What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

DC Search Including & beyond the 1st 4 Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are understating Ball´s resume here. You are right that it appears we struck out on our first 2 choices, but if we did get him, Ball is a sizable upgrade at the DC, not just incremental. I would be excited if he were to come to CU.

I mean, I guess. But it sure seems like a lot of hires would excite you in that case.

I guess I could ask why you are freaking out more now than you were a week ago.

That was actually a serious question with no condescension or sarcasm implied. I am really curious as to why you are no longer that concerned. I'm not freaking out at all. If anything, I feel like I was "freaking out" more about it after 2 weeks of no news than I am now. At this point, I'm still of the opinion that it has something to do with an NFL staff, so I'm not really freaking out. Of course, I could be completely wrong and in that case, I should be more concerned.

What a train wreck.....Shows you what the rest of the coaching world thinks of MM. We'll be the only program in the country who doesn't have a DC at the start of spring practice.....This guy is a clown.

Thats a little strong but Ill concede that its entirely possible, given the small community of the coaching world, that no one of established DC substance wants to work for Mike. Thus, it seems like we will be promoting a position coach and spending next year teaching him how to be a DC. Its not shaping up like were going to be getting a ton better on that side of the ball anytime soon.

We probably struck out on a few candidates and settled on ball but it's not the end of the world ball is very talented with DBs he's produced a lot of talent in the pac-12, and he loves running a hybrid defense which were basically recruiting.

I think we had someone picked out but along the way he got interest from others.

Its a legitimate problem that MacIntyres hiring AD is gone and that our defense far from a 1 year turn around. The job could be a step backwards for someone established. The risk profile too large.

The person we are getting close to is probably a position coach. Frankly, I think they should take as long as they like to insure they get the person with the best upside. This recruiting cycle is probably history.

It sucks that were not a destination anymore. But that turns on a dime if you get a great coach(es) again.

Its been well discussed who the two offers went out to. After Gibbs fell through, RG and MacIntyre have been thoroughly vetting many different candidates. Its been a long process, but they both know this is a very important hire. Its not lip service about building a foundation. They have been identifying the right coach who shares MacIntyre's defensive philosophy (butting heads all season with Baer), who wants to be a college DC and all the duties associated including recruiting and development. The amount of time it has taken is not due to a lack of interest in the job.

Its been well discussed who the two offers went out to. After Gibbs fell through, RG and MacIntyre have been thoroughly vetting many different candidates. Its been a long process, but they both know this is a very important hire. Its not lip service about building a foundation. They have been identifying the right coach who shares MacIntyre's defensive philosophy (butting heads all season with Baer), who wants to be a college DC and all the duties associated including recruiting and development. The amount of time it has taken is not due to a lack of interest in the job.

Good to hear.

No substance whatsoever. You have a proven track record of lying and being obstinate. The one time it was brutally bad, you bitched out and left the thread instead of owning up. Wasn't that when you said "some on this board think we should be recruiting with USC" or something inane like that?

No he said, "people like slider think we should be winning the Pac-12 by now." Then he said it was a joke afterwards. Or something like that...

No he said, "people like slider think we should be winning the Pac-12 by now." Then he said it was a joke afterwards. Or something like that...
he didn't name you specifically, but we all know who he meant. Doesn't make it any less dumb. The "hyperbole/joke" defense is hilariously pathetic.

That is the part I do not understand. Last year was Baer's and MacIntyre's 5th year of working together so you would of thought they would know each other pretty well. Plus Baer is the assistant that MacIntyre insisted get a multi-year contract. Seems to me something more was going on between them.

That is the part I do not understand. Last year was Baer's and MacIntyre's 5th year of working together so you would of thought they would know each other pretty well. Plus Baer is the assistant that MacIntyre insisted get a multi-year contract. Seems to me something more was going on between them.

Yeah I thought that was weird too. Not like Mac didn't know what he was getting when he brought Baer along.

I can see it. I've had issues at work that were similar. We'd worked together for years, had success in the past, and things were fine as we drew up our plan for the coming months. Then, when market conditions changed and the plan had to be adapted on the fly (similar to the defensive injuries this past season), we couldn't get on the same page on where and how to change the plan we had developed together.

And unlike us, who are more casual fans, MM has a couple mill a year riding on this decision.

I think we had someone picked out but along the way he got interest from others.

Its a legitimate problem that MacIntyres hiring AD is gone and that our defense far from a 1 year turn around. The job could be a step backwards for someone established. The risk profile too large.

The person we are getting close to is probably a position coach. Frankly, I think they should take as long as they like to insure they get the person with the best upside. This recruiting cycle is probably history.

It sucks that were not a destination anymore. But that turns on a dime if you get a great coach(es) again.

If Chris Ball is the guy, we're gonna need to give him the play sheet and a fair amount of autonomy.....I don't think the "Oh, we're gonna need to have him learn from MM for a year or two" will work....This guy has been coaching for 15 years and he's got a fair amount of Pac 12 experience.

I can see it. I've had issues at work that were similar. We'd worked together for years, had success in the past, and things were fine as we drew up our plan for the coming months. Then, when market conditions changed and the plan had to be adapted on the fly (similar to the defensive injuries this past season), we couldn't get on the same page on where and how to change the plan we had developed together.
Did you encourage him/her to pursue other opportunities?

I think the jury is still out. It hasn´t looked pretty but if we end up with someone the caliber of Ball, I am not sure HCMM or RG end up with any egg on their face. In fact I´d argue they look like heroes in a way.

Really? I guess I have a much higher standard for what a hero looks like than some people. Not ending up looking like a fool doesn't quite meet my standard.

Colorado football no longer exists in the minds of the national media. http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Jeez. And, just to make matters worse, next Athlon article ranked Fuskers stadium as a top collegiate football stadium in the nation.

Really? I went to that cement farm on miserable November days in Lincoln several times (all due respect to the farmers whom I do admire), really? Sigh.

We will hire a solid DC despite Athlons ambivalence towards the Buffs, and we are going to beat the corn when they get back to town.

he didn't name you specifically, but we all know who he meant. Doesn't make it any less dumb. The "hyperbole/joke" defense is hilariously pathetic.

How do you figure? When a person says something like, "That was the worst pass I've ever seen" during a game, is he/she to be taken seriously that it is literally the worst pass he/she has ever seen? Hyperbole is commonly used to exaggerate a point. I apologize I misrepresented your guys' expectations for this team, I didn't then and don't now actually believe you, or anyone else on these boards, think CU should be winning the Pac 12 right now.

Got to be a guy on the Patriots or Seahawks staff. DC at seattle is interviewing maybe, just maybe, CU is waiting to see how that all shakes out? Then pick the consolidation prize. Never know?

NOT. The delay in the search effort was never based on "unavailable" coaches. It has not gone as planned. Been saying this for awhile.

Sort of, but not quite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back