What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Forman's Challenge: Bulking up the Buffs

Having Samson on the strong side DE will be huge. We had 220-240 pound DE last year that got ate up. I think they still use him some at DT but love the idea of him being on the strong side. Should be a fun spring as the front 7 will have a tremendous amount of competition. Hopefully we can find 7 legit Pac 12 players there.

He needs to be close to it IMO.
Guy was all the way down to under 200 pounds. A 30-40 pound increase in the off season would be substantial and not sure would be good overall. Not saying it can't happen, but I think he maybe more ineffective gaining that much, that fast. He just doesn't seem to have the structure to hold close to 240 from my observation. Hope I'm wrong

Guy was all the way down to under 200 pounds. A 30-40 pound increase in the off season would be substantial and not sure would be good overall. Not saying it can't happen, but I think he maybe more ineffective gaining that much, that fast. He just doesn't seem to have the structure to hold close to 240 from my observation. Hope I'm wrong

He's probably going to get 10-15 back without trying, just like anyone else does within a month or two of going through the "flu diet". So I'd say that it's fair to say that the baseline is around 210/215. We need Gillam at 225/230. I think he's got the frame for 240, though.

He's probably going to get 10-15 back without trying, just like anyone else does within a month or two of going through the "flu diet". So I'd say that it's fair to say that the baseline is around 210/215. We need Gillam at 225/230. I think he's got the frame for 240, though.
If I can do it, he can.

Having Samson on the strong side DE will be huge. We had 220-240 pound DE last year that got ate up. I think they still use him some at DT but love the idea of him being on the strong side. Should be a fun spring as the front 7 will have a tremendous amount of competition. Hopefully we can find 7 legit Pac 12 players there.

Thought he was a DT...

Gilliam's going to fill out one of these years. He wasn't an early bloomer physically, his body is still maturing. I wouldn't surprise me if he hits 230+ by his senior year.

Agreed. I think he can keep his quickness at 230 or so.

I saw Samson a few days ago,Dude is easily every bit 6'5" 300Lbs now!! Bigger than ever! Will play the 3 position.

I would think a guy's frame would limit it, but men are still growing pretty significantly between 19 and 22, so I wouldn't put a limit on it. Please note my extensive knowledge in physiology and kinesiology :lol:

I used to lift with a guy who was 5'7" and was 190lbs with less than 10% body fat. Dude was friggin jacked and could squat over 600 with a 650 deadlift. His "frame" was as big as mine, but he put in his time and ate clean.

He was also 28 at the time and had been lifting since he was 14. Point being, these guys are still growing into their bodies. 22 isn't the peak of male strength, but it's as close as you can get from these guys still in school.

Wasn't this the mantra of the previous S&C coach who everyone hated?

Loved Doc Kreese. He is more McChesney type. Old school that gets results. Previous two guys were average. This guy still has former players saying not strong enough and they would know, they won.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When considering the 2015 defense, I am assuming that Carrell is an upgrade over Juda in the same role.

That puts the defensive losses as:

Gregory Henderson -- tough one. I'll be watching closely this spring to see whether Spoon emerges, Chido slides to corner or if there's some other guy who makes a leap and takes the spot. Might Devin Ross take his speed to the defensive side given the numbers at WR in his class and his position on the depth chart?

Woodson Greer -- Shaver (and probably Hasselbach, maybe Gilbert) are expected to get more time at OLB to take over those snaps. I don't think we'll lose much here. If anything, I think it's a wash on pass coverage and run defense with an upgrade to the blitz package.

Terrel Smith -- Played a lot of snaps, but much of that was due to injury. We'll know how well Bell returns from injury in fall camp. White is the guy who needs to make a step up in spring. Mosley's got one last chance to pull it together, too, coming off his injury. Surprise here might be the walk-on Moeller, who looked very active and effective when forced into action as a RS-Frosh at the end of last season.

Brady Daigh -- Run stopper who was a savior with the Gillam injuries. Can Watanabe be ready by fall camp to play this year instead of redshirting? Could Falo give something as a true frosh? Is Gamboa going to take advantage of offseason S&C to work himself into the mix? Will Rippy be a waste of a roster spot or become a contributor, especially for the ST units?

KT Tu'umalo -- Special teams LB who provided some depth and experience. Talianko and Severson should more than fill that role while also giving the defense something against passing teams.

The defense is set up to improve... significantly.
Not sure how much improvement we will see without a DC. Just kidding. Sort of.

I think there is more to Gilliam's illness than we know. It may be some condition or disease that he has that is causing this. I assume they are testing for this. If it is something small like celiac disease (gluten allergies), a diet change will fix it. If it is something more serious than that type of health issue it may be difficult for him to return to football. Hope for the best. Maybe he can redshirt this year to give his body a rest.

I think there is more to Gilliam's illness than we know. It may be some condition or disease that he has that is causing this. I assume they are testing for this. If it is something small like celiac disease (gluten allergies), a diet change will fix it. If it is something more serious than that type of health issue it may be difficult for him to return to football. Hope for the best. Maybe he can redshirt this year to give his body a rest.

Wow. That's really far down the path of dangerous speculation.

What has been reported:

1) Gillam lost a lot of weight and strength due to a nasty case of bronchitis he developed during fall camp.

2) Gillam also injured his elbow badly, which prevented him from being able to lift weights during the season.

3) Gillam had concussions during the season that also limited his ability to train.

4) By the end of the year, Gillam's weight had dropped to around 200 lbs and he's now back up to 215 heading into the spring semester.

5) HCMM and Forman have praised Gillam's work ethic and Gillam himself believes that 230 lbs is a reasonable target to be at for fall camp.

6) No reports have been made that there is a bigger issue at play, that Gillam won't be limited this spring, and that big things are expected of him in the 2015 season.

These are the facts as we know them.

One issue outside of this that has been rumored is that Gillam's nutrition and meal planning has room for improvement. Him taking better general care of his body will be very important to how he bounces back in 2015.

P Rich did look huge this year.

P Rich got huge last year as soon as he left CU, hired an agent, who, according to PRich, fed him much better than CU ever did.

:rolling_eyes:

The nutritional program that Jim McElwain brought with him from Alabama was world class though.

P Rich got huge last year as soon as he left CU, hired an agent, who, according to PRich, fed him much better than CU ever did.

:rolling_eyes:

The nutritional program that Jim McElwain brought with him from Alabama was world class though.

CU is not feeding the football team adequately. Ask the players how much money they get for food. How are these guys able to get the calories needed, most of these guys need to eat about 10,000 calories a day.

CU is not feeding the football team adequately. Ask the players how much money they get for food. How are these guys able to get the calories needed, most of these guys need to eat about 10,000 calories a day.

I believe they get exactly the money that the NCAA allows for food and rent stipend.

Back