What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Guess the Attendance: UCLA

Fun fact: Top attendance at Folsom was for the Fleetwood Mac/Bob Seger, Firefall concert in 1977 attendance was estimated at 61,500. Estimated because no one really knows it was likely a larger number. I believe CU Program Council had accidentally oversold tickets far past capacity. The pictures of that day are pretty amazing to look at it. There are crowds of people sitting on upper story windowsills.
20130429__30cdlcu3_500.jpg
61,499. I had a ticket but got grounded because I told my mom that Kirk's parents were driving us to the concert, but she found out it was really Kirk's stoner sister taking us.

Kinda sucked having a teacher for a mom sometimes. She knew, or found out everything.

Don't see any reason why the last 3 games shouldn't be sell-outs. Our fan base has been starved for a winning team since '05. If we can get past UCLA and then @Arizona, we should have an amazing atmosphere for the final two of the year!

I went to the CU ticket spot online today & bought a pair of tickets, so don't let the near sellout scare you. You can still get tickets from CU!

The south endzone is filling/filled in - the more expensive seats are moving slowly it appears

Notice the increased availability of tickets in 101?

UCLA returned a lot of their ticket allotment back to us.

Other Pac-12 fan bases suck at travel.

Yup but that's great. Makes for rowdy CU fans to get in and help us ride this train. Just have to start winning.

Gone are the days of the Bugeaters and KSU fans taking up a lot of space in Folsom.

One thing about the PAC-12 is that it revealed the problem and is forcing CU to get its house in order. CU can no longer rely on opponents to inflate ticket sales. No reason a top P5 program can't sell 50k tickets to its own fans.

This team is about to be ranked in the top 20, maybe the top 15, of the first CFP poll and it doesn't look like we are going to have a home sell out this year. Its pretty awful.

This team is about to be ranked in the top 20, maybe the top 15, of the first CFP poll and it doesn't look like we are going to have a home sell out this year. Its pretty awful.
If this game doesn't sell out, you don't think Wazzu or Utah will be, assuming we keep winning? I know the students won't all be around for the Utah game, but those tickets are still considered sold, right?

If this game doesn't sell out, you don't think Wazzu or Utah will be, assuming we keep winning? I know the students won't all be around for the Utah game, but those tickets are still considered sold, right?

If we can't sell out a primetime game against a big name conference opponent while the weather is still nice and there isn't much snow, no way do we sell out a game when its cold and the high country has gotten some snow.

most won't be around for WSU either.

going to take a few years to rebuild the fan base. Lots more people are interested, but the season ticket holder numbers are so low that it prevents walk up interest from being the cherry on top. Instead, we rely on walk up interest to fill way too much.

Maybe CU athletics has over valued their single game tickets. Other than a few $40 tix in the end zone $75 to $225 is an expensive night out for many people that will be rushing from work just to make the game.

I'm bummed that I'm going to be out of town for the game watching from a bar in Orlando.

If we can't sell out a primetime game against a big name conference opponent while the weather is still nice and there isn't much snow, no way do we sell out a game when its cold and the high country has gotten some snow.
Fair enough. I guess it still comes down to the fact that one great season (so far) doesn't simply erase a decade of the worst football this state has seen. Win the South, go to the Rose Bowl, and sustain this level of competitiveness over the next few seasons and we'll get the sellouts.

most won't be around for WSU either.
I wish I only had 6 months of obligations a year. **** I miss college.

Maybe CU athletics has over valued their single game tickets. Other than a few $40 tix in the end zone $75 to $225 is an expensive night out for many people that will be rushing from work just to make the game.

I'm bummed that I'm going to be out of town for the game watching from a bar in Orlando.
Yep. As Darth said, they are relying way too much this year on walk ups and single game ticket buyers to fill the stands. If you want a decent, non-endzone seat, it's minimum $80 after the taxes and fees for buying online. You can find Broncos tickets for slightly more expensive than that. Definitely too expensive right now, IMO.

I think this is a big part of it. RG is pricing tickets to maximize revenue, not completely fill the stands. It's still a little disappointing that we're not filling it at these prices though. CU fans have been treated pretty poorly over the years. It'll take a while for some of them to come back.

I think this is a big part of it. RG is pricing tickets to maximize revenue, not completely fill the stands. It's still a little disappointing that we're not filling it at these prices though. CU fans have been treated pretty poorly over the years. It'll take a while for some of them to come back.
lower the ticket price and maximize revenue through concession, merchandise and parking sales. this gets more butts in the seats, which benefits the team long term. I've always believed that nothing builds fan interest like having fun while attending a game. Lower the bar for entry and get more people interested in CU football. make up the money by having a larger captive audience inside Folsom buying ****.

I hope CU doesn't make these changes, but that merchandise and concession sales could also be improved if they changed the halftime re-admittance policy and changed the policy about letting fans bring in water bottles and small food items.

going to take a few years to rebuild the fan base. Lots more people are interested, but the season ticket holder numbers are so low that it prevents walk up interest from being the cherry on top. Instead, we rely on walk up interest to fill way too much.

Yes. The base needs to be rebuilt to what it was.

But where it was... that was also completely unacceptable. Even with that 1988-2001 period of being a top ten program (if not top five), playing in a conference that traveled well, and playing one of the best non-conference schedules in the nation every year... CU never sold out its home games in a season or built a donor culture.

This is not a "rebuild" of a base. This is really about building one for the first time in program history. In Colorado, it is not the norm for non-alums in every city and town to be wearing CU gear or for every townie bar to have CU swag on the wall & the CU games being some of their best business days of the year. That is the norm in other states. It's where CU needs to get to. And it is attainable.

This is the right answer.
  • 1987: 1 sellout (NU), team record 7-4
  • 1988: no sellouts, team record 8-4
  • 1989, we sold out 2 games
  • 1990, we sold out 4 and were a few hundred shy of selling out another
  • 1991, we sold out 5 games and were close on the last one

But where it was... that was also completely unacceptable. Even with that 1988-2001 period of being a top ten program (if not top five), playing in a conference that traveled well, and playing one of the best non-conference schedules in the nation every year... CU never sold out its home games in a season or built a donor culture.

This is not a "rebuild" of a base. This is really about building one for the first time in program history. In Colorado, it is not the norm for non-alums in every city and town to be wearing CU gear or for every townie bar to have CU swag on the wall & the CU games being some of their best business days of the year. That is the norm in other states. It's where CU needs to get to. And it is attainable.

CU could use a down year or two by the Broncos, but I agree it is in CU's grasp if they are proactive.

This is the right answer.
  • 1987: 1 sellout (NU), team record 7-4
  • 1988: no sellouts, team record 8-4
  • 1989, we sold out 2 games
  • 1990, we sold out 4 and were a few hundred shy of selling out another
  • 1991, we sold out 5 games and were close on the last one

It's actually embarrassing that a program could play in 2 straight national championship games, win the 2nd one, and not be able to sell out its home schedule the following year in a 55k capacity stadium.

It's actually embarrassing that a program could play in 2 straight national championship games, win the 2nd one, and not be able to sell out its home schedule the following year in a 55k capacity stadium.
Denver (and surrounding metro area) is a pro-sports town. Group the Mile High City with Boston, Seattle and NYC in this regard. Sports fans in some areas simply believe they're getting a better product if they know they are watching millionaires play instead of college kids, and they're willing to pay for that perceived better product.

Denver (and surrounding metro area) is a pro-sports town. Group the Mile High City with Boston, Seattle and NYC in this regard. Sports fans in some areas simply believe they're getting a better product if they know they are watching millionaires play instead of college kids, and they're willing to pay for that perceived better product.

Sure. And that's why Buffs FB & BB are considerably less expensive than the Broncos & Nuggets. I don't question that part of it. I question CU's marketing, PR, customer service and Gameday amenities being where they need to be to compete for a reasonable share of the state's sports entertainment dollar & attention. I believe that RG is doing good work in these areas, but there's a long way to go.

You think so? More and more people with no CU ties invade our state every year and isn't slowing. If we weren't able to be that kind of program after or during the glory years, what makes you think it is attainable now?

You think so? More and more people with no CU ties invade our state every year and isn't slowing. If we weren't able to be that kind of program after or during the glory years, what makes you think it is attainable now?
not to answer for 'Nik, but you pointed out yourself that the population in the area (i.e. total available customer base) is growing. even if the percent of that population that is interested in college football remains the same or grows, the potential sales of Folsom tickets should increase.

Don't have to be a native or alum. That is the first misconception that harms things and is self-limiting.

not to answer for 'Nik, but you pointed out yourself that the population in the area (i.e. total available customer base) is growing. even if the percent of that population that is interested in college football remains the same or grows, the potential sales of Folsom tickets should increase.

Don't have to be a native or alum. That is the first misconception that harms things and is self-limiting.
Fair enough. We'll have to see this level of success or more year in, year out for that to happen, IMO.

Back