What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Klatt seems to be enjoying The Rise a lot

Completely agree that Vandy and GT are at different levels. But I wouldn't sell GT too short. A quick glance at their wiki page shows they have 3 national titles (and one additional one shared that we won't recognize). Some guy named Heisman coached there. Plenty of conference titles. They do run an 'old-school' offense that is similar to Navy and Air Force. But that's Paul Johnson's thing. I hear the GT folks are getting tired of that O and the lack of D from Johnson's tenure. There's no reason why a qualified coach couldn't turn that program into a national powerhouse again. Tough competition, great school, more than adequate facilities and a storied history. Pretty good gig. I wouldn't say I worry about it, but I also wouldn't be shocked if HCMM had some attractiveness to the program from his past. Don't get me wrong, I think HCMM is in a great position at CU and I hope he sees it that way.

GT will always be second in the state to UGA and the SEC. Just how the environment has evolved.

Embree got more than a fair shot. He was hired as a head football coach when he had zero head coaching experience. He had zero experience as a coordinator, too. Saying he didnt get a fair shot is absurd.
Embree, two words = FRESNO. STATE.
That game was over when the CU "team" got off the bus.

GT will always be second in the state to UGA and the SEC. Just how the environment has evolved.
I thought we were talking about GT and Vandy. Yes, you're probably right. The state of Georgia could support multiple powerhouses just like Florida, Texas, and California can, though.

Honestly, I just love the fact that we can have this kind of convo again with the Buffs being in the conversation of national powerhouses. College football is awesome!

Different deal.

Rick Reilly is lower than sewer slime. Much of what he has written has no justification or reason other than to shock people into reading it.

Klatt has an ego, most highly successful people in his line of work do. He was also wrong for defending JE and Co. I think he was like a lot of former Buff players who saw Embree as one of their own and a guy who didn't get a fair shot.

Embree didn't get a fair shot but I think that in retrospect Klatt would admit that he wasn't the right guy even if he had gotten a fair shot and that in his anger turning it into a race issue was a huge mistake.
Point with Embree is that it wasn't fair that they even GAVE him a shot. Paramount to putting BCS in charge of special teams. Way underqualified for the position he was given. Then he compounded the issue by hiring unqualified coordinators.

GT can be a solid 9-10 team on their years, but fans out here overestimate GT's appeal IMO. Their fan support is weak. Their attendance is constantly inflated because everyone in the ACC sans the Northern newcomers has huge alumni bases in ATL and travel to Bobby Dodd in large numbers. It's a neutral environment when the likes of Clemson and FSU come to town.

Point with Embree is that it wasn't fair that they even GAVE him a shot. Paramount to putting BCS in charge of special teams. Way underqualified for the position he was given. Then he compounded the issue by hiring unqualified coordinators.

I don't know of any other P5 program that would have given him a shot with his background, we did.

You can't blame him for taking it though, he had dreamed of being a HC and of coaching at CU. He got a shot that he may never have gotten again and took it. I blame Bohn for hiring him but the people above Bohn even more for creating the situation in which they did hire him. They wanted someone cheap who they could sell to the fans as a CU guy.

I don't know of any other P5 program that would have given him a shot with his background, we did.

You can't blame him for taking it though, he had dreamed of being a HC and of coaching at CU. He got a shot that he may never have gotten again and took it. I blame Bohn for hiring him but the people above Bohn even more for creating the situation in which they did hire him. They wanted someone cheap who they could sell to the fans as a CU guy.
I don't blame JE for taking it. I do blame people above him for running the place into the ground, not letting MB fire Hawk when he was discovered to be a fraud, and making MB go cheap when hiring JE. Now MB gets blame for Hawks extension and being a crappy fundraiser.
JE gets blame for lack of people skills when recruiting and for bull**** racist claims. They would have been firing a white coach that was that shockingly bad of a coach.

I'd love to know if Bohn had much of a choice in the matter.

The finalists for the job, just to refresh everybody's memory, were JE and Eric Bienemy. Neither had any previous head coaching experience. I always kind of got the impression that Bohn was given marching orders to hire a CU guy and not to pay too much for him.

I don't blame JE for taking it. I do blame people above him for running the place into the ground, not letting MB fire Hawk when he was discovered to be a fraud, and making MB go cheap when hiring JE. Now MB gets blame for Hawks extension and being a crappy fundraiser.
JE gets blame for lack of people skills when recruiting and for bull**** racist claims. They would have been firing a white coach that was that shockingly bad of a coach.

The finalists for the job, just to refresh everybody's memory, were JE and Eric Bienemy. Neither had any previous head coaching experience. I always kind of got the impression that Bohn was given marching orders to hire a CU guy and not to pay too much for him.

All of the above.

We should never have been in that position to start with. And I still blame that useless pile in the Chancellors office for his part in the whole deal.

Wasn't Mac rumored to come back and groom them and take the heat off?

Wasn't Mac rumored to come back and groom them and take the heat off?
There was some talk about hiring Mac, yes. God only knows how that would have turned out. By that point, he had no connections in the coaching world. It would have been very difficult for him to assemble a staff.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight, but I have always speculated that the motive behind JE's hire was to bring somebody in cheap until Hawkins' contract was paid off, at which point we could afford to hire a "real" coach. A hungry up-and-comer with CU ties would be the ideal person in this situation. If this "interim" coach somehow managed to have some success, then no harm done and MB looks like a genius. On the other hand, if the "interim" coach were terrible (and JE was) then you could easily justify getting rid of them. In other words, I don't think JE ever fit into CU's long-term plans.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is on too tight, but I have always speculated that the motive behind JE's hire was to bring somebody in cheap until Hawkins' contract was paid off, at which point we could afford to hire a "real" coach. A hungry up-and-comer with CU ties would be the ideal person in this situation. If this "interim" coach somehow managed to have some success, then no harm done and MB looks like a genius. On the other hand, if the "interim" coach were terrible (and JE was) then you could easily justify getting rid of them. In other words, I don't think JE ever fit into CU's long-term plans.

That's ridiculous. Embree lasted two years because he was in over his head and surrounded himself with guys who were in over their heads. Moreover, the Klatt bashing in this thread is ridiculous, and that's coming from someone who wasn't a fan of Joel Klatt the morning show host on 104.3 the bronco. With that said, guys like Klatt and Fowler are now a tremendous sources of free exposure for this program and this university. Everytime they go on the radio and say positive things or tweet about CU......it helps, in particular when we've played five games in a row on a network that you don't get at home if you have DirectTV. What guys like he and Alfred said when this program was in the worst shape I've ever seen it (I'm 30-so I don't remember the Fairbanks era) is now water under the bridge. We're an unbeaten November away from ending a 9 year bowl drought with a trip to the Rose Bowl. Think about that for a second.

He wasn't coaching a P5 school.
So sustained success should have been an even more important consideration.

Which is more impressive, leading a G5 team to a great season, our leading a P5 team to a great station ?

So sustained success should have been an even more important consideration.

Which is more impressive, leading a G5 team to a great season, our leading a P5 team to a great station ?
I'm gonna assume that Timmy was outing you on a technicality, and was well aware of the inconsistency. In other words, it was a joke.

I think there has to be some truth to your scenario. Look at what Embree was paid and what everyone else in the Pac12 was getting for head coaching salaries.

As much as I love Mac, that is only way I could imagine the whole situation being even worse than it was.
There was some talk about hiring Mac, yes. God only knows how that would have turned out. By that point, he had no connections in the coaching world. It would have been very difficult for him to assemble a staff.
Mac would've taken us to another National Championship AND I'LL FIGHT ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE!!

Yes. Tennessee is a bigger draw than Vandy in Nashville and UGA is a bigger draw than GT in Atlanta.

Never lived down there but seems to me that in their states UGA and Tenn are bigger than the pro teams are. College football is a different deal in that part of the country.

Back