What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Klatt seems to be enjoying The Rise a lot

If the big boys - like the really big boys - come calling, MM would be dumb not to go and we couldn't match their offers.

But, that is not going to happen. He doesn't have enough P5 wins to get a call from someone like that. Maybe if we sustain this success for a few years and/or make a playoff appearance, but hopefully he'll have no reason to leave by then.

548480_461410623911391_213333955_n.jpg

This popped up today on my facebook memories from 4 years ago. The Rise is real!

If the big boys - like the really big boys - come calling, MM would be dumb not to go and we couldn't match their offers.

But, that is not going to happen. He doesn't have enough P5 wins to get a call from someone like that. Maybe if we sustain this success for a few years and/or make a playoff appearance, but hopefully he'll have no reason to leave by then.
I get that is has only been one season but let's say he wins out the regular season and goes to the rose bowl. That turnaround from the worst team in the P5 to winning the Pac-12 South in 4 years is nothing short of remarkable. Smart AD's would take notice.

That's ridiculous. Embree lasted two years because he was in over his head and surrounded himself with guys who were in over their heads. Moreover, the Klatt bashing in this thread is ridiculous, and that's coming from someone who wasn't a fan of Joel Klatt the morning show host on 104.3 the bronco. With that said, guys like Klatt and Fowler are now a tremendous sources of free exposure for this program and this university. Everytime they go on the radio and say positive things or tweet about CU......it helps, in particular when we've played five games in a row on a network that you don't get at home if you have DirectTV. What guys like he and Alfred said when this program was in the worst shape I've ever seen it (I'm 30-so I don't remember the Fairbanks era) is now water under the bridge. We're an unbeaten November away from ending a 9 year bowl drought with a trip to the Rose Bowl. Think about that for a second.

yes. Even dicks can serve a purpose.

Last edited:

I get that is has only been one season but let's say he wins out the regular season and goes to the rose bowl. That turnaround from the worst team in the P5 to winning the Pac-12 South in 4 years is nothing short of remarkable. Smart AD's would take notice.

We need to get over our inferiority complex.

Realistically we aren't one of the "big boys" but we aren't that far away.

How many schools are a better situation than M2 has here. Look at support, facilities, budget, recruiting market and ease of recruiting to the school, and other factors.

No we aren't Bama, or tOSU, or Mich, or Texas, or USC but anyone taking a rational look will see that it is hard to find 20 places that are better than CU when we have administrative support like we have now.

Lots of 20-60 schools would love to have M2 if he takes us to a major bowl but one or two good seasons isn't going to be enough to get the top 10 situations interested in him.

As long as RG is willing to step up and give him and his staff fair contracts we shouldn't have to worry now or in the next couple years.

I will never forgive Klatt and Coach Mac for the Embree incident. They put their own personal agendas above the good of the program. Plus Klatt was a total douche when he was here on local radio. And this is coming from a guy who attended CU during the Klatt years and was definitely a fan.

Klatt was and is one of my favorite Buffs. He's a rising star in his field and he goes out of his way to promote us, help with CU video etc. Guessing he's done more for CU football than 95% of those on the forum(probably more). So, yeah... he's good in my book

I know this is an unpopular viewpoint - but I think you could argue that his negative PR campaign during the Embree years and the subsuquent years-long slog it took to recover were actually more damaging than any positive contributions he's made.

I know this is an unpopular viewpoint - but I think you could argue that his negative PR campaign during the Embree years and the subsuquent years-long slog it took to recover were actually more damaging than any positive contributions he's made.
Ummm absolutely not.

One COULD argue that, but one would be a ****ing dumbass.
Oh, ok, well since you guys said so it must be true.

I lived through it - I was there - and I think he ripped this ****ing program apart along with Coach Mac. He's a narcissistic douche and he set this program back years and I have no interest in welcoming him back on the bandwagon. I think it's fine if you guys want to - but I'm just telling you how I feel.

I lived through it - I was there - and I think he ripped this ****ing program apart along with Coach Mac. He's a narcissistic douche and he set this program back years and I have no interest in welcoming him back on the bandwagon. I think it's fine if you guys want to - but I'm just telling you how I feel.
Hey. **** face. We all lived through it. You are not special. I'm also fairly positive that years of self-imposed sanctions, lack of administrative support, poor recruiting, huge attrition, awful class balance, atrocious coaching, extreme nepotism, and multiple hires and fires from the same idiotic AD is what set this program back years, not one of the all time great CU QBs that bleeds black and gold.

Hey. **** face. We all lived through it. You are not special. I'm also fairly positive that years of poor recruiting, huge attrition, awful class balance, atrocious coaching, extreme nepotism, and multiple hires and fires from the same idiotic AD is what set this program back years, not one of the all time great CU QBs that bleeds black and gold.

Klatt is prick, I hate him. Go **** yourself. There, I feel better - how about you?

If the bandwagon is reserved for folks who have never uttered something negative about the Buffs, it's gonna be really empty.
I've uttered many many negative things about the Buffs - which is different than getting up on a national soap box and suggesting that your administration is racist and dysfunctional because they are getting rid of your incompetent buddy.

I think Mac will have established himself as a bona-fide turnaround expert, but not necessarily shown he can sustain success. A lot of big time programs looking for coaches won't be in full on rebuilding mode, and to them Mac may not be the right fit like he appears to be here. Now if he keeps winning like this for another year or two, that's a different story.

I've uttered many many negative things about the Buffs - which is different than getting up on a national soap box and suggesting that your administration is racist and dysfunctional because they are getting rid of your incompetent buddy.
The administration and AD were completely dysfunctional. Just because you refused to believe it doesn't make it inaccurate.

The administration and AD were completely dysfunctional. Just because you refused to believe it doesn't make it inaccurate.
And Embree was literally the worst coach I'd ever seen in my entire life. We could have kept the problems in-house, but they decided to take their personal vendetta national. It was a selfish and destructive move - and frankly I just think Klatt is a pompous know-it-all anyway - so that was the icing on the cake for me.

I welcome his positive PR now - but it's too little and too late for me. It's sort of like a bad break up with a girl who you once loved.

And Embree was literally the worst coach I'd ever seen in my entire life. We could have kept the problems in-house, but they decided to take their personal vendetta national. It was a selfish and destructive move - and frankly I just think Klatt is a pompous know-it-all anyway - so that was the icing on the cake for me.

I welcome his positive PR now - but it's too little and too late for me. It's sort of like a bad break up with a girl who you once loved.
Others have said this, but it wasn't that Klatt thought Embree was some awesome coach that deserved 4+ years to turn things around. The biggest issue he had was that Mike Bohn got to fire him AND THEN turn around and hire another coach. He, and many others, felt that Bohn should have been fired and not allowed to choose the next football coach. What AD gets to hire 3 different football coaches over the course of 7 years?

You lived through it?? How long ago do you think this was?

Lighten up, Francis. Literally nothing about CU football has been "national" for a decade or so. Embree's press conference amounted to a gnat's fart, it wasn't "destructive" in the least. Poll college football fans today and most couldn't tell you who coaches CU now, much less who the prior coach was.

I love that people talk about wanting to be a big time program, and then do small time **** like wanting to excommunicate anyone who dared to speak up about how they felt during a really bad time. Coaching changes are messy. Failure is messy.

Klatt and McCartney are Buffs. For life. As such, they are passionate about the program, but even more so about their fellow Buffs.

Given how things are shaking out for the Buffs now, it is pretty hard to argue that Klatt and McCartney "set the program back years".

Let's just all agree that the Embree era, for reasons in his control and well out of it, was the worst situation possible for him, the team, and the fan base. It sucked, and it was made all the worse by the way the alumni, both former players and non-players, turned on each other.

But, it's in the past, the Rise is real, and all should be forgotten and forgiven. Yeah, Klatt still can come off as a bit of an arrogant d-bag sometimes, but he was a hell of a tough SOB as a QB here, he bleeds black and gold, and he is representing us well nationally now.

Plus, his story is pretty inspiring, too. I have to admit that's what finally turned me around on him. My brother is an alcoholic, so I have a soft spot for guys that are living with that struggle daily.

I love that people talk about wanting to be a big time program, and then do small time **** like wanting to excommunicate anyone who dared to speak up about how they felt during a really bad time. Coaching changes are messy. Failure is messy.

Klatt and McCartney are Buffs. For life. As such, they are passionate about the program, but even more so about their fellow Buffs.

Given how things are shaking out for the Buffs now, it is pretty hard to argue that Klatt and McCartney "set the program back years".

Correct. This thread is a funny read though.

Back