What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nick Hirschman Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hirsch should have gave the guys behind him the practice time if he knew he was going to transfer. If he didn't know and was disappointed = (transferred) that he did not "become" the starter, well that is selfish. I wish him luck since he is always a Buff, but call me disappointed. Kids these days, like so many others, have become so self in-titled.

Selfish is a bad thing?

He's going into his 4th year, won't be the starter, and has his degree. If I'm his dad I'm telling him to get a grad degree paid for somewhere he can be the starting QB for 2 years.

Hirsch should have gave the guys behind him the practice time if he knew he was going to transfer. If he didn't know and was disappointed = (transferred) that he did not "become" the starter, well that is selfish. I wish him luck since he is always a Buff, but call me disappointed. Kids these days, like so many others, have become so self in-titled.

If you recall, HCMM told the current players he would not honor any transfer requests until after spring ball, to give the new coaching staff a chance to see what they had, and to give the players a chance to see if things might be different.

Nick honored that request by going through spring ball. With rumblings of a JC player coming in, and no clear outcome after spring, he is moving on. Do not see this as selfish. Is it more or less selfish than a player who thinks he is not going to see the field sitting on the bench and using a scholly? Both happen all the time. It's just life. It's just football.

Selfish is a bad thing?

He's going into his 4th year, won't be the starter, and has his degree. If I'm his dad I'm telling him to get a grad degree paid for somewhere he can be the starting QB for 2 years.
I understand and agree with that...but, Nick is one snap/play from being the starter, if all that we witnessed and heard about this spring is true. I would just think one more season at CU. Not so anxious to pull the trigger 2 days after spring ball? Maybe the coaches gave him some insight. (not the #2 guy?). Who knows? I do wish him luck!!

At this point, either Dillon, Sefo or Schrock are likely to get significant PT next year (with seemingly no JC options).

^^^ That;s the way I see it too. I have no issues with his decision. He earned his degree and did everything asked of him. I wish him luck.

^^^ That;s the way I see it too. I have no issues with his decision. He earned his degree and did everything asked of him. I wish him luck.
The problem is, HCMM had stated from the onset of spring ball that the competition would be open through fall camp, so its not like it came as a shock to him.

The problem is, HCMM had stated from the onset of spring ball that the competition would be open through fall camp, so its not like it came as a shock to him.
He also asked everyone to hold transfer requests until after spring practice. Hirschman did everything asked of him.

He weighed his options. It was his choice and he made it. Time to move on.

^^This^^

He came in and competed, he represented the program to the best of his ability and in a positive manner, he got a degree.

Now he has the right to move on with what is best for him in his life. He is looking for a chance to play instead of watch and more importantly get the education that he thinks fits him best for his needs.

If I had a son who's choices were to stick around Boulder as a likely back-up or to potentially go someplace else and start, especially with the prospect of a quality Graduate degree thrown in I'd help him pack.

He's given us what he owed us, now we owe him the respect for doing his part and making his own decisions.

He didn't throw anyone under the bus. I wish him well. He's been a good Buff.

bcs - and now you have a reminder of why it's an Allbuffs sin to link a Henderson article. His spin on this story created a negative impression of this kid as a selfish, entitled ego problem. Whereas the truth of the situation is that he knew he was graduating, HCMM asked that no one make a transfer decision until after the spring, Hirsch honored that, and he also had decided that if he didn't win the job this spring that it would be best for him to pursue his opportunities elsewhere (which also means that if he'd won the job he wasn't going to leave his teammates high and dry).

bcs - and now you have a reminder of why it's an Allbuffs sin to link a Henderson article. His spin on this story created a negative impression of this kid as a selfish, entitled ego problem. Whereas the truth of the situation is that he knew he was graduating, HCMM asked that no one make a transfer decision until after the spring, Hirsch honored that, and he also had decided that if he didn't win the job this spring that it would be best for him to pursue his opportunities elsewhere (which also means that if he'd won the job he wasn't going to leave his teammates high and dry).

I'm the asshole...I completely forgot about the pledge... Sorry Nick

Don't understand his logic. Wood hasn't even technically won the job yet and even if he does being the #2 guy behind a starter who isn't very good and will likely get beat up this year is likely to yield a decent amount of playing time. There is also no guarantee that he'll end up the starter at whatever school he transfers too; he's not exactly God's gift to the world of quarterbacking. He could find himself in the same position he is now or even worse and even if he is a starter it could be at a place like Idaho State. I can't imagine schools will be lining up to get him and if he wants to play right away his options are further limited by having to find a school that has a grad program CU doesn't. There is also more to college-life then just the football aspect, your not just transferring from the football team, your leaving your friends, your slams, Boulder, whatever identity/niche you've established, etc.

I don't understand how a (any) team builds depth if its now cool for the #2 guy to transfer when he doesn't win the starting job. If Hirschman doesn't want to be at CU, I don't want him. Good luck wherever he ends up, I just won't be rooting for him.

Surprised some people don't understand the move. It makes perfect sense to me.

Outside of me understanding it and supporting it because I think it's best for Hirsch... I also think it's best for the program.

I don't believe we were going to win any games with Hirsch as our starter. He's not the kind of guy who is going to make explosive plays when things break down (like Hansen could or Wood has the potential for). We've got too many holes for a QB like Hirsch to be successful at CU, imho. I'd rather we move on and get more reps to the other guys who are currently raw but might develop into what we need.

Outside of me understanding it and supporting it because I think it's best for Hirsch... I also think it's best for the program.

I don't believe we were going to win any games with Hirsch as our starter. He's not the kind of guy who is going to make explosive plays when things break down (like Hansen could or Wood has the potential for). We've got too many holes for a QB like Hirsch to be successful at CU, imho. I'd rather we move on and get more reps to the other guys who are currently raw but might develop into what we need.

I agree and also think that Hirsch leaving will help Wood and the new guys. Every indication is that Hirsch is a great guy who is well liked by teammates. He has been around long enough and been an important enough part of the program that he will have at least some guys who think he should be the starter or will be looking for him if Wood slips a little bit. By Hirsch leaving it gives Wood that chance to show that he can take the reigns and be the leader of the offense like a QB needs to be. If there was ever a team that needed to get everyone on the same page, this one is it.

Don't understand his logic. Wood hasn't even technically won the job yet and even if he does being the #2 guy behind a starter who isn't very good and will likely get beat up this year is likely to yield a decent amount of playing time. There is also no guarantee that he'll end up the starter at whatever school he transfers too; he's not exactly God's gift to the world of quarterbacking. He could find himself in the same position he is now or even worse and even if he is a starter it could be at a place like Idaho State. I can't imagine schools will be lining up to get him and if he wants to play right away his options are further limited by having to find a school that has a grad program CU doesn't. There is also more to college-life then just the football aspect, your not just transferring from the football team, your leaving your friends, your slams, Boulder, whatever identity/niche you've established, etc.

The reason you don't understand is because you appear to be dense. Two words: Ivy League. If he gets a schollie at an Ivy League, not only is he likely to be a starter, but he gets a phenomenal opportunity to get a degree that will likely have him earning 6 figures almost immediately.

The reason you don't understand is because you appear to be dense. Two words: Ivy League. If he gets a schollie at an Ivy League, not only is he likely to be a starter, but he gets a phenomenal opportunity to get a degree that will likely have him earning 6 figures almost immediately.

Maybe you and everybody else here who spouts off" He can get an Ivy League schollie") are the "dense" ones?

Ivies do not give athletic schollies:

"Ivy League schools only award financial aid according to financial need, not athletic or academic ability. Ivy League schools have very high standards for acceptance and they do not give out financial awards after acceptance for anything other than family need. Ivy League coaches can, however, help student-athletes gain acceptance with academic qualifications that are much lower than the average applicant. It is important to note that this preferential treatment through the admissions process is not given to all athletes but only to those who a coach is seriously recruiting"

Read more: Ask Coach Taylor - Do Ivy League Schools Offer Athletic Scholarships? - NCSA Athletic Recruiting Blog http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2009...ls-offer-athletic-scholarships/#ixzz2RToEWyJC

This is the exact type of attitude that has put CU in the cellar. Selfish, self centered play. First of all he was a co #1. He obviously has no swagger or confidence. I want a QB who thinks he is gonna beat everyone out. I want a guy who will push themselves, not quit when things are not going your way. I liked him and wish him the best of luck but this is the exact type of attitude we have to eradicate in Boulder.

I don't understand how a (any) team builds depth if its now cool for the #2 guy to transfer when he doesn't win the starting job. If Hirschman doesn't want to be at CU, I don't want him. Good luck wherever he ends up, I just won't be rooting for him.
How many #2s have a degree with 2 years of eligibility remaining? I think this is the exception rather than the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back