What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2014 Bubble Watch Thread

Xavier defeats #9 Creighton. Should lock up Xavier's bid.

Cal falls 78-60 at ASU. ASU is about locked in, IMO. Cal is in a rut like we are, their RPI is now down to 51. Pressure is on.

Sunday:

St. John's 18-11 (8-8) vs DePaul 11-18 (3-13): St. John's has lost two straight, including a home defeat to Xavier in a game they really needed. Lunardi's last update had them as the final team in, while Bracket Matrix has them "first four out". RPI is 61. Beating DePaul is obviously a must. After that @ Marquette is their final regular season game. St. John's needs both wins and then they need to do some damage in the Big East tournament.

Florida State 16-11 (7-8) vs Georgia Tech 13-15 (4-11): Noles are Lunardi's first team out, 3rd team out on Bracket Matrix. RPI 57. This has been a disappointing ACC campaign for them. They won @ Pitt in their most recent game to keep Dance hopes alive. Beating Georgia Tech is a must. Then it's @ Boston College and home against Syracuse. Wins over GT and BC simply have to happen or FSU is toast. They really need a quality ACC win to show they belong after looking like **** for the last two months. Syracuse probably has to be a win, too. When you're on the outside you've got to do something big to get yourself in..

Stanford 18-9 (9-6) @ #3 Arizona 26-2 (13-2): Both Lunardi and Bracket Matrix have Stanford a 9 seed. RPI is 43. Stanford is coming off a 12 point loss at ASU. Cardinal probably only need one more win (a winning record in the Pac isn't getting turned away this year). They've got the quality wins, only one bad loss (103 Oregon State). Hard to see a win here in Tucson but they should find a win in Palo Alto against the Buffs or Utes and that should pretty much seal the deal.

I actually like Stanford's resume quite a bit. The main hole, imo, is that other than the handful of marquee games in its OOC, Furd scheduled a lot of cupcakes instead of risking those dangerous games against the second 100 in the RPI.

Monday:

Xavier 20-9 (10-6) @ Seton Hall 14-15 (5-11): Xavier is fresh off a win over Creighton that likely locked up their Dance ticket. RPI is 37. Big wins over Cincinnati and Creighton, along with a bunch of bubble teams. 2 sub 100 losses (USC and Seton Hall). Don't want to be swept by Seton Hall, but even if it happens they're probably still in. After this they end the regular season with Villanova at home. I suppose 2 losses and a bad Big East Tournament loss could bring their fate back into question, but it's unlikely they get turned away.

Oklahoma State 19-10 (7-9) vs Kansas State 20-9 (10-6): Okie State is fresh off a huge win over Kansas. If the selection was right now, they'd be in without a doubt, IMO. RPI is 44. Still will want one more win to feel truly comfortable. After this they close the regular season @ Iowa State.

Pittsburgh 22-7 (10-6) vs NC State 17-12 (7-9): Just updating that Pitt is assured of being in. They successfully navigated the "can't lose" games Boston College and Notre Dame. They still only have that 1 top 50 win (over Stanford in November), but they aren't turning away an ACC squad that's already well over 20 wins and has no bad losses. RPI is 45. After this they close the regular season @ Clemson.

Tuesday:

Georgetown 16-12 (7-9) vs #13 Creighton 23-5 (13-3): Georgetown is in Lunardi's "Next Four Out". They are coming off a crushing 2 point loss at Marquette. RPI is 63. Hoyas are looking increasingly unlikely to Dance, but the chance is still there as closing the regular season with Creighton and @ Villanova presents the opportunity for high quality wins that will propel them forward. Georgetown has quality wins over Michigan State, Kansas State, VCU, Xavier...but lost to Northeastern and got swept by Seton Hall. They probably need to beat both Creighton and Villanova. Daunting task.

Baylor 19-10 (7-9) vs #16 Iowa State 22-6 (10-6): Baylor is currently holding the next to last bye according to Lunardi (meaning they're 6 places away from the cut line). RPI is 45. They have won 5/6, most recently beating Texas Tech in Waco. If they can beat the Cyclones, it should be enough. After this they close the regular season @ Kansas State. Their poor conference record also has them at risk of having to play an extra Big XII tournament game (if it ended today they'd have to face Texas Tech and risk a bad loss). One more win should get Baylor a Dance ticket. But if they were to lose these final two regular season games and then take a bad loss to a team like Texas Tech in the conference tournament, it would be a dicey Selection Sunday for the Bears.

Florida State 17-11 (8-8) @ Boston College 8-21 (4-12): FSU is still in the picture after winning their last 2 (@ Pitt, Georgia Tech). Lunardi has them in his "First Four Out" (4th team out). RPI is 57. Quality wins over VCU, Pitt and UMass all of which came away from home. Only one bad loss (108 Miami). Frankly anyone who has seen FSU in ACC play knows they aren't playing at a high level and probably deserve the NIT, but with the bubble so weak, they're still in the picture. Obviously Boston College absolutely has to be a win. They then end the regular season with Syracuse at home. Seminoles will need that one too, às a win over BC won't do anything to move them forward and a .500 record in this year's ACC won't cut it. If they can win these final two, they'll have a very real chance of getting in. A home game against a high quality opponent to end the regular season is a golden opportunity for FSU. We'll see if they can take advantage.

Providence 19-10 (9-7) vs Marquette 17-12 (9-7): Providence is Lunardi's first team out. RPI is 56. Quality wins over Creighton and Xavier, bad loss to Seton Hall. This game against Marquette is a must-win, as after this they close the regular season @ Creighton (very likely they lose). Friars will need to beat Marquette and avoid a bad loss in their first game in the Big East Tournament. Stay tuned, Providence is likely going to be one of those bubble teams the tv crew puts cameras on for Selection Sunday. Could go either way.

Oregon 20-8 (8-8) vs Arizona State 21-8 (10-6): Ducks are in Lunardi's "Last Four In" (3rd to last). RPI is 33. Ducks were the beneficiary of getting a huge road win at UCLA in 2OT due to the Bruins suspending their top two players for that game. Luck seems to be on Oregon's side lately, we'll see if it continues. This is a huge opportunity for a quality win that would ensure a non-losing conference record. Given that Arizona is next, Oregon will want to make sure they get this victory over the Sun Devils. Arizona has wrapped up the Pac-12 regular season title but they'll be wanting to make sure they get a 1 seed. If Oregon beats ASU and avoids a bad loss in the Pac12 tournament, they're in IMO (obviously a win over Arizona would do the trick, too. I just don't see Zona as a must-win game for the Ducks if they beat ASU). For those wondering, Arizona State is completely safe at this point. Likely an 8 seed.

I just realized that if FSU doesn't break thru the ACC is only looking at 5 bids. There's quite a drop-off after the top 4 in that conference.

So, are we rooting for all the bubble teams to lose so that there will be a soft(er) bubble for us?

Some of you SOB's need to become club members so I don't have to stare at Dan Hawkins 30 times in one thread.

I just realized that if FSU doesn't break thru the ACC is only looking at 5 bids. There's quite a drop-off after the top 4 in that conference.

Bottom 9 (10 really because FSU honestly is not very good) in the ACC is truly awful. Was not supposed to be this bad. Teams like Maryland should be better than the 15-14 they are. Hell, preseason many thought BC was a dark horse to make the Dance!

Huge win for Georgetown over Creighton. Still work to do, but big step in the right direction.

Baylor is pretty much safe after beating Iowa St and hitting 20 wins, IMO.

Providence gets a double overtime win over Marquette to stay alive. Providence was viewed as being right on the wrong side of things (like, the first team left out) before this win. Highly unlikely they win their final game (at Creighton) so Providence's fate will be determined in the conference tournament.

Providence gets a double overtime win over Marquette to stay alive. Providence was viewed as being right on the wrong side of things (like, the first team left out) before this win. Highly unlikely they win their final game (at Creighton) so Providence's fate will be determined in the conference tournament.

I wouldn't write Providence off in that Creighton game. They handled them last time. Batts & Henton give the Friars a good, physical matchup against McDermott and Wragge. And then Cotton's going to be the best guard on the court. It's a good matchup for Providence.

I wouldn't write Providence off in that Creighton game. They handled them last time. Batts & Henton give the Friars a good, physical matchup against McDermott and Wragge. And then Cotton's going to be the best guard on the court. It's a good matchup for Providence.

they were impressive against Creighton the first go around, no doubt. Creighton has lost 2 in a row though so I think they'll be fired up. Creighton is also undefeated at home. Friars have a shot, a win would be huge but a loss isn't fatal.

Oregon gets the win over Arizona State. I think the Ducks are in now. They've locked up at least a .500 conference record. Their RPI is in great shape and I just don't see enough teams on the outside who can out-do their resume. As a side note, we REALLY need to get a win at Stanford or Cal. Oregon can finish ahead of us now if they beat Arizona in Eugene and we lose both games. Not to mention the threats posed by Washington and Utah to overtake us if we lose both this week...

Oregon gets the win over Arizona State. I think the Ducks are in now. They've locked up at least a .500 conference record. Their RPI is in great shape and I just don't see enough teams on the outside who can out-do their resume. As a side note, we REALLY need to get a win at Stanford or Cal. Oregon can finish ahead of us now if they beat Arizona in Eugene and we lose both games. Not to mention the threats posed by Washington and Utah to overtake us if we lose both this week...

I didnt think this would happen when we were 4 games ahead of them....

Wednesday:

Our Buffs 20-9 (9-7) are on the road at Stanford 18-10 (9-7): Both teams are in for now. Lunardi has CU and Stanford both 10 seeds, while Bracket Matrix has Stanford a 9 and CU a 10. CU RPI is 32, Stanford 42. While it's unlikely either team doesn't Dance, neither is a "lock". Both teams are looking for that one last win to seal the deal. Obviously this is also a huge game for Pac-12 tournament seeding. Buff fans took over Maples last year on a Wednesday, hopefully you Bay Area Buffs can do the same this year.

Nebraska 17-11 (9-7) @ Indiana 17-12 (7-9): It's a strange year when a Nebraska/Indiana game has me talking about Nebraska potentially Dancing while Indiana has no shot for an at-large. Nebraska is currently Lunardi's 2nd team out, while Bracket Matrix has them the 5th team out. Nebraska's RPI is 59. The Corn have to win this to realistically stay in the hunt. After this, they end the regular season hosting Wisconsin. If they can win these two, I think they Dance. An 11-7 B1G record would be awfully tough to turn away.

Tennessee 18-11 (9-7) @ Auburn 13-14 (5-11): Lunardi has the Vols his next to last team in, while Bracket Matrix has them the last team in. RPI is 49. Vols are coming off a 76-38 win over Vanderbilt, the first game in a while where they resembled an NCAA Tournament team. Still just two top 50 wins (Virginia and Xavier). Winning at Auburn is an absolute must. After this, they end the regular season at home against fellow SEC bubble squad Missouri.

Missouri 20-9 (8-8) vs Texas A&M 17-12 (8-8): Missouri's woeful recent play as of late has caught up with them. Lunardi has them as his 5th team out, while Bracket Matrix has them the first team out. RPI is 52. Tigers have just 2 top 50 wins (one being against 49 Tennessee). Texas A&M is a must-win, another sub-100 loss would end Missouri's hopes right then and there. After this, they close the regular season @ Tennessee. It's unlikely both Tennessee and Missouri get in. That game in Knoxville is looking more and more like a bubble elimination game.

Arkansas 20-9 (9-7) vs Ole Miss 17-12 (8-8): Lunardi has Arkansas his fourth to last team in, Bracket Matrix has them third to last in. RPI is 58. Arkansas has 4 top 50 wins, including a sweep of Kentucky and only 1 bad loss (Texas A&M). Their resume is more impressive than both Tennessee's and Missouri's. Still, they cannot afford to take a home loss to Ole Miss, and they absolutely must win @ Alabama in their final regular season game. As long as Arkansas wins these final two (they should) and avoid a sub-100 loss in the SEC tournament, they should make it in.

Dayton 20-9 (8-6) @ #17 Saint Louis 25-4 (12-2): Lunardi has Dayton the 6th team out, Bracket Matrix has them the 2nd team out. RPI is 47. Here is Dayton's big chance. Flyers have won 7/8 to give themselves this opportunity. If they can win in Saint Louis, they deserve serious consideration for a bid. If they lose, they're probably done. Their final remaining game is home against Richmond (Spiders have fallen off) and they'd need to make the A10 tournament final and get major outside help.

Cal 18-11 (9-7) vs Utah 19-9 (8-8): Lunardi has Cal in his "Last Four Byes" and Bracket Matrix has them as the 4th to last team in. RPI is 54. Cal is on shaky ground. They've lost 3/4 with the only win being at home against USC and the losses coming by 18, 20 and 28. They're riding that Arizona win for all it's worth, but this is also the 1 team USC has managed to beat in Pac12 play. Cal has got to get at least 1 more win or else they will be a serious risk to get left out.
Utah is a tough out, home or away. We'll see how Cal responds to the pressure.

Wednesday:

Our Buffs 20-9 (9-7) are on the road at Stanford 18-10 (9-7): Both teams are in for now. Lunardi has CU and Stanford both 10 seeds, while Bracket Matrix has Stanford a 9 and CU a 10. CU RPI is 32, Stanford 42. While it's unlikely either team doesn't Dance, neither is a "lock". Both teams are looking for that one last win to seal the deal. Obviously this is also a huge game for Pac-12 tournament seeding. Buff fans took over Maples last year on a Wednesday, hopefully you Bay Area Buffs can do the same this year.

Nebraska 17-11 (9-7) @ Indiana 17-12 (7-9): It's a strange year when a Nebraska/Indiana game has me talking about Nebraska potentially Dancing while Indiana has no shot for an at-large. Nebraska is currently Lunardi's 2nd team out, while Bracket Matrix has them the 5th team out. Nebraska's RPI is 59. The Corn have to win this to realistically stay in the hunt. After this, they end the regular season hosting Wisconsin. If they can win these two, I think they Dance. An 11-7 B1G record would be awfully tough to turn away.

Tennessee 18-11 (9-7) @ Auburn 13-14 (5-11): Lunardi has the Vols his next to last team in, while Bracket Matrix has them the last team in. RPI is 49. Vols are coming off a 76-38 win over Vanderbilt, the first game in a while where they resembled an NCAA Tournament team. Still just two top 50 wins (Virginia and Xavier). Winning at Auburn is an absolute must. After this, they end the regular season at home against fellow SEC bubble squad Missouri.

Missouri 20-9 (8-8) vs Texas A&M 17-12 (8-8): Missouri's woeful recent play as of late has caught up with them. Lunardi has them as his 5th team out, while Bracket Matrix has them the first team out. RPI is 52. Tigers have just 2 top 50 wins (one being against 49 Tennessee). Texas A&M is a must-win, another sub-100 loss would end Missouri's hopes right then and there. After this, they close the regular season @ Tennessee. It's unlikely both Tennessee and Missouri get in. That game in Knoxville is looking more and more like a bubble elimination game.

Arkansas 20-9 (9-7) vs Ole Miss 17-12 (8-8): Lunardi has Arkansas his fourth to last team in, Bracket Matrix has them third to last in. RPI is 58. Arkansas has 4 top 50 wins, including a sweep of Kentucky and only 1 bad loss (Texas A&M). Their resume is more impressive than both Tennessee's and Missouri's. Still, they cannot afford to take a home loss to Ole Miss, and they absolutely must win @ Alabama in their final regular season game. As long as Arkansas wins these final two (they should) and avoid a sub-100 loss in the SEC tournament, they should make it in.

Dayton 20-9 (8-6) @ #17 Saint Louis 25-4 (12-2): Lunardi has Dayton the 6th team out, Bracket Matrix has them the 2nd team out. RPI is 47. Here is Dayton's big chance. Flyers have won 7/8 to give themselves this opportunity. If they can win in Saint Louis, they deserve serious consideration for a bid. If they lose, they're probably done. Their final remaining game is home against Richmond (Spiders have fallen off) and they'd need to make the A10 tournament final and get major outside help.

Cal 18-11 (9-7) vs Utah 19-9 (8-8): Lunardi has Cal in his "Last Four Byes" and Bracket Matrix has them as the 4th to last team in. RPI is 54. Cal is on shaky ground. They've lost 3/4 with the only win being at home against USC and the losses coming by 18, 20 and 28. They're riding that Arizona win for all it's worth, but this is also the 1 team USC has managed to beat in Pac12 play. Cal has got to get at least 1 more win or else they will be a serious risk to get left out.
Utah is a tough out, home or away. We'll see how Cal responds to the pressure.

Need Utah to win this one for us.

Saw this somewhere last night, and now I can't remember where, but Oregon was 2-8 from January 5th through February 8th. They're 19-0 other than that stretch.

Saw this somewhere last night, and now I can't remember where, but Oregon was 2-8 from January 5th through February 8th. They're 19-0 other than that stretch.

Screw that group of mercenaries. But I hope both Oregon schools win all their games this week. It helps us out big time.

Screw that group of mercenaries. But I hope both Oregon schools win all their games this week. It helps us out big time.

They're back to playing like a top 25 team again. They, Zona and Utah are the three teams I would love to avoid as long as possible in the P12 tourney.

They're back to playing like a top 25 team again. They, Zona and Utah are the three teams I would love to avoid as long as possible in the P12 tourney.

Luckily for us they are back to climbing the RPI list which will only help us.

You are right though, Utah scares me. As much as I want another crack on Zona, I would rather it be in the semi's. Would like another shot at UCLA though. And give me the Sun Devils again. We need that 4 seed....

Luckily for us they are back to climbing the RPI list which will only help us.

You are right though, Utah scares me. As much as I want another crack on Zona, I would rather it be in the semi's. Would like another shot at UCLA though. And give me the Sun Devils again. We need that 4 seed....

I'd love to beat them, but I'd rather avoid them - they have our number and we dont match up well with them at all.

Back