What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023 Fall Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all feels like the scene in Rocky 1 where Apollo Creed’s right hand man is getting increasingly nervous watching the tv broadcast of Rocky’s training, but Apollo scoffs it off when he mentions he should check it out. People aren’t paying attention - I saw a 247 writer say we won’t have enough scholarship players by the end of the season to finish the year and might have to take forfeit losses LOL.

I know it got laughed off by national people, but Urban Meyer coming by and having the take of “wow, I don’t want to say what I expected (a team with no talent and very few P5 scholarship players) but I didn’t expect *that*” should have been the first clue. Not only does he know what talent looks like, he also knows what good, efficient, competitive practices look like. If he had said “remember people, it’s a rebuild. They won 1 game last year and that doesn’t change overnight!” The public would rightfully be fading us even more and I’d start to worry about our 3.5 O/U.

Tldr: we’re gonna win.

... I saw a 247 writer say we won’t have enough scholarship players by the end of the season to finish the year and might have to take forfeit losses LOL.
what is the basis for this claim?!?!??!

I get CU is a hard team to read and I do agree both lines are question marks, but why are media members so afraid to say CU has significantly upgraded at some positions?

Part of it is that they don't know just how bad the team was last season. From roster to coaching to morale. They had no reason to care enough to know.

Part of it is that they're too lazy to put the time in on who is actually here now in order to have an informed take. Important thing is to simply talk about CU & Coach Prime and to come hard positively or negatively in order to get clicks.
The big thing that gets lost in all of this with the media and mouth breathing/tooth licking Twitter cucks is that we had the #1 TRANSFER class in the nation. Not high school. All of those guys have been reevaluated after playing at a higher level, not high school recruits playing against 5'7" 130 lb high school freshmen. Transfers can/will contribute IMMEDIATELY. We saw what USC did with a great transfer class and great QB even with a bad defense. Obviously they had more initial talent, but we had way more turnover volume and mostly kept the best players we did have. Everyone has to understand, and I think they will after we teabag people this year, that a top tier transfer portal class is significantly more important in immediate contribution turnaround than a high school recruiting class. Not to mention SIGNIFICANTLY less uncertainty. The box whisker is a lot tighter for player production with transfer vs high school.

Colin Cowherd asked Urban Meyer if Colorado was even going to have enough scholarship players to field a team. It's laziness. The headlines were all about the roster purge, but then nobody cared about or paid attention to the reconstruction.

I know this came from McChesney, but he was on Altitude yesterday being asked by the morning guys (Moser, Kane and Lombardi) why he's so bullish on the Buffs and he basically said because of Sean Lewis and Charles Kelly. He went off about Lewis and how we have a guy running the offense who is probably qualified to be CU's HC in any other scenario where Prime isn't here.

The coaching that CP has brought in and filled the staff with is elite and giving them experience and talent. That's why this team is going to win.

Shhh. Let’s not correct anyone’s terrible assessments! I would love to see the win total go down.
I was thinking that this morning while reading off the wall Twitter comments ****ting on us. It's hilarious because the more they **** on us, the more it lowers national expectations which in turn makes them look worse if we win 5+ games with a brutal schedule.

All of the models used by the networks to predict the season outcomes are not configured to take into account what is happening at CU. For example, ESPN's FPI is based on the following:

Previous 4 seasons of results, with emphasis on the previous year. (14-28)
Number of returning starters. (2? Maybe?)
Number of returning coaches (0)
Strength of recruiting, including transfers. (The only place CU has anything positive)

What CU is doing doesn't fit into the narratives, the predictive models, or the historic norm. The analysts don't know what to do with the Buffs.

All of the models used by the networks to predict the season outcomes are not configured to take into account what is happening at CU. For example, ESPN's FPI is based on the following:

Strength of recruiting, including transfers. (The only place CU has anything positive)

What CU is doing doesn't fit into the narratives, the predictive models, or the historic norm. The analysis don't know what to do with the Buffs.
good stuff!

According to 247, we had 56 transfer out with an average rating of .849. Memphis and UTSA were the first 2 schools to pop up with an incoming class rating that low at 70th and 72nd.

We had 50 transfer in with an average rating of .871. Then we brought in a high school recruiting class of 21 at an average rating of .877.

You don't even have to do a serious roster analysis. That alone should tell you we now have a bowl qualifying roster talent level. In fact, it puts in the top 35 or so on talent based on average rating in last year's class.

Based on final AP voting last year in others receiving votes, Purdue (8 wins) and Louisville (8 wins) were tied for 35.

3.5 wins is a ****ing joke and it takes just a few minutes to do what I just did.

Lazy national journalists is absolutely right.

So based off that last well off video, where Feely, Cokes, Hunter and Sanders are at the front of the meeting talking about what makes them different, and then Prime mentions something about captains right after...are those our 4?

What CU is doing doesn't fit into the narratives, the predictive models, or the historic norm. The analysis don't know what to do with the Buffs.
As an engineer and analytics/machine learning fan, everyone has become lazy with it. The old saying "garbage in garbage out" applies here, as you pointed out the input to their models is garbage for our circumstances. That's where you have to use research and critical thinking to evaluate poor model fits. It's way easier to just plug in the **** data, walk away, and run another Alabama/Nick Saban/SEC/LeBron fluffer piece.

According to 247, we had 56 transfer out with an average rating of .849. Memphis and UTSA were the first 2 schools to pop up with an incoming class rating that low at 70th and 72nd.

We had 50 transfer in with an average rating of .871. Then we brought in a high school recruiting class of 21 at an average rating of .877.

You don't even have to do a serious roster analysis. That alone should tell you we now have a bowl qualifying roster talent level. In fact, it puts in the top 35 or so on talent based on average rating in last year's class.

Based on final AP voting last year in others receiving votes, Purdue (8 wins) and Louisville (8 wins) were tied for 35.

3.5 wins is a ****ing joke and it takes just a few minutes to do what I just did.

Lazy national journalists is absolutely right.
I think what is also in their minds is that we told 50+ players to LEAVE. We upended these kids lives when they were at a Division 1 program. This is where the "moral highground" becomes a nice issue to write about and stand by. They want to say that we are all about the money and criticize us about everything that is wrong with college football. We were the exact opposite in 2022 by trying to field a team of extremely stringent academic rules. The writers that take the position that we are horrible want to claim that moral high ground when everyone around us has been about "the bag" for many years.

We are literally the last program AND this is the last time that they can claim "is about business."

Now its out in the open. All programs are chasing the bag.

@Darth Snow

We need a massive infusion of Doom in here to balance the old jinx scales.
The schedule is beyond brutal.

Most of the talent on the team is untested against the P5 level.

Reliance upon a number of players returning from significant injuries.

Creating cohesion among 70+ new players.

A head coach untested against P5 level coaching staffs.

Poor depth at multiple positions.

Relying on some true freshman and likely a walk-on for significant playing time.

I think it is a mixture of fear and laziness. No one wants to stick their neck out and entertain the possibility that Prime is doing exactly what needed to be done. College football is still very much a morality play for a lot of reporters, so fear very much comes into play.

OTOH, as Darth and you point out, laziness is a major part of the equation as well. How hard is it to look at Sean Lewis' resume and conclude he is a significant upgrade at OC? The research takes five minutes. Same with Kelly. Or that adding two 5* corners to the secondary just might represent a talent upgrade?
The fear and laziness are at the heart of it.

No offense intended but I think sports journalist tend to have a lazy streak to start with. They are the guys who would rather follow sports and be fans than go out and do something hard. There are exceptions but in general I think this is the case. They could look up the stuff you mention but that would be work and they don't even know where to start.

The fear comes from the laziness. The more things stay the same the easier it is for them to get their story and look smart doing it. Mix things up and change them and they have to learn something new before writing about it.

For someone from the outside getting a read on what is happening in Boulder is very hard. Consider that we follow it closely on a daily basis and most of us aren't confident that we really know how good they are as a team or individuals.

Add to this that Prime isn't making it easy for anyone to get that read. He has done a great job of keeping the Buffs front and center both locally and nationally but has also made sure that little of substance actually gets out.

There are loads of videos, lot's of SM content, Prime on this show or that show but they have controlled everything getting out. We don't see 11 on 11 scrimmages, we don't see formations or adjustments. Even the plays they show on the videos are ground level and from angles that nobody can see anything but the route and the catch.

Then add that Prime while dominating media is also not doing favors to the media. He doesn't make their job easy by telling them how good he thinks players or the team are, he doesn't even do the normal coach speak about good day/bad day of practice.

Beyond this he doesn't look or act like a traditional coach, he is a proud Black man who doesn't try to hide being Black or being confident, no fake humility there.

And a lot of the college football world doesn't take CU seriously. They have sucked the past 20 years mostly finishing at the bottom of the conference.

In some ways CU never did fit into the PAC. It isn't on the West Coast, it doesn't try to act like a bunch of Olympic/non-revenue sports are a big deal, it is less snooty academically that some of the older PAC schools. The traditional rivalries aren't there and never got built.

At the same time even though CU had a lot of success in the Big8/12 it never fit in there either. It wasn't located on the plains in farm country, it wasn't "country" or "Texan." A lot of those schools and their supporters look at CU as that liberal outpost where everyone smokes pot and skis.

Now Prime is shaking everything up and these reporters don't have the easy answers. They don't want to look bad by liking it and not being able to explain why. They don't want to stick their neck out in case it fails. They don't like being in that position where they come across as not knowing.

The fear and laziness are at the heart of it.

No offense intended but I think sports journalist tend to have a lazy streak to start with. They are the guys who would rather follow sports and be fans than go out and do something hard. There are exceptions but in general I think this is the case. They could look up the stuff you mention but that would be work and they don't even know where to start.

The fear comes from the laziness. The more things stay the same the easier it is for them to get their story and look smart doing it. Mix things up and change them and they have to learn something new before writing about it.

For someone from the outside getting a read on what is happening in Boulder is very hard. Consider that we follow it closely on a daily basis and most of us aren't confident that we really know how good they are as a team or individuals.

Add to this that Prime isn't making it easy for anyone to get that read. He has done a great job of keeping the Buffs front and center both locally and nationally but has also made sure that little of substance actually gets out.

There are loads of videos, lot's of SM content, Prime on this show or that show but they have controlled everything getting out. We don't see 11 on 11 scrimmages, we don't see formations or adjustments. Even the plays they show on the videos are ground level and from angles that nobody can see anything but the route and the catch.

Then add that Prime while dominating media is also not doing favors to the media. He doesn't make their job easy by telling them how good he thinks players or the team are, he doesn't even do the normal coach speak about good day/bad day of practice.

Beyond this he doesn't look or act like a traditional coach, he is a proud Black man who doesn't try to hide being Black or being confident, no fake humility there.

And a lot of the college football world doesn't take CU seriously. They have sucked the past 20 years mostly finishing at the bottom of the conference.

In some ways CU never did fit into the PAC. It isn't on the West Coast, it doesn't try to act like a bunch of Olympic/non-revenue sports are a big deal, it is less snooty academically that some of the older PAC schools. The traditional rivalries aren't there and never got built.

At the same time even though CU had a lot of success in the Big8/12 it never fit in there either. It wasn't located on the plains in farm country, it wasn't "country" or "Texan." A lot of those schools and their supporters look at CU as that liberal outpost where everyone smokes pot and skis.

Now Prime is shaking everything up and these reporters don't have the easy answers. They don't want to look bad by liking it and not being able to explain why. They don't want to stick their neck out in case it fails. They don't like being in that position where they come across as not knowing.
I normally would just hit the "like" button. However, I need to tell you that this is a fantastic read. Its more than even the "love" button. Great point of view.

OBTW... I have never said anything like that to liver in his 18 years on allbuffs.

I think it is a mixture of fear and laziness. No one wants to stick their neck out and entertain the possibility that Prime is doing exactly what needed to be done. College football is still very much a morality play for a lot of reporters, so fear very much comes into play.

OTOH, as Darth and you point out, laziness is a major part of the equation as well. How hard is it to look at Sean Lewis' resume and conclude he is a significant upgrade at OC? The research takes five minutes. Same with Kelly. Or that adding two 5* corners to the secondary just might represent a talent upgrade?

Not just laziness but also the national media simply aren't spending much (if any) time diving into our roster due to directing the vast majority of their attention elsewhere. The focus is mostly on the top 10 and a few other prominent programs who are just outside the top 10, as well as teams within their region. I was listening to a couple of well-respected ESPN media guys reacting to the fight video and one of them immediately said how small we look. But the small guys were Hankerson and DB's, and also none of them are first teamers.

They went on to say they don't see how CU gets over that 3.5 win mark and the took a quick look at the schedule which as we all know isn't easy with 5 preseason ranked teams plus UCLA who is just outside the top 25. So yes mostly laziness but at the same time they're more than willing to give a take on CU.

The schedule is beyond brutal.

Most of the talent on the team is untested against the P5 level.

Reliance upon a number of players returning from significant injuries.

Creating cohesion among 70+ new players.

A head coach untested against P5 level coaching staffs.

Poor depth at multiple positions.

Relying on some true freshman and likely a walk-on for significant playing time.
You forgot Lack of Culture

Daily camera article today featuring Fauria which was just hot garbage.
Brewster is currently sitting at a very poor grade in my opinion.
He brought in one top recruit for his position, who bolted and evidently wasn't a fit. That's on Brewster.

He gets the benefit of the doubt it seems from us, but man, my bull**** filter has been going off for some time.

He talks up Fauria in that article, even though Brewster has never seen him practice with pads on yet.
He's the loudest voice, much of the time, let's see if he can bring the goods in a few weeks.

He brought in one top recruit for his position, who bolted and evidently wasn't a fit. That's on Brewster.

He gets the benefit of the doubt it seems from us, but man, my bull**** filter has been going off for some time.

He talks up Fauria in that article, even though Brewster has never seen him practice with pads on yet.
He's the loudest voice, much of the time, let's see if he can bring the goods in a few weeks.

wait what GIF

His value is on the recruiting trail.

Offense is rolling this week, but it was only a week ago the defense was dominating. Been a back and forth affair
Polumbus was discussing trying to evaluate Broncos’ offensive linemen by watching them practice and he said it’s really hard because the guys they are going against know them and the offense so well.

That same idea is true for the Buffs offense and defense. They just know each other too well.

His value is on the recruiting trail.

Is that true when, as pointed out in the article, there are only 2 scholarship players at the TE position and neither is full go right now? We strongly suggested like 15 players should leave, but didn’t back fill at this spot very well.

Polumbus was discussing trying to evaluate Broncos’ offensive linemen by watching them practice and he said it’s really hard because the guys they are going against know them and the offense so well.

That same idea is true for the Buffs offense and defense. They just know each other too well.
Is it though? They’ve only been together for a few weeks of practice.

I was thinking that this morning while reading off the wall Twitter comments ****ting on us. It's hilarious because the more they **** on us, the more it lowers national expectations which in turn makes them look worse if we win 5+ games with a brutal schedule.
Arguing is for the birds. I wanna bet. Very few folks have any conviction when it comes down to actually laying down the money on a 0, 1, or 2 win season.

Is that true when, as pointed out in the article, there are only 2 scholarship players at the TE position and neither is full go right now? We strongly suggested like 15 players should leave, but didn’t back fill at this spot very well.

Is it though? They’ve only been together for a few weeks of practice.
TE is not a position of emphasis in this offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back