What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

Jimmy Lake. Amazing recruiter and secondary coach. Made UW into an NFL level secondary. Could be a good get and not insanely expensive. Has learned under some good DCs and Petersen.

I'm sure that our staff taught tackling as well as anyone and I'm for any coach that stresses fundamentals and teaches them as well as this staff did.

I think it's about more than just coaching tackling. I think the goal of defense is going to shift. Disruptive hits, separating the player from the ball and intimidation are going away, and containment and corralling are going to matter. So it's going to permeate to schemes and positioning of body types etc.

It's entirely possible that I'm overselling how important this may be; my opinion is just that one of the most fundamental aspects of the game is undergoing some drastic changes at the youth level over the last 4 or 5 years, and in the next 2-3 years we're going to see freshman who learned that part of the game completely differently than the guys who are playing right now.

I agree with the sentiments above, Vance Joseph please. Might as well test the waters and see if he has any interest in coming back to Boulder.

I agree with the sentiments above, Vance Joseph please. Might as well test the waters and see if he has any interest in coming back to Boulder.

He is goung to be a NFL head coach, possibly within the next few weeks. He is not going to pass that up to take a demotion to a college DC level.

I believe that Vance was sort of run out of Boulder during the recruiting/sex scandal, no?

Serious, but not serious, but serious, but not..... Maybe this OC HC could be a good DC too? Les Miles ?? :ROFLMAO::cautious::cautious::rolleyes:
I think a more plausible path for Les Miles to CU, is HCMM gets the L.A. Rams job and then we have HCLM.

Not highly plausible, but maybe more plausible than DCLM

It always seemed like Tumpkin left a D.C. Position and was brought in here to take over after Leavitt got a HC job in 3 years. If Mmac decides he is the best fit, I don't think it is just because it is the easy pick. Mmac knows Tumpkin well enough to promote him or to keep him at db coach and bring in someone even better. Either way I'm on the wagon for whoever Mmac picks.
Tumpkin as DC and LB coach add Marc Walters to coach safeties and replace Jeffcoat with Seumalo would be a good staff. Or pick up Ronnie Bradford to coach cbs and move Clark back to safeties would be good too.
Also replace Bernardi with Levin and we'd be recruiting lights out.

We need a DC with successful experience running the 34 defense. My preference is a NFL guy. I don't know if Joe Tumpkin is the guy.

I had expected to lose Leavitt after the season. I was surprised his name didn't come up more for HC gigs. Maybe he was too. Really the only thing that hurts me is him going to Oregon. I think I would be okay with Tumpkin as DC if it meant we were able to make other staff upgrades. Specifically LB and DL. For our DC being our LB coach that was by far our weakest position. We've struggled to land guys on the DL as well (outside of a few) but they did play well this year. A dominate DL can make a defense though we need a strong recruiter there. The other positive is that we would probably have the opportunity to keep JT for awhile if he does well. I think most of the names mentioned so far wouldn't be around long if they were successful (and hopefully if they are unsuccessful as well).

He is goung to be a NFL head coach, possibly within the next few weeks. He is not going to pass that up to take a demotion to a college DC level.
I don't think he's going to be an NFL HC in 2017, but he's on that path. He's the only former CU guy who could even be considered a legit option, but that doesn't actually make him an option.

I only have one thing to add to all of this **** Phil Knight,.... make that 2, and **** Bailer
Oregon and Phil Knight are like the Death Star and Darth Vader. This isn't good for the conference, IMO, that Oregon is willing to throw out obscene money in order to win. Luckily for CU, it isn't always about how much you spend.

Oregon and Phil Knight are like the Death Star and Darth Vader. This isn't good for the conference, IMO, that Oregon is willing to throw out obscene money in order to win. Luckily for CU, it isn't always about how much you spend.

Also lucky for CU, UO is in the other division so we don't have to deal with them every year.

We kind of lucked in to Leavitt. Is there another NFL linebackers coach with college experience out there somewhere?

If JL is even still there. If he turns the ducks defense around like he did CU's, he is going to have his pick of some big time HC jobs.
Perhaps. Here's the thing: if he's really making $1.5MM/Yr., that's already more than just about any G5 head coach, and more than several P5 head coaches. It would have to be a really big job to pay him
more than he's making as a DC now. Most big time P5 jobs don't go to coordinators.

Perhaps. Here's the thing: if he's really making $1.5MM/Yr., that's already more than just about any G5 head coach, and more than several P5 head coaches. It would have to be a really big job to pay him
more than he's making as a DC now. Most big time P5 jobs don't go to coordinators.

Good thing he has some solid HC experience in the past too.

I am about 95% sure he will get offered the KSU job and get paid nicely to move to Manhattan.

Good thing he has some solid HC experience in the past too.

I am about 95% sure he will get offered the KSU job and get paid nicely to move to Manhattan.
KSU or OU if they decide they're tired of Stoops act there. OUs defense was atrocious this year. Yes, I could see those teams hiring JL as HC.

KSU or OU if they decide they're tired of Stoops act there. OUs defense was atrocious this year. Yes, I could see those teams hiring JL as HC.
Oklahoma was also a top job that popped in mind as I was thinking about this last night. Stoops is on thin ice in Norman.

I think Slider had a good pick in Tim deruyter. Oh and I know he just left Temple for Baylor, but grabbing Phil Snow would be doubly nice. However, my single favorite pick up would be Jay Bateman from Army.

Back