What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

Thought I heard Rick George say he expects a deal with AT&T and Direct within a day or so?
Anyone else at the program tonight hear the same?

Thought I heard Rick George say he expects a deal with AT&T and Direct within a day or so?
Anyone else at the program tonight hear the same?

Yeah, FCC should formally approve any day now. Hopefully they get it done by September, but ATT/DirecTV even have more leverage now to knock down the rate card. Have a bad feeling we might get more coverage but not necessarily more money. At the same time, getting DirecTV might help push our cable partners to carry it on their out of market sports tier. Really need this Network to take off in a big way with the gap the B1G and SEC are set to create. So many of you guys on this board dropped DirecTV -- wish more had followed.

The latest. Kind of what we knew except that AT&T may be asking DTV to drop their rate by 80 cents per customer less than they charge the providers now carrying them. So, does the Pac take that deal? They'd have to offer the same deal, probably, to their current providers. So, the math would be [(Number of DTV customers - Number of current customers) x $0.80]. I sure hope that number is a big positive.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...rks-could-be-available-on-directv-soon-072215

To clarify -- that 80 cents is the current rate card for the PAC 12 Networks (in footprint) That is what everyone is paying right now. Wilner thinks ATT might ask them to lower the rate which would trigger the favored nation clause in our original cable partners. Its the same issue we have been discussing the last couple years. Do you reduce the rate to get carriage on DirecTV. You obviously pick up the bars and more eyeballs - but maybe its revenue neutral. In which case, the PACN is screwed. (unless Wilner has been unaware of massive start up costs that will come off the books or something).

If its revenue neutral, the PACN can't survive only distributing 1 million per school going forward. Its been barely palatable the first few years to schools who could be making a lot more than that on their own.

To clarify -- that 80 cents is the current rate card for the PAC 12 Networks (in footprint) That is what everyone is paying right now. Wilner thinks ATT might ask them to lower the rate which would trigger the favored nation clause in our original cable partners. Its the same issue we have been discussing the last couple years. Do you reduce the rate to get carriage on DirecTV. You obviously pick up the bars and more eyeballs - but maybe its revenue neutral. In which case, the PACN is screwed. (unless Wilner has been unaware of massive start up costs that will come off the books or something).

If its revenue neutral, the PACN can't survive only distributing 1 million per school going forward. Its been barely palatable the first few years to schools who could be making a lot more than that on their own.

SEC and Longhorn networks are controlled by ESPN and get carried because nobody wants to go without ESPN. B1G network is 51% owned by Fox and again they are able to force it on carriers because of the popularity of other networks in the FOX package.

I wonder if eventually the PAC12 is going to have to provide an equity stake in the network to one of the big cable programming providers to provide the kind of leverage needed to force it on all carriers at a rate that pays enough to make it worth doing.

With the long standing relationship between the PAC and B1G and the battle FOX is fighting to build their sports presence that would seem the more likely partner if they go this route.

Pac-12 is going to stay independent and it should stay independent. If PACN partnered, it would have to double its revenue in order to break even. But what does that even mean? I assume with most minority ownership stakes, it's a Net Profit deal where those conferences get 49% of what's left after the fully loaded costs have been deducted. PACN controls its own costs. We need to be patient here. It's the right strategy and it's a game changer. It just takes a little time because we're changing the game on folks who are winning the current game. In the future, we're going to love the unprecedented control of our content as new distribution methods emerge. If the Pac-12 went with the same model as the B1G and SEC, the Pac-12 wouldn't have a chance of keeping up on revenue. Within this model, we have that chance. Maybe even a future opportunity to blow them out of the water.

F**k DirecTV. They don't get any special deals. They get the same deal everybody else got. They're nothing special.

F**k DirecTV. They don't get any special deals. They get the same deal everybody else got. They're nothing special.

What if they sponsor a bikerack in front of the new Longmont Dillards?

Actually agree fully. PAC should continue without them unless they can agree to a deal that makes financial sense to the league.

Another good question is how much longer the current distribution model for TV programming last with increasing streaming options. Could the PAC get in early with somebody like Amazon or Apple or Microsoft beating the others to the punch.

Buffs games now are the only thing that keeps me from seriously considering cutting the cord.

Even if DirecTV gets a good deal and it is close to revanue neutral, just having more exposure should help increase advertising dollars, no?

The network needs to explore a stand alone streaming option like HBO just launched. I am sure it's being explored but it'd be great to be able to watch, where ever, when ever.

The network needs to explore a stand alone streaming option like HBO just launched. I am sure it's being explored but it'd be great to be able to watch, where ever, when ever.
Yes, please!

I turn on cable TV for two things:
1) sports
2) walking dead

Everything else recorded movies or streaming on the iPad. I would be delighted to have streaming access.

I have said it before will say it again as long as DTV owns the elephant in room know as the National Football League the vast majority of those out of market of our favorite teams will continue to be customers. As will Sports Bars and the like, with so much of the nations population being in far different time zones the only way to gain "college football fans" viewing (not PAC football fans) is far wider exposure, and at this point you have to think like a drug dealer. All but give it away, get them hooked on the product, and raise the price. The one thing that is painfully obvious is what they are doing isn't working, and they just continue to bang their heads against the wall. The thing I see and I am certain I will get ripped for this is so many of you live and die with this, and that's great I do to, but to make this thing a success we need the Bama fans to want to watch and see what's happening on our side of the Mississippi. Also believe it or not there are hundreds of ways to watch this thing for free in HD their coding is just not as sophisticated as the NFL's, (imagine that). so they are hacked to death, and yes I am, as is well documented watching a pirate stream in 720P anytime I want to watch the thing. I wish I could buy it, I would gladly pay for it. Bottom line is I am not changing a damn thing to kiss Larry Scott's ass when he is the one that made the promises, and now is in a giant "My dick is bigger then yours" with somebody with a helluva lot more money and power then at this point his little piss ant network.

The FCC approved the merger if I heard the news correctly, My wife was watching and I was on my way out the door. I am sure someone can confirm

AT&T CEO said:
Great things are happening for you and for us. We’re happy to announce that DIRECTV is now part of the AT&T family. Together, we’ll deliver premier video entertainment, high-quality mobile and Internet services, and an even better customer experience.

This is an exciting time, and we understand you may have some questions about what this news means for you. First, let us reassure you that your services remain unchanged and there is nothing you need to do. If you want to learn more, you can click here to visit our AT&T Newsroom.

We’re already working to bring the best of DIRECTV and AT&T together. And with flexible packages of video, mobile and Internet services, you’ll be able to enjoy video entertainment and digital content from virtually anywhere. Please stay tuned — we’ll have more exciting news to share with you in the coming weeks and months.

Thank you for being our customer. We are more committed than ever to providing you the highest level of service. We know you have choices and we appreciate you choosing us.

Sincerely,

John T. Stankey
Chief Executive Officer
AT&T Entertainment & Internet Services.

I haven't read much analyst scribles on what this deal means in terms of benefits and to whom. Or what the companies will look like 365 days from now.

Disappointing we haven't heard anything on this. Was hoping there would at least be word they are talking

They are talking. It's fairly naive to assume two teams who were legally forbidden to talk to each other until the merger was approved are going to have completed a negotiation with Larry Scott within the first 3 days after the approval.

My guess is that the DTV and AT&T is busy notifying their employees who is in charge post merger and the new leadership is telling the team what the next 90 days look like.

In addition to P12N, the person negotiating the NFL ticket will be asked if the NFL will be on uverse, and how any other discrepancies in the channel lineup will be addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are still looking at 2016 season for football, they might get a deal worked out by new years but that might be optimistic as well.

I think we are still looking at 2016 season for football, they might get a deal worked out by new years but that might be optimistic as well.
Who knows? They will be under pressure to have it for the football season and AT&T already carries it, don't they?

Who knows? They will be under pressure to have it for the football season and AT&T already carries it, don't they?

Yes. AT&T Uverse carries the P12N, but not NFL Sunday Ticket.

DirecTV carries NFL Sunday Ticket, but not P12N.

Contracts have to be amended/renegotiated to synch up the channel line-ups.

It would make sense that AT&T/DirecTV will be negotiating with P12N to expand their distribution to DirecTV.

It's unclear whether the merged entity will be willing to pay the U-Verse rate across the board, or attempt to renegotiate the carriage rate, and how much time it would take to reach an agreement under the status quo or lower carriage rate scenarios?

The clock is ticking to integrate the platforms. Will AT&T stop pushing Larry Scott for a lower carriage fee? Will Larry Scott get the merged entity to agree to the UVerse rate? Will AT&T seek to buy an equity stake in the P12N?

There are lots of issues to sort out. It would be nice for the fans to have P12N on Directv, but given the timing of the approval, it's not clear yet that either party is willing to compromise on carriage price and expedite this P12 negotiation to get this deal done in the next 30 days when there are more than just the P12N in play.

We'll see.

Will AT&T seek to buy an equity stake in the P12N?

Now that's something I hadn't even considered, but it makes a lot of sense. AT&T trying to create it's own sports distribution empire. It might be a great deal for both sides.

Other possibility: No P-12 on DTV was as much determined by the personalities at the negotiating table and some bad blood developed between the DirecTV and Pac-12 negotiators as it was determined by the dollars and cents of the deal. If that's true (that conflicting personalities had a role in preventing a deal) and the DirecTV negotiators are replaced by the AT&T negotiators, we may get somewhere and get there rather quickly. OTOH, while AT&T did buy DirecTV and not vice-versa, the merged management could decide to keep the DirecTV negotiators on the account, and it may stay locked in a stalemate a while longer.

[Incidentally, I don't think I'm conjuring up the "personality conflict" out of thin air, I'm pretty sure that Wilner reported that there were some issues on both sides of the negotiations.]

Perhaps some perspective from a carrier that doesn't have the Sunday Ticket can show the value of other sports packaging.

Back