What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all in one "Lets talk Nebraska thread"

Alot of people thought that the option was dead. I think the WCO is dead as well. You don't fool anyone with the multiple shifts that Cally likes to run. All it does is complicate things. I think the spread is the way to go these days. I realize though that the option is and will always be considered Nebraska football.
it was a miscalculation, thats what you get when it is a one man search committee (SP) the WVU, UF, Boise (CU defacto) O SEEMS to be the O of CFB future. WCO is looking dated IMO.... the option aint dead, it has just been diversified with the veer and passing O... again a AD only search is a mistake IMO for NU at this time. Gill and Solich both are running diff O than they did at NU.

You guys also lost a big booster today. Dan Cook (whose family the nice indoor facility is named for) has sworn off the Huskers for their treatment of Peterson. Sounds like he might not be alone. Might be a little "house divided" thing.
I dont know if it is true but if it is, **** him too. this needed to happen.

Nebraska right now to me seems like a program that´s struggling to find its identity. They had so much success in the past and some people seem to be struggling to come to terms with that the past is the past. Accepting the current results probably is asking for too much, but I think the whole program would be better off if some people started lowering their standards.

It's true about Cook pulling his money. He is pissed! I'm sorry, but he's being hard headed! 99 percent of the people wanted him gone. :sad2:

I agree he is hard headed, but his money speaks more then the other 99% combined, especially if there are any other boosters that agree with him. Its the unfortunate fact of modern college football, especially with these new facilities races that are occurring everywhere. (the good news for the nubs is you guys are already way ahead in facilities, so this might not hurt as bad as it would at CU if we lost one or our big boosters)

Nebraska right now to me seems like a program that´s struggling to find its identity. They had so much success in the past and some people seem to be struggling to come to terms with that the past is the past. Accepting the current results probably is asking for too much, but I think the whole program would be better off if some people started lowering their standards.

that is a joke right Jens? or a bait more than likely, which I respect the hell out of BTW.
There are more willing resources within the NU family/fanbase that they should/need to take advantage of, things that all other schools save 5-10 in the country would love to have. there could be a quick turn around to this debacle, the cupboards are not bare. (reminds me of OU when stoops came in in fact) and the next coach could become the next overnight sensation or flavor of the year type thing.

It's true about Cook pulling his money. He is pissed! I'm sorry, but he's being hard headed! 99 percent of the people wanted him gone. :sad2:

If he really wants to piss off the school, he ought to donate, oh, $50 million to CU!

that is a joke right Jens? or a bait more than likely, which I respect the hell out of BTW.
There are more willing resources within the NU family/fanbase that they should/need to take advantage of, things that all other schools save 5-10 in the country would love to have. there could be a quick turn around to this debacle, the cupboards are not bare. (reminds me of OU when stoops came in in fact) and the next coach could become the next overnight sensation or flavor of the year type thing.

Lower their standards as in the 90s won´t be coming back any time soon and some patience might be needed.

Lower their standards as in the 90s won´t be coming back any time soon and some patience might be needed.

Even CU is talking about B12 Championships and NC as the stated goals. Maybe the average Joe fan might need to temper their expectations, but I think big time donors/boosters and especially the AD needs to aim high, real high in fact.

In that case I am glad you are not a NU fan (no offense). Why would NU do that? This is not the time to be weak, rumors are that the Osborne complex got paid off today with the firing of SP. The infrastructure is in place better at NU than ALMOST any other school. The money is there, the people with the money want W's. Let me make this clear and I do not want to be accused of being on a high horse, there will be no let up from the fans, if anything Cally better get to coaching, better show improvement, better get them on the right page or he is toast. IMO this is the first step to going back to the 90's. The circles I hang out in are jumping for joy and getting ready to donate to "the program". That was the phrase coined by the "alternative" alumni golf outing this summer and now that seems to be what is taking over the reins very soon.

In that case I am glad you are not a NU fan (no offense). Why would NU do that? This is not the time to be weak, rumors are that the Osborne complex got paid off today with the firing of SP. The infrastructure is in place better at NU than ALMOST any other school. The money is there, the people with the money want W's. Let me make this clear and I do not want to be accused of being on a high horse, there will be no let up from the fans, if anything Cally better get to coaching, better show improvement, better get them on the right page or he is toast. IMO this is the first step to going back to the 90's. The circles I hang out in are jumping for joy and getting ready to donate to "the program". That was the phrase coined by the "alternative" alumni golf outing this summer and now that seems to be what is taking over the reins very soon.

IMO Cally is gone regardless of what he does the rest of the season. The wolves are circling and they have one kill might as well go for at least three more. Cally, Cosgrove, and Elmo! :thumbsup:

IMO Cally is gone regardless of what he does the rest of the season. The wolves are circling and they have one kill might as well go for at least three more. Cally, Cosgrove, and Elmo! :thumbsup:

This is where things really start to fall apart, when the staff's departure is a foregone conclusion.

I think NU's staff is guaranteed 2yrs of severence so they may not be as stressed as Barnett's staff was (since their agreements were month to month). But I doubt many recruiting efforts will be put forth for the rest of the season. And the sharks will smell blood and be calling the committed recruits and wispering they should reconsider their commitments. Hell, I bet Bill Snyder is calling your recruits just for old time's sake:smile2:

This is where things really start to fall apart, when the staff's departure is a foregone conclusion.

I think NU's staff is guaranteed 2yrs of severence so they may not be as stressed as Barnett's staff was (since their agreements were month to month). But I doubt many recruiting efforts will be put forth for the rest of the season. And the sharks will smell blood and be calling the committed recruits and wispering they should reconsider their commitments. Hell, I bet Bill Snyder is calling your recruits just for old time's sake:smile2:

this years class is up in the air unless they announce something now. i.e. Cally stays but these are the staff changes... another wild-card to speculate with is if TO is in the picture and Cally remains as HC it could be a huge draw for recruits in this years class. I know I am spinning but when you have a basket of lemons you can always make lemonade. :thumbsup:

It is a total pipe dream and you can call me to the mat for it but could TO make Cally a better coach? Cally already can recruit, run a clean ship but could TO actually teach him what it takes to be a college coach? what these 5 stars still need to be taught to become a five star CFB player? Cally and staff have a weakness in terms of developing talent, they draw talent but they have yet to prove how to coach them up. TO IMO was the exact mirror image of BC... not a great recruiter but a huge teacher of the game. It is a total pipe dream but my fingers are crossed..... its all I can do right now but hope for the best.

this years class is up in the air unless they announce something now. i.e. Cally stays but these are the staff changes... another wild-card to speculate with is if TO is in the picture and Cally remains as HC it could be a huge draw for recruits in this years class. I know I am spinning but when you have a basket of lemons you can always make lemonade. :thumbsup:

It is a total pipe dream and you can call me to the mat for it but could TO make Cally a better coach? Cally already can recruit, run a clean ship but could TO actually teach him what it takes to be a college coach? what these 5 stars still need to be taught to become a five star CFB player? Cally and staff have a weakness in terms of developing talent, they draw talent but they have yet to prove how to coach them up. TO IMO was the exact mirror image of BC... not a great recruiter but a huge teacher of the game. It is a total pipe dream but my fingers are crossed..... its all I can do right now but hope for the best.

I don't have the patience to read the articles/blogs etc. Is TO as interim AD a real possibility or just wishful thinking?

I don't have the patience to read the articles/blogs etc. Is TO as interim AD a real possibility or just wishful thinking?

I have been hearing that Dave Remmington could be a canidate for the job.

he has been consulted throughout this process (along with recomending SP originally) according to Pearlman. Be it him or not as IAD he will put his stamp of approval on it as Pearlman admitted as much today "I have no clue what goes on in the Athletic Dept"??? stunner of an admission IMO and deserves firing for it..... but my BP has just come back down from earlier posts about Pearlman:lol:.

The short answer to your great question is TO has not been announced yet. but one could assume it is coming soon.

I have been hearing that Dave Remmington could be a canidate for the job.
My heart just sank with the latest rumor..... being a CU Jays fan..... Bruce Rasmussen from Creighton would be a great get for NU IMO and CU (Creighton) could never match NU money. I know TO likes him as he spends one day a week at CU as an advisor.... its all starting to add up as a worthy candidate for sure. That would make me so sour and sick... I honestly might stop being an NU fan if that happened. would split right down my middle....

Last edited:
a few questions:

why has your god not smiled on you fusker fans yet? how ****ing hard is it to confirm that he will act as an interim ad? he would have some lead time prior to the media storm. so what's the deal with him not commenting?

even if your god accepts the nightmare of a job of steering the uss burning red pile out of stanky waters, what exactly is it that you want from him? he delivered frankie boy to you. look what you did to him. do you still trust his judgment enough to hold your breath on it?

finally, do you realize what your program will look like to coaching prospects after the entire solich debacle / cally crap / booster wants his name off a facility nightmare? you are all a house divided.

EDSBS Take:
Bill Callahan, Nebraska.

How fired is he? So ****ing fired.

How soon? Soon. As in possibly today, if you believe rumors, and we always do. The rumor mutates by the hour, but either Nebraska AD Pederson, Callahan, the defensive staff, or varying combinations thereof will all be gone before the coffee in your break room goes cold. The latest unverified, sexy rumor: the extremely unsexy Buddy Ryan will come in to be the interim coach when Callahan is given the cornhole and unceremoniously booted from his job. We want this to happen if only to watch Ryan, perpetually drunk on rageahol, corrupt youth by offering cash bounties on opposing players and get into a fistfight with inflatable mascot/nightmare vision Lil’ Red. Because he will do both.

He should become… a high school physics teacher.

Student: My, that’s a big book, Mr. Callahan.

Mr. Callahan: Yes, it is. Physics requires dedication, Tommy.

Student: Can you teach me what’s in the book, sir?

Mr. Callahan: Of course not. There will be a test tomorrow, though.

Student: I hate you, Mr. Callahan.

Mr. Callahan: I’ll be in the teacher’s lounge, reading Popular Mechanics, Tommy. Good luck.

The talent for making simple things into complex, incomprehensible arcana with poor results just seems like too perfect a fit.

for more on how fired is your coach:
http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/?p=3990#more-3990

a few questions:

why has your god not smiled on you fusker fans yet? how ****ing hard is it to confirm that he will act as an interim ad? he would have some lead time prior to the media storm. so what's the deal with him not commenting?

even if your god accepts the nightmare of a job of steering the uss burning red pile out of stanky waters, what exactly is it that you want from him? he delivered frankie boy to you. look what you did to him. do you still trust his judgment enough to hold your breath on it?

finally, do you realize what your program will look like to coaching prospects after the entire solich debacle / cally crap / booster wants his name off a facility nightmare? you are all a house divided.
:lol:

Well crap. Where do I start with you people?

Over the past couple weeks…actually since about mid-summer…I’ve been talking to you and about you. Now that the GRF™ experiment is officially over, let’s talk about me for a change.

I would now like to officially take credit for being right…on just about everything. In order for you to see a bit more clearly, I shall give you just some of the many examples of me knowing more about your team than you do. Once I lay this out for you, you’ll wonder why you ever doubted me.

- Bill Callahan had zero college head coaching experience. His one NFL job, he turned a Super Bowl team into a 4-12 disaster in ONE year. To top it off, he hired a defensive coordinator from a Big 10 school, who had never had one of his defenses rank in the top 40 nationally. Did you honestly think that this didn't matter?

- Rivals stars are a VERY SMALL part of the equation. You all got so excited, buying into the whole recruiting hype machine…you forgot to realize that somebody actually has to coach these kids. Also, somewhere along the way, you forgot that these kids actually had to play in a college game for their greatness to even get off the ground.

- The last three years were a fluke. Some of your biggest wins over the past five years included:
* A win at Colorado over a Buff team that quit on it’s coach.
* A win over a 5-loss Michigan team in a mid-level bowl they didn’t want to be at.
* A one point win at Texas A&M…a team that barely beat Army on the same field
* A 2 TD win at home against a Mizzou team that hasn’t won in Lincoln since 1978.

Meanwhile, you lost just about every single big game you played in last year. USC, Oklahoma, Auburn, Okie State and Texas. At what point, don’t you think your superior talent would have won…just one of those games? Did you realize also that Bill Callahan was 0-17 when trailing at the half? What does this tell you about your coaches? Just because you made a T-shirt and handed yourself a fictional trophy doesn’t mean anything.

- The West Coast offense will never work in college. Nobody runs it. The teams that do run it suck. Even Bill Walsh..the guy who invented it..failed miserably in college trying to run it. What makes you think you could have figured out how to do it?

- The national media was propping you up on name alone. Do you honestly think the ESPN talking heads of the world actually research your team? Or do they just assume you’ll be good because of what you used to be? Did any of them realize Marlon Lucky averaged 3.2 yards per carry last year over his last 8 games? Did they know JC Keller was 4-4 lifetime as a starter at the beginning of the year? Nobody did any research on you, because nobody gave a **** about you. They simply saw the rival stars..saw your slow march through a brutal Big 12 North …and just anointed you a top 15 ranking.

- You have no leadership. For some reason, most of you didn’t really care about the mental side of the game. This is especially important when you have coaches who treat players like an NFL franchise. When your players are calling their program an “organization”, you should know you have issues on the horizon.

* In catching the few minutes of the post-game call in show today, I heard all sorts of blame. Blame Peterson. Blame Callahan. Blame Solich. Blame the players. Do you know who the ONE person I didn’t hear getting blamed? Ironically, the one person who is most responsible for all of this in the first place.

It’s YOU…the fans.

YOU people are the ones who set ridiculously high expectations. YOU people are the ones who started celebrating your return to dominance LONG before you actually accomplished anything. It was you people who over-analyzed EVERYTHING and slathered on the pressure like Mark Mangino slathers on gravy on a Ham and cheese sandwich. Why didn’t you realize you were dealing with 18-22 year old kids? Why do you think they don’t feel that pressure? Could you live up to the pressure of being compared to 1995 day after day after day?

It was a plan doomed to fail…and now…just as I predicted…it has.

Zero congratulations to you for not listening to me for months. Had you done so, you probably wouldn’t be in the spot you are in today. You deserve this because you didn’t listen. You deserve the mocking snickers of other fans. You deserve the realization that you are easily one of the three worst teams in the whole conference. You deserve this simply because you needed a lesson to learn.

direct from Behind enemy Lines and quite honestly this same spouting off about the huskers could be said about Notre Dame. In the end the expectations that are put upon 18- 22 yr old kids is ridiculous and The west coast offense is a nightmare these kids should never have put upon them.

It is your fault Husker fans :smile2:

While I agree that the Nebraska fan base is very noisy and willing to pump money into the program, what should scare the crap out of any NU faithful is the ability (or lack thereof) of the university to attract a top-flight head coach. How many potential coaches turned down the huskers before they offered Cally? Face it, there is no sure bet coach out there (eg Urban Meyer) who would come if NU called. No matter how much you demand the program come back to life, it's a crap shoot right now.

WaylonVanSmack said:
In that case I am glad you are not a NU fan (no offense). Why would NU do that? This is not the time to be weak, rumors are that the Osborne complex got paid off today with the firing of SP. The infrastructure is in place better at NU than ALMOST any other school. The money is there, the people with the money want W's. Let me make this clear and I do not want to be accused of being on a high horse, there will be no let up from the fans, if anything Cally better get to coaching, better show improvement, better get them on the right page or he is toast. IMO this is the first step to going back to the 90's. The circles I hang out in are jumping for joy and getting ready to donate to "the program".

:smile2: y'all as a fan base don't get any smarter for having to go through the same situation over and over, do you? if you could stretch your mind back to the solich debacle, throwing money at the problem was your approach. that did not turn out as well as you hoped, did it?

yet here you are thinking the same solution will net a different result. tell me that the most knowledgeable and classy fans are more savvy to the handful of factors that truly prevent nebraska from going "right back to the 90s". we have offered them up as food for thought on numerous occasions. namely:

* NCAA made it illegal to offer anyone on the team "academic schollies". that meant your instate boys had to get in under the same number of schollies allotted to every other team in america. dr. tom bails the year this decision came down. sorry, no two-fer schollies for you.
* you are no longer offering the premier system in america which enhanced your ability to exclusively recruit your skill player, having crashed and burned the option. you now get to compete with everyone else too.

sorry waylon. throwing money at the coach is not going to fix the components that broke down on you. arrogance is not going to fix the problem for you. pretty much, this excerpt is what it would take to fix the problem:

If I were you..and thank freaking God I’m not….I’d be hoping for a miracle, because the chances of Vince Lombardi rising from the dead and leading the Huskers out of those big stupid-ass ugly doors next September is better than you luring some “big-name” coach to step into this circus. You don’t think some coach with ½ a brain isn’t going to balk at a school that fired NOT ONLY a 9-3 coach (who went to a National Title game 2 years earlier)..but now...they're about to whack a guy who won the North Division just a year before as well?

from http://ajthoughts.blogspot.com/

14 pages......
Yeah we sure have gotten tired of talking about the hucksters misfortunes :lol:

Get this guy
faust_icon.jpg
in there to coach.

He'd be a great fit for the hucksters and their new tradition!!

You seem to think Frank Solich was better than he was. You make it sound like he was the Jesus the Christ and Dr. Tom is the Father. Like Tom sent down his only son and we Nebraskans crucified him.

Not exactly.

Remember, Frank took over a defending national championship program and in 5 years made them a 7-7 team. And... it's not just about that one season, Frank was 16-12 in his last 28 games at Nebraska! Also, I know what a lot of you are going to come back with, which is Callahan's record since the firing of Frank Solich. That's not the point! The point is what Frank was doign to our program. Frank was driving us into the ground. We weren't expecting him to keep us at the same ridiculousness that Osborne had put us at with going 60-3 over 5 years, etc etc. That's pretty tough to do. We just didn't think that in 5 years we'd be losing to Eli Manning's Ole Miss team at the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, LA to finish the season 7-7.

Secondly, we are a house divided. A faction of NU fans hate steve pederson and the new administration. A faction like what's going on, but still think Steve Pederson is an a-hole. In the last 4 weeks, you are seeing fewer and fewer people who think no action needs to be taken. But the firing of Steve Pederson, right now, looks like it's designed to start the healing process and to try to bring back and reunite the two factions of Husker fans.

Just my two cents.

You seem to think Frank Solich was better than he was. You make it sound like he was the Jesus the Christ and Dr. Tom is the Father. Like Tom sent down his only son and we Nebraskans crucified him.

Not exactly.

Remember, Frank took over a defending national championship program and in 5 years made them a 7-7 team. And... it's not just about that one season, Frank was 16-12 in his last 28 games at Nebraska! Also, I know what a lot of you are going to come back with, which is Callahan's record since the firing of Frank Solich. That's not the point! The point is what Frank was doign to our program. Frank was driving us into the ground. We weren't expecting him to keep us at the same ridiculousness that Osborne had put us at with going 60-3 over 5 years, etc etc. That's pretty tough to do. We just didn't think that in 5 years we'd be losing to Eli Manning's Ole Miss team at the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, LA to finish the season 7-7.

Secondly, we are a house divided. A faction of NU fans hate steve pederson and the new administration. A faction like what's going on, but still think Steve Pederson is an a-hole. In the last 4 weeks, you are seeing fewer and fewer people who think no action needs to be taken. But the firing of Steve Pederson, right now, looks like it's designed to start the healing process and to try to bring back and reunite the two factions of Husker fans.

Just my two cents.
Everybody knows that Devaney is the Father and Osborne his only son. Do not sully the sacred text, Dusty.

Back