What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This team should still make the Rose Bowl......

Ending the season by getting killed in the Rose Bowl takes away a lot of excitement . Winning big in the Alamo ends season on a good note and gives us something to reach for next year (Rose Bowl).
That's like arguing that the basketball team would be better off winning the NIT than going to the NCAA tourney.

CU 13 - USC 17 at the Rose Bowl.

Play the game 10 times at a neutral site, what do you think the final record is? I'd say USC wins 6 or 7 of them, but they are not unequivocally light years ahead of CU.
If not for them forgetting how to football several times that day, they kind of pounded us.

USC should be in the Rose before us, but great if we are in.

I hope we make the rose bowl. That being said, i couldn't argue if we got bumped. USC beat us and Washington. If not for a few lucky breaks, our game in SC is a blowout in the Trojans favor, similar to what Washington actually did to us last night.

CU had a chance to stake their claim to the Rose Bowl last night and they didn't take advantage thus they leave it in the voters hands now.

I for one do not want any part of the Cotton Bowl if Western Michigan gets the G5 berth in that one. No disrespect for the Broncs, who are a very good team, or the MAC (I'm a MAC school grad myself), but I want to play and beat a school with a higher national profile and reputation.

And it's a "lose lose" proposition for us ... beat them and nobody cares, lose and it sets us back a year at least in gaining national respect.

CU 13 - USC 17 at the Rose Bowl.

Play the game 10 times at a neutral site, what do you think the final record is? I'd say USC wins 6 or 7 of them, but they are not unequivocally light years ahead of CU.
Trying to figure out what the bolded means, as that wasn't our score this year or the venue.

I don't think we have to much to worry about Rose Bowl wise. CU will be in SD or SA for their bowl game, most likely,
The only way we go to SD is if Washington is left out of the Playoff. Which is highly unlikely

That's like arguing that the basketball team would be better off winning the NIT than going to the NCAA tourney.

Completely disagree. Comparing the Bowl System to the NCAA Tournament is apples and oranges. If you're searching for a analogy between the two, it be more accurate to say going to the NIT Tournament is the equivalent of NOT making a bowl at all. No one is suggesting it be better NOT to go to a bowl. (Don't know how many teams go to bowls, but guessing its in the neighborhood of 64.... your analogy doesn't work.)

Agree with Hotty. While a Rose Bowl would have been great, the idea of the next best thing being going to a Texas-based bowl (recruiting region) and playing an opponent that you can look good against, and have a good shot at winning big, makes sense. That's still pretty damn good scenario. Not first choice perhaps, but I can entertain the notion that's a good thing. Far from a NIT birth equivalent.

Going to the Rose Bowl and potentially ending the season with back to back blow-outs with national media speculating that maybe Cinderella's clock struck midnight vs. a big win in the Alamo Bowl with the national narrative remaining "The CU rise is for real. They just stumbled in the P12CG, but they appear to be legit."..... Hotty makes a good argument.

Apologies if I sound hostile. Still haven't gotten over the CSU hoops loss.

For me it's the Holiday Bowl (preferred if it's in the mix) or the Alamo Bowl. Not the Cotton against WMU (nothing to gain and everything to lose) ... and going to the Rose Bowl, while it would be an epic achievement, would mean probably mean going up against a scary Wiscy team. While in one way I'd love to see it, I'd just as soon have a good chance on going out on a good note against a decent team in a respectable bowl game after such a great season.

Wisconsin sucks and Penn State woke up, too bad we just went into a coma when we went down big.

We all turned into a bunch of massive pussies, from wanting to get into the playoff last week to now being afraid of embarrassing ourselves in the Rose Bowl. Loser mentality.
Seriously and it's a lot of the same people who were arguing for the playoff over the Rose last week because "we want to play the best". Unless people think that the team we saw yesterday is who we really are, then sack up.

We have a month until our bowl game - plenty of time to shake off the UW game and get healthy. I can't imagine these seniors want to go out with a performance like that.

I want the Rose and think we can beat whatever BIG team ends up there.

Just win no matter who or where buffs play.

Agree to a point. As I've posted before, the Cotton Bowl versus WMU is a "lose - lose" proposition. Anything else is more than any of us expected before the season.

We'd drill Pedo State.

I relish the opportunity.

**** those kiddie ****er enablers.

I did a survey of about 30 various sports websites and found that all but one (CBS) predict us in the Alamo Bowl vs Okie Lite. That would be a very entertaining game. I also think CU vs Penn State would be a doozy.

What's really at play is precedent vs optics. So far, the CFP committee has not punished teams who play poorly in conference title games in their rankings. Even with a bad loss, we proved to be the second best team in the P12 by qualifying for the title game over the course of 9 conference games and losing in the conference title game. That component of our CV is more enduring than one meltdown game against a top 4 side.

Another thing... head to head is not really a thing for the committee. They will likely choose Ohio State over Penn State even though Penn State won head up and won the conference. In their view, the play-in for the CFP playoff was in Columbus a few weeks back. Although Penn State was better than tOSU on 22 October at home, the committee views tOSU's body of work as far superior to Penn State's resume.

Optics say that USC should get the Rose Bowl slot. After all, they beat the two teams who played for the conference title. USC is also the more well known program, so they "should" get the Rose Bowl slot for commercial reasons. Optics say that, though USC were beaten by two teams who both lost to both of the conference finalists, head to head is the only relevant matter.

The decision to be revealed in 5.5 hours will be am interesting insight into how Hocutt's committee sees this debate.

Since we played Friday, our fate has likely already been sealed. Pack your bags for San Antonio (or perhaps even LA).

I would love to play Penn State in the Rose Bowl. I'm bummed about Friday's game still, but beating the Big 10 champ is the best possible outcome, in my opinion.

Back