What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This team should still make the Rose Bowl......

I did a survey of about 30 various sports websites and found that all but one (CBS) predict us in the Alamo Bowl vs Okie Lite. That would be a very entertaining game. I also think CU vs Penn State would be a doozy.

What's really at play is precedent vs optics. So far, the CFP committee has not punished teams who play poorly in conference title games in their rankings. Even with a bad loss, we proved to be the second best team in the P12 by qualifying for the title game over the course of 9 conference games and losing in the conference title game. That component of our CV is more enduring than one meltdown game against a top 4 side.

Another thing... head to head is not really a thing for the committee. They will likely choose Ohio State over Penn State even though Penn State won head up and won the conference. In their view, the play-in for the CFP playoff was in Columbus a few weeks back. Although Penn State was better than tOSU on 22 October at home, the committee views tOSU's body of work as far superior to Penn State's resume.

Optics say that USC should get the Rose Bowl slot. After all, they beat the two teams who played for the conference title. USC is also the more well known program, so they "should" get the Rose Bowl slot for commercial reasons. Optics say that, though USC were beaten by two teams who both lost to both of the conference finalists, head to head is the only relevant matter.

The decision to be revealed in 5.5 hours will be am interesting insight into how Hocutt's committee sees this debate.

Since we played Friday, our fate has likely already been sealed. Pack your bags for San Antonio (or perhaps even LA).
Head to head is most definitely a thing for the committee.

Clearly neither head to head or conference championships mean as much as many believed

Pedo St lost two games to tOSU's one, and one of those losses was by 39 points. As much as I hate the suckeyes, IMO they belong there much more than do the nittany kitties.

Pedo St lost two games to tOSU's one, and one of those losses was by 39 points. As much as I hate the suckeyes, IMO they belong there much more than do the nittany kitties.
Yep, and I know the current players had nothing to do with the atrocities at PSU, but glad to see that program take it on the chin, however light the slap.

You are what your record says you are.

CU is the South Division Champ.

Neutral field CU beats U$C.

Better record. Pac-12 South division Champs.

I understand the national narrative may be different, but I know what's right. CU *should* be sniffing Roses right now if justice exists in the sport.
Boss, da plane, da plane!

Unfortunately, we are Alamo Bowl bound. When Hocutt described udub's resume, he described their one loss to a "top 10 team." He described their most recent win as one against a team "who has been in our top 10."

Unfortunately, we are Alamo Bowl bound. When Hocutt described udub's resume, he described their one loss to a "top 10 team." He described their most recent win as one against a team "who has been in our top 10."

Ummm ... not quite sure what possible significance that holds?

Completely disagree. Comparing the Bowl System to the NCAA Tournament is apples and oranges. If you're searching for a analogy between the two, it be more accurate to say going to the NIT Tournament is the equivalent of NOT making a bowl at all. No one is suggesting it be better NOT to go to a bowl. (Don't know how many teams go to bowls, but guessing its in the neighborhood of 64.... your analogy doesn't work.)

Agree with Hotty. While a Rose Bowl would have been great, the idea of the next best thing being going to a Texas-based bowl (recruiting region) and playing an opponent that you can look good against, and have a good shot at winning big, makes sense. That's still pretty damn good scenario. Not first choice perhaps, but I can entertain the notion that's a good thing. Far from a NIT birth equivalent.

Going to the Rose Bowl and potentially ending the season with back to back blow-outs with national media speculating that maybe Cinderella's clock struck midnight vs. a big win in the Alamo Bowl with the national narrative remaining "The CU rise is for real. They just stumbled in the P12CG, but they appear to be legit."..... Hotty makes a good argument.

Apologies if I sound hostile. Still haven't gotten over the CSU hoops loss.

Of course it's apples to oranges, but so is comparing the outcome of the Rose Bowl to the outcome of the Alamo Bowl. One is a marquee game, and the other one with no real national brand.

If we want to stay inside the NCAA Tourney for the analogy as you've suggested, then winning the Alamo Bowl is winning a first round game, and losing the Rose Bowl is losing in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. In my mind going to the Rose Bowl is better than any outcome in any other post season game other than the Playoffs.

As far as worrying about the media perception.... Did media expectations really hold this year's team back? Sure there may be some value in recruiting etc. to having a more positive media perception. To that end, even if the Buffs were to lose the Rose Bowl, the media exposure during the Rose Bowl would trump the exposure during the Alamo Bowl. During our bowl game the commentators are going to talk about the Rise and talk about HCMM being the national coach of the year and talk about the return to the 1990s quality of Colorado football.

Finally, all of this is couched from the perspective that Rose Bowl = loss and Alamo Bowl = Win. I accept neither as a given. It's entirely possible that we lose the Alamo Bowl which would be far worse than losing the Rose Bowl, and it's entirely possible that we win the Rose Bowl.

I see a sliver of possibility where dominating in the Alamo Bowl would be a slightly better outcome than getting dominated in the Rose Bowl. That's one possible outcome. The range of outcomes and most reasonable expectation favors what can happen in the Rose Bowl over what can happen in the Alamo Bowl.

That means they've rated USC higher than us in their final rankings. In that case, the Rose Bowl committee is supposed to give strong preference to the next highest ranked team according to the CFB committee.

Ummm ... not quite sure what possible significance that holds?

I think the nature of the loss is what really counted this year. Clemson and Ohio State ended up #2 and #3, their losses were way closer than the whooping that USC put on Washington or the whooping that Michigan put on Penn State.

That means they've rated USC higher than us in their final rankings. In that case, the Rose Bowl committee is supposed to give strong preference to the next highest ranked team according to the CFB committee.

The implication is that USC will be ranked ahead of CU today meaning they likely will be Rose Bowl bound.

Ahhh ... I get it. But I assumed it was a given that SC would jump us after Friday night. I don't think it's right to punish us for playing an extra game ... but that's the way it is, right or wrong. If that keeps us out of the Rose Bowl, that sucks ... but the Alamo is a pretty good consolation prize. And I will take some schadenfreude in watching the Condoms disassemble the Nittany Kitties.

It is not supposed to be a given. It is actually unprecedented.

Ahhh ... I get it. But I assumed it was a given that SC would jump us after Friday night. I don't think it's right to punish us for playing an extra game ... but that's the way it is, right or wrong. If that keeps us out of the Rose Bowl, that sucks ... but the Alamo is a pretty good consolation prize. And I will take some schadenfreude in watching the Condoms disassemble the Nittany Kitties.

I know the definition, but essentially every situation is unprecedented in the new system.

I hope that Penn State smokes USC in the Rose Bowl. **** USC and the dumb ****s at the Rose Bowl and the College Football Playoff Committee who think that 9-3 is better than 10-3.

I hope that Penn State smokes USC in the Rose Bowl. **** USC and the dumb ****s at the Rose Bowl and the College Football Playoff Committee who think that 9-3 is better than 10-3.
Penn State is going to get smoked. One team is thrilled to be in that game, one is disappointed, that's a recipe for a blowout.

I don't see how any team from the B1G or the PAC 12 would be disappointed in getting to play in the Rose Bowl. I doubt that will be a factor.

However ... an edge in basic talent and superior athleticism point to a Condom beatdown of the Kiddie Diddlers.

Penn State is going to get smoked. One team is thrilled to be in that game, one is disappointed, that's a recipe for a blowout.

Correct USC smokes them, gets ranked #2 in pre-season polls behind Alabama, end up losing 3 game early on, go on a late season run, fail to win South division, end up in Rose Bowl rinse and repeat

I don't see how any team from the B1G or the PAC 12 would be disappointed in getting to play in the Rose Bowl. I doubt that will be a factor.

However ... an edge in basic talent and superior athleticism point to a Condom beatdown of the Kiddie Diddlers.
Penn State believes they belong in the playoff - not only did they miss out but a team they beat, who finished behind them in their division is in. That's their disappointment.

Back