What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Washington Game --- Official Thread (8pm FS1)

Lurking on the UDub message boards the last couple of years, they do seem like an incredibly smug bunch. Like #1 in the nation in smugness. Everything is an inside joke to them because they are just THAT MUCH smarter and cooler than everyone else.

It's too bad that their fan base is so "incredibly annoying" because their team is pretty good and does things the right way. They should check themselves. It wasn't too long ago that they had an 0-11 season.
Sorry you feel that way. I get it from what you saw on that board. But we are talking 10-20 people. We put 65 thousand plus in the stands. Half the idiots on that board never went to UW, and half of them live off the government. Don't let a few losses make your opinion of a huge fan base.

You are the expert Duff Man. I just glance periodically. But I was under the impression that we did quite well (for us) with the O Line in recruiting in the '17 class.

I thought that D Line is where we were struggling but I always thought the gameplan for that was to just find the best JUCO guys possible (after they've had 2 years to get fatter err...stronger)

You are the expert Duff Man. I just glance periodically. But I was under the impression that we did quite well (for us) with the O Line in recruiting in the '17 class.

I thought that D Line is where we were struggling but I always thought the gameplan for that was to just find the best JUCO guys possible (after they've had 2 years to get fatter err...stronger)

We did very well in 2017, but it needs to happen over several classes to really take hold.

The JUCO "strategy" is something the fanbase just kinda made up and ran with because it conveniently fit with the players we have landed. We are offering tons of high school DL with limited success at the moment. I mean, credit to the coaches for finding some JUCO players that have made an impact, but the coaches are recruiting a lot of high school defensive linemen for a reason. If we are scrambling come December for a JUCO-heavy class, it is not because things have gone exactly according to plan.

I liked that they unleashed Montez in the running game to start the second half (before the wheels fell off). He had a couple of nice gashes. Part of his great talents that we all see is that he is big and he can run. If we are not using that part of his abilities, we are only getting half of his talent.

Now if he just isn't durable or tough enough to run the ball 10 or 15 times a game, we need to find that out. So for the rest of the season, Montez running plays/options should be part of the gameplan.

We did very well in 2017, but it needs to happen over several classes to really take hold.

The JUCO "strategy" is something the fanbase just kinda made up and ran with because it conveniently fit with the players we have landed. We are offering tons of high school DL with limited success at the moment. I mean, credit to the coaches for finding some JUCO players that have made an impact, but the coaches are recruiting a lot of high school defensive linemen for a reason. If we are scrambling come December for a JUCO-heavy class, it is not because things have gone exactly according to plan.
I like jeffcoat as a coach, but I just don't think he's a very good recruiter. We are really lagging in talent and depth. It doesn't help that Edwards has been a complete flop thus far.

I like jeffcoat as a coach, but I just don't think he's a very good recruiter. We are really lagging in talent and depth. It doesn't help that Edwards has been a complete flop thus far.

Edwards is almost comical to watch. On passing downs, it's basically pointless to really block him because it will take him 10 to 12 seconds to get to the QB anyway. At this point, I'm wondering if his only real value to the team as far as PT goes is in very obvious run/goal line situations.

Edwards is almost comical to watch. On passing downs, it's basically pointless to really block him because it will take him 10 to 12 seconds to get to the QB anyway. At this point, I'm wondering if his only real value to the team as far as PT goes is in very obvious run/goal line situations.
Even that might be giving him to much credit. He gets moved more than anybody on that line. He's just not ready and needs to lose 20-30 pounds.

On another note. I thought the real turning point in the game came in the first quarter after Montez's premature slide. At that point we had jumped out to a 7-0 lead and were controlling the game early.

I realize that it probably wasn't going to be a first down but if you are MM, don't you ask for a measurement there or contemplate a challenge? Instead it almost seemed as if we raced our punt team out there like we couldn't get the punt off fast enough. Then of course follies ensue and then doubt creeps in and then...you know the rest.

We've just gotta show more poise in these big games. Frustrating because that was when I sensed that our team didn't truly beleive that we could win this one.

Edwards seems to be playing his way into real football shape. Maybe a game like tonight was just the kind of wake-up call he needed if he has any real hope of doing this for a living.

Was at the game. Several things-
1. UW is really, really good. I think they might be the best team in the country not named Clemson or Alabama right now (easy argument to make given Oklahoma and USC doing just enough to not lose their games today), and they're far and away better than USC right now.
2. The mistakes killed us tonight. The blocked punt, interception that went off the hands of Lindsay and into the UW defensive back's hands, and pick 6 cost us........20 points? Basically the difference in the football game. The effort was a lot better tonight than against Texas State or UNC...you can't make the mistakes we did tonight and have a shot against a top 10 team.
3. Question for those who watched the game-Was the Drew Lewis facemask call as iffy on TV as it looked in person?
The facemask looked pretty obvious on TV. But re watching the game this morning we really were in it the whole time until the fourth. And it was our mistakes that lost it.

On another note. I thought the real turning point in the game came in the first quarter after Montez's premature slide. At that point we had jumped out to a 7-0 lead and were controlling the game early.

I realize that it probably wasn't going to be a first down but if you are MM, don't you ask for a measurement there or contemplate a challenge? Instead it almost seemed as if we raced our punt team out there like we couldn't get the punt off fast enough. Then of course follies ensue and then doubt creeps in and then...you know the rest.

We've just gotta show more poise in these big games. Frustrating because that was when I sensed that our team didn't truly beleive that we could win this one.
I thought they spotted the ball almost a yard shy of where he went down but chalked it up to "they spot the ball where the QB begins the slide." So I give Montez the benefit of the doubt that he thought he'd reached the 30. That said, I'm pissed that he didn't dive forward and get the ball beyond the 30. It made him look, um, bad. To be nice. That play was the signature play of the game.

The team looked pretty ****ing good in the first half hanging with UW. The pile of mistakes, though, were way too much and CU doesn't have the talent to overcome those against a playoff-caliber team. Many of the responses I see here make it sound like we lost to an inferior team.

We have zero, zip, nada playmakers on this team right now. We have no player that strikes fear in our opponent. No one who steps up when the game is on the line and puts the team on his shoulders. Instead, we have guys who make mistakes. It frigging sucks.

I hope the guys learned from last night because I see a lot of them struggling with what to do and why. I see talent but a lot of don't have the mental side down. They started getting punched around and didn't know how to respond. I can deal with losing to more talent butsome of these guys don't know what you do once adversity hits. That's inexcusable to me. If you have guys as a staff that don't know the game. It is part of your job to get them watching film and showing them them this is what ur looking for and why. If they are out there based on ability alone. That isn't enough. These guys need to know their job to the point, they aren't thinking. I'll be honest I'm not seeing that yet.

Last edited:
Haven't read this whole thread, but did we even attempt any passes beyond 10 yards tonight (aside from the end zone pick on the offsides)? I thought our stable of WRs, and a strong armed QB were some of our biggest strengths?
Nope. Third rate Oline doesn't help. Kaiser is a disaster out there and Lynott at C is an adventure.

Haven't read this whole thread, but did we even attempt any passes beyond 10 yards tonight (aside from the end zone pick on the offsides)? I thought our stable of WRs, and a strong armed QB were some of our biggest strengths?
I pointed that out in a previous post. We did hit a couple of nice throws over the middle. Washington came in with the plan to take away the deep ball. Their safeties were playing really deep. That should've opened up the mid range passes over the middle but we didn't try those nearly enough. That's how Montez can be 15 for his first 17 with little to show for it.

Back