What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'11 CO QB Brock Berglund (Signed to Kansas)

I would bet money this kid and his parents have been told more about who our new coach will be than we have. Love the fact that he is here for what it says about the program as a whole.

It means that last year we had Danny Spond at this time. The year before we had Jordan Wynn.

I'll feel a lot more confident once I see our competitors' QB classes fill up. I feel pretty good here, though.

I hate to say this because of the uproar it might cause, but with Cody graduating at the end of the year, whether we keep Hawkins or not, I think our prospects for attracting QBs and holding their commitments are much better than they have been in the past.

There's too much smoke pointing to him being a factor in so many previous decisions.

I hate to say this because of the uproar it might cause, but with Cody graduating at the end of the year, whether we keep Hawkins or not, I think our prospects for attracting QBs and holding their commitments are much better than they have been in the past.

There's too much smoke pointing to him being a factor in so many previous decisions.

Now that Cody's a 5th year senior, I think we can all hope you are right. And there's something to it. When any quarterback, especially the coach's son, starts as a RS-Freshman and takes the team to a bowl game, high school QB prospects don't see much of an opportunity there for early playing time. I think it made less difference after 2008 and 2009 when Cody got pulled from the starting lineup. I'm not sure that negative recruiting on the "coach's son" angle would have worked in those recruiting years if we'd gone bowling, but losing makes it easy for people to listen to negative recruiting.

I think we have a better chance of keeping Brock than we did with Spond and Munchie last year because of the PAC-10 move. I think he also realizes that even if Hawk is gone and the team stinks this year, we will get better. He mentioned liking the PAC-10 move and faith in CU's ability to recruit for 2011 and 2012. I think he is taking a longer view approach than Spond and Munchie. I hope we can keep him and I think we have at least a 50/50 chance maybe a little better to make it to Feb. Helps that Mom and Dad are CU alums too :)

Im surprised with the commit in the first place so I hope we can hold on to him. Didnt Spond mainly split because of how messed up things got last year?

Last edited:
Im surprised with the comment in the first place so I hope we can hold on to him. Didnt Spond mainly split because of how messed up things got last year?

Spond had a head injury that nearly ended his football career and could have possibly screwed him up for life. That, more than anything, made him re-evaluate things. He targeted Stanford, Northwestern and Notre Dame because those were the degrees that would be most meaningful if he didn't have football. Hard to say that losing didn't factor into it, though. Maybe we would have kept him if we'd won 8-10 games. Impossible to know. I'm just saying there were other factors that led to different priorities after Spond had given a verbal to CU.

I remember hearing something about him getting hurt but I didnt realize it was that serious. Smart move on his part then. I dont think winning 8 games this year will hurt us with Brock or anyone else for that matter except for maybe saving Hawk's job.

In hindsight, losing Mister Jones is going to hurt a lot more than losing Spond, IMO.

What an uproar of agreement?? Anyone who doesn't see that is blind.

In hindsight, losing Mister Jones is going to hurt a lot more than losing Spond, IMO.

No it isn't. I'll refrain from turning this thread's attention away from Brock, but I have some Mister stories to share with you at the tailgates this fall.

For those that have seen him play, I noticed it says dual threat, how well does he move? I dont care about his 40 so much, can he make plays when things break down?

From Kizsla:

National signing date in February is way off in the distance. If Hawkins and his coaching staff are dumped, would Berglund reconsider his college choice?

"The people were the No. 1 thing on my sheet when I listed what I was looking for in a school, because I don't want to be around people I don't like for five years. So if CU lost everybody and everything changed in terms of the coaching staff, I would look at it again," Berglund said. "But I don't see that happening. I see (the Buffs) winning eight or nine games this year. I see them being successful."

:popcorn:

For those that have seen him play, I noticed it says dual threat, how well does he move? I dont care about his 40 so much, can he make plays when things break down?

Runs like Zac Robinson. Better thrower.

It's good to have his "commitment" at this time if for nothing else than to say that he is clearly open to going to CU. The likelyhood of us winning 8 or more games this year is pretty slim but at worst this means that he should be open to listening to the new coach when he is named rather than locking himself into some other school and starting to identify himself as a member of that team.

I do think that we have an excellent QB prospect in Nick Sherry but with Cody graduating, and Tyler graduating next year both Brock and Nick will be entering a team with no QBs with actual on field experience. Nick Herschman will have the advantage of a year in the program but with a new coach all the guys can look at it as an open competition (not a Dan Hawkins open competition, a real one) with each getting a chance to be the guy.

From one standpoint Brock will have an advantage because if the new coach is looking for a more versatile guy who can roll out and/or run he will be the fastest and most athletic of the three.

Didn't Brock try to commit to UCLA about two weeks ago? I'm not trying to be negative, but I think this may be a soft commit at best.

Yeah that's what I thought, I was just wondering if you knew a little more of the story or something. Oh well, it is what it is and it's a positive like MtnBuff said. Hopefully by the time the new coach is in place he won't have many options to choose from, UCLA especially being one of them, so he might be stuck with us!

Berglund said he'll now take on the role of recruiter for the Buffs.

"Definitely, I will," said Berglund. "I have a lot of friends that have offers from CU, that I plan to talk to when I get back from vacation. CU is a great place, they do a great job and I want to get them to commit there too."

http://colorado.scout.com/2/981463.html

:thumbsup:

:gobuffs:

Yeah that's what I thought, I was just wondering if you knew a little more of the story or something. Oh well, it is what it is and it's a positive like MtnBuff said. Hopefully by the time the new coach is in place he won't have many options to choose from, UCLA especially being one of them, so he might be stuck with us!

Hoping for "stuck with us" is the best we can do at this point. With the prospect of a new coaching staff, you have to consider nearly every commitment a soft one. Nonetheless, better to get a soft commitment than none in my book.

Love the information from Buffnik mentioning he will start recruiting for us. I think that can be a real help and does indicate some level of commitment from Berglund.

Yeah I know, I think we all would have preferred he said he committed because of the campus and school instead of the people. Still, it sounds like he's not sitting around plotting an exit strategy, rather he's trying to help Hawk and DonMac recruit an awesome class, which I'll take every time.

What's the deal with our ability to get QBs to commit early, but nobody else? :lol: Seems like every year under Hawk we get our QB early, then not much else before the fall.

What's the deal with our ability to get QBs to commit early, but nobody else? :lol: Seems like every year under Hawk we get our QB early, then not much else before the fall.

It's just because QBs commit early. Not so much that CU does anything special with them.

It's just because QBs commit early. Not so much that CU does anything special with them.

Correct. Only six of Rivals' top 25 pro-style QB prospects remain uncommitted and only six of Rivals' dual-threat QB prospects remain uncommitted. Often, the QB can be the focal point of the class. A big-time QB prospect can attract blue chip talent at the other offensive skill positions. Also, since most teams are generally only taking one QB in a given class, the spots tend to fill up quickly and guys commit early to get their spot.

Yeah I figured that, but it's not like other position players aren't committing. *thinks about Stanford's commitment list* I just wish we could win some Spring recruiting battles for once.

Yeah I figured that, but it's not like other position players aren't committing. *thinks about Stanford's commitment list* I just wish we could win some Spring recruiting battles for once.
When our Heisman candidate beats the piss out of USC you will see the same thing in Boulder.

Back