What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

I found it odd that USC stuck with Helton after the season, so maybe they're trying to save some money for one year before bringing in Urban?
They have to get a new president so they can fire Swann as AD before they can fire Helton. That is what saved his job. Particularly in light of the fact that it was a very expensive firing. It's a hot mess because they can't let Swann make the next hire.

They have to get a new president so they can fire Swann as AD before they can fire Helton. That is what saved his job. Particularly in light of the fact that it was a very expensive firing. It's a hot mess because they can't let Swann make the next hire.
Pat Haden really left did a number on that place.

In a vacuum, sounds great for the the Buffs not having to recruit against those two, but this is part of the problem with the dwindling prestige and lack of resources in the Pac 12 compared to the other conferences. Two of the best recruiters and one of the best assistant coaches in the Pac 12 possibly leaving for the SEC. At what point does Chris Peterson, Wittingham, Cristobal, or Wilcox get offered $8-10m/year to coach in the Big 10/SEC/ACC?

So, USC FIRES Tee Martin because of performance as an OC and that is indicative of "dwindling prestige and lack of resources in the Pac 12"?

IF Jimmy Lake left Washington for the most prolific program in NCAA history somehow that would also mean the same?

What does that mean for the Big XII losing Holgorsen to G5 program?

So, USC FIRES Tee Martin because of performance as an OC and that is indicative of "dwindling prestige and lack of resources in the Pac 12"?

IF Jimmy Lake left Washington for the most prolific program in NCAA history somehow that would also mean the same?

What does that mean for the Big XII losing Holgorsen to G5 program?
Yes, if Jimmy Lake left that would be bad for the Pac 12. Holgorsen to a G5 program isn't a good look for the Big 12, but then again, I don't really think the Big 12 is the conference to emulate. Point is, it's not good if the Pac 12 keeps losing elite assistant coaches (Tee Martin is an elite recruiter), regardless of why they leave.

Yes, if Jimmy Lake left that would be bad for the Pac 12. Holgorsen to a G5 program isn't a good look for the Big 12, but then again, I don't really think the Big 12 is the conference to emulate. Point is, it's not good if the Pac 12 keeps losing elite assistant coaches (Tee Martin is an elite recruiter), regardless of why they leave.
I agree with Lake but Tee Martin getting fired at USC (his playcalling responsibilities were revoked midway through the season) and going back to his alma mater as a position coach is hardly a bad look for the Pac-12.

You make it seem like it is somehow a conference decision, coaches are people with their own motivations, relationships, etc.

The Big Ten lost Alex Grinch to Oklahoma so does that mean the Buckeyes and Big Ten don't have the prestige and resources to prevent it?
Alabama lost their likely next OC to Miami of the ACC.

Elite assistant coaches are ALWAYS going to be lost. They get promoted to HC somewhere. Very few are the Brent Venables or Don Brown types to stay as coordinators forever.

There’s perception and then there’s the holes that are created when someone like Lake leaves your program. Regardless of optics, the puppies likely won’t be as good without him.

You make it seem like it is somehow a conference decision, coaches are people with their own motivations, relationships, etc.

The Big Ten lost Alex Grinch to Oklahoma so does that mean the Buckeyes and Big Ten don't have the prestige and resources to prevent it?
Alabama lost their likely next OC to Miami of the ACC.

Elite assistant coaches are ALWAYS going to be lost. They get promoted to HC somewhere. Very few are the Brent Venables or Don Brown types to stay as coordinators forever.
It's the offseason, time for Allbuffs to continue their Pac 12 self loathing. It's reminiscent of a debasement fetish.

Scottie Hazelton to KSU as DC. A name Buffs fans should keep an eye on for potential DC openings in the future.

PK can coach, but his recruiting skills are nowhere near Jlake.
Another example of a great combo to coach defense where everyone wants to give the credit to one guy but they complement one another very well. Lake is a super star recruiter who obviously knows his **** in terms of pass coverage. PK is great at coaching up the front seven and assisting Lake with his DC duties. The unsung hero on that defensive staff is Malloe though, they have killed it recruiting defensive lineman since he came on board and it really allows that defensive backfield to shine.

I don’t know much about him. What’s the deal?

First off, it's actually Les Koenning who he hired (Vic is another CFB coach).

Koenning is basically an old fart who has been around a LONG time (pushing 60) and got fired from his most recent stop as OC... at UAB. Basically a worst case scenario for someone like Miles who had poor offenses with exceptional talent at LSU and knew he needed to update his offense at Kansas.

We joke that CU fans are quick to hate every coaching hire, but this one would be universally despised on Allbuffs for good reason.

worst case scenario. Man, I'm glad we didn't end up with Les Miles. I could not have handled @Liver's depressive stage when they announced the OC hire.

firstly, CU would have enticed a better coordinator than this guy if miles had been installed here. we aren't ****ing kansas.

but, yes, assuming this sad series of events had, hypothetically, occurred, I would have been chagrined. and, I don't chagrin easily. we dodged a bullet I think with les.

****, that's the only thing that would've made it worthwhile.

[here, insert a time-honored and well-worn slur, suggesting illicit activity by your mother]

Time won’t tell anything. What Miles might have done at CU isn’t the same as what he is doing at Kansas.

Back