What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 MBB Transfer Thread

They're going to can him next year and hire somebody with connections to Tony Bennett.
Hard to argue with that.

Frankly, it's a style I'd like to see someone run in the Pac-12. It's good to have to face that.

Shane Gatling was named a JuCo All-American. Really want that guy if we have a scholarship to give

Why not, Tad already has an entire roster full of 6'4" guys. A Tad lock, adding another perimeter player and not address rebounding or defensive interior presence.

Why not, Tad already has an entire roster full of 6'4" guys. A Tad lock, adding another perimeter player and not address rebounding or defensive interior presence.
Who are all these 6'4" guys of whom you speak?

Schwartz - Wing
Brown - Wing
Martinka - Wing
N. Wright - Wing
Kountz - Wing
Parquet - Wing
M Wright - Guard
Bey - Wing/Stretch (Doesn't play in the paint much)
Strating - Stretch (plays on the perimeter- minimal rebounding or defensive presence)
Nikolic - Stretch (plays on the perimeter - minimal rebounding or defensive presence)
Siewert - Stretch (plays on the perimeter - minimal rebounding or defensive presence)
Dombek - Stretch (plays on the perimeter)

That leaves Battey and Walton. Both have injury concerns and if one of them goes down, is in foul trouble or plays below average this team has no inside presence whatsoever. One would think, you need to recruit another BIG who can rebound and play defense in the post. Last year, Tory Miller went down and the team struggled to rebound. Now the team has only Walton (maybe Battey if he comes back and even then, he is a year removed from playing basketball and will still be a freshman - no experience). There is a major need for an additional BIG man on this roster!

Schwartz - Wing
Brown - Wing
Martinka - Wing
N. Wright - Wing
Kountz - Wing
Parquet - Wing
M Wright - Guard
Strating - Stretch (plays on the perimeter- minimal rebounding or defensive presence)
Nikolic - Stretch (plays on the perimeter - minimal rebounding or defensive presence)
Siewert - Stretch (plays on the perimeter - minimal rebounding or defensive presence)

That leaves Battey and Walton. Both have injury concerns and if one of them goes down, is in foul trouble or plays below average this team has no inside presence whatsoever. One would think, you need to recruit another BIG who can rebound and play defense in the post. Last year, Tory Miller went down and the team struggled to rebound. Now the team has only Walton (maybe Battey if he comes back and even then, he is a year removed from playing basketball and will still be a freshman - no experience). There is a major need for an additional BIG man on this roster!

There is not a major need for a pure post type guy on this roster. That's not what basketball is these days. Look at Golden State and Houston in the NBA. Look at Villanova or even Loyola from the NCAA this year.

Buffs have a lot of size on this roster to be able to rebound and defend.

What this roster may lack is good enough shooting from the combo guards & wings.

Also, something with which I completely disagree with most Buff fans is this thought so many have that Tad hasn't emphasized having a good point guard and that Kin is the first "true" PG he has had. Huh? Spencer, White and Ski all were among the best PGs in the conference. The only year it was weak was when Dom ran it. I wish Kin was a few inches taller just like I had wished Ski was a few inches taller. You don't have to be short to play that position. But what you do need is the ability to lead and own the locker room. Spencer and Kin have had that, which has been the difference. But there's nothing at all wrong with having 2/3 of the roster being combo guards and having someone rise up to take on the leadership role as the primary ball handler. That's what the game is right now.

In terms of the bigs, them being able to move the other team's bigs out to the perimeter is also modern basketball. We don't want the paint clogged.

Also, as a reminder, the most successful CU team under Tad had Austin Dufault playing center with Dre often playing that spot when Austin was getting a breather.

Schwartz - Wing
Brown - Wing
Martinka - Wing
N. Wright - Wing
Kountz - Wing
Parquet - Wing
M Wright - Guard

If you think that Bey doesn't play on the interior, then you must be watching a different game than me. With even less big men available last year, CU was 1st in conference in 2pt FG % defense and 3rd in rebounding. They finished 11th in FG%, and the two best shooters on the team are leaving. Shooting is a much bigger need, imo

There is not a major need for a pure post type guy on this roster (INNACURATE) That's not what basketball is these days(INNACURATE). Look at Golden State (GS is 3rd in defense efficiency in the paint, largely due to Durant and Green) and Houston in the NBA. Look at Villanova (UHMM, Villanova has five 6'9" players on their roster and all of them play inside and defend the paint - Colorado has one player who does this) or even Loyola from the NCAA this year.

Buffs have a lot of size on this roster (SIZE FROM WINGS AND STRETCH PLAYERS) to be able to rebound (FALSE) and defend. (Colorado ranked 80th in the country in total rebounds per game <check that - tied with Colorado State for 80th place>. Perhaps you feel a P5 team is accurately represented on the boards with a ranking of 80th, I do not and I know most college basketball experts have consistently stated the same thing. The fact that they are tied with the Lambs who had a drunk, narcissist who was coaching them, is embarrassing and not very productive).

What this roster may lack is good enough shooting from the combo guards & wings (YOU MUST WANT 14 GUARDS on the roster)

In terms of the bigs, them being able to move the other team's bigs out to the perimeter is also modern basketball. We don't want the paint clogged (Yawn)... If you want proof of rebounding being an issue, go back to 80%+ of the fan forum game logs and read about how everyone talks about the lack of rebounding. Go to the reporters covering the Buffs, newspapers, tv reports, basketball analysts <everyone but you and maybe three other people on this site who clearly do not get that having players rebound and defend the post is still critical in today's game> Then go back to last years team game logs and you will read the same thing. There is a pattern here. Minus Dre and JScott Tad has not recruited an effective player who can disrupt on defense inside and control the boards. It is a glaring weakness in his recruiting and it shows on the court.

Also, as a reminder, the most successful CU team under Tad had Austin Dufault playing center with Dre often playing that spot when Austin was getting a breather. (You made my point for me! Dre was a paint defender and rebounder. There are no players on the roster that can perform those tasks minus Walton. If you think having one player on your roster is sufficient to rebound for the team and defend 40 minutes a game in the paint, you must think that player is named Kareem, Wilt or Russell)

I respectfully disagree with your thought process regarding the rebounding and defense in the paint at CU!

If you think that Bey doesn't play on the interior, then you must be watching a different game than me. With even less big men available last year, CU was 1st in conference in 2pt FG % defense and 3rd in rebounding. They finished 11th in FG%, and the two best shooters on the team are leaving. Shooting is a much bigger need, imo

There were 5 players on the team that averaged more rebounds than the starting Center!
The only player in the Pac-12 Top 25 rebounding ranking was King!

There is a need for more effective rebounding from the post and post presence defensively.

I respectfully disagree with your thought process regarding the rebounding and defense in the paint at CU!
You seem to think that basketball is still the '86 Celtics model.

And you don't seem to recognize the actual skill sets of the players or what the roles of the players are on teams like Villanova. You think Dre is that much different than Bey?

If you look at the stats, rebounding was not the issue for the 2018 Buffs. Neither was interior (2pt%) defense. They had trouble defending the 3 and they turned the ball over too much. Another one, where I will agree with you, is that the 2pt offense was sub-par. The bigger guys need to work on their post games. But most importantly on that is that everyone needs to hit the weight room to get stronger so that they finish much better through contact.

There were 5 players on the team that averaged more rebounds than the starting Center!
The only player in the Pac-12 Top 25 rebounding ranking was King!

There is a need for more effective rebounding from the post and post presence defensively.
What's wrong with King leading the team in rebounding? Guys like Dre and XJ, listed as guards, have also been the best rebounders for us in the past. There's no issue with a guy playing from the wing and grabbing the most boards. In fact, if the big guys are boxing out it will often be a guy sweeping in from the wing who grabs the team rebounds.

Let me guess: for your next post you will go with all caps to ensure we understand you?

If you are referring to why I posted my last comment, read the previous post by Buffnik. He asked a question, I responded.

Let me guess: You will write some response and question my posts again, when reading basic punctuation marks would have done the trick.

I will say once again.....

There is a need for more effective rebounding from the post. It's that simple.
I agree with you. But that doesn't need to be brought in to any greater degree. Dallas and Bey, in particular, need to get stronger while better understanding the rotations. Most especially, Nikolic needs to get stronger in order to become a better rebounder. But that's all going to happen while Battey and Dombek also come in as reinforcements. So I don't see any rationale for adding another big when it wasn't even a significant factor in the team's struggles this past season despite those guys being young, inexperienced and skinny while having to deal with Tory and Battey being lost and our best SG rebounder - Namon - catching mono or something like it and being a shell of himself the last third of the season.

Edit: Walton's long stretches without rebounds bothered me a lot last season. But I don't believe that is an issue of ability or desire. I believe it was a matter of understanding the rotations inside the game and getting his sea legs back. He'll be a lot better in 2019 on the glass.

I agree with you. But that doesn't need to be brought in to any greater degree. Dallas and Bey, in particular, need to get stronger while better understanding the rotations. Most especially, Nikolic needs to get stronger in order to become a better rebounder. But that's all going to happen while Battey and Dombek also come in as reinforcements.
Edit: Walton's long stretches without rebounds bothered me a lot last season. But I don't believe that is an issue of ability or desire. I believe it was a matter of understanding the rotations inside the game and getting his sea legs back. He'll be a lot better in 2019 on the glass.

My concern is having just two legitimate players inside: Walton and Battey. If one of them goes down with an injury, suspension, academics, fouls, etc..., the team is left with just one big. Those big's are young, growing pains will happen.
I agree that the outside shooting needs to be addressed, however, there is a roster full of wings and perimeter players. If they cannot shoot worth a darn, release them and get someone in who can light it up. I would not take a risk on giving a Big's roster spot up for another shooter who may sit on the bench. A Big will be used and called upon for resting the starters, foul trouble, etc...
If Battey evolves into the force that most of us hope for, then yes, the need for a big can wait for another year. Hopefully that is the case.

Lucas Siewart does exist. And does guard bigs (doing so very well is debatable). So does Bey. He can also guard smaller guys. Nikolic has also demonstrated he can guard bigs in small doses if necessary. Hopefully those guys all continue to improve and can rebound more effectively, because George was a great rebounder and his production there has to be replaced. But the panic of this guy is nonsense.

Dallas will be a better rebounder next year. He gained a lot of strength in his RS year but is far from a finished product in the weight room. As @Buffnik pointed out correctly a lot of it is regaining his legs and adjusting to the college game. Bey as well showed flashes as an effective rebounder and should also come back stronger and more mature.

I would also not agree that you have to have "a" dominant post rebounder. It's a plus to have a guy who can consistently get you double figures on the boards or close but in some ways it is better to have multiple guys who average 5-6. When you do this it tends to result in getting the ball out into transition more quickly and you don't have the issues of having your rebounding game shut down when the opponent has somebody physically negate your big guy.

Back