What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Carousel...

Mac went to Mizzou

I know he went to Mizzou but I guess he still considers himself a Michigan man after coaching their under Bo like Walrus said. Here is the blurb from the Star Tribune - just thought it was interesting thats all.

Former Colorado coach and Michigan assistant Bill McCartney, one of Miles' coaching mentors, said he sent an e-mail to Miles on Monday imploring him to take the Michigan job.
"I wrote, 'From one Michigan man to another, go build them back up,'" McCartney said Tuesday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I'm really disappointed he didn't take the premier job in all of sports."
McCartney, who took Miles with him from Michigan to Colorado in 1982, said it was "semantics" whether Miles was officially offered the job by athletic director Dave Brandon during their face-to-face meeting Monday in Baton Rouge.
"When you get on a plane with your wife to go talk to a guy like Dave Brandon did, you're showing respect and you're showing you're very interested," McCartney said. "I tried to tell Les to take the job, but obviously he didn't and I can't and won't hide my disappointment."

---Mac is still stuck in the 80's/90's - I wouldn't consider Michigan the primier job in all of sports. Good job of course but not THE job.

I don't get it. Most of our former coaches ended up at some pretty good programs... yet we sucked.

---Mac is still stuck in the 80's/90's - I wouldn't consider Michigan the primier job in all of sports. Good job of course but not THE job.

i wouldn't even say UM was the premier job of the 80's or 90's or at anytime in my lifetime. they had a split NC with NU in 97, that's about it. They won a lot of games before WWII so they get to lay claim to the "winningest program" title.

Texas
Ohio State
USC
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Alabama
Florida (right now)
LSU (right now)
Auburn (maybe....their trophy case is all shiny today)

all as good if not better jobs than UM today.

i wouldn't even say UM was the premier job of the 80's or 90's or at anytime in my lifetime. they had a split NC with NU in 97, that's about it. They won a lot of games before WWII so they get to lay claim to the "winningest program" title.

Texas
Ohio State
USC
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Alabama
Florida (right now)
LSU (right now)
Auburn (maybe....their trophy case is all shiny today)

all as good if not better jobs than UM today.

Agreed - Fielding Yoast is probably rolling over in his grave right now.

I'm pretty sure the $ec kept some "traditional" rivalries in place, regardless of the divisional assignment. For instance, Bama and the Rocky Tops were allowed to kept their game on the 3rd Sat in October.

Georgia and Auburn still play every year as it is the South's oldest rivalry.

I know he went to Mizzou but I guess he still considers himself a Michigan man after coaching their under Bo like Walrus said. Here is the blurb from the Star Tribune - just thought it was interesting thats all.

Former Colorado coach and Michigan assistant Bill McCartney, one of Miles' coaching mentors, said he sent an e-mail to Miles on Monday imploring him to take the Michigan job.
"I wrote, 'From one Michigan man to another, go build them back up,'" McCartney said Tuesday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "I'm really disappointed he didn't take the premier job in all of sports."
McCartney, who took Miles with him from Michigan to Colorado in 1982, said it was "semantics" whether Miles was officially offered the job by athletic director Dave Brandon during their face-to-face meeting Monday in Baton Rouge.
"When you get on a plane with your wife to go talk to a guy like Dave Brandon did, you're showing respect and you're showing you're very interested," McCartney said. "I tried to tell Les to take the job, but obviously he didn't and I can't and won't hide my disappointment."

I guess that Mac isn't interested in getting a black HC at Michigan?

haven't seen any confirmation that he actually signed that contract extension. seems like it might have been a "verbal agremeent" to keep him away from Minnesota or Indiana, but Hoke might have been taking his time to sign it once the Michigan smoke swirled around.

Interesting, found lots of reports he signed: here here here here

But also this note that says it wasn't signed: here

I might have to start not believing everything I read...

David shaw has been promoted from OC to HC at Stanford.

Think that´s all HC vacancies filled. Guess Stanford promoted Shaw to keep their recruiting class together.

Last edited:
Stanford recently interviewed Yale HC Tom Williams. He's a Stanford alum, but that one seems like a bit of a stretch.

Looks like Fisch, once rumored to be a QB coach candidate, spurned us to take the OC job at the U. Seems like Scherer has more experience coaching QB's though, so maybe better in the long run.

Back