What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Carousel...

Brady Hoke it is at UM...so did he ever actually signhis extension at SDSU, or did UM beat the Aztecs to the punch?

Some coaches are just making TOO MUCH money.

Miles is absolutely making a fortune. All he has to do is win 8 games a year and he practically has a contract for life. If LSU wants to fire him, they have to pay him $18.5 million dollars. Unless Michigan was going to offer a LARGER contract, I really don't see why he would leave - even if it was for Michigan.

I was hoping Miles would take the Mich job, since the rumors were that LSU was going after Pelini if Les took off.

I was hoping Miles would take the Mich job, since the rumors were that LSU was going after Pelini if Les took off.

I prefer Pellini (and Watson) to stay right where they are. Mediocrity is so insufferable. Unless you find it entertaining to watch. :lol:

Miles has it written in his contract that if he wins another national championship he will be one of the 3 highest paid coaches in college football. He's close to that already, and LSU has a habit of not firing their football coaches. If he wins 9 or 10 games a year - which he has not had any trouble doing since he's been there. He's had 4 eleven win seasons in his 6 years, he can stay in Baton Rouge forever. I know Michigan is his alma mater, but he doesn't even have to leave the state to get alot of 5 and 4 star recruits, plus there's no competition from any instate programs. He's also in by far the best division in college football - the SEC West - the last 5 BCS champions are from the SEC West. The SEC West went 5 - 1 in bowl games this year, and if Mallett hadn't choked, they would have been 6 - 0.

Your'e right, I never realized that. Why does LSU play them every year? I can't remember a year when they haven't
played them - can you?
They have played each other 58 times - Florida leads the all time series 30 - 25 - 3.

Buffnik's point on SDSU becoming TCU is a good one. Mac owned San Diego when UCLA and USC were down. SDSU needs to be kept down to keep SoCal kids in the Pac12 period. Hopefully Kiffen and Skippy will return the other SoCal teams to their mediocre ways soon.

Stanford job is not a good one right now. Whoever takes it has huge shoes to fill. It's about timing. Head coaches want to take a program that's performed poorly but has some talent. Lots of upsides. Stanford is in the top 5 and no where to go but down imo. Bad job at this juncture. Uconn is also probably at a peak. Michigan will be an easy one for Hoke. RichRod recruited pretty well and had a crappy Defense. He will fix their defense in 10 days or less. Just like Pelini did at NU. Callahan loaded them with talent but his DC was horrible. Pelini fixed that pretty quickly and became a legend in bugville.

Buffnik's point on SDSU becoming TCU is a good one. Mac owned San Diego when UCLA and USC were down. SDSU needs to be kept down to keep SoCal kids in the Pac12 period. Hopefully Kiffen and Skippy will return the other SoCal teams to their mediocre ways soon.

Stanford job is not a good one right now. Whoever takes it has huge shoes to fill. It's about timing. Head coaches want to take a program that's performed poorly but has some talent. Lots of upsides. Stanford is in the top 5 and no where to go but down imo. Bad job at this juncture. Uconn is also probably at a peak. Michigan will be an easy one for Hoke. RichRod recruited pretty well and had a crappy Defense. He will fix their defense in 10 days or less. Just like Pelini did at NU. Callahan loaded them with talent but his DC was horrible. Pelini fixed that pretty quickly and became a legend in bugville.

If the choice were to have those kids go to UCLA, ASU, AZ, or Utah; then I'd rather that they go to SDSU. But, of course, they must choose CU above all! haha

The Aztecs have been a sleeping giant for decades, sitting on a recruiting gold mine. Two other similarly situated programs have been able to pull it off: TCU has risen from the mid-major ashes, South Florida has as well. Will SDSU's next HC be able to do that there? we'll see

I'm pretty sure the $ec kept some "traditional" rivalries in place, regardless of the divisional assignment. For instance, Bama and the Rocky Tops were allowed to kept their game on the 3rd Sat in October.
Wise decision by the $EC. You know I remember Florida playing West teams in the championship game. Every year Florida plays LSU and Bama plays Tenn - it doesn't hurt that all the stadiums invovled seat over 90,000, and it's guaranteed prime time on TV. Makes $ense.

Rocky Long to replace Hoke at SDSU.

He was the DC under Hoke and former New Mexico HC (probably their best run at football).

Borges (the OC) going to Michigan with Hoke.

How long do you think Michigan will give Hoke - it's going to take him at least 3 or 4 years to get his system up and running?
OSU will probably be eating his lunch for 3 years.

How long do you think Michigan will give Hoke - it's going to take him at least 3 or 4 years to get his system up and running?
OSU will probably be eating his lunch for 3 years.

I think he will certainly get a "pass" in year 1. New coach, new part of the country, new scheme to implement with former players, and the Big Ten's new divisional alignment. With that said, the pressure will be pretty intense for Michigan to play in the first Big Ten Championship game, however, so the timing couldn't be worse for Hoke to live up to expectations.

What's funny is that San Diego State is on the Wolverines schedule next year (9/24/11). With Eastern and Western Michigan as the cupcakes and Notre Dame as the other OOC game, they have a fairly easy OOC schedule, but the conference slate isn't a cakewalk with every Big Ten team except Penn State and Indiana. Minnesota is the only "gimme" on that schedule.

Hoke seems like a very good "X's and O's" coach and that is what big time schools like Michigan need. Recruiting is almost done by itself due to the tradition, hype, etc etc. Coaching up the talent and getting them to perform is what matters the most there. Hoke should be able to improve the D, and they have playmakers on Offense. Iowa and Nebraska aren't exactly primed to dominate next season either, so they could certainly be in the mix; but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Spartans take the division in 2011.

As long as the Wolverines go 2-2 or better against Michigan State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and newcomer Nebraska, then I think the pressure will get eased on Hoke.

I'd give him 2-3 years to turn it around there because it isn't the SEC, and getting to 8 wins shouldn't be that monumentally difficult in the Big Ten for one of the premiere programs. I would bet on a Michigan upset of the Buckeyes within that timeframe too (especially post-Pryor).

Meeechigan would have been better served to keep Rich Rod on the condition that he fires his DC and spend the money they will be paying on Rich Rod's buy out to go hire a top DC. Go get a Kirby Smart, Fanzio, etc and pay him close to a million a year whatever and they could get it fixed and save the recruiting class.

His offense was working but the defense cost him almost every game. I saw an article where Coach Mac was pissed that Les turned the job down but I would too if I was Les. He said he emailed Les "from one Michigan man to another, take the job and rebuild the program" I think Les would be crazy to leave LSU now. He's making bank, got some of the best players in his own backyard and will get something like 15 million if LSU fires him. All the best players are in the south these days and it will take a while for them to get back on top especially if they try to go away from the spread now that all the athletes on campus are for a spread scheme.

Meeechigan would have been better served to keep Rich Rod on the condition that he fires his DC and spend the money they will be paying on Rich Rod's buy out to go hire a top DC. Go get a Kirby Smart, Fanzio, etc and pay him close to a million a year whatever and they could get it fixed and save the recruiting class.

His offense was working but the defense cost him almost every game. I saw an article where Coach Mac was pissed that Les turned the job down but I would too if I was Les. He said he emailed Les "from one Michigan man to another, take the job and rebuild the program" I think Les would be crazy to leave LSU now. He's making bank, got some of the best players in his own backyard and will get something like 15 million if LSU fires him. All the best players are in the south these days and it will take a while for them to get back on top especially if they try to go away from the spread now that all the athletes on campus are for a spread scheme.

Mac went to Mizzou

Hoke will fix it very fast. This is the Pelini story part 2. A lot of good athletes at Michigan. Just hiring a good DC probably wouldn't have fixed the fact that the team was soft. Hoke's teams are NEVER soft. He's a BA. They will be tough immediately. This will be the #1 point of difference.

He brings an excellent OC with him and they will be good on both sides immediately and back into contention in 2-3 years. This year's recruiting class could be a total loss and won't make much difference in the long run. SDSU (imo) would have competed better than Michigan this year in the Big10 with much less talent.

Back