What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Football Ticket Renewals - CU May Have Lost A Season Ticket Holder

My point is who cares that you aren't renewing? This thread is a bunch of people telling sob stories about how long they owned the tickets while trying to justify why they aren't buying tickets. It's like people need approval from AllBuffs to drop their tickets.

Either buy tickets or don't, but posting about it here isn't going to change anything. If you donated enough for the AD to care I'm sure you could get a meeting with Rick to tell him in person.
Nobody needs approval from anyone to choose not to renew.

This thread is appropriate and the subject is important.

How well the AD anticipated this or how well they respond to the decline in the base of season ticket holders is a legitimate concern of Buff fans, be they a mega-donor with a sky box or one who makes one or two games a year in the cheap seats.

College football is in turmoil. There are real questions about who will be participating in major college football in a generation. Ticket revenue (and associated donation money) are a significant concern for those who care about the program and it's future.

It is always interesting when people feel compelled to tell others what they should or should not be saying.
Molly Ringwald Shut Up GIF

Nobody needs approval from anyone to choose not to renew.

This thread is appropriate and the subject is important.

How well the AD anticipated this or how well they respond to the decline in the base of season ticket holders is a legitimate concern of Buff fans, be they a mega-donor with a sky box or one who makes one or two games a year in the cheap seats.

College football is in turmoil. There are real questions about who will be participating in major college football in a generation. Ticket revenue (and associated donation money) are a significant concern for those who care about the program and it's future.
Buff fans thinking that RG and the rest of the AD are blindsided by non-renewals in the face of increased ticket prices and donation amounts is dumb, though. Fans may not think RG did a good job hiring Dorrell or that he sucks at writing contracts, etc but he's not an idiot. This is all a calculated move for one reason or another, likely for the reason I mentioned earlier today. Setting a new baseline ticket price and the best home schedule they've had in years coming up in 2023.

My point is who cares that you aren't renewing? This thread is a bunch of people telling sob stories about how long they owned the tickets while trying to justify why they aren't buying tickets. It's like people need approval from AllBuffs to drop their tickets.

Either buy tickets or don't, but posting about it here isn't going to change anything. If you donated enough for the AD to care I'm sure you could get a meeting with Rick to tell him in person.
It is a thread that is explicitly about not renewing football tickets. If you don’t care about this thread, the cool thing is that you can spend $20 per year for amazing online entertainment. Plus, you can ignore people, threads, and fora that you don’t care to see.

It is a thread that is explicitly about not renewing football tickets. If you don’t care about this thread, the cool thing is that you can spend $20 per year for amazing online entertainment. Plus, you can ignore people, threads, and fora that you don’t care to see.
You asked the question, so I answered it. I think this thread is dumb. This thread lives on because people feel like they need to justify to the group why they were dropping. Everyone in here is out of their mind if they think anything is going to change in 2023 even if there's a new coach. Until the university as a whole buys into athletics, the football team will continue to struggle. That's not going to happen even with a new AD. I know this isn't a new idea, but does anyone wonder why Mike Bohn has been so successful after getting fired from CU?

Buff fans thinking that RG and the rest of the AD are blindsided by non-renewals in the face of increased ticket prices and donation amounts is dumb, though. Fans may not think RG did a good job hiring Dorrell or that he sucks at writing contracts, etc but he's not an idiot. This is all a calculated move for one reason or another, likely for the reason I mentioned earlier today. Setting a new baseline ticket price and the best home schedule they've had in years coming up in 2023.
I'm sure the AD wasn't blindsided by a bunch of people not renewing. Honestly, I think renewals would have dropped significantly even if the prices stayed the same. The loss of talent in the portal after a disappointing season wasn't going to help ticket sales.

That may be his strategy, but that doesn't mean it's a good one. You don't just win back longtime, loyal customers who have decided enough is enough. I get that college football fans are not your average consumer, but at the end of the day, that's what they are -- consumers of a product. The season ticket holders aren't cancelling because the home schedule isn't good enough this season. They're cancelling because after several years of paying annually to watch a ****ty product, they decided they'd rather spend their money and their afternoons doing something else. The prospect of paying more to watch the Buffs get skull ****ed by USC next season isn't going to motivate these people to show up again and tell Rick to take all their money. A chance to rub elbows with a **** ton of red polyester clad ****heads isn't going to do it either.

You mentioned earlier that the sports market in Colorado is full of fair weather fans. That's true, and always has been. But fair weather fans don't buy season tickets. Diehard fans do. Fair weather fans buy a ticket to the night game against USC with a Pac 12 title on the line because the team is good. They sure as **** don't buy season tickets simply because Nebraska or CSU is on the schedule.

What is happening here is diehard fans are becoming closer to fair weather fans. These are people who have lived and died with the Buffs since they were kids. Now they'll watch on TV and hope the Buffs do well. Maybe they'll go down and see if they can get a cheap ticket when the weather's nice. But, it's no given that the majority of them are back buying season tickets for anything less than several years of good play on the field.

Maybe I'm wrong, but anything short of the Buffs hiring a huge name as a new head coach, and I don't see CU getting back a lot of these ticket holders for years, if at all.

That may be his strategy, but that doesn't mean it's a good one. You don't just win back longtime, loyal customers who have decided enough is enough. I get that college football fans are not your average consumer, but at the end of the day, that's what they are -- consumers of a product. The season ticket holders aren't cancelling because the home schedule isn't good enough this season. They're cancelling because after several years of paying annually to watch a ****ty product, they decided they'd rather spend their money and their afternoons doing something else. The prospect of paying more to watch the Buffs get skull ****ed by USC next season isn't going to motivate these people to show up again and tell Rick to take all their money. A chance to rub elbows with a **** ton of red polyester clad ****heads isn't going to do it either.

You mentioned earlier that the sports market in Colorado is full of fair weather fans. That's true, and always has been. But fair weather fans don't buy season tickets. Diehard fans do. Fair weather fans buy a ticket to the night game against USC with a Pac 12 title on the line because the team is good. They sure as **** don't buy season tickets simply because Nebraska or CSU is on the schedule.

What is happening here is diehard fans are becoming closer to fair weather fans. These are people who have lived and died with the Buffs since they were kids. Now they'll watch on TV and hope the Buffs do well. Maybe they'll go down and see if they can get a cheap ticket when the weather's nice. But, it's no given that the majority of them are back buying season tickets for anything less than several years of good play on the field.

Maybe I'm wrong, but anything short of the Buffs hiring a huge name as a new head coach, and I don't see CU getting back a lot of these ticket holders for years, if at all.
But you believe they are driving die hard season ticket holders away by increasing the cost, and while that might be true for some, most people are giving them up because, as you said, they are becoming generally more fair weather and deciding they wanted to do something different with their Saturday afternoons. Most of those people were leaving anyways, so increasing the cost, establishing a new baseline and making up for that lost revenue with the increased cost on the people who have decided to renew and anyone new fans who decide to buy is probably the best strategy.

I agree that they aren't getting the long term, die hards back without putting a winning product on the field, and even then, I bet many people here will decide the TV product is better and they like having their Fall Saturdays without an obligation. If they start winning, they'll attract new fans along with some of the old.

And yes, I believe many of you who gave up season tix this year will either get back in next year or at least buy whatever 4 game pack is required to get Nebraska and CSU tickets. Can we please stop pretending those two opponents aren't the most anticipated games of any season they are on the schedule? Both will be effective sellouts.

The days of CU being able to afford, let alone attract, a big time coach probably ended with Hawkins. There's no way that happens without a big time donor stepping up. We have to be content with Midnight Mel type hires and hope they stay longer than one season. That's is one of the biggest mistakes that RG made with hiring KD. He valued potential longevity too highly. I think he got the Tucker hire right, and he should have looked to repeat that model after Tucker left. At this point, CU is a stepping stone job, and the AD needs to realize that. They got lucky with Tad, and it's highly unlikely that they find the football equivalent of Tad.

You asked the question, so I answered it. I think this thread is dumb. This thread lives on because people feel like they need to justify to the group why they were dropping. Everyone in here is out of their mind if they think anything is going to change in 2023 even if there's a new coach. Until the university as a whole buys into athletics, the football team will continue to struggle. That's not going to happen even with a new AD. I know this isn't a new idea, but does anyone wonder why Mike Bohn has been so successful after getting fired from CU?

I'm sure the AD wasn't blindsided by a bunch of people not renewing. Honestly, I think renewals would have dropped significantly even if the prices stayed the same. The loss of talent in the portal after a disappointing season wasn't going to help ticket sales.
I asked because I thought your issue was a substantive one. It’s not. The subscription component gives you the opportunity to opt-out of content you think is dumb. That you continue to post in it goes against your original contention that nobody cares. The thread is five pages long already. That many people care.

My point is who cares you don’t like this thread? Your posts are one person telling sob stories about how you don’t like what other people are posting and trying to convince them to not post with your own posts. It’s like you need to approve what other people post on AllBuffs.

Either read and post posts or don’t, but posting about it here isn’t going to change anything. If you donated enough for AllBuffs to care I’m sure you could get a meeting with 96 Buff to tell him in person.

home game threads should have more posters active during the game, since they're not at Folsom. but I expect the negativity will be even more intense than the last few years.

interestimg thing is about this best home schedule in years is that my guess is tix rev will go up moderately if they exploit the visiting fans correctly with multi game packages. When this team goes winless or wins 1 game, there will not be anyone who cares who is coming in next year except opposing fans looking to see there team win. This will not get better with the lack of talent, recruiting and coaching ability in Boulder. RG is an idiot if he thinks this will take a magical turn because of who is coming into town next year when the product he his selling sucks and is getting worse

interestimg thing is about this best home schedule in years is that my guess is tix rev will go up moderately if they exploit the visiting fans correctly with multi game packages. When this team goes winless or wins 1 game, there will not be anyone who cares who is coming in next year except opposing fans looking to see there team win. This will not get better with the lack of talent, recruiting and coaching ability in Boulder. RG is an idiot if he thinks this will take a magical turn because of who is coming into town next year when the product he his selling sucks and is getting worse
And the more the stadium fills up with opposing fans the less fun the games become for Buff fans, especially as the product on the field is poor. End result is a continuation of the decline in repeat season ticket holders.

Buff fans will turn out to both of those games in 2023 regardless what happens this season, probably including yourself and most here who are giving up their season tickets

So about 2/3 red. Nice.

The CSU game will probably have a decent amount of green as well.

I get the AD will probably get a nice temporary spike, but given the no-show numbers the Broncos have had the last two seasons, numbers could look brutal in Folsom for non-marquee games in 2022 and 2023.
I’m sure you’ll be at both, as will most people here.

Broncos still collect revenue as if they are selling out every game, at least from a ticket standpoint, which has been my point about CU raising ticket prices and the 2023 season.

I’m sure you’ll be at both, as will most people here.

Broncos still collect revenue as if they are selling out every game, at least from a ticket standpoint, which has been my point about CU raising ticket prices and the 2023 season.

I think you severely underestimate the people that will go from 6-7 games down to 2-3.

Also, the Broncos do not collect revenue as if they are selling out, considering tickets are only part of the equation.

I think you severely underestimate the people that will go from 6-7 games down to 2-3.

Also, the Broncos do not collect revenue as if they are selling out, considering tickets are only part of the equation.
I have no doubt. I haven’t said otherwise, nor have I tried making a point to the contrary

Back