What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Future of football series vs CSU

I meant the Rockies baseball team, not the Rocky Mountain News. From the bio, it looks like he didn't become a scorer for them until 2004.

Okay, duh on me. Read "Rocky" for "Rockies" ... I'd blame it on lack of coffee, but I just woke up from a nap, so I have no excuse. DBT made me say it.

Okay, duh on me. Read "Rocky" for "Rockies" ... I'd blame it on lack of coffee, but I just woke up from a nap, so I have no excuse. DBT made me say it.

Just going strictly from memory I think that he worked a lot of TV broadcast as a spotter before becoming an official scorer for them. I would put a very high probability on him being in the stadium the day that Kizla got caught in Bichettes locker.

To bad Giambi wasn't with the team when it happened because I think Kizla would have ended up permanently disfigured had Jason been around for it.

I think one of the things with Plati that is both good and bad is that he has a very cozy relationship with a lot of the Denver media. The guy is a sports nut to an extreme level spending time in every press box in the area it seems like.

This is good because he can get a message out and people will listen to him. The bad side is that at times he needs to get past those relationships and be tougher with some of these guys and I think he has a hard time doing that.

Last edited:

Spends to much time in the paranoia vortex that is ramnation.

What they don't get is that CU doesn't need CSU, for CSU their existence is CU.

They want to be treated on equal terms but they aren't equal. Yes CU attendance has dropped the last couple years, it is still double what CSU gets for most home games. Prior to last year when they had a freak (for them) 10-2 season they were averaging less than 20k for home games.

Simply put CU is the marque name, even when down. CU is the P5 school, get the TV exposure, gets the TV money, is nationally known even when bad. CSU can stomp their little foot and cry all they want but CU has been carrying them long enough. If the game in Denver is so stinking important get more than 20,000 of you own fans out to the stadium, like everything else in the series CU has been carrying that game to in terms of attendance and the CU fans are sick of it.

Stephens knows his audience. He appeals to a niche market that believes in orange slices and everybody gets the same trophy. It keeps him employed in a dying industry. He will never be much more than what he is right now but he knows how to get the clicks from his little flock of followers.

Thankfully it seems that in RG, CU finally has someone who is willing to ignore the whining and bleating of the little band of losers to the north and do what is right of CU first.

If CSU wants the game to continue fine, agree to a deal that makes sense for CU. At least two out of three in Boulder, schedule to CUs convenience, and CU has the flexibility to skip years when they have a better option.

Better yet just kill it and move on.

is there no economics 101 in the CSU course catalog?

AGEC 101-501 Agricultural economics. Whine a lot and squeeze every subsidy you can get.

For the past few years CU has been subsidizing the CSU program with this game, now they think it is their right.

Wow. That is inaccurate and unfair on so many levels. I tried to respond, but it would let me. Here's what I wrote (I'd be obliged if someone with a FB account could post it for me. Feel free to credit it to Orr from Allbuffs):

I'm a CU fan, so pile on.

However, CU fans have been consistent since this debate began in December 2007, regarding our desire to see our home portion of this game in Folsom. It's healthy for our Boulder community, and overwhelmingly (based on the discussions I've held with fellow CU fans) we love the atmosphere of Folsom. Sports Authority feels sterile and bland. I'm a season ticket holder and I don't attend games there. It feels toxic to me.

CSU is the better football team. They proved that on the field this year. But obviously CU is interested in changing that--it would be imprudent to hold the 2014 game as a model of our relative positioning moving forward. Therefore, the intent should be to improve recruiting. The author's point regarding the source of our current recruiting base (66% Colorado, by his calculations) seems to point to the need to end the series, not to perpetuate it. CU needs to expand its recruiting territory.

And again--despite the relative quality of the teams in the moment--what is the model for a P5 conference scheduling a G5 opponent? It's two and one. So why would CU compromise that? To do so would be charity for CSU. Is that what CSU is asking for? Charity? Two and one is fair, like it or not.

Rick George is responding to what he's hearing from his fan base, which serves as his customers and donors. I don't get the point of beating him up for that. Also, I'm not sure why the author thinks that hiring Rick George was a move to make CU more competitive against CSU. Wouldn't it make sense to hire him to make gains in the Pac 12 conference? As much as CSU appears to think about CU, I'm not convinced that CU reciprocates similarly.

Also, I disagree with the criticisms on Rick George's hiring record. He hasn't hired many coaches, but as a fan I was pretty impressed with the Leavitt and Tumkin announcements last week.

The move to put the RMS in Sports Authority was pushed on CU by the state governor and legislature in 2007/2008. The CU fans have never liked it. Most CU fans have historically rooted for CSU (outside our own game), so we tend to be surprised by the hate spewed in our direction come game time. I'm sure you each have some story of a CU fan behaving badly, so maybe we bring out the worst in each other. I'm not sure how that is fun.

It's my opinion that we should give this game a rest for a few years at the end of the contract, and then resume on campus. Campus is where college football belongs.

I don't know why CSU is so emotional about this.

They don't need CU.

If they don't have this game, they'll simply schedule Alabama, Florida State, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan, Ohio State or similar to come to Denver for an event game to start the season. At least that's what Kiszla and others seem to think can happen.

Lady Gaga will probably do the National Anthem and a halftime show, too.

Matt Stephens:

1234443297_ken_park_suicide.gif

Orr - quick correction.

The CSU series, after about a 30 year hiatus beginning in 1959, was pushed on CU by the state legislature in the late 1980s. The most recent renewal was 2010, while CU was still in the Big 12 playing an 8-game conference schedule.

Did Stephens really compare CU's new facilities project to CSU's new stadium project? Is CSU getting a brand new weight room, performance center and in-door practice center to go along with their 40,000 seat stadium?

Orr - quick correction.

The CSU series, after about a 30 year hiatus beginning in 1959, was pushed on CU by the state legislature in the late 1980s. The most recent renewal was 2010, while CU was still in the Big 12 playing an 8-game conference schedule.

Nik. CSU leveraged the Governor for that recent renewal too.

CU needed some legislation to pass that would enhance the University's autonomy, so when pressure came from the state, CU's leadership complied. That debate was all happening in the winter of 07/08.

I don't know how far back the Daily Camera archives go, but there was a lot written/commented on back then.

Did Stephens really compare CU's new facilities project to CSU's new stadium project? Is CSU getting a brand new weight room, performance center and in-door practice center to go along with their 40,000 seat stadium?

CSU has an IPF already. It isn't regulation size, but they have one. I believe the new stadium will include a training center. Their project is a huge deal for their university, just like ours is. If they can get it done, good for them. No need to rag on them about it. It is going to be a nice stadium and I anticipate that IF (big if) they can fill it, the atmosphere will be great for their home games.

Personally, the 2-1 option with all games being played on campus would be great. FoCo is a short drive, true road atmospheres are fun to visit, and college stadiums are better than NFL ones. Period.

Also Matt Stephens is a moron, so reading anything he "reports" is a waste of time.

Nik. CSU leveraged the Governor for that recent renewal too.

CU needed some legislation to pass that would enhance the University's autonomy, so when pressure came from the state, CU's leadership complied. That debate was all happening in the winter of 07/08.

I don't know how far back the Daily Camera archives go, but there was a lot written/commented on back then.

I didn't remember that. Was that when Benson was wanting the state to not count international students in the calculation on the mandated % of in-state students admitted by CU each year? I remember there was a bunch of stuff going on and the CU had political reasons not to rock the boat.

Also, didn't CSU's feasibility study on the stadium include an assumed sell-out from hosting CU every other year?

I like Orr's note but there a few other things I don't totally agree with in his response. One is to point blank say CSU is the better football team. It would be remiss to not include the fact that over the history of the series and even in the last decade which is arguably one of the worst in the history of CU football, we dominate the series something like 2 to 1.

On another note, I would be ****ing pissed if the Legislature forced us to play CSU every year. How much can they force on us? Can they force it to be 1:1 or if they were to force can CU at least get 2 in Folsom for every 1 in the Fort? Can the legislature try to dictate that it occurs in Denver too?

CSU has an IPF already. It isn't regulation size, but they have one. I believe the new stadium will include a training center. Their project is a huge deal for their university, just like ours is. If they can get it done, good for them. No need to rag on them about it. It is going to be a nice stadium and I anticipate that IF (big if) they can fill it, the atmosphere will be great for their home games.

Personally, the 2-1 option with all games being played on campus would be great. FoCo is a short drive, true road atmospheres are fun to visit, and college stadiums are better than NFL ones. Period.

Also Matt Stephens is a moron, so reading anything he "reports" is a waste of time.

36,000 seats... who cares.

I like Orr's note but there a few other things I don't totally agree with in his response. One is to point blank say CSU is the better football team. It would be remiss to not include the fact that over the history of the series and even in the last decade which is arguably one of the worst in the history of CU football, we dominate the series something like 2 to 1.

On another note, I would be ****ing pissed if the Legislature forced us to play CSU every year. How much can they force on us? Can they force it to be 1:1 or if they were to force can CU at least get 2 in Folsom for every 1 in the Fort? Can the legislature try to dictate that it occurs in Denver too?

I was writing the comments to a CSU audience. They won't be able to get past recent results if you don't just come out and say "you're better". That permitted me to structure my argument to point out that it doesn't matter.

Also, their team earned it on the field. Fair is fair.

But if you get caught up in the series record, they won't hear the rest of the argument.

I was writing the comments to a CSU audience. They won't be able to get past recent results if you don't just come out and say "you're better". That permitted me to structure my argument to point out that it doesn't matter.

Also, their team earned it on the field. Fair is fair.

But if you get caught up in the series record, they won't hear the rest of the argument.

I might have said CSU was better in 2014.

There's really no argument to that. They won. They've got 5 guys at the NFL Combine to CU's zero.

On a side note, I think this was the high water mark for CSU football. They'll never be better than that. And it didn't result in a Top 25 ranking, Mountain West title (or appearance in the championship game), or a bowl win.

I might have said CSU was better in 2014.

There's really no argument to that. They won. They've got 5 guys at the NFL Combine to CU's zero.

On a side note, I think this was the high water mark for CSU football. They'll never be better than that. And it didn't result in a Top 25 ranking, Mountain West title (or appearance in the championship game), or a bowl win.

And yet, the author of that piece believes that CSU are the "Jonses" that CU is trying to keep up with. It's somewhere beyond delusional.

The new stadium is definitely a big deal for their program and good for them. I just feel Stephen's whole tone of that comment was to downplay CU's facilities as amateurish and CSU's as the real deal. In fact, I felt he was on a crusade throughout his entire article to present Rick George as an amateur AD, and CU as an amateur program, for supposedly copying CSU's "uber-successful" model of hiring a businessman as AD. An AD, mind you, that made the two best hires in the schools recent history and was subsequently fired because he had personal difference with Tony Frank. I despise these publications that give morons like Stephens the platform to deflect from the dysfunction in the CSU AD and present it as the model for excellence.

This whole kerfuffle shows that CSU and the Colorado government are reactionary when it comes to the important issue of conference affiliation and football scheduling.

If the state politicians really cared about CSU's future viability, they would never have allowed CSU to be stranded in a non-power conference like the MWC.

Continuing to fabricate and perpetuate an instate rivalry between CU and CSU ignores the realities of how college football is currently structured.

This whole kerfuffle shows that CSU and the Colorado government are reactionary when it comes to the important issue of conference affiliation and football scheduling.

If the state politicians really cared about CSU's future viability, they would never have allowed CSU to be stranded in a non-power conference like the MWC.

Continuing to fabricate and perpetuate an instate rivalry between CU and CSU ignores the realities of how college football is currently structured.

Half the local media would prefer it if CU dropped down to the MWC as a G5 program so that things would be on equal footing and they only had to look away from the Broncos long enough to check a single conference's standings when they were forced to do a segment on college sports. CU, CSU, AFA & WYO all grouped together in a single ESPN page. It's a dream. Beyond that, a lot of the local media went to CSU or, with the old guard, a Big 8 school -- so there's a disconnect with CU and its affiliation with the west coast.

The new stadium is definitely a big deal for their program and good for them. I just feel Stephen's whole tone of that comment was to downplay CU's facilities as amateurish and CSU's as the real deal. In fact, I felt he was on a crusade throughout his entire article to present Rick George as an amateur AD, and CU as an amateur program, for supposedly copying CSU's "uber-successful" model of hiring a businessman as AD. An AD, mind you, that made the two best hires in the schools recent history and was subsequently fired because he had personal difference with Tony Frank. I despise these publications that give morons like Stephens the platform to deflect from the dysfunction in the CSU AD and present it as the model for excellence.

CSU fans were also running their mouth about the stadium expansion because it only included the bleachers last year. Their tone changed as soon as the steel went up 5 stories, and the size of the project became more than just talk.

Three things that are important right now, IMO:

1) This story is already dead in the Denver media. They've already moved on.
2) This story should already be dead for us. We got what we want - an end to the series. Time to move on.
3) We shouldn't give a sh*t about what the goat fans think. There are only a dozen or so of them anyway. Don't give them the podium.

In other words:

Let-it-Go_0-1024x724.jpg

All CSU and their mouthpieces need to do is name one other current example of a P5 school playing an ongoing annual series with an in-state G5 rival at a neutral location, and I'll shut up. Thanks.

Three things that are important right now, IMO:

1) This story is already dead in the Denver media. They've already moved on.
2) This story should already be dead for us. We got what we want - an end to the series. Time to move on.
3) We shouldn't give a sh*t about what the goat fans think. There are only a dozen or so of them anyway. Don't give them the podium.

In other words:

Let-it-Go_0-1024x724.jpg

I have a bad feeling in the next 6 years something will happen re: the series and we won't like it

Yeah, we have a looonnnnggg way to go before this fight is over.

Yeah, we have a looonnnnggg way to go before this fight is over.
I am still unclear on what possible recourse CSU has or the legislature to force us into playing CSU. Some of my questions are what legislative power do they have to:
1) Force us to play CSU in the future?
2) Could they force us to play them every year, or if they did compel us to play CSU, could we at least opt for once every 2 or 3 yrs?
3) Could they force the venue on us (i.e. Denver) or would we at least be able to say only in home stadiums?
4) Could they force into a 1 home 1 away or if we were compelled to play them every year, could we at least stick to a 2:1 model?

To me the answers to these questions are critical to whether we can just let this thing die or not. If the Legislature can force some of those issues above, there is still lobbying to be done.

Back