What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread - (RV) Men's bball on the road vs. #20/21 CSU (Wed., 11/29/23, 7:00 PM) & hosting Pepperdine (Sunday, 3:00 PM MT)

I don't know where I stand on this I mean CSU made Creighton look second rate and they didn't even play that well. I'm going to go with the Buffs need to step up their game. I think CSU is legit this year.

We are going to have some challenges this year while we figure out the guard play outside of KJ.

If we play this game later in the year in our building we win it.

Buffs match-up well vs. both CSU & #10 Miami FL on 12/20; gotta get 1 of 2 wIns!

I’m more concerned with CSU’s elite D than Miami’s match-up, including CSU #3 in US in transition D, which should be a big test of our half-court offense. But they run so many guys back, we should dominate O-boards.

I’ve only driven up to Fort Collins for 2 games in 30 years of following CU Buffs here, but really tough place to play! Another Battle of Toughness tomorrow? We didn’t fare so well in the last one versus FSU!
I hate it when I’m right about our lack of toughness. Tad said post-game we didn’t show mental toughness to stick to game plan to get paint touches to start game. + no kills (of 3 stops in a row) the whole game!!!

We just made 12/20 Miami FL game vs. elite O a “Must Win.” No more Non-Con stumbles allowed! Bigger worry is teams will continue physical play against us (after FSU & CSU); we need an answer! At least we should be able to improve our mental toughness!

-Lot of parity in Top 18-37(ish) teams. If FSU & CSU keep winning, Buffs SOS will be fine on Selection Sunday. Starting this Sat. w/ FSU at North Carolina & CSU at Washington.

-Ken Pom: CSU 25; USC 30; UCLA 32; CU Buffs 35; Miami FL 44-after loss vs Kentucky.

-Still think Buffs spend season closer to Top-20, than Top-35! Boo, Hiss 🐏’s!!!!! ✌Out!

I have no concerns when CU plays at home. Hell, we could probably run the table at home this year. But, I have concerns with this team when they go on the road. They look totally different. And it's not just "every team has a hard time on the road" thing. They literally look like a different team.

The home team wins 66+% of the time in men's college ball. This has been a fact for a long time everyone is different on the road, or this wouldn't be the case.

I'm not advocating for this, but if once every five years or so the CU/CSU game was played at Ball Arena, how big a crowd would it draw?

I hate it when I’m right about our lack of toughness. Tad said post-game we didn’t show mental toughness to stick to game plan to get paint touches to start game. + no kills (of 3 stops in a row) the whole game!!!

We just made 12/20 Miami FL game vs. elite O a “Must Win.” No more Non-Con stumbles allowed! Bigger worry is teams will continue physical play against us (after FSU & CSU); we need an answer! At least we should be able to improve our mental toughness!

-Lot of parity in Top 18-37(ish) teams. If FSU & CSU keep winning, Buffs SOS will be fine on Selection Sunday. Starting this Sat. w/ FSU at North Carolina & CSU at Washington.

-Ken Pom: CSU 25; USC 30; UCLA 32; CU Buffs 35; Miami FL 44-after loss vs Kentucky.

-Still think Buffs spend season closer to Top-20, than Top-35! Boo, Hiss 🐏’s!!!!! ✌Out!
What exactly does Lampkin bring to the post game?
I would rather put TDS or LOB or someone that has some moves down there and is a better passer
I like Lampkin as a man and a motivator, but he has a pretty weak touch around the basket

Man for man, CSU is worse than CU at almost every position, or essentially should be, or the lineup is wrong
KJ is the best PG over Stevens
Cody was the BEST overall talent on the floor
TDS if there was a fire under his ass is better than Clifford or any other wing scrub
Hammond and O'Brien can match up or should beat headband boy or other guys.
We are not playing hard enough, we are not shooting 3's well enough, and we are not brining what is perceived to be the right physicality to the party that the refs will not bury us with junk fouls.
They need to gel better.

The foul on Hadley was actually a foul on them. The last Jump ball call was BS. I'm biased too but it seemed they weren't allowing us to play D. They called touch fouls on us while letting CSU get away with them. The tech on Tad hurt but Idk if it was warranted or not. I didn't see what Tad did.
I get so mad when refs call a jump ball when the defender has half a hand on the ball for a fraction of a second.

If anyone is looking for a positive from this game, in the second half Cody realized that nobody on CSU could guard him and he was aggressive. If he plays that way in the first half we win. We need to give him the reins when the offense starts to stall out because very few people can stay in front of him and contest when he wants to get to the hoop.

Isaiah Stevens will likely be MWC player of the year, he's a bad man (who should have exhausted his eligibility).

Of course we get motivated Nique, that was expected. He's played well so far this year but his issue was always consistency, can he bring it the rest of the year when he's not playing his former team?

Tad talked about Joel Scott being the same player as Hadley. Right now I'd take Scott. Just like his brother he is so fundamentally sound and seems like a more efficient player than Hadley.

Disappointing loss but I'd love to play CSU again on any court. CU had them mostly solved in the second half other than Isaiah Stevens, who was real impressive.

Biggest thing I'm seeing so far is that TDS isn't fully comfortable with the new offense.
He showed visible signs of frustration against FSU and last night when he made mistakes. I feel like he is a player that allows mistakes to get in his head when he should realize he's too good for that.

Man for man, CSU is worse than CU at almost every position, or essentially should be, or the lineup is wrong
KJ is the best PG over Stevens
Cody was the BEST overall talent on the floor
TDS if there was a fire under his ass is better than Clifford or any other wing scrub
Hammond and O'Brien can match up or should beat headband boy or other guys.
We are not playing hard enough, we are not shooting 3's well enough, and we are not brining what is perceived to be the right physicality to the party that the refs will not bury us with junk fouls.
KJ is really good, probably the better athlete.

But Stevens play-making last night was on another level. He was exceptional at getting easy looks for his teammates, never turned the ball over, and when CSU needed big buckets he answered every time. Unfortunately for him he is undersized for the NBA but he will make a lot of money in Europe a la Cory Higgins.

Biggest thing I'm seeing so far is that TDS isn't fully comfortable with the new offense.
He ran it fine the first few games. Ball moved, open shots were created, looked great.

Now he looks like he'd rather be taking an o-chem final.

I don’t think the offense is the problem.
I think it ties in with his general challenge with disappearing and then, when Tad gets on him to be aggressive, pressing/ forcing. He doesn't seem to be in the flow & making crisp cuts or calling for the ball like he needs to as the primary option in a 4- or 5-out motion offense.

I think it ties in with his general challenge with disappearing and then, when Tad gets on him to be aggressive, pressing/ forcing. He doesn't seem to be in the flow & making crisp cuts or calling for the ball like he needs to as the primary option in a 4- or 5-out motion offense.
Again, those all seem like TDS problems, not problems with our offense.

The sooner that CW gets comfortable as the #2 and TDS can move down to our third option, the better the team will be. This is why I'm fine with us taking some lumps in non-conference play as CW gets his feet wet. It'll only pay off in Feb and March.

The sooner that CW gets comfortable as the #2 and TDS can move down to our third option, the better the team will be. This is why I'm fine with us taking some lumps in non-conference play as CW gets his feet wet. It'll only pay off in Feb and March.
I agree those are TDS problems. I have always agreed that TDS can't be your alpha.

None. Neither brand is strong enough to fill the stadium.
agree with your second statement -- the game doesn't draw 19k

I don't think you really meant 'none', and I think you have expertise on this I don't, but I do think it would draw a crowd above the CUEC capacity.

The football game drew an average of around 70k when played at Mile High. That's 40% more than Folsom. Downgrade that number for (a) hoops less popular than fb and (b) weekday vs weekend, cuts it in half to 20%. if the basketball game drew 20% more than the CUEC, that's 13,200

different approach for a sniff test on the above:
  • It seems that the game played at Ball would draw at least as much as the CUEC (which consistently sells out for this match), 11k
  • lose a few Boulder people who won't go to Denver (20%?), 8800
  • add a few FoCo people willing to make the drive (10% of Moby cap?), 9600
  • add 2000* Denver-based CU and CSU fans who don't usually go to the on-campus games, 11600
  • add 1500* Denver-based basketball fans without affiliation to either school, 13,100

* I made those numbers up, but I'm think that <20% of the attendance of a Nuggets weekday game is a realistic adder here

I don't think you really meant 'none', and I think you have expertise on this I don't, but I do think it would draw a crowd above the CUEC capacity.

The football game drew an average of around 70k when played at Mile High. That's 40% more than Folsom. Downgrade that number for (a) hoops less popular than fb and (b) weekday vs weekend, cuts it in half to 20%. if the basketball game drew 20% more than the CUEC, that's 13,200

• It seems that the game played at Ball would draw at least as much as the CUEC (which consistently sells out for this match), 11k
  • add 2000* Denver-based CU and CSU fans who don't usually go to the on-campus games, 11600
  • add 1500* Denver-based basketball fans without affiliation to either school, 13,100

* I made those numbers up, but I'm think that <20% of the attendance of a Nuggets weekday game is a realistic adder here
College games in pro stadiums suck. End of conversation, the answer is NO

Can we bring him in off the bench then?

You're being way too optimistic. Students wouldn't travel for that. Boulder and FoCo wouldn't travel. You'd get the Denver fans who would be fine going to a game - which is a pretty small number for hoops.

It would be an empty stadium.

You're being way too optimistic. Students wouldn't travel for that. Boulder and FoCo wouldn't travel. You'd get the Denver fans who would be fine going to a game - which is a pretty small number for hoops.

I remember in like 06 the Pepsi Center tried to host a local team double-header, with us playing a non-con and CSU and DU playing each other. About 50 people attended.

ok, thanks. I believe you.

we’ll beat Miami similar to our Tennessee win, it’s how these teams roll

I’m going to back off of having expectations a bit and try to enjoy watching Buffs bball for what it is. at this stage it doesn’t feel like we have the pieces for a Sweet 16. maybe we do move on from Tad if the AD actually wants to win big in bball, but won’t be this season

mostly worried now that CW will play his way into the ‘24 draft lottery but won’t be dominant enough for the team to have a special year

Dislike losing to the Rams, but wasn't expecting a win. Moby can be a tough place to play, especially for CU since its always a big crowd.

I was encouraged after the game. Buffs put up a fight and looked like the better team in the 2nd half at least. A bit worried about perimeter shooting but the new offense is working, would like to see them run more p&r.

Back