What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

HCMM hangs up on radio show

Put it into perspective - somebody wanted to interview our head coach because we are a Top 10 program. Full stop. We good again. I'll take everything that comes with that and ask for more.

Just a bad decision to be a part of the show to begin with. Hearing the audio, I could tell HCMM was not in a great mood.

Just a bad decision to be a part of the show to begin with. Hearing the audio, I could tell HCMM was not in a great mood.
This. This is game plan installation week. Would have been very easy to politely decline the show invite if that was the case. If Plati requested an invite to the show, that's where the coach and the AD should have said, "no thanks, busy." Even asshat shock jocks like this guy appears to be couldn't spin that negatively. This was all easily avoidable.

The problem wasn't with MM, IMO. It was with Plati's reaction. Honestly, can't this athletic department find somebody with a little savvy to handle stuff like this? Plati is way out of his element whenever it comes to dealing with this kind of thing. Would it be that tough to hire a PR guy? Really?

Come on. Not a great look for MM, but is it really a big deal?

Nope. Funny thing is, I see SEC coaches (led by Saban) get annoyed with the media all the time and cut things off. So I guess HCMM's behavior was actually big time. Small time would have been if he was so appreciative of the air time that he put up with an interview he wasn't liking. Nothing story that Travis is trying to make into something bigger. Plati did Travis a big time solid by throwing fuel on it.

I actually don't mind Travis compared to Cowherd, Skippy, SAS, et al. Pretty apathetic about what MM did. Should've had a better response, but it is a non-story to me. Plati ****s up gloriously again. Still coming with that bunker mentality despite a top ten ranking.

cowherd just spent 5 mins on mac....said correct answer to question is "no"....not "no comment" which he says is a back handed "yes"....he did have 5 mins of buffs highlights playing in the back ground and said oregons hiring of mfjl was biggest story of the day and was probably the reason mac was testy

I felt like all of CT'S questions weren't even relevant to MM or the program. Random questions about suspect conduct at Wake forest, Washington as a team in general. and if MM got any calls for other positions (why in the world would MM even talk about this anyway). Frankly he could have gotten any coach on the program to talk about that stuff. Was a pretty poor interview in my opinion and don't blame MM for hanging up.

I like Plati and every coach has praised him. His problem here (and at other times) is that he loves CU so much he does something dumb like cursing someone out in a public forum. I doubt any of his haters here can come up with much specific.

Everyone asks coaches about their interest in other jobs. Macintyre needs to be prepared and have a canned response, whether or not they told the host they don't want to get into those topics. It's bush league for the show to ask him if they agreed they wouldn't ahead of time, but just answer the stupid question and move on. Don't go on their show the next time.
Plati's 2nd message seems to say that the subject of the interview had been agreed to in advance and it didn't include asking about offers

Plati's 2nd message seems to say that the subject of the interview had been agreed to in advance and it didn't include asking about offers

Not only that, but Mac was getting asked about Washington and everything except CU football, our upcoming bowl game, etc. Given Travis's listenership, he wanted to turn it into a scouting report for the upcoming Alabama game.

we need an actual pr person in the CUAD. this person should handle bookings and press relations and social media. i love plati's passion and he's very good at the stats stuff, but he seems to not understand how to avoid making a small thing into a big thing.

Put it into perspective - somebody wanted to interview our head coach because we are a Top 10 program. Full stop. We good again. I'll take everything that comes with that and ask for more.
That's not really accurate. He didn't ask anything about CU, which would be the only reason a coach would do a show like that.

1. He leads with asking about the Wake Forest situation and wants to know if Coach Mac is paranoid about a similar situation happening. Coach Mac delivers a partial answer and then says he really doesn't have an opinion on it so he opts not to comment further. Travis presses further and asks about the Louisville side of it and if it would be weird about somebody calling and asking you about certain plays. Mac says that hasn't happened to him.
2. Travis moves on to the Pac-12 title game, but his question is "How good is Washington?" and "Could they beat Alabama?" Neither of those questions is pertinent to Colorado Football (a top 10 program).
3. Travis then moves into the questions about the "crazy season" and jobs. He asks the question "What's it like to suddenly find your name associated with a ton of college football openings?" (he closes the question by jabbing with a comment that he probably wasn't getting these calls when his team was "2 & 25 or whatever the heck your record was"). Mac gives a solid response on how he grew up in that environment and that it is different now with the increased media presence.
4. Travis follows that with the question about whether or not he has been contacted about any jobs. Mac replies "I have no comment on any of that." Travis immediately replies with "So that means yes." Mac states, "No, I have no comment."

At no point was the interview about Colorado Football, what he or the team accomplished this year, or about what is coming up for Colorado Football. Those are the topics that should be on the table for an interview with somebody who is raking in all of the Coach of the Year hardware.

Clay Travis burned a bridge today. Nobody involved with Colorado Athletics will ever appear on his show again. If he wanted somebody to analyze Wake Forest, Washington, and job openings for him, he could have had anybody from Fox Sports on to do that. Travis was unprepared and likely unwilling to talk about Colorado Football, therefore I think that Coach MacIntyre did the right thing in politely ending the interview.

Dave Plati putting Travis on blast using expletives should not have happened. That's a poor overreaction to the situation.

Also, Plati should have known better than to put MacIntyre on with Travis. There are a lot of "Hot Sprots Taekz" idiots out there on radio and TV like Travis, Cowherd, Bayless, Rome, etc. Every SID in the nation should know who those guys are. They aren't journalists. They are there to stir the pot. They have a limited reach. There isn't any benefit in putting your coaches or players on with those guys.

I doubt he would set MacIntyre up to do a one-on-one interview with Mark Kiszla because he knows Kiszla would spin the contents of that interview into something that promotes Kiszla. Travis is the same type of guy, just in national radio rather than local newspaper.

Well at least we lived up to our Bush League national reputation. Now to complete the cycle let's see if some former players and coaches can publicly embarrass us too - that seems par for the course.

I am a Plati apologist. I really like the guy and I know a lot of the things he does for CU athletes - does not matter if you were a walk-on or an all-American. Most people who cover the Buffs either directly or as visiting media will praise his professionalism. Before everyone rushes to judgment, remember that we only have Clay Travis side of the story. Is Plati perfect - of course not. Can he be a mother hen about CU - of course. But as a person, he gives a lot more than he takes - so he gets a pass from me. CU will be worse off without him, I know that.

MacIntrye was bushed wacked by the talk show host and Plati jumped in to protect those he cares about. I have seen fans on here do worse.

Plati surely set up the interview and had what he thought was an understanding as to what the line of questioning would be.

Then he went to Mac and assured him what the questions would be. Then Travis reneged. Plati felt like he got scammed and got pissed.

Back