What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am trying to be patient with Sefo

Well...umm....uh....but they were mega superstar five star recruits! Sefo isn't. So there!!

Listen, I'm sure there are many. But I'd be willing to bet there are many more that improved as they matured.

My only point is that some guys just seem to have it in them to throw lots of interceptions, even guys who have all the tools, and even guys on good teams. For sure, that doesn't mean Sefo is one of them, but it doesn't mean he's not either. Time will tell. And yes, it's probably true most guys throw fewer pics as they progress from year one to year four.

Look at Simms agaisnt CU in the 2001 championship game. Simms was a damn fine player and one of the best qb's of all time at that school, but he had to be really good to overcome his relentless tendency to throw interceptions at the worst times. Those pics were absolute momentum killers for his team and you could count on him doing it.

I looked at Jameis Winston's stats just now. My first thought was "Those look awfully familiar". Here is the comparison

Jameis Winston
SEASONCMPATTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDINTSACK
Sefo Liufau

The YPA difference is glaring though. Certainly Winston has the better receivers, so that helps, but more than anything, Winston has the clutch gene. We really have yet to see that from Sefo. Take Winston off FSU and they are a 3-4 loss team.

The YPA difference is glaring though. Certainly Winston has the better receivers, running backs, offensive line, and defense to help keep him in games despite the interceptions, so that helps, but more than anything, Winston has the clutch gene. We really have yet to see that from Sefo. Take Winston off FSU and they are a 3-4 loss team.

fify

The YPA difference is glaring though. Certainly Winston has the better receivers, so that helps, but more than anything, Winston has the clutch gene. We really have yet to see that from Sefo. Take Winston off FSU and they are a 3-4 loss team.
To be clear, I am not saying Sefo is as good as Winston as I agree with all you just said. Just trying to give folks some perspective.

To be clear, I am not saying Sefo is as good as Winston as I agree with all you just said. Just trying to give folks some perspective.
Understood that you were doing that and it is interesting to see how Winston has come back to Earth stats-wise this season, and yet still keeps winning. A lesson to be learned by Sefo, ugly wins are still wins.

Understood that you were doing that and it is interesting to see how Winston has come back to Earth stats-wise this season, and yet still keeps winning. A lesson to be learned by Sefo, ugly wins are still wins.
The defense at FSU has had a lot to say about those comebacks and ugly wins.

I looked at Jameis Winston's stats just now. My first thought was "Those look awfully familiar". Here is the comparison

Jameis Winston
Sefo Liufau

Good point although statistics are far from telling all the story.

I haven't watched every down of Winston like I have of Sefo but I will say that not every INT is equal.

How many of Winstons INTs have been free pick 6's while the game was still in contention. Sefo has thrown a bunch of those this year. How about lost fumbles and again the situation of them.

Good point although statistics are far from telling all the story.

I haven't watched every down of Winston like I have of Sefo but I will say that not every INT is equal.

How many of Winstons INTs have been free pick 6's while the game was still in contention. Sefo has thrown a bunch of those this year. How about lost fumbles and again the situation of them.
Exactly. While an interception is an interception, the timing of the turnover is very crucial. Hence the reason we are where we are.

The statistics do tell an important story, though.

Sefo doesn't have a playmaker at TE. He doesn't have a playmaker catching the ball out of the backfield. He's got one great WR who is mostly a short or intermediate route guy. His other WRs have limitations. DD is a tiny target. McCulloch isn't explosive. Fields and Lee are raw.

He's throwing to a lot of guys who don't gain much separation (and sometimes run the wrong route). He's got a tough job this year.

That said... he's got to be better with ball security and he's got to take the next step to start leading in pressure situations.

The statistics do tell an important story, though.

Sefo doesn't have a playmaker at TE. He doesn't have a playmaker catching the ball out of the backfield. He's got one great WR who is mostly a short or intermediate route guy. His other WRs have limitations. DD is a tiny target. McCulloch isn't explosive. Fields and Lee are raw.

He's throwing to a lot of guys who don't gain much separation (and sometimes run the wrong route). He's got a tough job this year.

That said... he's got to be better with ball security and he's got to take the next step to start leading in pressure situations.

Agree with this. How much more comfortable would Sefo be if he had a big target he could count on being available to bail him out or make those key third down grabs.

Also despite the protestations of our Kool-aid lovers the OL has not given him any kind of confidence either. I see him hurry throws he doesn't have to simply because there are so many times he doesn't have time.

Yup, some guys have it. Some guys are just winners, gamers, whatever you want to call it. Period.

You see it in youth sports and you see it at the highest levels.

I've seen kids in youth soccer who have crap skills, but when it's game time, and especially clutch time in the game, they just find a way to score when others can't. Desire, determination...I don't know what it is, but it's there.

Understood. You can look at Anu Solomon...he's a RS soph and is a better QB than Sefo, again with more talent around him. Sefo is good, no doubt, but like people are saying he hasn't proven he is clutch and keeps making stupid mistakes...

Understood. You can look at Anu Solomon...he's a RS soph and is a better QB than Sefo, again with more talent around him. Sefo is good, no doubt, but like people are saying he hasn't proven he is clutch and keeps making stupid mistakes...

Anus a freshman.

It's not just the mistakes. He also doesn't even try to make the plays to win. Why would he run out of bounds with the game on the line only needing two yards? Take a freaking hit and get the first down. Frustrating to watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's pretty clear that

1 Sefo is the best QB right now for us

2 He is not the answer

Mac better bring some competitions this Spring or we not not going bowling next year.

It's not just the mistakes. He also doesn't even try to make the plays to win. Why would he run out of bounds with the game on the line only needing two yards? Take a freaking hit and get the first down. Frustrating to watch.

He doesn't try to make the plays to win? Seriously?

He doesn't try to make the plays to win? Seriously?

Did you watch the play? The game was on the line and he lazily ran out of bounds when he could have gotten a first down by running up field for two yards. A winner tries for the first down.

But this game is not all on Sefo. The team lost the game.

Did you watch the play? The game was on the line and he lazily ran out of bounds when he could have gotten a first down by running up field for two yards. A winner tries for the first down.

But this game is not all on Sefo. The team lost the game.

I would normally agree with you, but I'm putting about 95% on him. The QB is the most important position in all of sports, he chose to play this position, he thinks he is a winner...then he needs to prove it. He is obviously NOT a winner...if we had a QB with his talent who actually was a winner, we'd have at least 2 more wins, maybe more.

I am completely off any Sefo wagon. I'm sick of getting Sefo'ed.

I would normally agree with you, but I'm putting about 95% on him. The QB is the most important position in all of sports, he chose to play this position, he thinks he is a winner...then he needs to prove it. He is obviously NOT a winner...if we had a QB with his talent who actually was a winner, we'd have at least 2 more wins, maybe more.

I am completely off any Sefo wagon. I'm sick of getting Sefo'ed.

I'm not really sure our offense does him a whole lot of favors either. That short screen to fields was a ridiculous call. I just wish he would have showed some fire at least at the end of the game / end of the season to get this team a win. That was frustrating to watch.

Furthermore, the defense definitely doesn't do him any favors either.

Get off his dick. That was a pussy run out of bounds and awful freaking turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not saying it was a good play, but saying he doesn't try to make the plays to win is freaking absurd to claim

Back