What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am trying to be patient with Sefo

Okay, how about, "He CAN'T make the plays to win." He's not good and not mentally tough. A bad combo for a decent team. Lethal for a crappy team.

I'm not saying it was a good play, but saying he doesn't try to make the plays to win is freaking absurd to claim

I actually think his mental and physical toughness are his only assets. His QBing skills leave way too much to be desired.

Sefo does a lot of really good things which makes his :doh: plays all the more frustrating. If I'm an opposing coach, I tell my players to hit him every chance you get because, eventually, he will get flustered and screw up. And yeah, Sefo does not win games for us with a big play. But he's a sophomore with several inexperienced receivers. Someone will have to take it away from him because, like it or not, he'll be our starter next year barring something really unexpected. Frankly, I love the kid and am pulling for him.

Sefo does a lot of really good things which makes his :doh: plays all the more frustrating. If I'm an opposing coach, I tell my players to hit him every chance you get because, eventually, he will get flustered and screw up. And yeah, Sefo does not win games for us with a big play. But he's a sophomore with several inexperienced receivers. Someone will have to take it away from him because, like it or not, he'll be our starter next year barring something really unexpected. Frankly, I love the kid and am pulling for him.

Plenty of Sophs out there making plays. Plenty of them I'd rather have. Why can't we have nice things?

I'm not really sure our offense does him a whole lot of favors either. That short screen to fields was a ridiculous call. I just wish he would have showed some fire at least at the end of the game / end of the season to get this team a win. That was frustrating to watch.

Furthermore, the defense definitely doesn't do him any favors either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

agree. These negative yardage screens on second and long for a loss, every game..... It just gets old. It does.

Sefo is what he is. I no longer have hope he will get rid of the late game turtling he's been doing more and more often as the season has gone on. To get any better, this team needs to improve in otehr areas until Sefo takes a leap or is replaced/recruited over.

All I can say is this, if they plan on him being the guy, he needs to work with someone off-season. I just don't know if you can teach what he lacks, wouldn't hurt to try. Either way it should be open comp come spring.

Sefo is what he is. I no longer have hope he will get rid of the late game turtling he's been doing more and more often as the season has gone on. To get any better, this team needs to improve in otehr areas until Sefo takes a leap or is replaced/recruited over.
Sefo is good, but he isn't a winner. Anu Solomon is a winner. In order to get more wins, he needs help from the D because he's proven he can't win a game for us. Or someone like Anu steps up.

He gets the crap pounded out of him every game, and doesn't seem to get the protection from the officials that most QBs get. We score enough to win more games. He's not in the top half of the league, probably, but he's also not why we're 0 for the conference.

He is not young anymore, please stop using that excuse. Almost 20 starts in now.
Personally, I think he's skittish from the hits he's taken and falters under pressure a bit. But, hell, lots of otherwise good QB's do that.

Personally, I think he's skittish from the hits he's taken and falters under pressure a bit. But, hell, lots of otherwise good QB's do that.
That's fair. The "he is only a sophomore" line does not hold much weight though.

Qbs getting their ass kicked will make even great ones look like crap. My biggest problem is situational awareness, going through progression, that type of thing. Being the leader, you have to know when to make plays and when not to. It's not any different than being a point guard really.

Okay, how about, "He CAN'T make the plays to win." He's not good and not mentally tough. A bad combo for a decent team. Lethal for a crappy team.
If Sefo isn't mentally tough then I don't know who is. Kid has gotten rocked tons of times and gets right back up and doesn't get phased. Kid got benched and wasn't phased. Maybe he isn't very good, but he is mentally tough and leaves it all on the field every week.

Sefo had his problems today but I don't put this one on him. Yes the pick 6 was a huge play but it would have been nice had they thought about putting someone out there to block Orchard and keep Sefo from having to throw before he could make a read.

guys the offense scored 34 points today, Sefo managed to do that despite getting repeatedly not just hit but blasted.

Yes he does have to get better but he is far from the top of our problem list.

Before that pick 6 I was feeling alright about Sefo's game. Even after that, I thought he played well enough today. Until that run out of bounds. Holy hell that was terrible and inexcusable. Yes, he is the best we have right now. No one is arguing he isn't, but I wish we had targeted a high level juco QB this cycle.

I couldn't see and I probably don't want to, could he get the first with his feet? This week after week is ridiculous. Oh I forgot about the part where giving the other team free points when you can't afford to loses you games. I also seem to remember a game where he had 4 turnovers that cost us 28 points, we lost. Excuses are just like assholes, it has to stop.

Last edited:
Sefo had his problems today but I don't put this one on him. Yes the pick 6 was a huge play but it would have been nice had they thought about putting someone out there to block Orchard and keep Sefo from having to throw before he could make a read.

guys the offense scored 34 points today, Sefo managed to do that despite getting repeatedly not just hit but blasted.

Yes he does have to get better but he is far from the top of our problem list.
It was a HB screen, it was blocked fine. If Sefo completes the pass the RB gets a solid gain most likely. I have no idea what Sefo was thinking when he threw the pass yards behind the RB, but that pick 6 was 100% on Sefo, the blocking was how a screen should be ran. Only argument you could make is I believe they ran it to the short side of the field, but the play was open.

People bitching about Sefo going OB 2 yards shy of a first down need to remember that he used to fight for those yards and was getting hurt. The coaches have been pretty adamant that he not take the hits. Plus he's coming off a concussion. It was second and two after that. You HAVE to get a first down on 2nd & 2. And I, too, was kind of pissed he didn't try to get the first. But after thinking about it, am less critical.

People bitching about Sefo going OB 2 yards shy of a first down need to remember that he used to fight for those yards and was getting hurt. The coaches have been pretty adamant that he not take the hits. Plus he's coming off a concussion. It was second and two after that. You HAVE to get a first down on 2nd & 2. And I, too, was kind of pissed he didn't try to get the first. But after thinking about it, am less critical.

4th quarter in a close game has different rules.

I actually think his mental and physical toughness are his only assets. His QBing skills leave way too much to be desired.

Which makes the run out of bounds that more puzzling. He has taken a beating and keeps getting up, why he avoided that contact in that situation was characteristic of someone not understanding the situation. Your field leader MUST understand the situation, put the team on your back and do things to win. He has yet to demonstrate this trait.

I think it is easy to get down on Sefo due to the team losses, and justifiably so for some of the decision making, but it the kid exceeded all of our expectations this year (see over/under thread) by a wide margin.

I have heard others saying that Hansen was a better QB than Sefo and we would have won if we just had a guy like that this year. For comparison sake, here are the stats from TH's SENIOR YEAR vs. Sefo's SOPHMORE companion.

TH 2011: CMP% 56.1, YDS 2883, 20 TDS, 11 INTS, RTG 125.5,

SL 2014: CMP% 65%, YDS 3200, 28 TDS, 15 INTS, RTG 131.8

We closed the gap on the competition this year and Sefo was a huge reason why. I hope and expect that next year both Sefo and the team will both make a jump and we will come out on the winning side more often.

P.S. I would caution those who are asking for an experienced QB transfer to come in with three words...remember Jordan Webb?

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say Sefo is better than Gehrke. What I'll be curious to watch over the next 9 months or so is if Apsay can give him a run for his money. Sefo puts up a nice stat line, but his ability to win games is not there. Not sure if it was this thread or another one, but snow called it when he said Sefo is a great backup QB. Every team would be better with a Sefo on their team. The problem is he's a game manager that manages games poorly.

I have to imagine the staff will go with Sefo over anyone else given his experience and how important next year is for their futures, but if he continues to turtle in big moments and throw crucial picks, we could be looking at a new staff, again.

Back