What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am trying to be patient with Sefo

Accuracy has to be first and foremost when evaluating quarterbacks IMO.

The days of having a RB lining up behind center who can throw the ball 7-12 times a game on simple reads are over.

The game has changed and you have to have a QB who can competently make a variety of throws.

Having a guy who can both throw and run is a huge advantage but if you are going to compromise one of those I'd rather have a guy who is a quality passer and an adequete runner than a guy who is a quality runner and adequete passer.

With the kind of talent we play against in the PAC no matter how good the defense is there are going to be games that you have to be able to score a bunch of points and the rules are set up to do that through the air.

It's more of an example to show that just because a QB has some wheels doesn't mean it's going to benefit the offense, which seems to go against the grain for some who believe a running QB solves everything.

Maybe that's what CTF was talking about. Maybe not. Guess I don't care all that much. A running QB doesn't solve all the problems just like that.

I don't see where anyone ever made the claim that having a running qb solves all the problems, especially a running qb who can only run. They typically call those guys running backs. I'm saying that when making a choice in system/philosophy, I believe the choice that gives you the best chance to win, and sustain winning through loss of personnel to graduation, injury and/or nfl, is the running qb system.

The days of having a RB lining up behind center who can throw the ball 7-12 times a game on simple reads are over.

The game has changed and you have to have a QB who can competently make a variety of throws.

Having a guy who can both throw and run is a huge advantage but if you are going to compromise one of those I'd rather have a guy who is a quality passer and an adequete runner than a guy who is a quality runner and adequete passer.

With the kind of talent we play against in the PAC no matter how good the defense is there are going to be games that you have to be able to score a bunch of points and the rules are set up to do that through the air.

Stanford

Honestly, thinking about it, I cannot believe anyone would be questioning Sefo being our starter. The kid is pretty damned good. The turnover thing will take care of itself. I love this kid and the way he plays.

Honestly, thinking about it, I cannot believe anyone would be questioning Sefo being our starter. The kid is pretty damned good. The turnover thing will take care of itself. I love this kid and the way he plays.
I'm not questioning Sefo being the starter. I am questioning the depth at QB and the notion that the turnovers will magically disappear next season.

Not sure you can make that definitive last sentence there, Mtn.

I know what you are saying about Stanford and agree to an extent. They have had a lot of success without throwing the ball all over the place in recent years.

Remember though that this year they are 5-4. Gave up 45 to Oregon, 26 to Arizona State. The other two losses they gave up 17 and 13 but were not able to generate enough offense to win with.

In past years when they were highly ranked they didn't always use it but they had the ability to put points up through the air (having an Adrew Luck helps a lot in that department as well.)

Most of the teams in the PAC have at least some playmakers. Almost any game a team goes into, no matter how good their defense, it is not unexpected for the opponent to make a few big plays and put 20-30 points on the board or more. Your offense has to be able to respond and just running the ball doesn't do that.

Doesn't mean that you have to be able to ring up big points through the air every game but if you can't a couple of games a year are going to get you.

Yeah, he's pretty damn good. My only concern is what looks like lack of progress - INTs, dumb throws, holding on too long etc. I'm certainly no expert and am guessing BL and MM have a different take on it. I just want better outcomes...meaning Ws and no INTs.

My post had very little to do with Stanford actually. I don't view Pac-12 offenses as pass-first for the most part.

Sefo needs to show he can stop doing certain things that have happened with regularity over the last 8 games. staring down receivers on quick throws is probably the biggest one. Arizona was the first time he didn't do it (or get caught doing it) in a game for a while. So that's good. That said, he can't be forcing plays like that 2d INT.

My post had very little to do with Stanford actually. I don't view Pac-12 offenses as pass-first for the most part.

I would agree with you in that assessment. A lot of them are run based offenses including some of the most explosive like Oregon. At the same time very few of the PAC offenses don't include an element of big play potential through the passing game. They may set it up by running the ball, in certain games they may not even need to use it when they put up points running, but the better teams still can and do put up points quickly with the pass.

I'm not questioning Sefo being the starter. I am questioning the depth at QB and the notion that the turnovers will magically disappear next season.
There is certainly no evidence that turnovers will go away. I have to believe it, we have to believe it by some sort of "faith", I suppose. But I have to think that the game will get slower and slower for him. That he'll develop a better sense of recognition and calmness that comes with maturity. Kind of like me.

What kind of athlete is Apsay?
I really like Apsay as a prospect. I just think he needs 1-2 more years. He is athletic in a sense that he can make things happen with his legs. Not a true burner by any means, but can get you yards in that department. I really liked his h.s. film and have seen him in a few scrimmages. He seems to be very accurate and actually had a bigger arm than I thought when I saw him in the last scrimmage. He is very slight and will need time to bulk up a little, but you can see he has mechanics that you can work with. He is about 6'2 and probably around 180#, so won't be a huge QB by any means. I'm no QB guru, but I think he has the tools to be a decent to good dual threat. Nothing program changing though.

The big question will be what he has between his ears and if he can gain the size you need to be a Read Option QB. This offense seems to be designed for a read option QB so will see what happens.

Last edited:
Sefo being no threat to run, gives the defense an advantage, they can cheat more on the pass and rush upfield without consequence. Now, Sefo can be more efficient at moving within the pocket or sliding out to extend plays, but he's not a guy who can consistently get a 1st down when things break down.

Collin+Klein+ha9-kdnJOg-m.jpg
Nice outlier

Not sure you can make that definitive last sentence there, Mtn.

Duff the offense's in college football today are already teed up to pass because the receivers are granted the advantage. Today's officiating demonstrates such a bias to me (all conferences but the Pac 12 especially) in favor of the receiver. We fans have learned to instantly call a penalty now when there is not a look back, or there is any contact down field (Being a successful D back these days is such a tough job).

To keep pace, Conference/college teams must have a fully evolved capability to pass or you will not compete with the teams that can heave it in the Pac (which is most everyone). Pac officiating just seems to really favor the WR, "if they can call it they will".

Frustrating for me as I love a great run attack and remember many great teams where the run just set up the eventual pass. I think our ground game will be set up by a talented QB who can heave it, demonstrate play action capability, and short yardage situations. I do still believe there can and should be balance, but we will need a QB with a gun in order to challenge the upper third in conference eventually.

Hoping Sefo gets more help around him and settles in next year. There remains potential success with Sefo and we need him to get to the next level.

Last edited:
Eggon, the successful teams in this conference run the ball well. There are exceptions, but I think you would be surprised with the numbers.

I don't know about that. I've seen a lot of guys who just throw a lot of pics, even very talented guys, even as they mature.

Eggon, the successful teams in this conference run the ball well. There are exceptions, but I think you would be surprised with the numbers.

I will take a look at the yardage differential in Pac, probably will surprise me. We can certainly agree that our running game must also be solid.

Seems like just when we address one issue, another pops up. If our defense was more stout, I would not be so freaked out about scoring capability. :lol:

Just maybe both will improve next year. Maybe even for Utah game if we all get a little reprieve....

sefo can be a threat from the pocket to run if he just becomes more decisive as to just taking off...not sure he will ever be that big a threat in a zone read run

Well, Gehrke will get his chance in the last two games. I hope it provides a spark for the Buffs.

Yeah, he's pretty damn good. My only concern is what looks like lack of progress - INTs, dumb throws, holding on too long etc. I'm certainly no expert and am guessing BL and MM have a different take on it. I just want better outcomes...meaning Ws and no INTs.

Everybody says the line is good now, but he still is running for his life and throwing the ball quicker than he should in most cases. And when he thinks he has enough time, he usually gets hit or the ball knocked out. The OL still needs to improve quite a bit in pass blocking for Sefo, and those INT's and fumbles will go down. Now he also needs to learn to look off the defense, read through WR progressions (this also is hard since he doesn't have much time) and while he does good throwing the ball away, there are times to tuck and take a sack over chancing an INT or giving up a fumble.

So many games this year where one or two less turnovers means a CU win. Yes, enough to be bowling right now, even without a possible win over Utah. CSU, Cal, OSU, and UCLA. Bowl game. All winnable.

Of course, the D was devastated and thinner than my resume in high school, but even with that glaring weakness, just one less INT or fumble when we were deep in our own endzone that lead to a easy 7 per game would have changed this season in a huge manner.

If the OL gets better at pass protection, Sefo is one turnover per game better than this year, and the D gets healthy and a bit bigger and stronger, there are good things ahead for us next year.

There is certainly no evidence that turnovers will go away. I have to believe it, we have to believe it by some sort of "faith", I suppose. But I have to think that the game will get slower and slower for him. That he'll develop a better sense of recognition and calmness that comes with maturity. Kind of like me.

I have seen your posts in the Rockies threads, and what you just wrote did NOT give me any good feelings.

Garrett Gilbert, Chris Simms, Jake Heaps, Ben Olson, Dayne Crist, probably a few of the usc quaterbacks recently....just off the top of my head...all were mega superstar five star recruits coming out of high school
Well...umm....uh....but they were mega superstar five star recruits! Sefo isn't. So there!!

Listen, I'm sure there are many. But I'd be willing to bet there are many more that improved as they matured.

Well...umm....uh....but they were mega superstar five star recruits! Sefo isn't. So there!!

Listen, I'm sure there are many. But I'd be willing to bet there are many more that improved as they matured.

Bret Favre

Back