What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

I am trying to be patient with Sefo

Some of that is having to come from behind.

Our pass to throw ratio is ~1.25:1. We are averaging 50 yds more rushing per game. Our running game is effective enough to keep defenses honest. Would probably be more effective if MAII ran the ball more too.

Wow, I never would have thought we'd be second in the nation in passing attempts to Washington St. The whole "run / pass 50/50 balance" was bull****.

We are currently running a 44% run to 56% pass split on the year. I think our offense is really well designed (especially coming from where it's been), but staying balanced is really important. When we were running the ball against UW we were having success, it felt to me like we got a little 'bubble screen' happy in the 2nd half (ala short passes to replace run attempts).

I have to agree with you on this. I think our offense is far more effective when we have a 50/50 run/pass split versus a 40/60 run/pass split. Sefo has some mobility and has the read option has worked. I think that style of football is more conducive for a team in rebuilding because you aren't relying on athleticism alone - it's more about scheme and situation match-ups. I really appreciate the dynamic offense we have, and not sure we'd need to blow anything up. Just need to stay committed to being balanced.

I'd like to see a QB who is more of a real/explosive running threat. I think those guys are a dime a dozen coming out of high school. I think it's very hard to find and train a guy, at the amateur level, who can make all the right reads, deliver the ball to the right guy accurately at the right time. That's damn hard.

Consider the Auburn QB, Vince Young, some of the Oregon qbs in the past few years before MM, or Rich Rod's qbs at WVU and Zona.... They make good passes in college, but to WIDE FREAKING OPEN receivers. Why are they wide open? Because the defense must account for the running QB. Nasty O-line and a running QB....that's the foundation in my opinion. There are countless skill position players who are fast and athletic. The biggest and the fastest go to the big dog schools, but the depth in that skill position pool is so deep you can find really effective players at "lesser" schools.

Some of that is having to come from behind.

Our pass to throw ratio is ~1.25:1. We are averaging 50 yds more rushing per game. Our running game is effective enough to keep defenses honest. Would probably be more effective if MAII ran the ball more too.

I think at more telling stat is that of the 120 or so division one teams only one quarterback has more attempted passes. That's fairly extreme.

I'd like to see a QB who is more of a real/explosive running threat. I think those guys are a dime a dozen coming out of high school. I think it's very hard to find and train a guy, at the amateur level, who can make all the right reads, deliver the ball to the right guy accurately at the right time. That's damn hard.

Consider the Auburn QB, Vince Young, some of the Oregon qbs in the past few years before MM, or Rich Rod's qbs at WVU and Zona.... They make good passes in college, but to WIDE FREAKING OPEN receivers. Why are they wide open? Because the defense must account for the running QB. Nasty O-line and a running QB....that's the foundation in my opinion. There are countless skill position players who are fast and athletic. The biggest and the fastest go to the big dog schools, but the depth in that skill position pool is so deep you can find really effective players at "lesser" schools.

I gotta admit, I am still a little shell-shocked from the BJax experiment. That was a terrible offense to watch.

I gotta admit, I am still a little shell-shocked from the BJax experiment. That was a terrible offense to watch.

Yup! For every Vince Young there are 10 'running QBs' who struggle to run a consistent offense. Inaccurate throws kill drives, and a guy who can't read a defense makes a ton of mistakes. You need a guy who COULD run, not one who HAS to run.

I think at more telling stat is that of the 120 or so division one teams only one quarterback has more attempted passes. That's fairly extreme.
That is a telling stat. Part of it is coming from behind (broken record) and another part is the style of offense. We aren't a quick strike team...Sefo throws lots of shorter passess and we run a lot plays...we are #1 with 796 total plays.

We are 6th in total INTs, but 67th in INTs per attempt. Not great, and we're certainly not good enough to overcome stupid throws, but Sefo's not as bad total INTs would indicate.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category02/sort09.html

That's kind of my point, when you throw that much, unless you're really good, you're likely going to throw a lot of interceptions in an absolute sense, which is all that matters. Lots of turnovers are not highly correlated with winning football games.

The interceptions are killers.

Yup! For every Vince Young there are 10 'running QBs' who struggle to run a consistent offense. Inaccurate throws kill drives, and a guy who can't read a defense makes a ton of mistakes. You need a guy who COULD run, not one who HAS to run.

Agreed. But I think the pool of guys who are good enough to make the simple passes--one or two read type offense--and still have the athleticism to make explosive plays with their feet is much bigger than the pool of guys who are exceptional at making the right reads and trying to do more complex things throwing the ball...in addition to having the arm strength to pull it off. Maybe in the pros where you have the time during the year to dedicate to practice and film review and the years of experience on the same team. In the college game you typically average 2 to 2.5 years with your starter, at best. Compare that to the pros.

That is a telling stat. Part of it is coming from behind (broken record) and another part is the style of offense. We aren't a quick strike team...Sefo throws lots of shorter passess and we run a lot plays...we are #1 with 796 total plays.

does anyone have any defensive stats like average drive time, or yards per play. Is part of the reason we run so many offensive plays is because our defense is so bad?

Agreed. But I think the pool of guys who are good enough to make the simple passes--one or two read type offense--and still have the athleticism to make explosive plays with their feet is much bigger than the pool of guys who are exceptional at making the right reads and trying to do more complex things throwing the ball...in addition to having the arm strength to pull it off. Maybe in the pros where you have the time during the year to dedicate to practice and film review and the years of experience on the same team. In the college game you typically average 2 to 2.5 years with your starter, at best. Compare that to the pros.

So if we get a guy like this does it change our whole offensive philosophy? How hard is it to practice with a pocket passer and then bring in a running qb and practice an offense?

There are certain teams that seem to pull the rabbit out of the hat every year. Have you ever heard of KSU's quarterbacks before they were kicking butt at KSU? Have you heard from them after they graduate? How about the Oregon quarterbacks before MM? How about the WVU quarterbacks? How about these last three arizona quarterbacks? If you have the right system I believe you can plug and play.

So if we get a guy like this does it change our whole offensive philosophy? How hard is it to practice with a pocket passer and then bring in a running qb and practice an offense?

Yes, of course. My overarching point is that you have to pick a system and then stick with it and get good at it. You recruit to it, teach it year after year and when guys are ready to hit the field they know what they're doing. Doesn't matter if it's Oregon style or Alabama style. Master the details over time and endless repetition. That's the foundation of anything good, right?

There is nothing worse than frequently changing offensive systems and not recruiting the right players to play in the chosen system.

does anyone have any defensive stats like average drive time, or yards per play. Is part of the reason we run so many offensive plays is because our defense is so bad?
We are 121st in yds allowed/play. Yeah, we aren't good.

There are certain teams that seem to pull the rabbit out of the hat every year. Have you ever heard of KSU's quarterbacks before they were kicking butt at KSU? Have you heard from them after they graduate? How about the Oregon quarterbacks before MM? How about the WVU quarterbacks? How about these last three arizona quarterbacks? If you have the right system I believe you can plug and play.

Think that is where the balance comes into play. If we were more balanced in run/pass the offense would be having more success. Jake Waters is a decent runner, but he is not Pat White / Vince Young. Sefo probably isn't the ideal prototype, but truly think some of the problems would be minimized with balance. Curious on Jaleel Awini next year and Apsay and if they push Sefo.

Don't have the stats but you are probably on to something. It seems that we have had a lot of fast scores against us this year. Big plays gobbling up yardage, short drives due to lousy special teams, turn-overs.

Pass/run ratio is also impacted by the number of pass plays we call that are actually running type plays like the constant bubble screens.

We also spend a lot of time behind and trying to catch up resulting in more pass attempts.

Don't have the stats but you are probably on to something. It seems that we have had a lot of fast scores against us this year. Big plays gobbling up yardage, short drives due to lousy special teams, turn-overs.

Pass/run ratio is also impacted by the number of pass plays we call that are actually running type plays like the constant bubble screens.

We also spend a lot of time behind and trying to catch up resulting in more pass attempts.

You don't get to be #2 in pass attempts out of 120 teams due to reasons mentioned above. Those are contributing factors, but not the main factors. Second only to a Mike Leach team in attempts.

I think it's pretty pathetic to be dogging Sefo. He didn't even play a bad game, 72% completion. Sure, he had two picks, but he had NO protection.

This guy is a legit power conference starter and he's a sophomore. If we keep surrounding him with weapons in the receiving game and give him some protection then he's an NFL prospect in a couple years.

I think it's pretty pathetic to be dogging Sefo. He didn't even play a bad game, 72% completion. Sure, he had two picks, but he had NO protection.

This guy is a legit power conference starter and he's a sophomore. If we keep surrounding him with weapons in the receiving game and give him some protection then he's an NFL prospect in a couple years.
none of the INT's were on the line, just poor throws, as for the 2 fumbles, 1st one you could argue wasnt his fault(however he held onto the ball for way too long) and the other one was completely on him

Back