What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

If the Big Ten offered CU, would you want to switch?

If offered, should CU join the Big Ten?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
i would move to the big ten in a heart beat...more $$$$, more hype, more exposure, more passion from fan bases, and better tv coverage...... i dont think it would hurt recruiting at all as a matter of fact boulder would be the sunny warm weather destination for recruits in the big ten

The P5 conference which coincides geographically with the highest populations in the US, which has 2/3 of the recent men's basketball champs as well as the defending football MNC, is viewed as "pointless" to at least one poster here. Uh, ok.

r_860868_QW7B5.gif

The P5 conference which coincides geographically with the highest populations in the US, which has 2/3 of the recent men's basketball champs as well as the defending football MNC, is viewed as "pointless" to at least one poster here. Uh, ok.
I feel as though you missed my point.

I am not in favor of the B1G but I am in favor of replacing Larry Scott. The TV deal is abysmal. Not being on DirecTV is his massive failure.
I really don't want Scott running the Pac-12 leading into the next media negotiations for the 2024 tv rights. Pac-12 needs to start restructuring now to position itself. How the conference works with ESPN and FoxSports now is a big deal regarding game times and matchups. Re-imagining PACN to increase exposure and popularity of the Pac-12 is a huge deal now in order to maximize value of national rights in 2024. There are some major issues to address on revenue sharing structure, regional PACN channels, distribution, and conference expansion possibilities that must be addressed. I don't believe that Scott is the guy to lead on this.

I miss the Big 12. It was a middle ground between mini-van and BMW. Had some nice rivalries like Nebraska, some big football schools & contenders like Texas & Oklahoma, a few kick-around schools that were reliably beatable (we don't need to talk about the times we didn't)....

It wasn't flashy, but it was comfortable. Pac-12 is better for recruiting CA & TX, but other than just wishing ill upon USC & Stanford (and some historical acrimony against Washington & Rick Neuheisel), I don't feel like we've got much of a stake in it. I just compare how I felt when we beat Texas to how it would (IN THEORY) feel if we beat Washington or something. Sigh....the good ol' days.
I miss the Big 8, **** the Big 12 dry with a Godzilla sized dildo.

I would. I’m not a big fan of the PAC. Game start times are awful, very difficult to see games and I still just don’t care about any of the PAC teams. There just doesn’t seem to be much passion in the PAC (which I suppose makes CU a good fit, but I still don’t like it).
The PAC certainly doesn't have the rabid passion that some SEC, Big XII and a couple B1G teams have, but I think some teams do have some pretty passionate fans (Utah, Oregon, Washington in particular). But hell, I think a lot of it comes down to that when our teams suck, PAC fans have a lot of options in life that B1G fans don't - mountains, oceans, etc.

I have to admit that although I much prefer the Pac-12 to the old Big 12, I miss feeling so much hate every Saturday.
I do miss the hate, but there wasn't really anyone in the Big XII I truly hated other than Nebraska. If we made that a common OOC game, then CU's future schedules would be perfect as far as I'm concerned.

No. Colorado always fit the PAC12. Never belonged in the B12. Never will belong in the BIG.

I really don't want Scott running the Pac-12 leading into the next media negotiations for the 2024 tv rights. Pac-12 needs to start restructuring now to position itself. How the conference works with ESPN and FoxSports now is a big deal regarding game times and matchups. Re-imagining PACN to increase exposure and popularity of the Pac-12 is a huge deal now in order to maximize value of national rights in 2024. There are some major issues to address on revenue sharing structure, regional PACN channels, distribution, and conference expansion possibilities that must be addressed. I don't believe that Scott is the guy to lead on this.
The opinion on Scott really has changed it seems and relatively quickly.

The opinion on Scott really has changed it seems and relatively quickly.
There was definitely a honeymoon period where he'd expanded the Pac and signed the conference to a media deal that was a record at the time while launching a network with 100% ownership.

The real problem we've run into is that the structure of the network and its content focus were not designed to maximize revenue. Rather, they were designed to maximize the amount of broadcasted content of the Pac-12's non revenue sports to promote the "Conference of Champions".

Sorry, but while we all think that it's great that the Pac-12 wins a lot of national titles in sports like Water Polo there are only a few hundred people who are interested in watching a match.

No. Colorado always fit the PAC12. Never belonged in the B12. Never will belong in the BIG.

IMO that's why this is an interesting topic. Strictly geographically, we don't truly belong in any of those 3 conferences. The only league in our area is the er.....MW. Ugh.

There was definitely a honeymoon period where he'd expanded the Pac and signed the conference to a media deal that was a record at the time while launching a network with 100% ownership.

The real problem we've run into is that the structure of the network and its content focus were not designed to maximize revenue. Rather, they were designed to maximize the amount of broadcasted content of the Pac-12's non revenue sports to promote the "Conference of Champions".

Sorry, but while we all think that it's great that the Pac-12 wins a lot of national titles in sports like Water Polo there are only a few hundred people who are interested in watching a match.

The high number of live events they broadcast is a contractual obligation with their cable partners when they agreed to carry the channel. That, and the Asia market they are chasing, is why they broadcast so many olympic sports events.

Id rather they cut back by eliminating sideline reporters and drastically cutting back on the studio shows with the ex coaches and ex jocks saying nothing of any interest whatsovever. Nobody is going to miss nick alliota or curtis conway yukking it up before the oregon state-cu game.

Of course, if theyd been smart, they could have done the pac 12 channel as a stand alone streaming service, starting out with with football and basketball, and dispensed with olympic sports and studio shows both until the asia audience matured and they had more cable/satellite carriers on board on better terms.

He overplayed his initial hand with dtv, and has remained too stubborn to even admit he made a mistake. He's gone full on tilt with stupid decisions ever since.
I would have a hard time disagreeing with this post. I will add though, the University Presidents have culpability, too. They were all in on showcasing the Olympic Sports and didn't seem to really care for any other ideas.

I believe Scott will have to go and the Pac 12 network significantly reconfigured before the next rounds of negotiations - particularly in light of the revenue impacts of cord cutting (as BuffNik stated). ESPN is a shadow of its former self at this point trying to stay in the black. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pac 12 staying flat wasn't a good outcome for the next round while some of the bloated others end up receiving less.

Oh - and **** no to the Big 10.

Last edited:
Annual games with Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin would be nice and even maybe OU if they joined too but the Pac-12 destinations are pretty awesome as well. I think the obvious first choice for CU would be to remain in the Pac-12 with some Texas teams added but the Big-10 wouldn't be a terrible second option.

Two fixable issues for the Pac-12 would be the start times and streaming platforms:

Start Times

If the Pac-12 will not budge on start times, then why bother expanding to the Mountain Time Zone with Utah & CU in the first place? I have told other P12 fans that the conference should use CU and Utah to their benefit when it comes to start times which hasn't happened. I have no problems with early 10AM-noon starts...who cares about those 9AM starts for the other Pac-12 teams on the left coast? We can be known for breakfast tailgating especially breakfast burritos...Conference of Champions and Breakfast of Champions. ;) Also I'm sure I'm not the only CU fan who prefers to watch day games at Folsom Field than night games at Folsom Field.

Instead of moving to the B1G, it's time to reconsider OU, OSU, UT, and TT to the PAC. Remember those rumors of the AZ schools wanting to go to the Big 12? It's possible one of the AZ schools was floating that idea to see how the AZ schools would respond to being placed in a division with the TX and OK schools. From talking with Ute fans on Pac12Board, it sounds like they would be open to playing those four Big 12 schools as well. I believe that both AZ schools and Utah are more natural rivalries for CU so we would still have a lot to gain. The B1G will take Kansas one way or the other...heck they might as well take Iowa State as well. The Mountain schools (UA, ASU, CU, UU) would play the California schools only on a rotating basis while the TX/OK schools would play the NW schools in that same light unless we increase the number of conference games and I believe 11 would be the best number in that case.

The real treat of that expansion would be in basketball. ;) We would still be able to play all the left coast schools in basketball and other sports.

Given that we would not be playing the NW schools in football (until the 11 game conference schedule is realized), the Pac-12 could have bowl games in like Las Vegas. The same for California vs Texas schools. How that works out will remain to be seen.

Streaming Platforms

Larry Scott needs to get his stuff together or get fired. Dan Beebe looks like a better commissioner at this point.

What I am proposing might be a no brainer. Some Pac-12 schools live and die by their Olympic sports. What I am proposing is this:

Pac-12 schools can have their own third tier deals for their Olympic sports...that way Pac-12 schools can recoup costs for running those non-revenue sports. Football, maybe volleyball, basketball, and baseball would be equal revenue sharing on the Pac-12 Network. I think the Pac-12 is stuck with the structure of the media rights deal signed back in 2011 that we'll have to wait until the next media rights deal to have it more to our liking. And Texas would be able to keep the Longhorn Network as well.

I actually miss the Big 8 much more than when it expanded to 12. The teams in the Big 8 that I really miss are NU, OU, OSU, Missou. Did not mind the trips to Kansas or Iowa either. Was a fun conference.

Academically any conference that contains Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin and Ohio State is equal to the PAC12.
This isn't really a good argument. No other P5 conference can really match what the Pac-12 offers at the top with Stanford, Cal, UCLA and USC. The thing that makes the Big-10 so good academically is the depth. The conference has 12 universities in the top 100 (mostly from 50-100) while the Pac-12 has basically 7 if you want to include Oregon at 103.

i would move to the big ten in a heart beat...more $$$$, more hype, more exposure, more passion from fan bases, and better tv coverage...... i dont think it would hurt recruiting at all as a matter of fact boulder would be the sunny warm weather destination for recruits in the big ten

If we could schedule the likes of San Jose State and San Diego State in OOC play consistently, I'm for it since those Pac-12 schools would not schedule us if we ditched that conference.

This isn't really a good argument. No other P5 conference can really match what the Pac-12 offers at the top with Stanford, Cal, UCLA and USC. The thing that makes the Big-10 so good academically is the depth. The conference has 12 universities in the top 100 (mostly from 50-100) while the Pac-12 has basically 7 if you want to include Oregon at 103.
Let's be honest, conference affiliation is 99% about money and athletics. Nothing that I'm aware of prohibits CU from collaborating with Northwestern, Michigan, etc today if we wanted to so do academics really matter in these discussions as far as CU goes?

If we could schedule the likes of San Jose State and San Diego State in OOC play consistently, I'm for it since those Pac-12 schools would not schedule us if we ditched that conference.

When you're in the B1G you can schedule Toledo (basically SDSU) and Ball State (SJS) as subs. Presto Change O. MAC = MW

College football is all about the money.

While the Pac is a better fit I don't see how you could pass up $20 million extra dollars a season.
Again, what makes anyone think we'd get an extra $20M? Do the BIG's media contracts provide for automatic increases for adding members? Remember all those Pac12 expansion discussions that people hated because adding certain schools wouldn't be accretive to the conference? Same goes for CU in the BIG.

Back