What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

John Henderson retiring

The job of the writer is too sell papers and they have to have an interesting angle to do that. In these days of reality TV, it is obvious that people like controversy and negativism. Plati does effectively interface with the local media including contacting them with the CU point of view when negative things are published, he also tries to get them human interest angles on players and coaches. The fact is CU is only going to get so many column inches and the sports pages are shrinking. Look at the Daily Camera from several years ago...they had a sports department now they have a couple of writers.

I expect writing about CU in the Newspapers to get more sparse.

I know he does some things really well, .0001% well - but Dave leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to being the head SID at an aspiring dynamic and modern institution like Colorado. Dave interfaces fairly well with old media contacts but he treats all but the most established media types with little more than contempt. He openly hates the internet and often tries to counter negative press about CU with brute force - that was once a hand well played but as you are apt to point out we are not so relevant any more.

The other thing that is lost on Dave is that he is a public personality; he doesnt get to be: thin-skinned, petty, publicly vocal about his opinions regarding controversial points nor is it acceptable for him to be derisive of fans over social media. To be rather blunt - he has next to no understanding of how new media works. Some one (RG) would do well to put a muzzle on the guy's digital persona.

uru2udu9.jpg

Henderson could be good when he wanted to be (e.g., the UNLV stories). Never felt like his heart was in it here, though. Probably hard to stay all that motivated in a dying industry. He too often took the lazy shortcut to the inflammatory stuff in order to get a rise out of people, but rarely did we see him doing the legwork to do much in-depth reporting. Heck, he didn't even show up in Boulder as much as you'd expect from someone covering a beat. It really seemed like he didn't really want to cover CU all that much and that it was a temporary assignment as he played out the string toward this early retirement.

fwiw, I think the twitter stuff is funny. To me, it shows how good he could have been. Too bad that instead of bull****ting about how we didn't like him because he told it like it is... that he didn't actually tell it like it is and blast the CU administrators, directors and coaches who mismanaged this thing into the worst football program in BCS football by 2012. That's the type of kick in the ass from local media that these folks needed since about 1992 or so when Mac1 started to realize that CU wasn't going to be taking its football seriously enough. I wish that Henderson had cared enough to have been that voice in recent years instead of falling back on sarcasm and cheap jokes. What a waste.

Henderson could be good when he wanted to be (e.g., the UNLV stories). Never felt like his heart was in it here, though. Probably hard to stay all that motivated in a dying industry. He too often took the lazy shortcut to the inflammatory stuff in order to get a rise out of people, but rarely did we see him doing the legwork to do much in-depth reporting. Heck, he didn't even show up in Boulder as much as you'd expect from someone covering a beat. It really seemed like he didn't really want to cover CU all that much and that it was a temporary assignment as he played out the string toward this early retirement.

fwiw, I think the twitter stuff is funny. To me, it shows how good he could have been. Too bad that instead of bull****ting about how we didn't like him because he told it like it is... that he didn't actually tell it like it is and blast the CU administrators, directors and coaches who mismanaged this thing into the worst football program in BCS football by 2012. That's the type of kick in the ass from local media that these folks needed since about 1992 or so when Mac1 started to realize that CU wasn't going to be taking its football seriously enough. I wish that Henderson had cared enough to have been that voice in recent years instead of falling back on sarcasm and cheap jokes. What a waste.

Ha! One OTHER thing to Duff's question. He's the CU beat writer. He doesn't just have to write about football. He is supposed to write about CU athletics. There should be enough there, alone, to have a twice per week CU section.

:rofl: They won't print those stories. Sorry. No one but a few of us will read them.

Just because your the CU beat reporter doesn't mean you do what you want. You cover the stories the sports editor assigns you because he has a space for it. Sure, you can bring stories to the table. In the old days when the news hole (percentage of the paper dedicated to stories) was larger they could work it in during the week. Today, that era is gone and i suspect if its not blue and orange than its not news worthy in Denver (would you want your ads next to a CU story or a broncos story?). The editors are going to run the most newsworthy stories for that day that will have an actual audience. For example, Colorado is a huge cycling town; does the post give daily coverage to their Super Bowl, the Tour de France? I dont think they do. All Being the CU beat reporter means is if there is a CU story that day, than Henderson covers it. He likely covered other sports too but you all just didnt notice.

I didn't read the man so I personally will pass on wether he was this or that. I'm also not privy to the forces at work inside the post that shaped the assignments, writing style, and what was cut and what was not. The physical paper has limitations that the web does not.

And then there is the fact that they own The Camera, the paper that has carved out this space for themselves, and they don't want to steal from themselves. If you want to read about CU 24/7 then subscribe to The Camera. Does the post print stories from the camera?

Last edited:
:rofl: They won't print those stories. Sorry. No one but a few of us will read them.

Just because your the CU beat reporter doesn't mean you do what you want. You cover the stories the sports editor assigns you because he has a space for it. Sure, you can bring stories to the table. In the old days when the news hole (percentage of the paper dedicated to stories) was larger they could work it in during the week. Today, that era is gone and i suspect if its not blue and orange than its not news worthy in Denver (would you want your ads next to a CU story or a broncos story?). The editors are going to run the most newsworthy stories for that day that will have an actual audience. For example, Colorado is a huge cycling town; does the post give daily coverage to their Super Bowl, the Tour de France? I dont think they do. All Being the CU beat reporter means is if there is a CU story that day, than Henderson covers it. He likely covered other sports too but you all just didnt notice.

I didn't read the man so I personally will pass on wether he was this or that. I'm also not privy to the forces at work inside the post that shaped the assignments, writing style, and what was cut and what was not. The physical paper has limitations that the web does not.

And then there is the fact that they own The Camera, the paper that has carved out this space for themselves, and they don't want to steal from themselves. If you want to read about CU 24/7 then subscribe to The Camera. Does the post print stories from the camera?

The same company that owns the Post and Camera also own the Longmont Times Call and the Loveland Reporter Herald. They all share stories back and forth. In the Longmont paper the articles about the Broncos come from the Post, the Buffs from the Camera, and CSU from the Loveland paper.

I know he does some things really well, .0001% well - but Dave leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to being the head SID at an aspiring dynamic and modern institution like Colorado. Dave interfaces fairly well with old media contacts but he treats all but the most established media types with little more than contempt. He openly hates the internet and often tries to counter negative press about CU with brute force - that was once a hand well played but as you are apt to point out we are not so relevant any more.

The other thing that is lost on Dave is that he is a public personality; he doesnt get to be: thin-skinned, petty, publicly vocal about his opinions regarding controversial points nor is it acceptable for him to be derisive of fans over social media. To be rather blunt - he has next to no understanding of how new media works. Some one (RG) would do well to put a muzzle on the guy's digital persona.
Truth.

[tweet]416937317614358529[/tweet]

After the fiasco tweeting from the Olympics (saying he was horny just after writing a blog post about teenage gymnasts) I thought that he vowed to control himself on Twitter. Perhaps his impulses are just a force of nature that cannot be controlled.

Wow, such a professional. The living embodiment of wanting to dish it out but can't take it.

I think it's funny that he mentions calling Plati. Just a hunch, but I'm guessing they hendo isn't on Plati's Christmas card list.

After the fiasco tweeting from the Olympics (saying he was horny just after writing a blog post about teenage gymnasts) I thought that he vowed to control himself on Twitter. Perhaps his impulses are just a force of nature that cannot be controlled.
I just assumed he'd been drinking. This is fantastic!

He had to ask Plati!

BwaaaahahahahhhjAAAAAAA! Cough, spit, choke...

Oh My God. That made my freaking day.

I can only imagine what Plati's response was. Probably something like "20 jerks who think they own the Internet"

Oh, Lordy. That's precious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's funny that he mentions calling Plati. Just a hunch, but I'm guessing they hendo isn't on Plati's Christmas card list.

I think Plati hates us more than Hendo. One of these days, Plati will realize we're all on the same side, and jagoffs like Hendo are not. Or maybe he won't. It's not like he hasn't had plenty of time to figure that one out. The folks that pay his salary (fans, ticket holders, students) are to be tolerated up until the point where they become annoying, then they're to be ridiculed, hassled and if possible, completely ignored. Meanwhile, douchecanoes like Hendo who do everything they can to bury the program are his friends.

[tweet]416937317614358529[/tweet]
:rofl: The journalistic equivalent of "I know you are but what am I?" The difference is we are a bunch of anonymous posters, just spouting off on a message board. Nobody takes us seriously, and speaking for myself, I don't expect to be taken seriously. Mr. High and Mighty Newsrag man actually expects to be taken seriously (except on some, ahem, questionable tweets). The problem is, I really doubt anything he writes is any better, quality-wise, than much of the stuff you find here. Pitiful. I actually feel sorry for him.

Back