What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Las Vegas Bowl is ending MWC partnership after 2019

Is that just because the city pays so much for it? Doesn't seem like it has very interesting matchups or high attendance.
Bowl's been around a long ass time and it is the big event in El Paso every year. I'm sure that the city and civic leaders make a big commitment to it and make it great for the teams. P12 vs ACC is a good matchup. I think the only real problem here is that fans aren't enthusiastic about a road trip to El Paso.

Bowl's been around a long ass time and it is the big event in El Paso every year. I'm sure that the city and civic leaders make a big commitment to it and make it great for the teams. P12 vs ACC is a good matchup. I think the only real problem here is that fans aren't enthusiastic about a road trip to El Paso.

Also a long-time broadcast agreement with CBS.

Also a long-time broadcast agreement with CBS.

It used to be slightly more appealing when Juarez was a fun place to visit. Now with the crime situation people are afraid to go there and the ones who do don't want to stick around for the evening. Instead they now get the occasional bullet fly across the border into El Paso.

Think though that the bowl still gets decent TV ratings and as long as that is happening it will pay well.

Initial six-year contract with Las Vegas Bowl will feature SEC three years and Big Ten three years.

Holiday Bowl switching to Pac-12 vs. ACC.

The new Los Angeles Bowl at the new Rams stadium will replace the Las Vegas Bowl's Pac-12 vs. MWC matchup.

Initial six-year contract with Las Vegas Bowl will feature SEC three years and Big Ten three years.

The new Los Angeles Bowl at the new Rams stadium will replace the Las Vegas Bowl's Pac-12 vs. MWC matchup.

Good news on the Pac-12 prestige front? I'm not accustomed to that.

It will be interesting to see what happens in San Diego with the stadium situation. The Holiday Bowl has always been a great game and has good tradition but it could be in real danger in the coming years.

It will be interesting to see what happens in San Diego with the stadium situation. The Holiday Bowl has always been a great game and has good tradition but it could be in real danger in the coming years.
As long as it isn't condemed it will live on, it may lose prestige, but there are plenty of bowl gabes played in dunno stadiums and stadiums that don't have pro teams in them. Is SDSU still playing there or are they going to build? That's something to keep an eye on with the game too.

MWC is the big loser here. The Holiday Bowl was always their big thing.

As long as it isn't condemed it will live on, it may lose prestige, but there are plenty of bowl gabes played in dunno stadiums and stadiums that don't have pro teams in them. Is SDSU still playing there or are they going to build? That's something to keep an eye on with the game too.

SDSU is building a new stadium.

Just for them. The voters passed that initiative and turned down the multi-use soccer stadium option.
I think they'll have the San Diego AAF football team playing there in the spring.

With that, the Holiday Bowl and other events I'd think that this will be a successful stadium.

I think all of this is good-playing an opponent out of a league that doesn't recruit California that often makes the Holiday Bowl that much more appealing to me. I thought the Vegas Bowl would have the first non NY6 pick from our league?

I think all of this is good-playing an opponent out of a league that doesn't recruit California that often makes the Holiday Bowl that much more appealing to me. I thought the Vegas Bowl would have the first non NY6 pick from our league?

It was speculation. Still looks like Alamo gets that distinction.

I think they'll have the San Diego AAF football team playing there in the spring.

With that, the Holiday Bowl and other events I'd think that this will be a successful stadium.

The new stadium should be successful with SDSU, the Holiday Bowl, and possibly even the MLS if they expand there. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Holiday Bowl will maintain its success.

For a bowl game that average attendance has dropped from 60,000 from years 2000-2014 to 48,000 in the last 4 years to then move to a stadium that proposes to be 35,000 capacity cannot help but be a blow to its prestige and financial viability to maintain their current status and payout to the conferences.

There isn't a single bowl around with less than 40k capacity that has a payout over $3 million. Currently the Holiday Bowl payout is more than double that.

Hard to see how this doesn't drop it down the list in the Pac-12's bowl selection behind the new Vegas Bowl and into the mix with the Redbox, Sun, and Cheez-it bowls eventually. The new L.A. Bowl could surpass many of those within the 2020-2026 time period as well.

The new stadium should be successful with SDSU, the Holiday Bowl, and possibly even the MLS if they expand there. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Holiday Bowl will maintain its success.

For a bowl game that average attendance has dropped from 60,000 from years 2000-2014 to 48,000 in the last 4 years to then move to a stadium that proposes to be 35,000 capacity cannot help but be a blow to its prestige and financial viability to maintain their current status and payout to the conferences.

There isn't a single bowl around with less than 40k capacity that has a payout over $3 million. Currently the Holiday Bowl payout is more than double that.

Hard to see how this doesn't drop it down the list in the Pac-12's bowl selection behind the new Vegas Bowl and into the mix with the Redbox, Sun, and Cheez-it bowls eventually. The new L.A. Bowl could surpass many of those within the 2020-2026 time period as well.

I understand SDSU doesn't need a bigger stadium, but it seems the city could use one with more capacity.

I understand SDSU doesn't need a bigger stadium, but it seems the city could use one with more capacity.
Always a tough question in planning stadiums. You want a stadium big enough to handle the major events but we have seen many times that an excess of capacity ends up resulting in lower ticket sales.

They need to be able to create the idea of a potential shortage of availability. At 35,000 SDSU can sell the idea that fans may not be able to simply walk up and buy seats for big games. They can sell fans on the idea that buying a season ticket insures they are in for ranked opponents or for a CCG. Build a 50,000 seat facility and fans know they can always get a ticket so instead of buying season tickets or buying in advance they wait and end up not buying.

For what? Not being flippant. I genuinely don’t know what San Diego would need with a 50,000+ seat football stadium. Petco Park holds over 42,000.

For what? Not being flippant. I genuinely don’t know what San Diego would need with a 50,000+ seat football stadium. Petco Park holds over 42,000.

For the Holiday Bowl for one. International soccer matches. Etc.

Outside of the bowl games they don't.

SDSU doesn't draw, the NFL isn't likely coming back anytime soon and if they did they would want an exclusive NFL level stadium. An MLS team wouldn't need a larger stadium.

They could move the Holiday Bowl to Petco. I see no compelling reason to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for a venue that would be used so sparingly.

They could move the Holiday Bowl to Petco. I see no compelling reason to spend hundreds of millions of dollars for a venue that would be used so sparingly.

The San Diego taxpayers have already shown that they aren't interested in putting huge amounts of money into subsidizing a giant stadium. If the Holiday can't make do in Petco then it may be time to downgrade the bowl.

It isn't as if we don't have enough bowl games as it is. If the Holiday downgraded it would still be well ahead of some other games out there. They already ended the Poinsettia Bowl.

Back