What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles News

If he (Miles) wins ONE (1) more game - his 8th on the season - he gets a CONTRACT EXTENSION. The guy has $18.5 million coming to him, according to his contract. Why on earth would Les Miles take anything less than that?

If he (Miles) wins ONE (1) more game - his 8th on the season - he gets a CONTRACT EXTENSION. The guy has $18.5 million coming to him, according to his contract. Why on earth would Les Miles take anything less than that?

Because CU has the Flatirons dummy, don't mess up a good rumor....:smile2:

It is not very likely, but how many times are you going to ask the same question? We all know he would have to walk away from a LOT of money to make this rumor true.

That's why I was asking about him getting fired. I don't see any scenario where he walks away from $4mm/yr to come to Boulder.

Him getting fired is the one scenario where I could see him coming to Boulder, actually. Getting a huge payout might make him more willing to take a lower salary. Not necessarily, but maybe.

When you've got more money than you could see you and your wife spending the rest of your lives, have enough to leave your kids millions in order to create generational wealth, and one of your job options (CU job) still would pay you somewhere around $2.5 million a year...

...maybe money isn't the motivating factor in the decision any more. Things like living where you love, being with people you love (Mac et al), raising your 4 kids in a better environment (aged 6-15), and having a final career challenge at 57 years old where you'd be given full credit for success (unlike OSU where Boone & Gundy take credit and LSU where fans still credit Saban)...

... then it can certainly be about other things. And it should be about other things at his current life stage. I don't know if this will happen, but it should happen.

Make no mistake, if Miles does come to CU, he'll be making one helluva lot more than Hawkins is.

When you've got more money than you could see you and your wife spending the rest of your lives, have enough to leave your kids millions in order to create generational wealth, and one of your job options (CU job) still would pay you somewhere around $2.5 million a year...

You're assuming he is set for life after being a head coach for less than years. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Depends on the lifestyle he has and how much money his wife spends. :smile2:

Great minds think alike Nik. Was just about to post that.:smile2:

Anyway, don't be surprised if the rumor mill heats up in earnest after this weekend. I think LSU loses to Bama, potentially by double digits.

nah... the game will be closer than that... may still not win but LSU lost at Auburn by 7 late..
the Bama game is a home game and LSU had a week off to prepare-

nah... the game will be closer than that... may still not win but LSU lost at Auburn by 7 late..
the Bama game is a home game and LSU had a week off to prepare-

What would be even better is if he ran the table and then announced after the SEC championship game that he would be stepping down for the job at Colorado. The LSU fans would go bat sh*t crazy. Having seen the opposition play I dont see that as a likely scenario. But its fun to dream.

There is still $18.5 MILLION at stake here!!!

I don't see any way Miles "steps away" from $18.5 million. I think Colorado is a great job, too, but I would gladly put up with the cajun nutjobs if it meant another year on my $18.5 million.

There is still $18.5 MILLION at stake here!!!

I don't see any way Miles "steps away" from $18.5 million. I think Colorado is a great job, too, but I would gladly put up with the cajun nutjobs if it meant another year on my $18.5 million.

Where do you get $18.5 million?

My understanding is that he has a contract that goes like 5 years out and keeps getting extended by a year every season he wins 8 or more games.

With Urban Meyer getting $3.75 and Les Miles' escalator clause (highest paid coach in SEC by $1k), that also puts him at $3.75 million.

$3.75MM x 5 years = $18.75 (I assume that's where the number is coming from.)

But he's not giving that up since he is getting paid in his new job. Say $2.5 million a year as a reasonable guess to come to CU. (At least that's what was reported he would accept.)

$2.5MM x 5 years = $12.5

That's giving up $6.25 million, assuming he would survive the next 5 years at LSU. His buyout is around $1.8 per contract year if he is fired.

It's definitely a lot of cheddar we're talking about, but it's not giving up $18+ million.

Where do you get $18.5 million?

My understanding is that he has a contract that goes like 5 years out and keeps getting extended by a year every season he wins 8 or more games.

With Urban Meyer getting $3.75 and Les Miles' escalator clause (highest paid coach in SEC by $1k), that also puts him at $3.75 million.

$3.75MM x 5 years = $18.75 (I assume that's where the number is coming from.)

But he's not giving that up since he is getting paid in his new job. Say $2.5 million a year as a reasonable guess to come to CU. (At least that's what was reported he would accept.)

$2.5MM x 5 years = $12.5

That's giving up $6.25 million, assuming he would survive the next 5 years at LSU. His buyout is around $1.8 per contract year if he is fired.

It's definitely a lot of cheddar we're talking about, but it's not giving up $18+ million.

If he gets fired, he gets paid $18.75 million.

And now the big Les Miles for HC question: How much of a hat allowance would we need to scrape together?

If he gets fired, he gets paid $18.75 million.

And that wouldn't be Miles choosing to give up the money, which negates the point Slade was trying to make.

To your follow-up post, we're now just guessing on what may or may not be motivating Miles at this point. Maybe he loves LSU (or loves the money enough to endure the rest) and wants to finish his career there. Maybe he's ready for a change and CU is the place he would love to finish his career if Michigan is off the table (looks like it is since they want Harbaugh and Miles has a huge buyout specific to Michigan).

This is the opinion part and I'm not going to argue it. I just hope you're wrong. :smile:

How else is he going to get to CU????

If he tries to walk away to go to CU, LSU is going to say they don't owe him anything.

Yep.

So instead of being paid his LSU salary, he would be paid his CU salary. Less money. But maybe that's not the motivator.

And that wouldn't be Miles choosing to give up the money, which negates the point Slade was trying to make.

I think Slade's point is that Miles can suck it up down there for another year or two, get fired, and then be on easy street the rest of his life. That's my interpretation, anyway.

To your follow-up post, we're now just guessing on what may or may not be motivating Miles at this point. Maybe he loves LSU (or loves the money enough to endure the rest) and wants to finish his career there. Maybe he's ready for a change and CU is the place he would love to finish his career if Michigan is off the table (looks like it is since they want Harbaugh and Miles has a huge buyout specific to Michigan).

This is the opinion part and I'm not going to argue it. I just hope you're wrong. :smile:

I hope I'm wrong, too. But when I put myself in Miles' shoes, I have a hard time leaving a $4mm/year job with a HUGE payout if I get fired for only winning 9 games.

It's already been laid out in this thread countless times. No one says you have to believe it. I don't.

It's got that "too good to be true" feel to it, doesn't it? At this point as Buff fans, we're pretty much conditioned to expect that after all the excitement and hope... when December rolls around we'll either hear that Hawkins is still the coach or Bohn's found some mid-major gem of a coach he can get for $850k a year. :lol:

I find myself asking: What are the scenarios where Les Miles ends up at CU? Help.....

1. Gets fired from LSU and gets paid $18mm
2. Takes job that pays less to be where he wants to be.
3. ?????????
4. CU National Championship! :lol:

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but that's about the only scenario I see it happening.

I find myself asking: What are the scenarios where Les Miles ends up at CU? Help.....

Here's how I see it could potentially play out:

1. LSU loses 2 of its last 4 games to finish 9-3.
2. The crazy SEC fans down in the bayou completely flip out over finishing 4th in the SEC West behind Alabama, Arkansas and Auburn.
3. Calls to Miles' home and office (day and night), harassment of him, his wife and his kids in public gets even worse.
4. As a family, they decide that life is too short to be unhappy, they're financially set, and they'd rather live, work and raise their kids somewhere they love, would be appreciated and have lifelong friends... Colorado. Even if it means only making $2.5 million or so a year.
5. Miles and the LSU administration (under intense pressure) amicably part ways with positive statements to the press and everyone glad to be rid of each other.

Fire, meet fuel.

From Twitter:

KyleRingo
Just spent time on the radio in Baton Rouge talking about the possibility of Les Miles coming back to Boulder. Interesting possibilty

Well, technicaly, for the next 5 years, CU could pay miles 1$ and then LSU would have to pick up the difference between that and the 3.75 mil or whatever. Soooo ya, I like this plan :lol:

Back