What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles News

I think Malzahn is a great coach actually, I just don't think he has anything resembling the coaching network necessary to have a chance at doing well at a major BCS job, especially one that is in a completely different geographic area from where he has been, and one that primarily requires recruiting from the West Coast and California, areas Malzahn has zero experience or connection with.

McElwain is a so-so candidate, he is unproven and I don't think he is as good of a coordinator as Malzahn, but he also has far more connections and much more of a coaching network built up.

Miles is a known quantity. He would repeat what he did at OSU here, which would be fine for a few years based on where the program is now, but it shouldn't be anybody's long term solution.

So who do you think we should look at? Weren't you the one that was promoting the Arky OC? If I recall his resume was pretty good, but also pretty short, much like Malzahn's.

So who do you think we should look at? Weren't you the one that was promoting the Arky OC? If I recall his resume was pretty good, but also pretty short, much like Malzahn's.

Razorback OC's resume is light years longer than Malzahn's.

Bottom line is right now, if CU has a chance to get Les Miles (by most accounts a top ten PROVEN coach in the country), we should all be pretty excited. Am I missing something? How is this a debate?

Razorback OC's resume is light years longer than Malzahn's.

So it was you promoting him. Gotcha :thumbsup:

I just looked it over again and you're right it is quite a bit longer than Malzahn's, on the college level especially. It's still a pretty weak resume imo. Gotta like what part about what he did with Northwestern's offense, though.

Question: What was the general attitude of Buff fans after the 2004 season? CU was 7-5 and won the Houston Bowl to finish up 8-5.

Disagree and quote your numbers all you like. He would be a drastic improvement over Hawkins, but he isn't going to take CU past where he took OSU. He will be a 7-8 game winner, which the fans would be very happy about for 3-5 years, but he isn't the guy to take CU to where they want to be. He only got it done once at LSU thanks to amazing luck, and LSU is rife with advantages that CU will never have. Hate to say it but CU won't have a talent level similar to LSU anytime in the next five years. He is an above average coach, but isn't going to be the savior of CU football that people on here seem to think he will be.
He may not be the savior but he could quite literally save the program. I would much rather have consistent 7-8 win seasons than get someone who could turn into the next Bobby Bowden but just as likely could be a total bust. If we miss on the next hire and end up with 5 more years of 3-8 teams, many people are going to be done with CU football for good and the program might not see the light of day again for decades.

Interesting to here what LSU fans take on the situation is

One poster writes:

"Ain't happening that is a monster regression in career choice let it go."

Thanks a lot DII. I Understand LSU will always be a better job than CU, but no one should be considering it a monster regression.

Hey can one of you guys fill me in....what's the deal with the Barnett buyout? Have we repaid the university yet or do we still owe money on that thing? Thanks

Grrr... they brought up the "noise oridinance" (which doesn't exist) and the 24 hour limit for recruit visits (which I thought had gone by the way-side when Hawk came - am I wrong?).

Both are not real issues, just excuses planted in the media by Hawkins and/or his supporters.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/MessageTopic.asp?p=22511470&Pg=1

Interesting to here what LSU fans take on the situation is

From that thread:

I agree, I highly doubt this happens if LSU wins 10+games, but if LSU only wins 8 or 9 this Miles to Colorado talk could certainly heat up.

Colorado doesn't have to give him a $3.75 million per year deal like LSU (3.75 x 4 years left on contract = $15 million), they would just need to give him a contract that is worth over $15 million in total, like $2.5 million over 6 years.

Look at it from Miles financial perspective: I have four years left on my contract at LSU, and no matter what happens, they have to pay me $15 million, even if they fire me. Of course, if they fire me, I probably won't be able to get a decent college football job ever again.

So if Colorado can step in and give him a 6-year contract at $2.5 per, he in the end winds up with the same amount of money or more than he would have gotten from LSU, and a fresh new start in a new town and new conference, and at a place with nowhere to go but up. Again, I go back to my previous point ... if LSU ends up firing Miles, his college coaching career at a big-time program is for all intents and purposes over, so that must be taken into account as well. He could potentially leverage the Colorado job into 10 more years of coaching regardless of how he does at Colorado. At LSU, as it certainly appears now, this may end up being his last college football stop if he ends up getting fired, so he really only has a lifespan of 4 more years, $15 million, and no "big time" future earning potential as a head coach. There also I'm sure is some draw to being able to win in three different BCS conferences (Big12, SEC, Pac10). Miles is a competitive guy, and that's certainly got to be a secondary (albeit small) draw as well.

Again, I don't think it'll happen, but it's a lot more conveivable than some have said. In the end, it will end up coming down to how LSU finishes this season and the total $$$ amount that ends up in Miles pocket over the entire contact (either with CU or with LSU).

Also, don't rule out the possibility of LSU "subsidizing" Miles to Colorado (so if Colorado can give Miles $2.5 mil per year, maybe LSU will chip in $1million per effectively making his buyout $6 million as opposed to $15 million, without even having to fire him. If LSU ends up 9-3 or 8-4, it would probably be wise for all parties involved (colorado, LSU, and Miles) to sit in a room together and figure out a way to make it work ... everyone ends up a winner: Colorado lands a solid coach, Miles ends up financially and professionally better off, and LSU admins help usher out Miles without the bad PR of firing him and without having to write a $15 million check to Miles over 8 years.

As far as Miles as the savior of our program, getting CU to 8 wins a year with recruiting classes consistently ranked in the Top 25 and a positive national image for the program... WOULD BE SAVING THINGS.

Does anyone doubt that Miles could accomplish that? I don't think so. Sounds like even his detractors believe that is the minimum he would accomplish. We haven't had back-to-back seasons with 8 wins or more since 2001-2002. Before that, it was 1995-1996.

Hey Nik.....I saw your comment stating both are non issues, so I take it the AD has settled up with the university regarding the Barnett buyout?

Hey Nik.....I saw your comment stating both are non issues, so I take it the AD has settled up with the university regarding the Barnett buyout?

I believe that is through the CU Foundation. I don't believe it is paid off, but the AD hasn't had to borrow more and has been running in the black. So its credit is good (especially with the Pac-12 projections).

The main reason that things look good for the finances are the Pac-12 and the new commitment by Benson and the university toward athletics. The university administrators, CU Foundation, and individual departments are sick of hearing about Dan Hawkins on 80+% of their fundraising phone calls to regular donors. They've seen the data on the "Flutie Effect" and how a successful football team drives advertising, applications, enrollment, selectivity, university rankings and, therefore, federal & corporate research dollars. Benson, DiStefano and other CU reps involved in the Pac-12 negotiations (including Regents) supposedly heard this from Larry Scott and the conference people, too. Throw in that our well-heeled AD boosters are sick of losing and are demanding a successful hire this time around.

Money's always an issue, but word is that the money is there to get done what we need to get done.

I don't know this for fact, but I've heard this as a well-placed rumor from a few unconnected sources (one that has been especially trustworthy).

One poster writes:

Thanks a lot DII. I Understand LSU will always be a better job than CU, but no one should be considering it a monster regression.

Doesn't bother me in the least. Consider the source. Our national rep sucks right now, but Colorado is a good job. Even D2Dan was able to pull in a top 15 class after a 6-7 season. Recruiting to Colorado is actually as easy as it gets outside of being in a talent rich area, and now we have a direct pipeline to southern California. Our monetary situation is about to improve drastically with the conference step-up. We don't have LSU type money, but we are just a decent coach away from having a large increase in athletic department revenue.

Guys like Les Miles who know Colorado, know that outside of the elite coaching jobs this is one of the best in the country.

He was our DC for two Super Bowls. I don't really care what he did elsewhere.

but, really. Shanahan was so far ahead of the league at that point he staked GR to a 21-0 zip lead pretty much every game before the opponent knew what was going on. and Bowlen bought GR top notch talent including Al Williams. GR stunk on ice at Kansas City.

Winning % of CU coaches since 1920:

Myron Witham .693 (12 seasons)
William Sauncers .667 (3 seasons)
Bunny Oakes .622 (5 seasons)
Frank Potts .660 (3 seasons)
Jim Yeager .581 (5 seasons)
Dallas Ward .600 (11 seasons)
Sonny Grandelius .645 (3 seasons)
Bud Davis .200 (1 season)
Eddie Crowder .576 (11 seasons)
Bill Mallory .621 (6 seasons)
Chuck Fairbanks .212 (3 seasons)
Bill McCartney .624 (13 seasons)
Rick Neuheisel .702 (4 seasons)
Gary Barnett .557 (7 seasons)
Dan Hawkins .333 (4+ seasons)

Except for 2 frauds and an interim guy, the record shows that CU has been a pretty easy place to win. A decent coach is gong to average about 8-5 with some big seasons and a clunker every now and then.

I know he took heat for it, but that's the standard that Bohn said he wants to hold the CU coach to (assuming he's running a clean program that's meeting academic requirements). As I've said before, that's a good, reasonable minimum standard. And as Miles detractors have pointed out, that's all they think he'll deliver at CU. I'd love that as a baseline right now. And it's pretty much money in the bank if we land Les Miles that we'll be at least that good.

(Edit: somewhere in there I gave an extra season to one of the coaches, but I'm not going back to fix it. Info came from the Wiki page on Colorado Football Coaches. Also, there were 9 head coaches before 1920 and only 1 had a losing record. And we had Fred Folsom going .765 over 15 seasons in that period, too. CU has always been a great place to coach.)

If we could maintain that as the standard going forwared and like you say Nik have a couple of big seasons thrown in there every once in a while I would be a lifelong happy fan.

Wow! Good stuff Buffnik. That is amazing that we have only had 3 coaches with losing records at Colorado over nearly a 100 year period.

but, really. Shanahan was so far ahead of the league at that point he staked GR to a 21-0 zip lead pretty much every game before the opponent knew what was going on. and Bowlen bought GR top notch talent including Al Williams. GR stunk on ice at Kansas City.

I agree with you. I just wanted to show him a little love since he was part of those teams.

One poster writes:

I remember driving through Baton Rouge on my way to flight school in Pensacola (circa 1994). I saw a bunch of "Geaux Tigers" bumber stickers, and wondered, "Tigers? Tigers? What school is here? Do they play college football around these parts? And then I saw some "LSU" stickers, and thought about how they were a nobody in the college football landscape.

Obviously that changed, but it wasn't that long ago...

I remember driving through Baton Rouge on my way to flight school in Pensacola (circa 1994). I saw a bunch of "Geaux Tigers" bumber stickers, and wondered, "Tigers? Tigers? What school is here? Do they play college football around these parts? And then I saw some "LSU" stickers, and thought about how they were a nobody in the college football landscape.

Obviously that changed, but it wasn't that long ago...

This year's recruits were infants when your story took place, old timer. :lol:

dana-carvey-grumpy.jpg

This year's recruits were infants when your story took place, old timer. :lol:

dana-carvey-grumpy.jpg

I get that, but I'm not talking about recruits--I recognize they have a short memory.

I'm talking about the quality of a program, and desirability of a job. CU was paying its head coach tops in the nation back then, and we were a perennial top 10 team. While recruits have short memories, I'm pretty sure everybody in the coaching ranks was around. It wasn't so long ago, after all.

Back