What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Les Miles News

LSU should bring back DiNardo... that guy is a rockstar on the Big Ten Network! He was also a coordinator on our '90 team.

I'm joking. While DiNardo is a really good TV analyst, he wasn't a great HC.

Insightful analysis.
My point is that Miles, with the way he is, will have a shorter rope than most any other candidate. The ridicule will come quickly and be more intense for Miles than probably anyone else. Hawk is (and was when he started) an "out there" kind of guy. Miles is also out of the ordinary, but in a different way.

Most coaches are fairly nondescript. For example, take Randy Shannon at Miami. A lot of people don’t like him as a coach based on his performance, but you don’t hear people mocking him like you do with a Hawk or a Miles.

Gregg Robinson, former DC at Texas who went on to be HC at Syracuse...horrible record at Cuse, but not much to say about the guy other than he wasn’t effective.

Disagree - CU is at its lowest point in 30 years. Hasn't been this bad since late 70's early 80's before Mac came. Expectations are no where near where they are at LSU and no where near where they were when coach Mac was running the show. If Les can get us to winning 8 games a year on a regular basis people will be thrilled. -- I don't think thats an unrealistic expectation either. I think he could get us there by year 3. People here don't expect him to turn it around overnight because we simply don't have the athletes right now and everybody knows it. If he can get us to 8 wins the money will start to flow in again from the boosters and we can get our facilities back on track. Once we have some good facilities, watch out because we will be able to recruit with just about anybody save maybe 3-4 programs i.e. Texas, Florida, USC, and Bama

^^^^This.

If, say he has five 7-8 seasons and doesn't improve then the critics will come out. I don't think anyone here thinks that if Les came we'd be playing for the mNC anytime in 5 years. Thats like not eve on the radar.

First, we have to start winning on the road.
Second, get back above .500
Third, we have to stop getting crushed by top 25 teams.
Fourth, we need to make and win a bowl game.
Fifth, we need to start beating some top 25 teams.

Do all of that and good things will start happening. You need good players. You need good coaches to get those players and to coach them up. Lastly, the part you can't control even at Bama or LSU or UT; you need those kids to execute.

My point is that Miles, with the way he is, will have a shorter rope than most any other candidate. The ridicule will come quickly and be more intense for Miles than probably anyone else. Hawk is (and was when he started) an "out there" kind of guy. Miles is also out of the ordinary, but in a different way.

Most coaches are fairly nondescript. For example, take Randy Shannon at Miami. A lot of people don’t like him as a coach based on his performance, but you don’t hear people mocking him like you do with a Hawk or a Miles.

Gregg Robinson, former DC at Texas who went on to be HC at Syracuse...horrible record at Cuse, but not much to say about the guy other than he wasn’t effective.

I think that we're realistic enough as a fan base to realize it's gonna take a bit of time to get this bus turned around. Miles can be polarizing, I'll admit. And historically I haven't been a big fan of his. BUT, he wins games, and if for some crazy reason he ends up at CU (again) I'll support him and give him a couple years of leeway to show some movement in a positive direction.

You, on the other hand, should visit Texas' fan boards, because they are out-of-control. Talk about a fanbase not giving a staff a lot of room for wiggle...

You sure? Here's what Miles had to say this week when asked about whether he was disappointed in his wide receivers' blocking:

"I guess what I'm saying is I'm in the key piece of my season where the big plays have yet to have been made. As I go into the next game, I look for those plays to be more important than anything that we've done in the past, and to say that I have any opinion to this point that would be finite would not. Really, I'm expecting this receiving corps to do the things that they've done in the past, and that is rebound and play like hell and play well. If they do that, that's just what I want to see them do. In many instances there is some developing going on, and there are some guys, in my opinion, who are a little bit nicked and will probably be playing with greatest health this Saturday."

Refreshing when compared to Hawk, but definitely out there

I think that we're realistic enough as a fan base to realize it's gonna take a bit of time to get this bus turned around. Miles can be polarizing, I'll admit. And historically I haven't been a big fan of his. BUT, he wins games, and if for some crazy reason he ends up at CU (again) I'll support him and give him a couple years of leeway to show some movement in a positive direction.

You, on the other hand, should visit Texas' fan boards, because they are out-of-control. Talk about a fanbase not giving a staff a lot of room for wiggle...
Yes, I visit the TX boards and they are totally absurd, beyond absurd...surreal. You can't believe what you're reading. Fire Mack? Insanity. I think the Florida boards are the same, calling for Urban to be fired. You start to be concerned when you realize that these people are allowed to vote, drive cars, etc.

After the transition year, Miles averaged 8 wins a season at OSU for 3 years. I'm positive that Buff fans could happily live with that, especially if he was bringing in top recruiting classes over that 4 year period that set us up for long-term prosperity. Of course we'd want a bit more, but that would be pretty good, man.

You sure? Here's what Miles had to say this week when asked about whether he was disappointed in his wide receivers' blocking:

"I guess what I'm saying is I'm in the key piece of my season where the big plays have yet to have been made. As I go into the next game, I look for those plays to be more important than anything that we've done in the past, and to say that I have any opinion to this point that would be finite would not. Really, I'm expecting this receiving corps to do the things that they've done in the past, and that is rebound and play like hell and play well. If they do that, that's just what I want to see them do. In many instances there is some developing going on, and there are some guys, in my opinion, who are a little bit nicked and will probably be playing with greatest health this Saturday."

Refreshing when compared to Hawk, but definitely out there
I'm not against Miles. I'm just saying any element of quirkiness is viewed as cool (even revered) when you're winning but the second you start losing it's meat for the grinder. Wasn't there a monologue on this in Bull Durham?

people in the Denver area are more than familiar with the magical, mercurial defenses of Greg Robinson. he was the DC at UT for, what, one year? a D that was loaded with Derrick Johnson, Nathan Vasher et al. that he bombed at Syracuse was no surprise to me.

"Its like you're the potter and you've got your hands in the clay all the time, and I'm always trying to help them make sense of the world the best way I can." -- I'm just saying after reading Miles remarks compared to this pile of **** it his press conferences would be welcomed. At least he cares about winning which Hawk has stated on more than one occasion its not about winning and losing.

I think LM would do OK in bBoulder, I am not sold he is the best choice, but he's pretty good IMO.

After the transition year, Miles averaged 8 wins a season at OSU for 3 years. I'm positive that Buff fans could happily live with that, especially if he was bringing in top recruiting classes over that 4 year period that set us up for long-term prosperity. Of course we'd want a bit more, but that would be pretty good, man.
He can win 7 or 8 games every year at CU. If you want championships - probably not.

OldTiger.jpg
Spoiled? LSU has had a good decade. Last SEC crown before -1988. I vote you leave the hat where he is. Unless of course they beat us this weekend.

1999 3-8
1998 4-7
1997 9-3
1996 10-2
1995 7-4-1
1994 4-7
1993 5-6
1992 2-9
1991 5-6
1990 5-6
2 national championships in the last 10 years - enough said.

He can win 7 or 8 games every year at CU. If you want championships - probably not.

I think he can get us to this level and add in maybe one or two 9 win seasons. That would be fine with me if you take a long approach to the program - Get Les in and after 3 yrs get us back to winning 8 a year, have that go on for about 4 more years and then he's at age 67, CU would have its money issues in order with the new Pac-12 revenue, Big XII revenue issue paid off and money flowing again from renewed interest from boosters after several solid years. CU would be in a position to hire a really great next coach post Miles so give me Les and 8 wins a year by year 3 and continue for 4 years or so and I think CU would be in position at that point to take it to the next level.

What's with SEC fans that think every coach on other teams in their conference is garbage?

I do have a concern with Miles: why on earth is Gary Crowton still his OC? Don't tell me he can't locate a better OC.
I agree with you 100% about Crowton - he's an idiot. I think there are some really good coaches in the SEC - Saban, Nutt, Spurrier, Meyer, Petrino, Richt - although he is having his worst year as a coach. Chizik looks good also, but we will see how he does next year without Newton. There is no way he can replace him.

I agree with you 100% about Crowton - he's an idiot. I think there are some really good coaches in the SEC - Saban, Nutt, Spurrier, Meyer, Petrino, Richt - although he is having his worst year as a coach. Chizik looks good also, but we will see how he does next year without Newton. There is no way he can replace him.

Newton is a one man team. It will be real tough for Chizik without Newton.

people in the Denver area are more than familiar with the magical, mercurial defenses of Greg Robinson. he was the DC at UT for, what, one year? a D that was loaded with Derrick Johnson, Nathan Vasher et al. that he bombed at Syracuse was no surprise to me.

Are people seriously talking about Greg Robinson? He is a terrible football coach. He is AWFUL at Michigan. His defense there the past 2 years have been atrocious. He will be fired as DC at Michgan this year no queston asked, and almost 100% of all Michigan fans want him out quicker than that.

Are people seriously talking about Greg Robinson? He is a terrible football coach. He is AWFUL at Michigan. His defense there the past 2 years have been atrocious. He will be fired as DC at Michgan this year no queston asked, and almost 100% of all Michigan fans want him out quicker than that.

He was our DC for two Super Bowls. I don't really care what he did elsewhere.

Yes, people are talking about Greg Robinson. No one threw him out as any sort of candidate or anything, not sure what posts you are reading.

Those schools piss me off because of their stupid fans. Ron Zook's rep went in the toilet, all because Florida fans weren't satisfied. You'd think he was the worst D-1 coach ever. Yet he has 23-14 at UF, 16-8 in conference, and took UF to bowls in each of his three seasons. He also beat FIVE Top 10 teams in three years (three of those were Top 5), and recruited most of the '06 title team coached by Urban.

Yes, I visit the TX boards and they are totally absurd, beyond absurd...surreal. You can't believe what you're reading. Fire Mack? Insanity. I think the Florida boards are the same, calling for Urban to be fired. You start to be concerned when you realize that these people are allowed to vote, drive cars, etc.

What's with SEC fans that think every coach on other teams in their conference is garbage?

This isn't necessarily true. But you will find the consensus amongst SEC fans is that Miles isn't a great coach. You all keep quoting his W/L record. His title came with Saban recruits, and he was lucky to get there with 2 losses. The guy gambles an insane amount of times and somehow has come out on the winning end the vast majority of the time.

My question is this, do you all actually watch any LSU games? See how poorly coached they are and how poor their schemes are on offense? They are loaded with talent, easily one of the 2 or 3 most talented teams in the country every year (the vast majority of that talent is within an hour or two of campus). Louisiana is probably the #4 or #5 talent producing state in the country, LSU is the major university, and they get their pick of that talent. Miles is still losing 4 games a season right now with that talent. He is an offensive guy and his offense is awful. They win games based purely on talent. He has been holding that program down. SEC people are happy he is there because his presence at LSU is keeping them from being as good as they can be, and it makes a W easier every year.

Disagree and quote your numbers all you like. He would be a drastic improvement over Hawkins, but he isn't going to take CU past where he took OSU. He will be a 7-8 game winner, which the fans would be very happy about for 3-5 years, but he isn't the guy to take CU to where they want to be. He only got it done once at LSU thanks to amazing luck, and LSU is rife with advantages that CU will never have. Hate to say it but CU won't have a talent level similar to LSU anytime in the next five years. He is an above average coach, but isn't going to be the savior of CU football that people on here seem to think he will be.

Last edited:
@ Razorbuff

I should have clarified that it seems like a lot of SEC fans, you and bama_charlie in particular, seem pretty fast to dismiss every SEC we've mentioned as possibilities. Just kind of cracks me up. Gus Malzahn is pretty much considered an offensive genius, but I know Charlie doesn't think highly of him. Apparently that's all Cam Newton. Jim McElwain seems like another solid candidate that he dismissed because there's a lot of talent on offense and he doesn't think the production is up to par. You look at Les Miles and see an average coach, the rest of us see one of the best coaches in the country.

Like I said, the lack of offensive production for LSU worries me. I place more blame on Crowton, but you probably watch more LSU games than I do, so maybe it is Miles' fault.

This isn't necessarily true. But you will find the consensus amongst SEC fans is that Miles isn't a great coach. You all keep quoting his W/L record. His title came with Saban recruits, and he was lucky to get there with 2 losses.

doesn't that alone prove he is a good coach. He coached up some player to get a title.

@ Razorbuff

I should have clarified that it seems like a lot of SEC fans, you and bama_charlie in particular, seem pretty fast to dismiss every SEC we've mentioned as possibilities. Just kind of cracks me up. Gus Malzahn is pretty much considered an offensive genius, but I know Charlie doesn't think highly of him. Apparently that's all Cam Newton. Jim McElwain seems like another solid candidate that he dismissed because there's a lot of talent on offense and he doesn't think the production is up to par. You look at Les Miles and see an average coach, the rest of us see one of the best coaches in the country.

Like I said, the lack of offensive production for LSU worries me. I place more blame on Crowton, but you probably watch more LSU games than I do, so maybe it is Miles' fault.

I think Malzahn is a great coach actually, I just don't think he has anything resembling the coaching network necessary to have a chance at doing well at a major BCS job, especially one that is in a completely different geographic area from where he has been, and one that primarily requires recruiting from the West Coast and California, areas Malzahn has zero experience or connection with.

McElwain is a so-so candidate, he is unproven and I don't think he is as good of a coordinator as Malzahn, but he also has far more connections and much more of a coaching network built up.

Miles is a known quantity. He would repeat what he did at OSU here, which would be fine for a few years based on where the program is now, but it shouldn't be anybody's long term solution.

doesn't that alone prove he is a good coach. He coached up some player to get a title.

Maybe you mean he took a bunch of 4 and 5* stud recruits, managed to lose two games, won by the skin of his teeth in a good number of those games by taking ridiculous chances that by some miracle always panned out, and beat an Ohio State team that had no business being in the title game that year, and was far worse than some of the other teams he had played that season, then yeah he coached a bunch of guys up.

Back