What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Local Media Coverage of firing/hiring - (was: Joel Klatt is having a meltdown)

Pretty simple concept in most areas of the world of employment, you pay what it cost the get the guy you want. Embree was available for cheap because nobody else was going to pay him more to do the same job. They are paying the guy they just hired what they are paying him because that is what it cost to get him. Offer him less and and he doesn't come. Same thing works in most other lines of work as well.

Listening to Big Al last night, and Mike Evans (a/k/a "Klatt's mouthpiece") this morning, it is clear that the former-Buff narrative now is this:

"I'm not going to say its a bad hire, but Bohn promised a BCS-level coach, and we got Mike MacIntyre. Bohn isn't getting it done".

Since their gripes against Bohn for firing Embree didn't gain any traction, they are now trying to turn the fans against the AD for failing to land a top-tier BCS coach. I think the criticism is fair (since Bohn reportedly wanted a current BCS coach), but the feigned anger on the subject is nearly laughable.

I would have a lot more respect for them if they just said what they're feeling = "Embree was a good friend of mine. I think he was the right person to continue to lead the Buffs, and I'm angry that Bohn didn't give him the necessary amount of time to get it done". We could then debate the merits of the argument, but the vendetta is getting silly.

Probably. Think of all the water bottles and chairs he could have bought. Maybe a teak desk too.

You dumb bitches. You want to be a playa, you buy the head coach two new desks every ****in' year, like they do for Saban. True story.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Listening to Big Al last night, and Mike Evans (a/k/a "Klatt's mouthpiece") this morning, it is clear that the former-Buff narrative now is this:

"I'm not going to say its a bad hire, but Bohn promised a BCS-level coach, and we got Mike MacIntyre. Bohn isn't getting it done".

Since their gripes against Bohn for firing Embree didn't gain any traction, they are now trying to turn the fans against the AD for failing to land a top-tier BCS coach. I think the criticism is fair (since Bohn reportedly wanted a current BCS coach), but the feigned anger on the subject is nearly laughable.

I would have a lot more respect for them if they just said what they're feeling = "Embree was a good friend of mine. I think he was the right person to continue to lead the Buffs, and I'm angry that Bohn didn't give him the necessary amount of time to get it done". We could then debate the merits of the argument, but the vendetta is getting silly.

I think it's humorous that the Embree supports are bashing Bohn for hiring the MacIntyre who doesn't have experience as a head coach at a BCS school... You have to wonder if the irony is getting thorough to them. Probably not.

I think it's humorous that the Embree supports are bashing Bohn for hiring the MacIntyre who doesn't have experience as a head coach at a BCS school... You have to wonder if the irony is getting thorough to them. Probably not.

Not to mention, his coaching record is a big reason we couldnt get a sniff from higher profile coaches. Losing to csu, sac state, and getting clobbered by Fresno has led people to believe that our facilities consist of a Total Gym that the players have to work in on. JE's coaching has made more than himself look bad. I cant stand when people dont admit that they are part of the problem.

Not to mention, his coaching record is a big reason we couldnt get a sniff from higher profile coaches. Losing to csu, sac state, and getting clobbered by Fresno has led people to believe that our facilities consist of a Total Gym that the players have to work in on. JE's coaching has made more than himself look bad. I cant stand when people dont admit that they are part of the problem.

I've seen the Total Gym commercials. Christy Brinkley is still hot. If we had a Total Gym, our cheerleaders would put Oregon to shame. FACT!

Their narrative changes with the situation. They started out speculating and reporting that Bohn had obviously been lying to Embree all season and had the coach lined up for weeks prior to firing Embree.

That was cause for righteous anger.

When they learned that this wasn't the case and there was a search going on, the fact that Bohn didn't have an immediate replacement on tap meant that he was ill-prepared in his job as AD.

When CU was outbid in an 11th hour play from Tennessee for a coach who had agreed to terms, it was a failure by the AD.

When CU was then rejected by a coach who was already making $2.65MM a year in an SEC job, this was inexcusable. And when the coach CU landed on was someone whose resume only included 4 Defensive Coordinator stops, 5 years as a coach under Bill Parcells in the NFL, 4 years coaching on both offense and defense in the SEC, and turning around what may have been the most downtrodden program in the nation to a 10-win team in only 3 years... they decided that this was a betrayal because the new coach's resume wasn't any better than Embree's. :wow:

That is the latest cause for righteous anger.

I wonder if Joel's "vacation" has anything to do with being called out publicly by Plati asking him to know his subject matter before attacking Colorado.

think about this little gem-

under Embree ... CU only won 1 game in Folsom Field

I wonder if Joel's "vacation" has anything to do with being called out publicly by Plati asking him to know his subject matter before attacking Colorado.
It probably has a lot more to do with a number of listeners and perhaps advertisers telling the station to take him off the air.

Hiring someone connected, either in the program or media, isn't smart because you can't get rid of them without drama or nonsense.

Listened to Evans for a few minutes, poo-pooing the hire as not being "high profile". NEWSFLASH you fools- Saban, Miles, Meyer, Kelly were never coming to Boulder!! Petrino and Tressell were radioactive and would Butch Jones have been a home run? That leaves a bunch of BCS level coordinators and non-BCS HC's. I'm completely satisfied with the hire, I think we got a great coach who will get things moving in the right direction. Again, as far as Big Al, et. al. you are no longer Buffs in my book - go root for WYO or Mines.

Last edited:
Even worse- I can't even remember which game it was!

Arizona, last year?

Yes our fans stormed the field. I have bashed our fans every since that happened. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have advised the fans to storm the field and tear the goal posts down. Go out and riot through the street of Boulder and turn some cars over(or bicycles). Did not in my wildest dream think that would be only a small handful of positive memories from the Embree era.

Strangely, this may actually benefit Klatt in the long run. I've often thought he was a decent enough radio guy, and fairly competent calling games on TV. In order to take his career "to the next level" he needs to get out of Denver - if he stays much longer, where he's out now will be his ceiling. On the other hand, if he's run out of town, his trajectory will definitely change one way or the other.

I was listening this morning and was surprised by the level of ignorance on there. They open up with the statement that they didn't know anything about Mac. Then they go on to say they weren't impressed with the hire. Huh? How the hell do you criticize the hire when you don't know anything about the guy? There is more information available, and more informed posters, on this website. It's not like Mac was out of the blue. He was on a ton of coaching candidate articles. A series lack of prep work and research.

Yeah, I'm not sure it helps their cause to admit that they never heard of the guy.

What this whole situation shows me is how badly the local media market is skewed toward pro sports. It is not a shock and I knew it was the case, but the outright ignorance of college football matters is incredible.

D1 Assistant coach of the year 3 years ago and they've never heard of him. Sound like they need to have job evaluations taken.

What this whole situation shows me is how badly the local media market is skewed toward pro sports. It is not a shock and I knew it was the case, but the outright ignorance of college football matters is incredible.

Especially when you consider that College Football is really the 2nd most popular sport in America, just behind Pro Football.

As a sports journalist, you damn well better know the name of the guy who coaches the 24th ranked team in the country. These local guys are embarrassing themselves.

You know what is even more insulting, the AD within the last couple of years had an Alfred Williams day to commemorate AW's induction into the Colorado Sports HOF. Thye handed out picture cards with AW's pic on them at the game where he was honored. My kid still has his. Now AW ****s on the people who honored him just a couple of years ago. Classy.

I wanted to do harm to Mike Evans this morning. He hates the Buffs. "You had one blip of success twenty years ago." Moser was trying to put some context into the hire. Then somebody would call about the Broncos.

Back