What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Local Media Coverage of firing/hiring - (was: Joel Klatt is having a meltdown)

Why are so many of you are shocked and outraged that Denver radio personalities aren't familiar with MacIntyre? You expect them to do research? Seriously? They're paid to be strongly opinionated. The more outrageous the commentary, the better. I don't like it any more than any of you, but to expect thoughtful analysis is unrealistic.

Also, please stop with the nonsense about Alfred Williams not being a "true Buff." None of us have contributed what he has to CU football. Disagree with him all you want, but he's a Buff whether you like it or not.

Especially when you consider that College Football is really the 2nd most popular sport in America, just behind Pro Football.

Additionally, they've outright admitted on air that after Broncos football, CU football is the second most popular topic of discussion on Denver's airwaves. It's fun to talk about the Rockies or Nuggets every once in a while, but people are only really passionate about Broncos and Buffs football. That being the case, they might want to actually get informed on the latter. Instead, they spend all of their time to over-analyzing every little thing that happens with the Broncos on a weekly basis in an attempt to cater to the mouth-breathers who hang on their every word. Most Broncos fans I hear on these channels can barely form a coherent sentence, much less a valid thought about pro football.

Why are so many of you are shocked and outraged that Denver radio personalities aren't familiar with MacIntyre? You expect them to do research? Seriously? They're paid to be strongly opinionated. The more outrageous the commentary, the better. I don't like it any more than any of you, but to expect thoughtful analysis is unrealistic.

Also, please stop with the nonsense about Alfred Williams not being a "true Buff." None of us have contributed what he has to CU football. Disagree with him all you want, but he's a Buff whether you like it or not.

He's walking a fine line. Alfred forgets his place. The PROGRAM is bigger than any one era, one player, one coach. He's one blip in the history of CU Football. He should be honored this PROGRAM allowed him a chance to become the successful person he is. This PROGRAM was around and successful way before Alfred was here and it will be around and successful way after he's dead and forgotten.

He's walking a fine line. Alfred forgets his place. The PROGRAM is bigger than any one era, one player, one coach. He's one blip in the history of CU Football. He should be honored this PROGRAM allowed him a chance to become the successful person he is. This PROGRAM was around and successful way before Alfred was here and it will be around and successful way after he's dead and forgotten.

:thumbsup:

That's been my problem all along. I'm not disrespecting Big Al despite what he's done on the field, I'm just down on him because he has been acting like a spoiled brat who thinks he's bigger than the University itself. After listening to the other Denver media hosts (aka the A/V club) fellating him for 2 weeks, I can even understand his feeling like he's bigger than anything else around here. He's treated like a God by those people. But he's been damaging the reputation and the image of the University. Not as bad as Klatt perhaps, but he still has. I don't think anyone has to apologize for their anger at his actions.

No one outside of Denver/Boulder has paid the slightest attention to the b.s. that Al, joey, and mac have tried to stir up. It got one day of espn attention, and they apparently didn't stir up enough of a reaction to stay on it. So, whatever, although it appears the bosses at their respective stations have had about enough.

Here's the problem with Denver media of all kinds. Very few of them are from here. In fact, very few have lived here more than 5-6 years. They have no roots here, they certainly don't have much of an idea of the history of the area, and most importantly, they view being in Denver as a mere stop on their way to a bigger and better market.

The people who have been here longer fit into two categories. The lifers who want to be here, and the people that don't want to be here but haven't been able to move on. For one reason or another, we don't have many good lifers. It seems like the ones who could be good like Kiszla and Paige like to spend their time trying to piss people off instead of providing good commentary, or are like Clough and Kreiger who think they are geniuses who know more than anyone else alive. The rest are like Evans, who obviously did not plan to be here this long and don't hide their disappointment at being here very well.

Evans goes way out of his way to be a **** sucker,I love how running his mouth last year got him a Tebow tattoo.

Thank you Milehighsports...talking CU Buffs and have called out the venom being spewed on some of the other channels, including calling folks out by name. Theme is basically if you support the program time for everybody to lay down their arms and get behind the new guy.

Thank you Milehighsports...talking CU Buffs and have called out the venom being spewed on some of the other channels, including calling folks out by name. Theme is basically if you support the program time for everybody to lay down their arms and get behind the new guy.

JJ Flanagan posted as much on our FaceBook page.

Heard Pritchard being interviewed on Mile High Sports tonight - he had good points, even if the interview was crappily done. Basically he said, yeah, people were disappointed about what happened, Embree is a good guy who has a lot of friends in the Buff football alumni crowd, and people had high hopes for him. BUT, he was a very bad experiment, there was no way that CU could go forward with another year considering the lost income from ticket sales etc last year, especially because you knew it was going to get worse next year, so even those there are deep divisions among the Buff faithful right now, everybody needs to get over things and realize that this is best for the program.

On some recommendation from some yahoo here, I started listening to mile high sports today around noon. I don't know who those geezers are, but the minute they started croaking about how a Dave Logan hire would have been 'bold', I bailed. Nice call.

Heard Pritchard being interviewed on Mile High Sports tonight - he had good points, even if the interview was crappily done. Basically he said, yeah, people were disappointed about what happened, Embree is a good guy who has a lot of friends in the Buff football alumni crowd, and people had high hopes for him. BUT, he was a very bad experiment, there was no way that CU could go forward with another year considering the lost income from ticket sales etc last year, especially because you knew it was going to get worse next year, so even those there are deep divisions among the Buff faithful right now, everybody needs to get over things and realize that this is best for the program.
Thank you, MP, for finally speaking the truth. First B4L-type person of respect that I have seen come forward. This is huge.

i saw klatt speak at a local event on the cu campus this past year and he basically said that no one should take most of what he says on his radio show seriously, he is an entertainer focused on ratings.

That said, his performance in the past few weeks has been nothing short of a freak show...

Thank you, MP, for finally speaking the truth. First B4L-type person of respect that I have seen come forward. This is huge.

Wilcots spoke up early. This has been a tough one. Lots of guys torn between love of a program and love for a friend. Between a deep understanding that football is a bottom line business and trust that a teammate they respect could get it done if given time & resources.

If I was in that situation, I probably wouldn't speak publicly and most have not. I think at a certain point, though, a feeling has grown that those who chose to speak out were not very measured in their comments (whether McChesney on one side or Klatt on the other) and there was a need to settle things down with some more reasonable voices.

On some recommendation from some yahoo here, I started listening to mile high sports today around noon. I don't know who those geezers are, but the minute they started croaking about how a Dave Logan hire would have been 'bold', I bailed. Nice call.

It's pretty awful from around 11-3 but the later guys aren't bad.

It's pretty awful from around 11-3 but the later guys aren't bad.

This. Irv/Joe, and Gil are the old guys in this time and are quite hard to listen to, but evening and night has a lot of Buff talk and more rational personalities.

Lombardi just opined that if Embree only got two years, what's fair is fair. "MacIntyre should only get two years to turn it around." Oh come on Vic!!!

Lombardi just opined that if Embree only got two years, what's fair is fair. "MacIntyre should only get two years to turn it around." Oh come on Vic!!!

If Mac shows no signs of improvement in 2 years, and the team actually regresses, then yeah, he should only get 2 years.... just like Embree.

He also said if MikeMac has 4 wins or more, beats Arky St, and does not get beat by more than 3 touchdowns every game, yada yada yada. He did set the bar at Embo's success level which is a pretty low bar. MikeMac may equal Embo's win total next year, 4 is not unpossible with the schedule.

He also said if MikeMac has 4 wins or more, beats Arky St, and does not get beat by more than 3 touchdowns every game, yada yada yada. He did set the bar at Embo's success level which is a pretty low bar. MikeMac may equal Embo's win total next year, 4 is not unpossible with the schedule.

24699709.jpg

I am sure somewhere in this 64 page thread someone has spoken of the apparent change the past week or so in the local media. Anyone notice that the DP and DC are spinning the story more positively all the sudden?

I think Bohn & Co. must have been shutting them out so much that they had no alternative but to warm up to Mac and Bohn a bit. It seemed like the DP was at war with Bohn after the fiasco with BJ, but now they are playing really nice. We'll see how long that lasts :)

Al just ignored the Buffs from what I heard yesterday. CJ was positive with the new coach on 102.3. I think they have decided to drop the narrative for now. I bet it reappears at the first opportunity.

You heard what you wanted to hear, not what he actually said.

Wilcots spoke up early. This has been a tough one. Lots of guys torn between love of a program and love for a friend. Between a deep understanding that football is a bottom line business and trust that a teammate they respect could get it done if given time & resources.

If I was in that situation, I probably wouldn't speak publicly and most have not. I think at a certain point, though, a feeling has grown that those who chose to speak out were not very measured in their comments (whether McChesney on one side or Klatt on the other) and there was a need to settle things down with some more reasonable voices.

I agree with this completely. So many folks seem to praise McChesney because they agree with him (i.e. that it was time for Embree to go), but as far as I can tell he's exactly like Klatt. They happen to disagree on this issue, but neither are shy about voicing opinions and they don't do so in a measured way. Part of that is the culture of sports radio. The more opinionated and outrageous, the higher the ratings, unfortunately.

Bohn on 1043 the fan right now... nothing of moment yet.

Interesting commentary about how everything is now in line and everyone is working together, and that "we've never raised more money."

Back