What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Local Media Coverage of firing/hiring - (was: Joel Klatt is having a meltdown)

Fair question. Another fair question: who hired Embree? Why does Bohn get a free pass? Some argue that it wasn't Bohn's decision and he should get a free pass. First of all, what does that say about Bohn's ability to be an effective AD? Secondly, couldn't the same argument be made that it wasn't Embree's defense that gave up nearly 50 points per game (it was Brown's) and that it wasn't Embree's offense that struggled against the likes of Sac State (it was EB's)? Again, not that the football team was playing well, but just that Bohn gets a free pass while Embree packs his bags.

Bohn gets no free pass. I posted here http://www.allbuffs.com/showthread.php/83103-A-few-points-I-ve-thought-about-today that I am glad Bohn & company are getting some real heat (to light a fire underneath them to actually seriously commit to the football program). In that same thread, I posted quotes from Jon Major about JE:

"He had a lot of input and a lot of good ideas. We changed schemes about four times trying to find a way to be effective against these types of offenses."

So while GB was incompetent, JE had his hands in that cookie jar. As far as the offensive ineptitude, it began with the poor handling of the QB situation throughout the year, and that starts with JE.

Fair question. Another fair question: who hired Embree? Why does Bohn get a free pass? Some argue that it wasn't Bohn's decision and he should get a free pass. First of all, what does that say about Bohn's ability to be an effective AD? Secondly, couldn't the same argument be made that it wasn't Embree's defense that gave up nearly 50 points per game (it was Brown's) and that it wasn't Embree's offense that struggled against the likes of Sac State (it was EB's)? Again, not that the football team was playing well, but just that Bohn gets a free pass while Embree packs his bags.

One of the most ridiculous things about the campaign against Bohn by Camp Embree is that they have managed to make Bohn into a sympathetic figure. 3 days ago, most of us wanted everyone from Benson on down ****canned. But we all agreed Embree had to go. By reacting to Embree's firing the way they have, Camp Embree has turned it into "us" vs "them".

I think this is absolutely true. Embree was a cheap hire.

Correct me where you see wrong.

Bohn hired the hottest coaching recruit around with Hawkins.
Probably gave him at least a year too long.
When Bohn tried to grab a big name like Les Miles..etc, it was never going to happen. So with his job on the line, and knowing CU was dealing with a limited budget and other school issues, he decided to let his bosses and Buffs4Life make the call on Embree/Bienemy.

Both a sellable low cost provider (Much like Rockies with Weiss/Bichette)
At the end of this year, Bienemy was already planning his future back in the NFL. Bohn is going to need an OC. Still playing along with a hire he wasn't behind, he tried to get a few coaches on as OC. They all told them no.

Bohn goes back and tells his bosses, no one is taking the job as they think Embree will be let go next year, but they are interested in talking if we make a change. They all talk, and decide to fire Embree

Instead of Bohn having his "I told you so" moment, he decides to prove his worth by falling on the grenade for the Buffs4Life and bosses that went with Embree/Bienemeny hire. He does so because while he loses the PR battle with fans/media, he gains a lot of support from the bosses that went that direction. He however gets ripped by Buffs4life in media, but at the end of the day, Buffs4Life crew doesn't sign his paychecks.

He gets upset in interviews because he can't say what he really wants to say. "It wasn't my choice, but I knew no coach could work at this time, so I played nice, and now I'm taking all the bullets for my bosses so I get one more shot at hiring the guy I want, especially that we've got some Pac-12 funds to do so"

Bohn bosses will see that he took the Embree-firing bullet like a man and was loyal to them, which in essence buys Bohn more time. At least another 2 years.

Just my read. Curious to see if you guys think I'm off base, and if so, where?
Thanks

PBRadio - your scenario is plausible, particularly when you add the the conference change, the loss of all Big 12 revenue, and the fact that no PAC-12 revenue was to be forthcoming for a couple years.

Correct me where you see wrong.

Bohn hired the hottest coaching recruit around with Hawkins.
Probably gave him at least a year too long.
When Bohn tried to grab a big name like Les Miles..etc, it was never going to happen. So with his job on the line, and knowing CU was dealing with a limited budget and other school issues, he decided to let his bosses and Buffs4Life make the call on Embree/Bienemy.

Both a sellable low cost provider (Much like Rockies with Weiss/Bichette)
At the end of this year, Bienemy was already planning his future back in the NFL. Bohn is going to need an OC. Still playing along with a hire he wasn't behind, he tried to get a few coaches on as OC. They all told them no.

Bohn goes back and tells his bosses, no one is taking the job as they think Embree will be let go next year, but they are interested in talking if we make a change. They all talk, and decide to fire Embree

Instead of Bohn having his "I told you so" moment, he decides to prove his worth by falling on the grenade for the Buffs4Life and bosses that went with Embree/Bienemeny hire. He does so because while he loses the PR battle with fans/media, he gains a lot of support from the bosses that went that direction. He however gets ripped by Buffs4life in media, but at the end of the day, Buffs4Life crew doesn't sign his paychecks.

He gets upset in interviews because he can't say what he really wants to say. "It wasn't my choice, but I knew no coach could work at this time, so I played nice, and now I'm taking all the bullets for my bosses so I get one more shot at hiring the guy I want, especially that we've got some Pac-12 funds to do so"

Bohn bosses will see that he took the Embree-firing bullet like a man and was loyal to them, which in essence buys Bohn more time. At least another 2 years.

Just my read. Curious to see if you guys think I'm off base, and if so, where?
Thanks
Pretty close to what a lot of people have said. The EB stuff may not be true though. Counter is that while EB may have been thinking about it, JE wanted him to stay, or at least refused to tell Bohn EB was not coming back, and that he would just "learn the spread" some paraphrasing.

That is pretty close.

Let it be known however, that most folks at Allbuffs don't absolve Mike Bohn of his responsibility in the disaster that is CU football. However, we all realize that keeping coach Hawk and extra year was a Benson decision. We also realize that the Embree hire probably wasn't his decision either. Bohn is a good soldier.

I think we're all happy that the pressure is being turned up on the admin - what I don't care for is the way that the 'Buffs4Life' crew has gone about it. I don't like how Embree has taken zero responsibility for putting out the worst football product in school history. There is just so much hypocrisy in their media crusade that it is frustrating.

That is pretty close.

Let it be known however, that most folks at Allbuffs don't absolve Mike Bohn of his responsibility in the disaster that is CU football. However, we all realize that keeping coach Hawk and extra year was a Benson decision. We also realize that the Embree hire probably wasn't his decision either. Bohn is a good soldier.

I think we're all happy that the pressure is being turned up on the admin - what I don't care for is the way that the 'Buffs4Life' crew has gone about it. I don't like how Embree has taken zero responsibility for putting out the worst football product in school history. There is just so much hypocrisy in their media crusade that it is frustrating.
my biggest frustration with Bohn is that he has allowed his bosses to make so many decisions for him. Hope that has changed.

my biggest frustration with Bohn is that he has allowed his bosses to make so many decisions for him. Hope that has changed.
You tell your bosses what you are going to do? There isnt an AD on the planet that will be able to go against what his bosses tell him to do.

You tell your bosses what you are going to do? There isnt an AD on the planet that will be able to go against what his bosses tell him to do.
"allowed" is the wrong word I guess. Should have said "Failed to convince his bosses to allow him to make the decision, because it is his damn job"

It seems to me that as a radio and TV personality you work to create your own brand to further your career. JK has got to be damaging his brand at this point, and he is probably too stubborn to realize it.

P.S. I only see two tags on this thread. Love to see you creative souls beef that up. Visitors who found are kicking butt with "joel klatt fat head" and "joel koatt" (which I assume is a turncoat reference).

Smartypants Ringo wants to remind everyone how he saw all these racial allegations coming. And he doesn't agree with the firing, if he hadn't made that clear already.

[h=1]Hate to say I told you so CUBuffs fans, but…[/h]Posted on November 28, 2012 by kyle
About six weeks ago during one of our Monday chats on Twitter I said if CU fired coach Jon Embree, it would have to answer why it gave a black man only two years after giving numerous white coaches much longer, including giving Dan Hawkins nearly five full seasons.
Many of you thought I was wrong or making a big deal out of nothing. Yet, here we sit with Embree’s firing being discussed on ESPN and now CNN. National columnists have weighed in over the past few days since Embree’s firing and it only seems to be getting more and more attention...

...Sure, Embree’s program got worse and he made some mistakes choosing to surround himself with inexperienced coordinators and using an offensive scheme without the talent to make that scheme work. But he also recognized those errors and was going to address them in the offseason with a scheme change and new assistant coaches.
He wasn’t even given the chance to make those adjustments. He wasn’t even given the chance to go through two full recruiting cycles.
Now people at CU and some fans of the program are actually surprised about this backlash? Seriously?
If I saw this coming, why didn’t CU officials? Did they really think the chancellor could sit in front of the cameras and say, “We didn’t hire Jon because he’s African-American and we didn’t fire Jon because he’s African-American.” And everybody would just say, ‘Oh, OK then.”
It’s too bad CU’s reputation is being dragged through the mud again after the disastrous football season. It didn’t have to be this way. But it was easy to see this coming.
http://buffzone.pmpblogs.com/2012/11/28/hate-to-say-i-told-you-so-cubuffs-fans-but/#idc-container

Smartypants Ringo wants to remind everyone how he saw all these racial allegations coming. And he doesn't agree with the firing, if he hadn't made that clear already.

http://buffzone.pmpblogs.com/2012/11/28/hate-to-say-i-told-you-so-cubuffs-fans-but/#idc-container
Ringo is a moron. Unless I've missed it, the racial allegations came from Mac and possibly Embree. I'm not hearing the head of the Black Coaches Association make any claims. I'm not hearing national news programs saying the firing was racially motivated or that race had anything to do with it. Everything I've read in context with the "racially motivated" firing has come back to ****** performance is what led to the firing.

The silver lining to the state of the program is that we've become so irrelevant all of this noise will go unnoticed nationally.

The silver lining to the state of the program is that we've become so irrelevant all of this noise will go unnoticed nationally.

That was true right up until our legendary nat'l championship winning former coach played the race card. He upped the ante significantly.

That was true right up until our legendary nat'l championship winning former coach played the race card. He upped the ante significantly.

Meh, not too worried about it, even ESPN has it buried in the CFB board. Any person that is remotely aware of CFB realizes we were the worst team in the last 10 - 15 years.

Meh, not too worried about it, even ESPN has it buried in the CFB board. Any person that is remotely aware of CFB realizes we were the worst team in the last 10 - 15 years.

I agree with Chris Fowler that those types of accusations stick - and they are damning. I think most rational people can see through the accusations, but there will be a minority (no pun intended) who actually believe it and have a negative opinion as a result...

Which is why I have absolutely no empathy for Mac. He wants to go to war - let's go to war.

He wants to go to war - let's go to war.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

I work with a fusker and he even thought the racial card is a joke..."all about wins and loses" like we care what a fusker thinks?

Back