What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking into the future - UMASS

More reason for you east coast Buffs to get your asses up there. We are going to outnumber their fans. I just hope it's more than 7 Buffs to 4 UMass fans.

My guess is that tickets will be cheap and plentiful. UMass, in Gillette, against a down team from 2000 miles away spells plenty of seats me thinks

My guess is that tickets will be cheap and plentiful. UMass, in Gillette, against a down team from 2000 miles away spells plenty of seats me thinks

Last year they averaged under 16K per game:

2013 attendance

- Sept. 7 vs. Maine: 15,624
- Sept. 21 vs. Vanderbilt: 16,419
- Oct. 12 vs. Miami: 21,707
- Oct. 26 vs. Western Michigan: 20,571
- Nov. 2 vs. Northern Illinois: 10,061
- Nov. 16 vs. Akron: 10,599
---------------
Total attendance: 94,981
Avg. attendance: 15,830.2

http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/index.ssf/2013/11/umass_football_attendance_watc_3.html

Hmm. Already on par with CSU attendance-wise. Of course Ram fan will tell you that is irrelevant.

So ram fans actually exist on more than one weekend a year and on the internet? I find that hard to believe and will need more evidence before I pay $9.95 for your newsletter.

So ram fans actually exist on more than one weekend a year and on the internet? I find that hard to believe and will need more evidence before I pay $9.95 for your newsletter.

In recent years, they have also been sighted the week of their CU basketball game. That may be a short-term phenomena, though, based on Miles getting them to the tournament 2 straight years before moving on to the greener pastures of Nebraska basketball. Another losing season this year with another beatdown from CU and they go back to only proving their existence during Labor Day weekend.

In recent years, they have also been sighted the week of their CU basketball game. That may be a short-term phenomena, though, based on Miles getting them to the tournament 2 straight years before moving on to the greener pastures of Nebraska basketball. Another losing season this year with another beatdown from CU and they go back to only proving their existence during Labor Day weekend.

yeeaaaahhhhhh.... I'm not so sure about that. Moby Arena was 1/4 CU fans when the two teams played in December. There was also a lot of empty seats.

Shhhh! You'll spook them back into hiding.

And his opinion was supported by a NFL writer, who sounded like a dip****. We're playing a game there for the NE alums in what should be a easy win. I could name at least 10 worse OOC games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go ahead...

I hope the writer is correct. Won't be on tv for me, so I just want to see blowout score updates as the Buffs move to 2-0 in front of the however-many thousands of east coast CU fans who get a rare opportunity to see the team play in person.

That game isn't designed to give CU a national stage that Saturday. It's designed to get the Buffs closer to bowl eligibility while giving some fans a game in their area and locking in two future home games as profitable wins.

I hope the writer is correct. Won't be on tv for me, so I just want to see blowout score updates as the Buffs move to 2-0 in front of the however-many thousands of east coast CU fans who get a rare opportunity to see the team play in person.

That game isn't designed to give CU a national stage that Saturday. It's designed to get the Buffs closer to bowl eligibility while giving some fans a game in their area and locking in two future home games as profitable wins.
The writer could have done a little research and answered one of the questions raised in the article ("Why is a power conference team like Colorado travelling nearly 2,000 miles across the country to take on one of the worst teams in the FBS? Seriously, anybody know? This is just a puzzling game to have on the schedule and is certainly an embarrassment for the Buffs") simply by looking at the 2-for-1 nature of the series... Advantage Buffs. But make no mistake, this game was supposed/envisioned to be televised nationally (at least regionally), and meant to be a gathering party for east coast Buffs fans who never get to see the Buffs play, so it is a bit of an inexplicable failure. Advantage fate.

As long as CU gets the win in Mass and gets their "away" part of the contract completed, then I'm all good. I do however agree that this looks pretty small time on our part. I hope we don't see much of this in the future.

As long as CU gets the win in Mass and gets their "away" part of the contract completed, then I'm all good. I do however agree that this looks pretty small time on our part. I hope we don't see much of this in the future.

Scheduling a one and done with Meatchicken and tO$U are much more small time IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The writer could have done a little research and answered one of the questions raised in the article ("Why is a power conference team like Colorado travelling nearly 2,000 miles across the country to take on one of the worst teams in the FBS? Seriously, anybody know? This is just a puzzling game to have on the schedule and is certainly an embarrassment for the Buffs") simply by looking at the 2-for-1 nature of the series... Advantage Buffs. But make no mistake, this game was supposed/envisioned to be televised nationally (at least regionally), and meant to be a gathering party for east coast Buffs fans who never get to see the Buffs play, so it is a bit of an inexplicable failure. Advantage fate.

The very fact that the writer asked those questions tells me that even an east coast NFL writer has a better grasp than Bohn of CU's status and the type of scheduling it should do. If UMass would have played in Boulder first and this was a return trip, it would have avoided the superficial analysis a bit. As it is, the writer sees CU traveling across the country to play at UMass without any context of a game having been played in Boulder.

I'll assume that the negotiation went along the lines of UMass struggling to fill its FBS schedule, especially with home games, and Bohn being willing to travel there first in order to get a 2-for-1 that helped fill the difficulties of 4-home-game Pac-12 (with 1 neutral vs CSU) years in which CU had to fill both of the remaining spots to get to 6 games in Folsom.

He's probably right. He asks the question as to why CU would travel across the country to play there, but he didn't seem to do much research into the answer, though. He neglected to mention that this was the front end of a 2 for 1 deal. There has to be a "one" in every "Two for One". His premise is correct, though. Nobody outside of the fans of these two teams gives a rip about the game.

He's probably right. He asks the question as to why CU would travel across the country to play there, but he didn't seem to do much research into the answer, though. He neglected to mention that this was the front end of a 2 for 1 deal. There has to be a "one" in every "Two for One". His premise is correct, though. Nobody outside of the fans of these two teams gives a rip about the game.

And as mentioned before it's the one in a two for one that also puts the Buffs in front of a long neglected group of alumni (and yes east coast alumni are allowed to contribute to the university as well.)

It is also being played in an NFL stadium, not some MAC teams 28k home stadium 2 hours from the nearest significant airport.

Now the important thing is that we don't go out there and lay an egg. UMass as a program is about as close as you can get to playing an FCS team without actually scheduling one. Arguably the FCS teams we played last year could be considered their equals on the field so we have to make sure we get a win.

You're still whining about a 2-1 deal?

edit: unless you're bitching about the one-off with UM. In that case, I wholeheartedly agree. That was unforgivable.

It was a joke. I don't really care strongly either way about this game. But it is a joke that it's not even televised.

It was a joke. I don't really care strongly either way about this game. But it is a joke that it's not even televised.

If it's not picked up nationally, isn't it the home team that needs to find television distribution? Of course, one would hope that CU would have negotiated a right to secure tv distribution of the game if UMass could not.

Back