What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking into the future - UMASS

Wow, you REALLY don't understand the dynamics. Have you been around there fans? What do we gain by playing them? Losing to CSU is different than losing to another school with the Denver media. CU gains NOTHING from playing CSU, even more so when it is in Denver (maybe more revenue?). Games like UMass gives CU an easy win without having to deal with CSU and the in-state stuff that goes with it. I'm never afraid of playing CSU and losing, I just despise playing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't add much. I admire and respect your hard ass boosterism tini. Just realize that as long as we are apprehensive of CSU, it's an indication that we will NEVER win 2 P12 games in a season. Step by step. Go Buffs………………..

I can't add much. I admire and respect your hard ass boosterism tini. Just realize that as long as we are apprehensive of CSU, it's an indication that we will NEVER win 2 P12 games in a season. Step by step. Go Buffs………………..
That's seriously what you pulled from my post? For real? Where in the hell have you gotten the impression that I am apprehensive of CSU? If you haven't noticed, I put CSU down at every possible chance, none of which has anything to do with how I view us going forward. Just keep ignoring the reality of the CSU game, Lammie.

From 99' - 05' we lost to CSU 3 times and were very much a B12 contender. People were very apprehensive of CSU and rightly so. Sorry Pahi tini is pretty much spot on with CSU.

You know it is a thread involving CSU if Mtn and Tini make multiple posts about how insignificant a program CSU is in football.

You know it is a thread involving CSU if Mtn and Tini make multiple posts about how insignificant a program CSU is in football.
Would you prefer more bitching about recruiting? It's the offseason and we're talking about the team we play in game 1, big deal

From 99' - 05' we lost to CSU 3 times and were very much a B12 contender. People were very apprehensive of CSU and rightly so. Sorry Pahi tini is pretty much spot on with CSU.

So we don't want to play CSU because we might lose to them. That's OK if that's the consensus, let's just be honest internally. I didn't understand that; and I do remember that era in which the Sonny Lubick Rams were pretty good. My first Buff game was in 1967. So if we don't want to play CSU I'm OK with that, but lets get MI and NE off the sked ASAP, and at least be consistent. Bill Snyder went totally 1-AA in the '80s when KSU was about where we are now and it made sense; maybe it makes sense for us.

I'll refer you to my post above. I get **** when I talk about UMass, get **** when I talk about CSU...just can't win.

I think you are getting **** because you are acting like the UMass series is so much better. Seems like a reach.

I think you are getting **** because you are acting like the UMass series is so much better. Seems like a reach.
My comments about UMass really apply to any other **** team like UNM, NMSU, Wyo (although I hope they do good every year), etc. I'm not a big fan of the UMass series. I like how it gives the east coast fans a chance to see the Buffs play. As Carolina said, everyone would be happier if we were playing a team like NCSU or Rutgers or another lower BCS east coast team but where we are at we need wins (which makes me :wtf: at the Nebraska and Michigan games). I do like the UMass series better than CSU because we avoid the **** show that goes along with the RMS. Ideally I'd like to see a front range rotation of games to replace the CSU series.

In short: Both series suck, but the CSU one sucks more

Why are we worried about Michigan and Nebraska? Either MacIntyre can coach or he cannot. Facing two middling Big 10 teams 2016 and beyond is not scary. It actually provides a great opportunity for the program. We either want to play big boy football or we do not.

Why are we worried about Michigan and Nebraska? Either MacIntyre can coach or he cannot. Facing two middling Big 10 teams 2016 and beyond is not scary. It actually provides a great opportunity for the program. We either want to play big boy football or we do not.

Michigan: A one and done game is a BIG :wtf: moment for me, that's not big boy football
Nebraska: **** ****braska

One and done is stupid, playing Michigan is not. Shooting for mediocrity through crappy scheduling is the Juicebox mentality so many fans love to mock. As I said before, only coaches and their agents benefit from the scheduling some of you seem to prefer.

I can say now, there will be beer. At least where I am. And I'll be in Foxboro. I just booked my flight. Mrs. FlaBuff and I will celebrate our 19th anniversary a bit early.

I was looking forward to this game since it was first announced, but gonna have to miss it. I go to Boston a lot, so I'll post a guide of where to go/eat/stay and drink while you are there. I can't help anyone out with Foxboro, but I can help you if you decide to stay in the city.

I'm coming and bringing 6 with me. I'm thinking this is a good weekend for the Cape, it will be pretty empty after Labor Day, which is how I like it.

I was looking forward to this game since it was first announced, but gonna have to miss it. I go to Boston a lot, so I'll post a guide of where to go/eat/stay and drink while you are there. I can't help anyone out with Foxboro, but I can help you if you decide to stay in the city.

I would appreciate that. I'm meeting up with some friends and we'd like to book hotels soon.

I can say now, there will be beer. At least where I am. And I'll be in Foxboro. I just booked my flight. Mrs. FlaBuff and I will celebrate our 19th anniversary a bit early.

Happy Eventual Anniversary Flabuff.

I'll be making the trip out from Chicago will a group of alums and also meeting up with other alums from New York, Boston and Philadelphia. Gillette has alcohol sales during UMass games and the parking is free. The tailgate scene is supposed to be pretty good and I know for a fact that the alumni association and Boston Buffs alumni chapter will be presenting one big and free CU tailgate, too. Tickets are currently on sale though the UMass ticket offices and Ticketmaster for home sideline and club level seating. $25 for 100 level and $50 for club level. You can call UMass and save some money on ticket fees and also purchase select seats on the Colorado side, but the club level will not be open on the visitor's side. CU has an allotment of tickets in sections 133-135 (probably better seats than what is available through UMass, right now) and after season ticket holders and Buff Club members have been offered, a public sale through CU will begin on the 30th of June. Gillette won't have the whole 100 level open because crowds do not support the need and hiring more ushers/security would be a waste. I also know that the CU alumni association will have other activities and events throughout the weekend and possibly some hotel deals for out of town fans. Should be a fun weekend and as close to a likely road win as we have on our 2014 schedule. It's a rare treat to have CU travel this far east to play a football game and after their last few (Georgia, Miami, Ohio State, Toledo) I think we deserve to leave with a victory.

Rugged, myself, and maybe Darth are meeting a bunch of nyc alums. This is gonna be a great weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Rugged, myself, and maybe Darth are meeting a bunch of nyc alums. This is gonna be a great weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm definitively out. GF's bday weekend. I need to get her to move that to a non-sporting time of year. However, Cal, round 2, should be pretty solid.

I would appreciate that. I'm meeting up with some friends and we'd like to book hotels soon.

I would appreciate that as well. Will be there +2. My first trip to Boston, so really looking forward to that as well as the game.

So I wrote this in the middle of the night so it may not make much sense.

This guide is for people that want to stay in or around downtown Boston. Unfortunately hotels rates are fairly high so there are no bargains to be found.

Getting here: You will want to fly into Boston Logan airport versus one of the regional airports (Providence or Manchester) unless you get a really good deal. Parking in downtown Boston is very expensive, so if possible try to avoid renting a car. I know this will make getting to the game itself a bit of a challenge, but Boston is well served by a subway and a very walkable city, so a car is not needed. An alternative is fly to NYC and taking the train from Penn station to Boston (about 4 hours), after spending some time in NYC. It is a nice and comfortable train ride that can be scenic at times.

Getting to your hotel: if you fly into Boston Logan you can access the subway system, called the T. Right outside of baggage claim (from any terminal) look for the MTBA bus which takes you to the airport subway station. You can ride the bus for free to the subway station and buy a CharlieCard at the airport station after you get off the bus. I ususally buy a 7 day pass because a one day pass is $11 and a 7 day is $18. You get unlimited rides so you can figure out how much you will actually ride. You can pay with a credit card for this.

You can also easily grab a taxi, but they can get fairly expensive, especially during rush hour. Expect to pay $30 to $50 to get to your hotel depending on the traffic. If you want to grab a cab, just look for the taxi line and jump in a cab when it is your turn. Most cabs take credit cards.

Where to stay: There are absolutely no bargains this time of year but it never hurts to look. You can book a hotel that you can cancel if you find a better deal closer to your travel date, or just find the best deal now that you can't cancel. If you want questions about a particular hotel, feel free to pm me. I have stayed in more than a dozen hotels in Boston over the past decade and definitely have my favorites. I have never stayed in cambridge, so I can't vouch for any of those hotels, and I would avoid the area known as waterfront. It can be quite a hike to get to bars/restaurants and definitely a long walk to get to the T.

So based on the deals alone, the two best hotel deals (in downtown Boston) I have found are the Mariott Copley place for $166 plus tax and hyatt regency for $220 plus tax (both on lastminutetravel.com). Neither of these hotels have any of the Boston charm but the locations are a plus. There are only a handful of locations I would stay in Boston: Back Bay, financial district, Quincy Market (AKA Faneuil Hall) and downtown. Any of these locations are close to everything and a good starting point to get the most out of your stay in Boston.

If price is not an object here are a few hotels you can consider:

Fairmont Battery Wharf - my absolute favorite hotel in Boston. The location is on a wharf in an italian neighborhood in Boston. It is a bit further to the T from the hotel, but it is right on the water and just a beautiful. I was built in the past 6 or 7 years so still fairly new. One a side note, the standard rooms are mediocre, but the suites and corner rooms are amazing.

Liberty Hotel - a converted jailhouse right on the banks of the charles river. I usually avoid staying in beacon hill, but made and exception and was rewarded. Just a unique play to stay to admire the restoration done to a building that was vacant for quite some time. Not a lot to do in the immediate area at night, but the T is across the street from the hotel. An SPG hotel if you have points/status

Hilton Financial District - a great old building with huge rooms. This was my go-to hotel in Boston before the Fairmont opened. The only downside is that it is not super close to the T, but easy walking distance to many Boston landmarks with bars and restaurants close by.

Mariott Custom House - I have never stayed here, but it is on my bucket list. Just google the name and look at the pictures. It is down the street from the Hilton, but much closer to the subway and some Boston landmarks.

other hotels that I wouldn't mind stay at again are the Copley Square Hotel and the Nine Zero and maybe the Omni, which is an old building but needs a remodel

As for hotels I would avoid at all costs, I would say the Millenium Bostonian. Amazing location, but very mediocre. Maybe it was the small rooms and small beds. The location can't be beat but this hotel wasn't great for me.

Where to eat: Boston has some good food and some unique amazing food. I tend to eat a lot of italian food in the north end, which is what little italy in NYC probably was 30 years ago. It is a colorful neighborhood of italian immigrants, cooking their family recipes. You can walk around and read the menus before deciding to sit down and have a good meal but some of my favorites are:

Neptune Oyster Bar ($40 - $50 per person) - very expensive but the best seafood I have had in my life. top rated restaurant by foodies
Antico Forno ($20 per person) - typical north end restaurant serving above average food from their brick oven
Taranta ($30 per person) - high end north end restaurant that serves italian-peruavian fusion
Galleria Umberto ($4 per person cash only) - the first dive on my list. This place is a Boston institution. They open their doors around 10:45 am and close when they run out of food. Closed on Sunday. Great place to try to get a feel of the neighborhood. A must try
Modern Pastry ($5 per person cash only) - as you see the lines of tourist at Mike's Pastry down the street, eat like a local and get your desert at Modern. Try the lobster tail pastry. It is enough for 4 or 5 people and at under $5 a total steal.
Regina Pizzeria ($10 per person) - This is a local chain and regina's is where it all started. I would not try another location because it is just not as good. Sit down, grab a beer and order a Giambatta and thank me later. You should not miss this place.

outside of the north end there are some other really good places

Chacarero ($10 per person) - Chilean sandwiches. The owner is an immigrant who started out with a food cart who made good food and was able to open his own restaurant.
Smith and Wollensky ($60 per person) - Boston has two locations, I would go to the castle location and if they have it get the cracklin pork shank, which may not be on the menu as they only have it limited times, but it will change your life. I think they server it a few times a week.
Legal's ($20 per person) - yes it is a chain, but they started in Boston and they make quality clam chowder that is consistent from location to location.
Shake Shack - my favorite burger is now in Boston and near Harvard.
There are also a lot of high end and celebrity chef owned restaurants, but I usually stick to the north end.

What to do:
Freedom trail - A self-guided walking tour to different historical significant sites. Just follow the brick trail that starts at boston common and ends at bunker hill. From Paul Revere's house to meeting houses and churches, you can get a taste of American history not found in many other american cities. Note, there are stops that cost money along the way. An alternate way to do is the freedom trail pub crawl, which is my favorite way to do it, but at a minimum stop at the Green Dragon, where Paul Revere would hang out and the Bell in Hand tavern.

Red Sox game - Fenway is a great park to catch a game and has a history that most stadiums can't match. Tickets are expensive but it is like watching baseball in a piece of history. If you can't make a game do a tour of the stadium. It is pricey, but they do a great job.

Copley Square/Newbury street - This may be the most architecturally interesting area of the city, in a city full of great architecture. Newbury Street is a outdoor shopping district from converted brownstones. You can walk down the street to admire the architecture or the people. A great place to drop your wife off for a few hours.

Harbor Cruise - great way to see the skyline of Boston and learn more about the city.

Where to drink:
Cambridge brewing - a fantastic brewery a short distance from downtown Boston.
Jacob Wirth - great beer selection in a great historic building
Bullkowski Tavern - midwest vibe in this loud dark tavern
Green Dragon and Bell in Hand Tavern - on the freedom trail. Have a beer with your history
Boston Beer Works - local brewpub that serves mediocre beer at extremely high prices. Occasional good/great beer. Locations near Fenway and the TD Center
Harpoon - I would skip this place on the weekend as it is a zoo and maybe do a tour ($5) with the free beer at the end. Think of this place as the New Belgium of New England. Some beers are good, most are mediocre and probably not worth the long walk to get there.
Sam Adams - avoid at all cost. Sam Adams beer is brewed in Ohio (I think). It takes forever to get there and you get a tour from a 23 employee who has never brewed a beer in their life.
Any one of the million irish pubs - yes find an irish pub that looks awesome and grab a pint.

I don't know what more to add but have a good time and enjoy the city that is rich with history. PM me if you have any questions.

My ideal trip would be:

Thursday: arrive in Boston late afternoon check into hotel and head to north end for dinner at Pizzeria Reginas. Stop at bars near Faneuil hall area and grab beers on the way back to hotel
Friday: wake up early and head to Boston Common to start freedom trail. grab lunch at Galleria Umberto and continue walking all the way to the Bunker Hill Memorial and climb to the top. Early dinner at Antico Forno or Neptune Oyster and then head to red sox game
Saturday: CU game!!! party in Boston after victory
Sunday: schedule a late afternoon flight. Nurse hangover with breakfast and head to Cambridge to explore harvard and grab a burger at shake shack and a few beers at cambridge brewing co. Grab chowder at the legals at the airport and head home a winner

tl;dr version:

fly into Logan, jump on bus to subway get 7 day unlimited ride pass and take the subway to your hotel, which should be location in copley square, downtown or near quincy market.
Walk the freedom trail and go to a red sox game
eat food in the north end and get drunk at a random Irish pub
go buffs

Back