What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lunardi- bracketology

So apparently Lunardi wasn't kidding last night about not moving CU up. Pummeling Oregon without our top player doesn't raise CU a single notch? **** you, Lunardi. CU an 11 seed playing Saint Louis in Dayton (no, NOT the "First Round"). Winner plays Ohio State/Valparaiso winner.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

So we're an 11 seed, playing in Ohio for the right to play Ohio State. whOregon, who we have swept is a 7 seed playing Wichita State in Auburn Hills for the right to play Meatchicken. fUCLA is a 7 seed in Lexington playing Oklahoma for the right to play Louisville in Kentucky. The Pooh Bears are a 7 seed playing Butler in Philly for the right to play Georgetown in Big East territory. And Zona is a 5 seed :)wtf:) playing Middle Tennessee in San Jose for the right to play a cross country traveling Syracuse.

Other than Zona, I'm tempted to say that Loonardi is trolling the Pac-12 here...

Not in the eyes of the world outside of the Pac-12. Splitting with ASU would have been one thing, but losing at home to a team with an RPI that hovers in the 90-100 range and a SoS in the mid-100s is not good. As for Wyoming, they have an RPI in the 70s, but that is more than overshadowed by their abysmal 4-12 MWC conference record.

The committee really should be educated enough to know that Wyo was a much different team going undefeated in OOC than they were after some injuries and a key suspension and their collapse in conference play. And frankly, if the committee knows that it doesn't make any difference what the rest of the world outside the Pac-12 thinks. None.

Not in the eyes of the world outside of the Pac-12. Splitting with ASU would have been one thing, but losing at home to a team with an RPI that hovers in the 90-100 range and a SoS in the mid-100s is not good. As for Wyoming, they have an RPI in the 70s, but that is more than overshadowed by their abysmal 4-12 MWC conference record.

Again, any committee member who does any remote research on Wyoming will see that Martinez is gone and they've had other horrible injuries as well. They simply haven't been the same team in conference play. There's a reason they started 13-0 and completely fell apart, and it's due to their team being a literal shell of what it was.

And the bottom line is any loss to a team ranked above 100 is not considered poor, and it's unlikely either 20 win ASU (despite being close at the moment) will finish below 100, and impossible Wyoming (currently 70th) will.

I wonder if our huge fan showing in ABQ last year will have the selection committee seeing $$$ and get us a little closer to home than Dayton or Philly. I really want Austin, KC, SLC, or San Jose. If we have to travel to the east coast I think that makes it all the more difficult for us in the first two rounds.

I don't buy it from the "incentive" standpoint. Those "Last 4 In" would be the "First 4 Out" if we kept the field at 64. There is more than enough incentive to keep playing hard at the end of the year.
That's a different issue of going back to 64 teams, which I don't see as a realistic possibility at this point. It's college, not pros, so naturally players are going to be playing harder but I still think it's a bit of a motivator to avoid it.

So we're an 11 seed, playing in Ohio for the right to play Ohio State. whOregon, who we have swept is a 7 seed playing Wichita State in Auburn Hills for the right to play Meatchicken. fUCLA is a 7 seed in Lexington playing Oklahoma for the right to play Louisville in Kentucky. The Pooh Bears are a 7 seed playing Butler in Philly for the right to play Georgetown in Big East territory. And Zona is a 5 seed :)wtf:) playing Middle Tennessee in San Jose for the right to play a cross country traveling Syracuse.

Other than Zona, I'm tempted to say that Loonardi is trolling the Pac-12 here...

In seasons like this, Lunardi spends most of his time fantasizing for ways that St. Joes (his alma mater and where he calls games) can sneak in (now his only hope is an auto-bid) and otherwise focusing on Northeastern teams without paying any real attention to the Pac

Wow 11 seems a little low. I figured we would be in the 8/9 type of seed depending on how well we did in the Pac 12 tourney.

I wonder if our huge fan showing in ABQ last year will have the selection committee seeing $$$ and get us a little closer to home than Dayton or Philly. I really want Austin, KC, SLC, or San Jose. If we have to travel to the east coast I think that makes it all the more difficult for us in the first two rounds.

I've been thinking the same way. They've had issues most years filling seats at a lot of the early round sites, and CU travelled great last year. Frankly, SLC would make a lot of sense, unless they don't want to put us in an arena we played in during the regular season. If they saw the fan support at the Cal and Furd games last week, San Jose might make sense too...

6 seed is the ultimate ceiling, IMO. A lot of it is perception, and for some reason, everyone has been so busy being on certain other Pac-12 teams nuts that we're largely forgotten about and stuck in this 9-11 seed spider web for weeks (and, truth be told, we partially brought it on ourselves via the Pac-12 standings)
Winning the P12 Tourney would be nice and all, but assuming we just beat Oregon State, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between 6 and 11 and we'll just be rooting for matchups. A 5th seed on the other hand is significantly better IMO.

Winning the P12 Tourney would be nice and all, but assuming we just beat Oregon State, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between 6 and 11 and we'll just be rooting for matchups. A 5th seed on the other hand is significantly better IMO.

Do not want the 5/12 game. 12's have upset more 5's in recent years then any other seed pairing.

I've been thinking the same way. They've had issues most years filling seats at a lot of the early round sites, and CU travelled great last year. Frankly, SLC would make a lot of sense, unless they don't want to put us in an arena we played in during the regular season. If they saw the fan support at the Cal and Furd games last week, San Jose might make sense too...
I could be wrong but isn't the SLC site where the Jazz play NOT the Huntsman Center?

Give me a 6 over 5 any day. JMHO. But 5 runs right into the 1 in the Sweet 16, whereas the 6 avoids the 1 until the Elite 8. And 5/12 is just as dangerous as 6/11. If the ultimate goal is the Sweet 16, then yes, 5 is a little more preferable, but man those 5/12 games are nasty affairs.

Give me a 6 over 5 any day. JMHO. But 5 runs right into the 1 in the Sweet 16, whereas the 6 avoids the 1 until the Elite 8. And 5/12 is just as dangerous as 6/11. If the ultimate goal is the Sweet 16, then yes, 5 is a little more preferable, but man those 5/12 games are nasty affairs.
I'm thinking more in terms of the first round or techincially, round 2. I'm not so concerned about anything else, survive and advance. And sure, those 5/12 matchups are nasty affairs, I think 6 and 11 won't be too much easier this year with all the parity.

San Jose locals could go either way for us. Either the feel a connection because of us hiring Coach Mac or they hate us for it.

San Jose locals could go either way for us. Either the feel a connection because of us hiring Coach Mac or they hate us for it.

If our NoCal fans can't out yell a disgruntled faction of the SJSU fanbase, they should be deeply ashamed...

If our NoCal fans can't out yell a disgruntled faction of the SJSU fanbase, they should be deeply ashamed...

As we were able to out yell the Stanford fanbase and were audible during the massacre at Cal, I don't think that will be a problem.

Correct, the SLC games are at EngergySolutions Arena which is where the Jazz play
The rule is you can't play more than THREE home games and/or Host to be able to play at that venue before the Finals, excluding Dayton in the "First Four." For example, if we played three "home" games at the Pepsi Center, we could still host a Denver game if CSU or some conference was hosting. Villanova always plays 3 home games max at Wells Fargo, the years where they can go to Philly.

Given I thought Lunardi was on full retard to still have us sitting as an 11 seed....killed some time looking at anywhere/everywhere else and general consensus I see is our Buffs in the 6-10 range as of today....Lunardi the only one to dip lower than 10...Would love to keep winning and see more 6's in the list come next week:

CBS Sports/Palm - 9 Seed http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
USA Today/Stevens - 8 Seed http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ournament-no-1-seeds-kentucky-bubble/1961713/
TeamRankings.com - 6 Seed http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/colorado-buffaloes/bracketology
Braketography.com - 6 Seed http://www.bracketography.com/
Bracketville.com - 9 Seed http://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/
Bleacher Report - 10 Seed (prior to yesterday's win) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-predictions-update-3413?search_query=bracket
Midwestsportsfans.com - 10 seed http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2013/03/ncaa-tournament-bracket-projections/

Had a fun time on the UVA board earlier explaining to them the similarities between CU 2011 and this UVA team and the implications for their chances. It is downright eerily similar. They were all highly complimentary of CU. The country is taking notice of Tad and this program, folks (everyone except Lunardi). Also got lots of sympathy about the robbery in Tucson (which I didn't bring up).

What an amazing transformation. We're discussing the pros and cons of various sites ratings and talking about obscure rules for when a team can and cannot play a tourney game in a specific location.

A few short years ago we would have been talking about the outside chance for an NIT slot, and ONLY if spring football hadn't started yet.

Wowser

Last edited:
The rule is you can't play more than THREE home games and/or Host to be able to play at that venue before the Finals, excluding Dayton in the "First Four." For example, if we played three "home" games at the Pepsi Center, we could still host a Denver game if CSU or some conference was hosting. Villanova always plays 3 home games max at Wells Fargo, the years where they can go to Philly.

That's such a stupid rule. If they don't want teams playing an essential home game in the NCAA tournament then they should make the rule something straightforward, like you can't play at any sites that are within 200 miles of your campus.

There's not a lot of respect for the Buffs by the "experts", although a big part of the problem is the team's bad losses. Losing twice to ASU, losing to Utah and losing to the Pokes really doesn't help. The only way we move up to a 6 or 7 is if we take care of business against the beavs and win at least 2 games in the tournament. Anything less and we'll end up an 8/9. Of course none of this matters if Dre really has mono. Last night's performance was spectacular, but without Dre in the lineup a one and done in the dance wouldn't surprise me at all.

We really don't have any bad losses.

That's such a stupid rule. If they don't want teams playing an essential home game in the NCAA tournament then they should make the rule something straightforward, like you can't play at any sites that are within 200 miles of your campus.
The NCAA wants to reward good playing teams with the pod system, just doesn't want them to play "home" games. The NCAA has gone more away from having games at NCAA venues anyways. They still have them at the Carrier Dome, Austin, McKale, but they're getting there less and less in favor of NBA-sized arenas.

Back