What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac will be Vic's guest on News 4 at 6:30

And I present a list of every four and five star receiver in America for the last two years of which we signed zero. On the heels of putting P Rich in the NFL with an underclassman QB, you could make an argument that the line should be long for guys wanting to come to CU, thrive under Macs O and step into the NFL in two years.:nod:

:rofl:All but 1 of those guys weren't ever looking at CU, let alone even know who JMac was. And as nik pointed out, your are incorrect with your "signed zero" statement.

Find a recruit that we lost to JMac being on the team. Your argument is empty.

Isn't that a tough burden of proof?

I don't think Rivals or any other mainstream source tracks reasons that recruit didn't pick a school.

It's not a stretch to imagine a local HS coach badmouthing CU in front of his best WR because JMac got an offer and the little petunia the HS coach is promoting did not.

It's not a stretch to imagine a college coach recruiting against CU based on its "history".

If either or both of these situations influenced a kid to go somewhere else, it would be tough to prove, but not hard to imagine.

If you want to avoid this rap, well deserved or not, you don't do it.

On the bright side, the Woman's Lax team is happy for the scholarship and we can hang our collective aspirations on JMac successfully proving the haters wrong.

I don't think Rivals or any other mainstream source tracks reasons that recruit didn't pick a school.

It's not a stretch to imagine a local HS coach badmouthing CU in front of his best WR because JMac got an offer and the little petunia the HS coach is promoting did not.

It's not a stretch to imagine a college coach recruiting against CU based on its "history".

If either or both of these situations influenced a kid to go somewhere else, it would be tough to prove, but not hard to imagine.

Proof is on the person with the wildest claim.

If you want to avoid this rap, well deserved or not, you don't do it.

On the bright side, the Woman's Lax team is happy for the scholarship and we can hang our collective aspirations on JMac successfully proving the haters wrong.

He's claiming that it hurts recruiting, I'm asking for proof. Nik offered proof that it isn't.

He's claiming that it hurts recruiting, I'm asking for proof. Nik offered proof that it isn't.

Nik provided the name of Shay Fields during only one recruiting class. Is that what you are referencing?

You can say all you want about Mac having his son on the team but the fact is, when you're boss's son is in the room, dynamics are different. I love my job, but I also need to bitch about it too. If I think everything I say will go back to the Boss and I think I can't be candid, I'd have a hard time with that. My hope is that he becomes a special teams standout and his family name becomes irrelevant.

untrue

Come on guys, pc talks to NFL players all the time. He must know.
Because of the death of a friend I am afforded the opportunity to spend two weeks a year coaching at some developmental camps. I know less than many of you.

I can't quantify a single player this has cost us. I do believe it can hurt us and strongly believe the QB situation in recent years is a by product of a poorly managed nepotism issue. I honestly don't understand why our Wide receiver recruiting is what it is, but do not think this is more than a very minor factor.

All of that said, I want Mac to succeed. I think this is one blemish on what has been a very good run so far for him.

Over the last two years I have heard negative commentary on this issue from representatives of Notre Dame, Ohio State, Utah, BYU, CSU, Wyoming, Montana State, The Detroit Lions, and Wyoming. Many of you are more of an insider than I.

I am uptight on this subject, and that is also why these guys will give me crap about it

Yeah. Didn't he hold off on accepting the Jay Mac commitment until NSD? This was managed as a "we'll sign him if there is room in the class, but if someone else we were hoping for sends in commitment paperwork the guy who gets bumped is Jay". I'm not saying that it's perfect and that there wasn't any backing off of some guys since CU had Jay in its back pocket, but it sure seems like they did all they could to do it the right way. HCMM was absolutely prepared for Jay to decide he wanted to play QB and end up somewhere else.

That's a real rosy way to look at the situation. You could also deduce that they held off on announcing Jay's commitment until signing day to avoid scaring off other targets (like Fields who committed before Jay, not after). You really believe Mac didn't know where his own son planned to go to college until the fax came through?

The only WRs to commit since Jay committed are Justin Jan and Rakestraw, so it's a reasonable concern IMO.

Last edited:
If I was listing effective strategies to employ to recruit against CU, Jay Mac's presence on the team would be pretty far down the list. Not saying it doesn't happen but there are much easier targets.

That's a real rosy way to look at the situation. You could also deduce that they held off on announcing Jay's commitment until signing day to avoid scaring off other targets (like Fields who committed before Jay, not after). You really believe Mac didn't know where his own son planned to go to college until the fax came through?

The only WRs to commit since Jay committed are Justin Jan and Rakestraw, so it's a reasonable concern IMO.

To the bold: obviously not, since I didn't say that

If I was listing effective strategies to employ to recruit against CU, Jay Mac's presence on the team would be pretty far down the list. Not saying it doesn't happen but there are much easier targets.

True, but it's also easily and immediately avoidable unlike our record over the past decade or getting facilities built.

To the bold: obviously not, since I didn't say that

I was referring to your comment about HCMM being absolutely prepared if Jay decided he wanted to play QB somewhere else. If I misunderstood that then my bad.

I was referring to your comment about HCMM being absolutely prepared if Jay decided he wanted to play QB somewhere else. If I misunderstood that then my bad.

Oh, that. HCMM said sometime during the process that if Jay wants to play QB (or play basketball) that he's got options he might choose rather than an ATH opportunity for safety or slot at CU. It sounded like HCMM stayed out of it as much as humanly possible and just tried to function as a parent rather than as a recruiter. Impossible to separate completely, but I do believe he gave space and that Jay & Mom could have made a call to go somewhere other than CU up until fairly late in the process when Jay became a silent commit who would have grayshirted if necessary.

It is unfortunate only one WR gets thrown to in a given season.

You think we'll see more balance this season? Like maybe Shay up to 65, Nelson in the 90s, and more targets to the slot?

It would be a really good thing for the offense if that would happen. That should be a natural progression of greater maturity & better reads from Sefo, if nothing else, as he grows beyond locking onto a security blanket.

Oh, that. HCMM said sometime during the process that if Jay wants to play QB (or play basketball) that he's got options he might choose rather than an ATH opportunity for safety or slot at CU. It sounded like HCMM stayed out of it as much as humanly possible and just tried to function as a parent rather than as a recruiter. Impossible to separate completely, but I do believe he gave space and that Jay & Mom could have made a call to go somewhere other than CU up until fairly late in the process when Jay became a silent commit who would have grayshirted if necessary.

That all makes sense, I just don't believe that Jay waited until signing day to make the decision to play at CU or try as a QB somewhere else, but I could be wrong.

That all makes sense, I just don't believe that Jay waited until signing day to make the decision to play at CU or try as a QB somewhere else, but I could be wrong.

I don't either. I think that HCMM waited until NSD to confirm that there was definitely a spot available for the 2014 scholarship roster.

I don't either. I think that HCMM waited until NSD to confirm that there was definitely a spot available for the 2014 scholarship roster.

Maybe. I'll feel better about the decision if Jay proves he's a legit Pac12 WR, and we find some success recruiting WRs with Jay on the team. Neither has happened...yet.

I sometimes forget that Jay Mac is on the team. I cannot imagine many other non-buff fans knowing that the coach even has a son much less that he plays for CU. Does it get used against us? Maybe, but I'd be willing to bet Lisa Simpson gets brought up more in negative recruiting than Jay Mac.

They only way Jay Mac becomes an issue is if he ends up starting in front of people who are clearly better than him. The Cody situation was an issue due to the fact everyone saw the extras that Tyler brought to the QB position. He gave the team an edge, but the head coach kept on talking about not naming a starter, and that there was a "razor hair" difference. THAT is when the coaches son becomes an issue. HCMM doesn't bring him up in conversations, doesn't talk about how well he is doing, doesn't pump him in any way.

I expect Jay Mac to be able to contribute on special teams, and that his contribution at WR will be solely based on merit. If the kid can contribute more than the guy behind him, get him on the field. I remember watching him during the pre-season practices last year and he looked like he would be able to contribute.

I sometimes forget that Jay Mac is on the team. I cannot imagine many other non-buff fans knowing that the coach even has a son much less that he plays for CU. Does it get used against us? Maybe, but I'd be willing to bet Lisa Simpson gets brought up more in negative recruiting than Jay Mac.

Eh doubt it, but still the Jay thing (if teams use it against us) was entirely self-inflicted and avoidable. When you're trying to overcome a roster that is devoid of talent and you're a below average recruiter then creating your own disadvantages, however small they might be, seems like a bad idea.

You think we'll see more balance this season? Like maybe Shay up to 65, Nelson in the 90s, and more targets to the slot?

It would be a really good thing for the offense if that would happen. That should be a natural progression of greater maturity & better reads from Sefo, if nothing else, as he grows beyond locking onto a security blanket.

I think Jay has a decent shot at taking away Spruce's catches.

CU lost 68 receptions from last year with the departures of Ty and DD. If they distribute the ball more and Shay sees an increase in targets, that's basically a wash between our top 2 targets. Somebody needs to step up in Ty and DD's absence and I think Jay Mac could do that, along with Bobo and Ross, but I don't see Spruce's numbers taking a significant hit because of it.

CU lost 68 receptions from last year with the departures of Ty and DD. If they distribute the ball more and Shay sees an increase in targets, that's basically a wash between our top 2 targets. Somebody needs to step up in Ty and DD's absence and I think Jay Mac could do that, along with Bobo and Ross, but I don't see Spruce's numbers taking a significant hit because of it.

The big wildcard here is Keeney. He might be the receiving TE we've been waiting a long time for.

Back