What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Not so fast, my friend ... (was: P12 finalizing details ....)

Unfortunately, if Texas agrees to join the PAC 12 under the same rules as everyone else, they'll be welcomed. I have not one shred of doubt about that. I appreciate Benson's statements, but Scott will be able to persuade enough of the decision makers to go along. The additional money would be nothing to sneeze at.

Benson's statements and these reports about the PAC 12 CEO's being leery of expansion just strengthen Scott's negotiating hand with Texas. Dodds is sitting with no cards and Scott is saying: "Look, I've got to satisfy nine presidents to agree to this and that will only happen with equal revenue sharing of all media rights." Will Dodds blink? I think so, but I keep praying for that Texas ego to rise up once again and queer this deal.

If they come in as an equal member, university presidents will have no issue with Texas. There's no question that UT has the academic chops.

OU has enough going for it academically that they should also be fine.

Some of the others are the hard sell for the presidents. They'd rather see KU and ISU (assuming Mizzou is going elsewhere) versus OSU and TTU.

Translation: We ****ing hate the idea of OSU and TT and think that adding them is subtraction by addition.
Exactly. I can't imagine that the 4 California schools (ranked 5, 21, 23, and 25 in latest US News rankings) are looking very favorably on letting Okie Lite (rank 132) and Tech (rank 160) into the conference. From an academic compatibility standpoint, there is no match.

Given Sacky's allegation that UT has the HIV, I'm gonna recommend saran wrap AND a condom.

UT not only has AIDS, but also herpes (aka Texas Tech)

However, Texas is like Magic Johnson, because they are rich enough that the AIDS do not affect themselves, just anyone who may come in contact with them.

Exactly. I can't imagine that the 4 California schools (ranked 5, 21, 23, and 25 in latest US News rankings) are looking very favorably on letting Okie Lite (rank 132) and Tech (rank 160) into the conference. From an academic compatibility standpoint, there is no match.
Especially when they are riding on (1) the coat tails of one school that only brings football and not much else (OU) that already sucks at academics ; and (2) the coattails of a school that is impossible to work with and wants special dispensation; and (3) There are much better options out there for schools 15 and 16.

If I'm negotiating this for the pac 12, I am smelling blood and drawing lines in the sand. Dare UT and OU to find a home elsewhere, and say NO to TT and OSU. the B1G and the $EC will NEVER take either school. The ACC just gave UT a middle finger. They have no options except staying in a near irrelevant big 12 (eventually), independence, or folding to our demands.

If I'm UT tho, I say eff no and wait for the day LS steps down and then try again.

Bohls: Powers doesn´t have authority to act on conference changes, he can only keep the status quo.

Especially when they are riding on (1) the coat tails of one school that only brings football and not much else (OU) that already sucks at academics ; and (2) the coattails of a school that is impossible to work with and wants special dispensation; and (3) There are much better options out there for schools 15 and 16.

If I'm negotiating this for the pac 12, I am smelling blood and drawing lines in the sand. Dare UT and OU to find a home elsewhere, and say NO to TT and OSU. the B1G and the $EC will NEVER take either school. The ACC just gave UT a middle finger. They have no options except staying in a near irrelevant big 12 (eventually), independence, or folding to our demands.

If I'm UT tho, I say eff no and wait for the day LS steps down and then try again.

How so?

My big hope now is that the SEC pounces on OSU.

Look at Boren´s comments in the OU BOR thread. Okie State is along for the ride with OU and OU either stays put or becomes our new neighbour on the West Coast beach.

FWIW, the SEC has *allegedly* declined WVU ... but this isn´t from a source I´d call trustworthy at this moment.

Will Dodds blink? I think so, but I keep praying for that Texas ego to rise up once again and queer this deal.

They already blinked. That's the unspoken message when they came back to the P12 after trying to get a higher bid from each and every AQ conference in the land.

But like you, I do think there is the possibility that egos get in the way. When this all started I gave the Texass to P12 result a 20-30% chance. Now I think it's around 50%. Biggest reason for that increase was that the ACC sniffed Texass and didn't even give them a full reply and instead just pushed the Red Alert button that they had craftily been holding in reserve for months. Sneaky East Coast bastages....

Texass has no viable options other than P14 and everyone knows it. They'll hem and haw but it won't budge Larry. Frankly if it were me, I'd be fading the P12/14's bid. We already know it's the best Texass has. We can decrease it some and still be their best option. The only stuff you'll see from here on out is smokescreen stuff. Blatantly false rumors designed to spin the eventual result to fan bases that otherwise would get upset. But all that spinning and dancing can result in ego damage, which is why I still only give it a 50% chance. And if Texass does balk, then too bad for them. It just means that in 2012 when they come asking once again, the offer will be for them alone without TT.

? Multiple sources saying ACC has declined the idea of "western expansion." That is partly what the taking of the new schools was for.

SEC has no need of TT, they don't do the 2 schools in 1 state thing. THey want new states. There has been NO interest in TT from any conference not the PAC. Maybe now the Big Least. As far as OSU, it does semi-fit their criteria, but now that it appears that OSU and OU are together till death and beyond, there is no hope for OSU in the SEC. IF OU turns down the PAC over OSU, then the SEC KNOWS they have OU by the balls and can pick and choose so they only get one school per state. Plus, OSU sucks. :lol:

? Multiple sources saying ACC has declined the idea of "western expansion." That is partly what the taking of the new schools was for.

SEC has no need of TT, they don't do the 2 schools in 1 state thing. THey want new states. There has been NO interest in TT from any conference not the PAC. Maybe now the Big Least. As far as OSU, it does semi-fit their criteria, but now that it appears that OSU and OU are together till death and beyond, there is no hope for OSU in the SEC. IF OU turns down the PAC over OSU, then the SEC KNOWS they have OU by the balls and can pick and choose so they only get one school per state. Plus, OSU sucks. :lol:

Cool about the ACC speculation. Gives UT less leverage to apply for Pac12 membership on their terms (as well leverage to bring TTU).

OU still remains to be the bigger case. If Big1G doesn't want the Oklahoma schools because of academics and the assumption that SEC won't take two schools from the same state, this gives OU less leverage to drag okie lite to Pac12. I like this. So next question is, would ACC scoop either/both Oklahoma schools?

I am not advocating this, but if it is going to happen, I think the Pac 12 needs to be firm on OU/UT only get invites. It is obvious that the schools are starting to get serious about who really deserves an invite. Time to give the ultimatum. Take or leave it.

Cool about the ACC speculation. Gives UT less leverage to apply for Pac12 membership on their terms (as well leverage to bring TTU).

OU still remains to be the bigger case. If Big1G doesn't want the Oklahoma schools because of academics and the assumption that SEC won't take two schools from the same state, this gives OU less leverage to drag okie lite to Pac12. I like this. So next question is, would ACC scoop either/both Oklahoma schools?

Maybe we'll get lucky and the SEC will get to 16 through Mizzou, West Virginia, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. As long as OSU lands in a BCS conference, OU will be free to go without them. The Okie legislature won't be happy about it, but they'll live with it.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see OU and UT kiss and make up and re-stock the B12 with three new schools. At the end of the day, that's the thing that makes the most sense. Neither of them would be a cultural fit anywhere else.

maybee we will get lucky and the P12 and B10 will avoid all of this silly nonsense, while everyone else trips over themselves to expand. Then 5 years down the line when the rest have botched the gig and another realignment craze starts off. We can cherrypick anyone we want if we want.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see OU and UT kiss and make up and re-stock the B12 with three new schools. At the end of the day, that's the thing that makes the most sense. Neither of them would be a cultural fit anywhere else.

And they can start with TCU who may be out in the cold with the Big East. I imagine that BYU would still be interested, so there are two quality programs right there.

And they can start with TCU who may be out in the cold with the Big East. I imagine that BYU would still be interested, so there are two quality programs right there.

If they do try to add teams, it will be like when the Big East lost Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College. Sure, you can bring in Louisville, USF and Cincinnati to keep the conference together, but you're not nearly the elite conference you had been.

Agreed. Those are two very solid programs. Add Houston or NM, get your conference back to 12 and call it good.

Other than OU leaving, the big domino that would cause the Big Tex to crumble would be Missouri leaving for the SEC (or the Big 10 going to 14 through Notre Dame and Missouri).

Other than OU leaving, the big domino that would cause the Big Tex to crumble would be Missouri leaving for the SEC (or the Big 10 going to 14 through Notre Dame and Missouri).

i thought the b10 didn't want mizzery.

Depending on the next moves and specifically the timing of those moves, UT could be presiding over the snow white and the 7 or nine dwarfs conference. ND has to be thinking B1G, BYU is probably scrambling, TCU is checking their Big East contract. Too many egos, too much money and too much greed is driving what would be like a morning waking up with a coyote ugly ...what did I just do!

Back