What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Not so fast, my friend ... (was: P12 finalizing details ....)

It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see OU and UT kiss and make up and re-stock the B12 with three new schools. At the end of the day, that's the thing that makes the most sense. Neither of them would be a cultural fit anywhere else.

I agree. This reminds me a lot of last year. Everyone was reporting the PAC was a done deal, and it turns out the big 12 had a plan the whole time. Dan Beebe must be up to something, because he has not said anything publicly.

who is going to go with ND to the Big 10? or are they going to stick at 13 since 11 worked so well for them all these years.

While poaching, the ACC got member approval to increase exit fees to $20M. Anyone know if the Big East tried anything like this, were they caught on the ****ter or did members just not approve since they were splitting anyway?

While poaching, the ACC got member approval to increase exit fees to $20M. Anyone know if the Big East tried anything like this, were they caught on the ****ter or did members just not approve since they were splitting anyway?

Supposedly, Pitt was one of the two schools that was taking the lead on the initiative to hold the conference together. I think that answers all questions about Big East solidarity.

who is going to go with ND to the Big 10? or are they going to stick at 13 since 11 worked so well for them all these years.

Perhaps they're following the SEC model of having 13 teams knowing one will be on probation every year....this way you can have two 6-team divisions of bowl eligible teams in a given year. Smart move.

Good article. Comments about Colorado were interesting. Mostly good, but of course you've got a couple idots in the bunch that think Colorado is irrelevant because we haven't been good in football since 2004. I'd say 2001, since winning 3 of the last 4 Big 12 North titles before the HaLkins error started isn't something we brag about. We were a bit above mediocre by our standards and just happened to be among 6 teams that were mediocre or worse. Anyway, the Ducks do have that annoying segment of their fans who don't want to remember that college football existed before Phil Knight showed up with a fat check and Akilii Smith showed up in Eugene. Most of them aren't that way, though.

Is Kansas totally out of this thing? I would rather see them in before TacoTech. The only Texas school that is interesting is UT. The rest are nothing more than tag alongs.

What about AFA or Hawaii? Both of those would be better than Tech or Baylor or Kstate.

Is Kansas totally out of this thing? I would rather see them in before TacoTech. The only Texas school that is interesting is UT. The rest are nothing more than tag alongs. What about AFA or Hawaii? Both of those would be better than Tech or Baylor or Kstate.

Kansas isn't out of it. But they can't replace TT unfortunately. Rather Kansas could be an alternate #15 if the Okies come aboard and Texass does not.

Hawaii is out. Nasty travel expenses for non-revenue generating sports. Can't have that in this day and age. AFA has no good media footprint to add and thus just dilutes per school revenue.

The only way I see us as being able to shed TT is if Texass doesn't join this time, but rather next year. Say P12 adds the Okies and stays pat. SEC strips off Mizz to go to 14. ACC adds UConn and Rutgers. Remnants of BigE and Little6 merge. After one season of absolute crappy games, LHN still has no major service provider carrying the channel. ESPN taps Texass and says it's sick of absorbing LHN's massive burn rate. Texass says it's sick of watching Texas home recruits talking about playing vs. real competition in the SEC & P14. Texass calls Larry and asks him to refresh the bid. Larry says hold on, we just invited Kansas for #15.

Kansas isn't out of it. But they can't replace TT unfortunately. Rather Kansas could be an alternate #15 if the Okies come aboard and Texass does not.

Hawaii is out. Nasty travel expenses for non-revenue generating sports. Can't have that in this day and age. AFA has no good media footprint to add and thus just dilutes per school revenue.

The only way I see us as being able to shed TT is if Texass doesn't join this time, but rather next year. Say P12 adds the Okies and stays pat. SEC strips off Mizz to go to 14. ACC adds UConn and Rutgers. Remnants of BigE and Little6 merge. After one season of absolute crappy games, LHN still has no major service provider carrying the channel. ESPN taps Texass and says it's sick of absorbing LHN's massive burn rate. Texass says it's sick of watching Texas home recruits talking about playing vs. real competition in the SEC & P14. Texass calls Larry and asks him to refresh the bid. Larry says hold on, we just invited Kansas for #15.
texas ou and ku mizzou could be a pairing

Chip Brown indicating that Texas Tech may receive an invite to join A&M in the SEC. Also, according to Brown, the ACC told Texas they'd take them, but not as a package deal with Texas Tech (due to crappy academics).

So....I'm not sure why the Pac-16 should feel some obligation to take Tech if nobody else wants them. I'm wondering why Larry Scott isn't focused on a package deal with Texas and Texas A&M (instead of Tech). All signs point to the Aggies going to the SEC, but the deal clearly isn't done yet.

Chip Brown indicating that Texas Tech may receive an invite to join A&M in the SEC. Also, according to Brown, the ACC told Texas they'd take them, but not as a package deal with Texas Tech (due to crappy academics).

So....I'm not sure why the Pac-16 should feel some obligation to take Tech if nobody else wants them. I'm wondering why Larry Scott isn't focused on a package deal with Texas and Texas A&M (instead of Tech). All signs point to the Aggies going to the SEC, but the deal clearly isn't done yet.

A&M doesn't 'fit' in the PAC- they didn't want to come West a year ago.

Last edited:
A&M doesn't 'fit' in the PAC- they didn't wane to come West a year ago.

"The West" is a strange place of faraway lore where they don't where Hitler Youth uniforms with funny boots and grab each other's balls. Who wants to be in a place without tradition?

Chip Brown indicating that Texas Tech may receive an invite to join A&M in the SEC. Also, according to Brown, the ACC told Texas they'd take them, but not as a package deal with Texas Tech (due to crappy academics). So....I'm not sure why the Pac-16 should feel some obligation to take Tech if nobody else wants them. I'm wondering why Larry Scott isn't focused on a package deal with Texas and Texas A&M (instead of Tech). All signs point to the Aggies going to the SEC, but the deal clearly isn't done yet.
Anyone else think that if the Longhorn Minister of Information is saying that Tech might get a SEC invite, UT might be considering bolting sans TT?

"The West" is a strange place of faraway lore where they don't where Hitler Youth uniforms with funny boots and grab each other's balls. Who wants to be in a place without tradition?

I thought you had a tradition of correct grammar and spelling...

I thought you had a tradition of correct grammar and spelling...

I really don't. I find that I mix my homophones all of the time. I just write what I hear in my head. And my computer at work doesn't permit me to edit posts (no idea why) so once I hit "reply" I'm stuck with it.

The SEC is actually running out of options to get to 16 with the ACC schools off the table. West Virginia and Missouri are solid adds, but that leaves a choice between Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, and Louisville for team #16. Tech doesn't look that horrible in that picture.

Big Ten also is getting boxed out by the ACC expansion, leaving only Rutgers in the east as a viable option, otherwise they would have to look into some combination of Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Iowa State.

Notre Dame has said they would prefer ACC over Big Ten if they joined a conference, and the ACC saying they want Texas by themselves spells this out. Their #1 aim for team 15 & 16 is Texas-Notre Dame. If Texas says no then they will see if adding Rutgers will land them Notre Dame. If the Irish still refuse then they can add two of Rutgers, UConn, or Louisville and still be OK.

The Pac would love to "demand" Texas-Oklahoma-Kansas-Missouri but those schools all have options and the politicians will go to bat for little brother in each of those states that have one.

If the Pac is willing to take Tech and Okie Lite, it can land both Texas-Oklahoma. If not, then there is no superconference for the Pac. Not saying that is a bad thing, but I do believe that there is a private push to put the 4 superconference idea into motion and eliminate the current BCS format. Who knows if that will be allowed to work with 1 or 2 16-team superconferences and 1 or 2 12-team conferences with two "low-end" near-BCS type conference amalgams still in existence.

I'm not sure why the SEC needs to get to 16. They need 14 to have a functional schedule. Does anyone think that a 14 team SEC would be left out of some sort of super-playoff with 3 other 16 team conferences. They'd still be better than a PAC-16, BIG-16, or ACC-16.

I wouldn't be so sure that the ACC schools are off the table for moving to the SEC. The chances are definitely less now that the ACC has increased their buyout but it's not off the table.

What the hell, Snow?

There is no other game in town in the west. The PAC12 is it. No need to go to 16. Keep Texas out!

? Multiple sources saying ACC has declined the idea of "western expansion." That is partly what the taking of the new schools was for.

SEC has no need of TT, they don't do the 2 schools in 1 state thing. THey want new states. There has been NO interest in TT from any conference not the PAC. Maybe now the Big Least. As far as OSU, it does semi-fit their criteria, but now that it appears that OSU and OU are together till death and beyond, there is no hope for OSU in the SEC. IF OU turns down the PAC over OSU, then the SEC KNOWS they have OU by the balls and can pick and choose so they only get one school per state. Plus, OSU sucks. :lol:

No arguing your last statement, but the SEC has lots of example of two schools in a state (Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee), and Oklahoma has enough repeating vowels to make a 4th. Why hasn't Missouri been invited yet? UT, OU, and OSU would make an already powerful conference just dominating.

I agree. This reminds me a lot of last year. Everyone was reporting the PAC was a done deal, and it turns out the big 12 had a plan the whole time. Dan Beebe must be up to something, because he has not said anything publicly.

Here you go, from ESPN:

"The actions taken today by the governing boards of the universities of Oklahoma and Texas was anticipated," Beebe said in a statement. "It is my opinion that the case for the Big 12 Conference continues to be as strong today for all of our current members as it was last year, especially considering the welfare of those to whom we owe the greatest responsibility -- the student-athletes."

Just as strong a case for the Big 12 as last year - I'd say that's a fair statement. :lol:

I really don't. I find that I mix my homophones all of the time. I just write what I hear in my head. And my computer at work doesn't permit me to edit posts (no idea why) so once I hit "reply" I'm stuck with it.

Just blowing you crap. And with the repeal of DADT, you are now free to mix your homophones!

Dan Beebe must be up to something, because he has not said anything publicly.

I wouldn't hold up Dan Beebe's silence as proof that the mastermind is up to something behind the scenes. He's lost 3 of his original 12 schools and the other 2 biggies are teetering on the brink of leaving.

There's a lot of chatter surrounding Notre Dame to the ACC right now.

There are a lot of reasons this would make sense to Notre Dame. They're truly a national program and may be the one program that sees playing almost all its games within a limited regional geography as a major negative. Being in a conference with top academics, recruiting grounds that stretch from Florida up to New England, a revenue plan that has flexibility for 3rd tier rights, and strong Olympic sports is very appealing to the Irish.

This could happen.

There is no reason for the Big 10 or Pac 12 to expand. If those two conferences stay at 12, it really doesn't matter what others do, there will be no 4 superconference playoff system because there is no way that the Big 10 and Pac 12 are left out of that conversation.

Everything can be done on our terms. No rush here. Just wait and see. No reason to make any moves in the near future... let's just enjoy watching other schools (Tejas in particular) freak out about being left behind. They belong far, far away from the Pac:nod:

There's a lot of chatter surrounding Notre Dame to the ACC right now.

There are a lot of reasons this would make sense to Notre Dame. They're truly a national program and may be the one program that sees playing almost all its games within a limited regional geography as a major negative. Being in a conference with top academics, recruiting grounds that stretch from Florida up to New England, a revenue plan that has flexibility for 3rd tier rights, and strong Olympic sports is very appealing to the Irish.

This could happen.

So sorta lame is married to NBC and the ACC is tied to espin, right? Could be a true consideration or it could be sorta lame posturing for dollars.

Yes, a true conference affiliation for nd would give them a road to a BCS bowl auto berth, but let's remember that they already have ridiculous concessions from the bcs, et al, as it is. What is it -- 9 wins and ranked in the top 15 = auto consideration for an at-large bcs bid?

Your point on the other sports and flexibility of rights are well taken nik. And I'm almost embarrassed to say that I didn't see this coming; i.e., sorta lame making noise on the conference-realignment front. Shudda known they couldn't keep quite.

Back