What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

I believe that Tennessee likes to be turned down by Jon Gruden before turning to other candidates. ;)

Disclaimer: The words below could range anywhere from 100 percent false to 100 percent true. Saturday Down South is NOT reporting these rumors as fact, just simply relaying what a crazy (or maybe not so crazy?) fan is hearing:

Take it as you will, but multiple insiders on Vol Nation and now Volquest are murmuring that Gruden looks like a very real possibility. Apparently Gruden had a dinner Friday with important people, in which Tennessee essentially asked him to name his price. The idea is that the search team, from the Neyland Foundation to Manning and Fulmer, have admitted to Gruden they messed up in 2012 and are not pursuing other options until he either says yes or no.

A Gruden HC/ Jim Bob Cooter OC with JBC inheriting the gig once Gruden leaves no longer seems like a pipe dream. [Insiders] have stated that Gruden has already started looking for assistants. I’d link the relevant forums but this all came to me through a conversation with a friend in the admin office and my brother, who is a Tennessee forum addict. Just relaying the info I’ve received.

FWIW (if anything)

Leach has never been a job hopper. I think he enjoys what he is doing and is not motivated by the next big thing. I like and respect Leach - would not want him as CU's HC but college football needs him.

Yeah I see that as a pretty big reach, especially with all of the good coaches out there right now. Seems like Tennessee could have either Charlie Strong, Scott Frost or Chad Morris if they wanted so why go out on a limb for an older NFL coach?

Is John Gruden even really that appealing any more, especially for a college team? Guy has been out of coaching for almost a decade and has not coached at the college level in nearly three decades.
Would immediately be the biggest name in the college game and I'd imagine that would reflect in both recruiting, as well as the staff he's able to assemble. Other than that, hard to say whether he'd actually be good at coaching.

Would immediately be the biggest name in the college game and I'd imagine that would reflect in both recruiting, as well as the staff he's able to assemble. Other than that, hard to say whether he'd actually be good at coaching.

He would be one of the biggest names in college football.

The guy has not even been a head coach since safety and practice protocols were changed at the NFL level, let alone how different those protocols are at the college level. Seems like an attempt to just hire the name.

If he was going to get back into coaching, I would think it would be in the NFL. He is making big time bucks with ESPN and last I heard, he had no desire to get back into coaching. I would think a School would need to name him the highest paid college coach of all time for him to even look at it.

Has Jon Gruden ever been a college coach? He's been out of the NFL for what, 8 years? What's the attraction there? I think that would be a huge risk for Tennessee - or anybody else - to take.

What's his connection to JJ? Asking out of ignorance.
They’re supposed to be good friends since the 90s and since Miles worked for the Cowboys. There were some rumors that Miles might flee to Arkansas while he was still a coach at LSU.

I think their best pitch is that the division is favorably set up. They outrecruit all those teams and shouldn’t be having the problems they’ve been having. Should be an easy route to the conference championship even if they get blown out there.

Their delusional fanbase is an issue tho. We have anonymous coaches calling the job crappy and radio guys are saying they’d prefer G5 jobs over working in Lincoln. Their next hire has to be one of the most intriguing job searches in all sports. It will tell us a lot about where they are and where they’re going. Maybe the money is enough to get a big hire or maybe Frost wants to come back bad enough. But if they end up with another Riley type hire, then we can close the book on their program. ^_^

Gruden has been out of college coaching so long that the second to last college team he coached, Pacific, dropped their football team.... 22 YEARS AGO.

Been quite a bit of time.

God Nebraska used to kill those poor guys. 22 years ago or not, you don't tend to forget those ass whippings. Nebraska should've never changed how they played on O for sure, D too.

Forde camp out with a coaching carousel article today with some names for certain schools:
Tennessee: Justin Fuente, Schiano, Scott Frost, Mike Norvell, Dave Doeren, Jeff Brohn and Matt Campbell
Nebraska: Frost, Leach, Sumlin, Bielma, Schiano and Joe Moorhead (very gloomy picture painted by Forde on that one)
Oregon State: Beau Baldwin, Ken Niumatalolo, Jonathan Smith
Ole Miss: Macintyre, Leach, Skip Holtz, Troy Calhoun

Back