What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Forde camp out with a coaching carousel article today with some names for certain schools:
Tennessee: Justin Fuente, Schiano, Scott Frost, Mike Norvell, Dave Doeren, Jeff Brohn and Matt Campbell
Nebraska: Frost, Leach, Sumlin, Bielma, Schiano and Joe Moorhead (very gloomy picture painted by Forde on that one)
Oregon State: Beau Baldwin, Ken Niumatalolo, Jonathan Smith
Ole Miss: Macintyre, Leach, Skip Holtz, Troy Calhoun
I know he was there for awhile but why would anyone take the Ole Miss job right now?

I know he was there for awhile but why would anyone take the Ole Miss job right now?
Not sure. The expectations will be low and it will be looked at as a rebuild so if a coach goes in there and turns it around while the pressure is low he will have built up some serious equity with the fan base. Obviously the money is great but it is the worst job in the division so who knows.

I think they'll get the hammer dropped on them, hope the money is worth it.
It will be even more worth it if the hammer is dropped. A **** load of money plus a giant, built in, completely believable and legitimate scapegoat that is a. not you and b. on which you can place 100% of the blame for losing 10 games a year for the next 3 years? Sign me up!

Not sure. The expectations will be low and it will be looked at as a rebuild so if a coach goes in there and turns it around while the pressure is low he will have built up some serious equity with the fan base. Obviously the money is great but it is the worst job in the division so who knows.
Yes - turning around a team that is one of the worst in FBS and getting 10 wins would be a tremendous achievement. Clearly that would build some equity with the fans so they don't turn on him the next year when the team is 4-3 half way through the season.

Last edited:
It will be even more worth it if the hammer is dropped. A **** load of money plus a giant, built in, completely believable and legitimate scapegoat that is a. not you and b. on which you can place 100% of the blame for losing 10 games a year for the next 3 years? Sign me up!

Losing games does not help him, regardless of "legitimate scapegoat" or not. Pretty clear pathway to ending up at the G5 level.

Losing games does not help him, regardless of "legitimate scapegoat" or not. Pretty clear pathway to ending up at the G5 level.
I'm not talking about career progression, and I'm not talking about a particular coach at all.

I'm talking about cash, and just about any coach simply taking the job for the money.

I'm talking about getting a contract that pays well enough that if you can stay in it for 3 years, you're set for life. And you know you can stay in it for at least 3 years because of the wonderful built-in excuse you have for losing so many games.

After that, you can do what you want. Live on a beach and fish everyday. Or if you want to continue to coach, go coach at a G5 or even FCS school with no pressure to win at all except what you bring on yourself. You've made your money, now you can focus on the stuff that you enjoy most about coaching football: teaching the game and helping young men grow up.

Niumatalolo to Oregon State would suck for the rest of the Pac12. Having to plan for the triple option once a year... ugh.

Niumatalolo to Oregon State would suck for the rest of the Pac12. Having to plan for the triple option once a year... ugh.

Lots of fun prepping for him and the Pirate on consecutive weeks. Even though the concepts are actually based on similar concepts.

I'm not talking about career progression, and I'm not talking about a particular coach at all.

I'm talking about cash, and just about any coach simply taking the job for the money.

I'm talking about getting a contract that pays well enough that if you can stay in it for 3 years, you're set for life. And you know you can stay in it for at least 3 years because of the wonderful built-in excuse you have for losing so many games.

After that, you can do what you want. Live on a beach and fish everyday. Or if you want to continue to coach, go coach at a G5 or even FCS school with no pressure to win at all except what you bring on yourself. You've made your money, now you can focus on the stuff that you enjoy most about coaching football: teaching the game and helping young men grow up.
Get what you're saying but hard to kill that competitive nature. Maybe I'm just talking about myself I suppose but I'd think Mac has that right? I like the ocean and fishing idea but my unlucky ass would catch a shark, book it lol.

Ole Miss job has to be one of the worst in the SEC, but I could still see him leaving for that job. He now knows exactly how crazy CU can be and the nonsense that comes from the school sometimes.

I’ve got confidence in RG though. If MikeMac leaves, we’ll find someone good.

Ole Miss job has to be one of the worst in the SEC, but I could still see him leaving for that job. He now knows exactly how crazy CU can be and the nonsense that comes from the school sometimes.

I’ve got confidence in RG though. If MikeMac leaves, we’ll find someone good.

I don't think MM wants out of Boulder as badly as Bobo wants out of Fort Collins. His name will come up there tol

Whoever takes that job will get a longer term deal with a lot of security. They know they're gonna get hammered.

MM ain’t going to Ole Miss. Tennessee... that’s a different story but I don’t think he’s a big enough name for them to consider him yet.

I do not think MacIntyre is as hot of a commodity as fans on this board think. I do think MacIntyre is smart enough to know he will get eaten alive in the SEC. IMO, he does not have the personality. Forde is just writing an article and throwing names on the wall - if he throws enough names he will be right eventually.

Back