What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Bowl Games Thread

kickerblammo.0.gif

Can't get enough of this hit on Baylor's kicker.

Awe. Some.

Here's that play by the Minnesota TE I was talking about earlier:

71351e90-91f1-11e4-8798-854159d2f180_MaxxWilliamsHurdle.gif

Here's that play by the Minnesota TE I was talking about earlier:

71351e90-91f1-11e4-8798-854159d2f180_MaxxWilliamsHurdle.gif

At one point an Oregon TE decided to not go down and initial contact, turn up field and walk an extra four yards with what appeared to be an entire FSU defense clinging to him. It made me jealous.

At one point an Oregon TE decided to not go down and initial contact, turn up field and walk an extra four yards with what appeared to be an entire FSU defense clinging to him. It made me jealous.

Have you thought of just asking the FSU defense if they will climb all over you? It is not like they are doing anything.

Calling all playoff haters, what do you think now?

OK, you asked for it.

I feel nothing different. The games have been good, I still don't see any reason why college football needs a deterministic process to select a "national champ". I still believe that playoffs will ultimately be a bad thing for the sport, as it diminishes the most important regular season in all of sports and even more greatly diminishes the emphasis on performance in-conference.

Ask FSU and Alabama fans what's on their minds about 2 weeks from now (give time for the sting to wear off): are they more excited about their recent conference championship, where they demonstrated superiority over teams with comparable academic standards, recruiting territories, athletic budgets, etc...? Or are they more depressed about losing a post-season game to a team from another conference with different academic standards, different recruiting territories, etc...?

So, tell me whether or not you think playoffs takes the emphasis off of how a team performs in conference and moves the emphasis to how the team plays in the post-season against other conferences?

I feel nothing different. The games have been good, but if you must declare a national champ, do you really think it belongs to a team that lost to an unranked team during the regular season? or do those regular season games now have significantly diminished importance relative to the post-season games? Again, I see no need to have a consensus national champ, but if you look at all the champs selected by the AP or Coaches bowl prior to 1998 (first year of the quasi-playoff BSA), even considering both teams in years of split polls, only once in the previous 20 years was this title given in a season where they lost to an unranked team -- we're guaranteed to see that changed this year. Early season losses don't hurt a team like they used to.

So, tell me whether or not you think playoffs takes the emphasis off of regular season games? does it take the focus of having a "perfect season" and put the focus on "have a good season and get hot at the end"?

peace

Last edited:
OK, you asked for it.

I feel nothing different. The games have been good, I still don't see any reason why college football needs a deterministic process to select a "national champ". I still believe that playoffs will ultimately be a bad thing for the sport, as it diminishes the most important regular season in all of sports and even more greatly diminishes the emphasis on performance in-conference.

To the first bolded point; of course we need a deterministic way to crown a champion- this is a competition after all.

To the second; please ask TCU how unimportant and trivial the regular season is. Due to what is unfolding I believe that we see P5 schools increasing their SOS in the coming years.

OK, you asked for it.

Ask FSU and Alabama fans what's on their minds about 2 weeks from now (give time for the sting to wear off): are they more excited about their recent conference championship, where they demonstrated superiority over teams with comparable academic standards, recruiting territories, athletic budgets, etc...? Or are they more depressed about losing a post-season game to a team from another conference with different academic standards, different recruiting territories, etc...?

So, tell me whether or not you think playoffs takes the emphasis off of how a team performs in conference and moves the emphasis to how the team plays in the post-season against other conferences?

I feel nothing different. The games have been good, but if you must declare a national champ, do you really think it belongs to a team that lost to an unranked team during the regular season? or do those regular season games now have significantly diminished importance relative to the post-season games? Again, I see no need to have a consensus national champ, but if you look at all the champs selected by the AP or Coaches bowl prior to 1998 (first year of the quasi-playoff BSA), even considering both teams in years of split polls, only once in the previous 20 years was this title given in a season where they lost to an unranked team -- we're guaranteed to see that changed this year. Early season losses don't hurt a team like they used to.

So, tell me whether or not you think playoffs takes the emphasis off of regular season games? does it take the focus of having a "perfect season" and put the focus on "have a good season and get hot at the end"?

peace
OK, let me ask you again, what makes CFB so much different than any other sport? Why is there a playoff in every sport in the world (and please don't site some bogus soccer league in Lithuania where there is no playoff). PLEASE give me an example of playoffs hurting any other sport. Under the old system FSU would have played Alabama in the MNC title game, when they were both clearly exposed as frauds yesterday, but I suppose that wouldn't have bothered you. Sorry my friend, your logic makes no sense. Thank god for the playoff, the old system was clearly a sham. Sanity prevails!!

war

OK, you asked for it.

peace
:lol: Gotta give you credit , you are at least consistent.

To the first bolded point; of course we need a deterministic way to crown a champion- this is a competition after all.

To the second; please ask TCU how unimportant and trivial the regular season is. Due to what is unfolding I believe that we see P5 schools increasing their SOS in the coming years.

<sarcasm>hard to argue with logic like this.</sarcasm> seriously, there's only three talking points I ever hear playoff proponents spout:

1. there's big money in playoffs (yes, for the networks. I've seen nothing to convince the total money to the schools will increase under this model).
2. this sort of autistic response of "we can't tolerate subjectivity. we must have a deterministic method!" (the strongest argument I've seen, although it loses points for utterly lacking in logic and resorting to a purely emotional appeal)
3. "every other sport has one, so college football should too" (come on, most of us are college graduates here -- we don't have to fall into the trap of familiarity just seems best, do we?).

regarding TCU, you raise one of the strongest arguments in favor of ditching the playoffs and reverting to the old system. I think TCU fans would have a very positive feeling about their 2014 season in a non-playoff scenario. TCU fans would be high-fiving, celebrating their conference championship, as well as making rings and t-shirts declaring themselves "national champs" while getting into trash talking discussion with fans of all the other 1-loss teams over who was college football's 'national champ'. The debate would continue into the summer months over who was really the best team, increasing interest in the next season of college football.

OK, you asked for it.

peace

i think you pigeonholed yourself here and do not believe what you are saying anymore

OK, you asked for it.

peace

I respect your opinion... but I feel like this is non-sensical

I like things simple.

Current system = better games, more fun and the simplicity of one team holding up the trophy at the end because it won the tournament.

Impossible to get rid of the subjectivity of selection or avoid upsets that keep the "best team" from winning the tournament. I'm ok with that. It's less subjective than before when all the political, media and regional bias came into play along with the bowl games preventing certain teams from playing. The old system sucked.

OK, you asked for it.

peace
:lol:
wait-wat.jpg

Twenty years from now people will find it hard to comprehend that at one point we didn't have a playoff and we left it up to voters/computers to tell us who should play for a championship.

<sarcasm>hard to argue with logic like this.</sarcasm> seriously, there's only three talking points I ever hear playoff proponents spout:

1. there's big money in playoffs (yes, for the networks. I've seen nothing to convince the total money to the schools will increase under this model).
2. this sort of autistic response of "we can't tolerate subjectivity. we must have a deterministic method!" (the strongest argument I've seen, although it loses points for utterly lacking in logic and resorting to a purely emotional appeal)
3. "every other sport has one, so college football should too" (come on, most of us are college graduates here -- we don't have to fall into the trap of familiarity just seems best, do we?).

regarding TCU, you raise one of the strongest arguments in favor of ditching the playoffs and reverting to the old system. I think TCU fans would have a very positive feeling about their 2014 season in a non-playoff scenario. TCU fans would be high-fiving, celebrating their conference championship, as well as making rings and t-shirts declaring themselves "national champs" while getting into trash talking discussion with fans of all the other 1-loss teams over who was college football's 'national champ'. The debate would continue into the summer months over who was really the best team, increasing interest in the next season of college football.
Let me understand, arguing over a flawed system is better for CFB than trying to fix it?

i think hokie´s main issue isn´t the playoff, but rather the fact there´s a national champion

i think hokie´s main issue isn´t the playoff, but rather the fact there´s a national champion
and the top award for reading comprehension goes to Jens1893!

Let me understand, arguing over a flawed system is better for CFB than trying to fix it?
no. I don't believe there was anything that needed to be fixed (until the BSA came along)

that's about as much logic as I typically see from the playoff advocates. Come on, you can do better.

Twenty years from now people will find it hard to comprehend that at one point we didn't have a playoff and we left it up to voters/computers to tell us who should play for a championship.
or, in 20 years, they'll look back and say "man, those conferences had such hugely different academic standards, recruiting territories, athletic budgets -- who the hell thought that crowing one champion among the whole bunch made any sense? this isn't the pros where they have a draft and a salary cap and the same rule book that applied to every team."

and the top award for reading comprehension goes to Jens1893!

no. I don't believe there was anything that needed to be fixed (until the BSA came along)

that's about as much logic as I typically see from the playoff advocates. Come on, you can do better.

or, in 20 years, they'll look back and say "man, those conferences had such hugely different academic standards, recruiting territories, athletic budgets -- who the hell thought that crowing one champion among the whole bunch made any sense? this isn't the pros where they have a draft and a salary cap and the same rule book that applied to every team."
Are you really a BYU fan pretending to be a Utah fan pretending to be a VT fan sent to annoy us?

Are you really a BYU fan pretending to be a Utah fan pretending to be a VT fan sent to annoy us?

Even if you disagree with all my points, I think I've demonstrated a much higher capacity for logic and reason than you'll ever get from a BYU fan.

Back