What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official NCAA Tourney & Allbuffs Bracket Challenge Thread

$ into the cu coffers im ok with result....dux play hard and have been tough in crunch time all year long...ucla and zona were the "pretty boys" of pac 12 all year....dux were the ballers

As much as they say it doesn't, image matters.

The ducks makking the final four this year could be the difference in a bubble CU making the tourney next year or in seeding.

The PAC needs as solid finish in the tourney and Oregon is the least likely of the current top schools to turn it into long term success.

I guess it's good that we won't have to hear how long it's been sine the Pac-12 put a team in the Final Four (UCLA under Howland).

It grinds my gears, though, to think that the Buffs had enough to beat Xavier when they had Sumner and to beat Oregon when they had Boucher, but bonehededness caused losses to ASU, Washington and Washington State (and, really, USC and BYU) or this was a team that would have been Dancing.

Hey ... it means not only did we beat two teams that made it to the Elite Eight ... but now we have beaten a Final Four team as well. I think that's pretty cool, even if it leads to a conclusion as to "what could have been" if we'd actually had any real senior leadership other than DW this season.

I'm sure that at least one poster might have a problem with that sentiment ... but since he hasn't bothered to show up much in the past few seasons until very recently ... he can go **** himself.

Tad deserves a nice pat on the back and a gold star for the season ! The NCAA should just expand the tournament and let every team in since I'm sure you're a big fan of participation trophies . Why don't you go jerk off to The 2012 PAC 12 championship run ? Give me a break about that sentiment because sure they beat these teams but like Nik said , they lost to some equally bad teams . A tournament championship and a few first weekend loses in the tourney shouldn't grant Tad a pass on criticism . Sorry, if that offends you, snowflake

Last edited:
Tad deserves a nice pat on the back and a gold star for the season ! The NCAA should just expand the tournament and let every team in since I'm sure you're a big fan of participation trophies . Why don't you go jerk off to The 2012 PAC 12 championship run ? Give me a break about that sentiment because sure they beat these teams but like Nik said , they lost to some equally bad teams . A tournament championship and a few first weekend loses in the tourney shouldn't grant Tad a pass on criticism . Sorry, if that offends you, snowflake
What?? You've got issues

In case you missed it, no one on here has said that he/she was pleased with the results of this season. For most of us, though, our criticism comes from a foundation of recognizing that CU men's basketball averaging 20+ wins a year and usually getting to the Dance is a higher level than the historical performance of this program and that has earned Tad quite a bit of rope to try to grow it to the next level and also means we're not going to over-react when a season or two don't reach expectations.

Tad is one of the best basketball coaches CU has ever had, but if we can't even win one game in the NIT, the buffs had no place in making the tourney, regardless of which teams they beat during the regular season.

Tad is one of the best basketball coaches CU has ever had, but if we can't even win one game in the NIT, the buffs had no place in making the tourney, regardless of which teams they beat during the regular season.

In fairness there, we got a horrible draw. UCF is in NYC in the NIT Final Four. Of all the teams that made the NIT, they were probably playing the best basketball (right there with GA Tech and TCU -- also in the Final Four). I feel confident in saying that the Buffs would have beat most teams in that NIT field.

I think great gets thrown around too loosely. There are very few coaching right now I'd consider great. I could count them on one had, at least in basketball. Tad is still building that rep, it's not really fair to quit on his progress right now. Hopefully, it continues.

I think great gets thrown around too loosely. There are very few coaching right now I'd consider great. I could count them on one had, at least in basketball. Tad is still building that rep, it's not really fair to quit on his progress right now. Hopefully, it continues.

On that note, do we consider any of the coaches in the Pac-12 "great". I think we've got a number of really good coaches. Maybe a couple like Miller and Altman we could call "great", but don't seem to rise up to the level of "elite" where any program in the country would love to have them and mortgage the farm to get them.

I don't think any of the serious posters here are saying the Buffs resume this year belonged in the tournament. Most of us are saying who they beat during the regular season is indicative of what they were capable of and how disappointing the final results were.

It grinds my gears, though, to think that the Buffs had enough to beat Xavier when they had Sumner and to beat Oregon when they had Boucher, but bonehededness caused losses to ASU, Washington and Washington State (and, really, USC and BYU) or this was a team that would have been Dancing.

This is what I was getting at in the right kind of dogs thread. Have to have some kids be the junkyard dogs and put the nasty streak in the team. They did not have that in the seniors this year and it hurt the team. Culture of the program needs to evolve and change. Too many things were more important than not losing this year and that is a killer for a team. Talent is part of it but this team had enough talent just not enough desire, toughness and meanness. Soft is another way to describe the team

On that note, do we consider any of the coaches in the Pac-12 "great". I think we've got a number of really good coaches. Maybe a couple like Miller and Altman we could call "great", but don't seem to rise up to the level of "elite" where any program in the country would love to have them and mortgage the farm to get them.
That's the question, Idk really, I'd lean towards no. "Elite" is even less people, probably K, Pitino, Williams, not many more. If you want to use "great," those two you mentioned probably cover the Pac12.

In case you missed it, no one on here has said that he/she was pleased with the results of this season. For most of us, though, our criticism comes from a foundation of recognizing that CU men's basketball averaging 20+ wins a year and usually getting to the Dance is a higher level than the historical performance of this program and that has earned Tad quite a bit of rope to try to grow it to the next level and also means we're not going to over-react when a season or two don't reach expectations.

With that said , if these expectations continue to be missed when is it okay to criticize Tad ? I get what he has built and where the program was but to me it looks like the progress has plateaued.

Exactly .

With that said , if these expectations continue to be missed when is it okay to criticize Tad ? I get what he has built and where the program was but to me it looks like the progress has plateaued.

It's ok to criticize Tad right now. He's a big boy with a very public job making a boatload of money. Comes with the territory. And we're all criticizing him right now. I think that you and others go off the reservation, though. Here's why: I hear people who criticize all of the following: Tad's recruiting, Tad's player development, Tad's systems, and Tad's in-game coaching. When you bitch about all those things, you're off the reservation. Because if he's bad at all that stuff, the only explanation for him delivering winning seasons and playing in the post-season every year is that he's the luckiest mother****er on the planet. Therefore, the depth and vehemence of the criticism is over-the-top, ridiculous, and ignorant.

I don't think any of the serious posters here are saying the Buffs resume this year belonged in the tournament. Most of us are saying who they beat during the regular season is indicative of what they were capable of and how disappointing the final results were.
CU does indeed have potential every year, but what on earth is causing this team to start 0-7 in conference play and lose games that we should be winning? I don't get it.. I know leadership was not the greatest this year but what will change going forward?

CU does indeed have potential every year, but what on earth is causing this team to start 0-7 in conference play and lose games that we should be winning? I don't get it.. I know leadership was not the greatest this year but what will change going forward?
Read Nik's posts, damn good place to start man.

I suspect that Martin's South Carolina locker room is not a pleasant place to be after giving up 40 points in the 1st half.

Josh Perkins made a great decision going to Gonzaga. He's getting developed the right way. Playing for a #1 seed with a chance to win it all.

Would have loved him on the buffs but this program looks descending right now. Smart move by him.

Josh Perkins made a great decision going to Gonzaga. He's getting developed the right way. Playing for a #1 seed with a chance to win it all.

Would have loved him on the buffs but this program looks descending right now. Smart move by him.
So, what's your agenda?

I've noticed that every team now has a guy wearing the number "0." Are these the super star guys? For some reason (says conservative old man) it bugs me. It smacks as drawing attention to oneself. Or is it more like the captain wearing the "C" on his jersey in hockey?

What was @Buffnik saying earlier on a different thread about the junkyard dogs. These S. Carolina kids went after every loose ball, contested every shot and every pass. They played the entire second half like it was the final possession, those guys earned this win and trip to the final four.

What was @Buffnik saying earlier on a different thread about the junkyard dogs. These S. Carolina kids went after every loose ball, contested every shot and every pass. They played the entire second half like it was the final possession, those guys earned this win and trip to the final four.
He's right and you gotta give credit to their coach as well. Those young men bring it, play hard all game long. You're right too, they damn sure earned it.

In fairness there, we got a horrible draw. UCF is in NYC in the NIT Final Four. Of all the teams that made the NIT, they were probably playing the best basketball (right there with GA Tech and TCU -- also in the Final Four). I feel confident in saying that the Buffs would have beat most teams in that NIT field.
Agree that UCF was a challenge, in spite of what seemed like a bit of initially overconfident fan reaction to playing a sort of no-name directional school coached by Dawkins - and we could have pulled it off - but the biggest challenge was getting a 5-seed meaning no home NIT games. Does anyone think UCF would have won at CEC? We might have pulled off a road win somewhere in NIT land, but the odds were against us regardless of the specific opponent. I believe CEC gives the Buffs about 20 points compared with road games, all else being equal.

To point out he made a great decision for him that has him playing for a championship

He did. Starting when he decided to leave the state his senior year to get out from under Dom's shadow. Has worked out great for him and it's so nice to see, especially after the way he went down early his freshman year with the injury.

Back