What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practice Thread

Something that really stuck out to me about the stats last year and someone please correct me if I have these wrong. We were 11th in yards given up but 5th in scoring defense in the league and on offense it was flipped, 5th in yards and 11th in scoring. Obviously those defensive numbers were probably helped by the garbage OOC schedule we played but those offensive numbers have to get better, that is really annoying especially when there were so many missed opportunities with drops on big plays that would have skipped the red zone all together.

Same will be said of Stenstrom and Evans. I think Evans will become the better of those two and Stenstrom is out. All speculation of course.
I think you're right. I've seen Evans throw in workouts and he's just on a different level.

I think you're right. I've seen Evans throw in workouts and he's just on a different level.
Same will be said of Stenstrom and Evans. I think Evans will become the better of those two and Stenstrom is out. All speculation of course.
Hopefully by the time Evans gets here, MM is willing to actually go with a young QB (or we have a new coach who will).

Something that really stuck out to me about the stats last year and someone please correct me if I have these wrong. We were 11th in yards given up but 5th in scoring defense in the league and on offense it was flipped, 5th in yards and 11th in scoring. Obviously those defensive numbers were probably helped by the garbage OOC schedule we played but those offensive numbers have to get better, that is really annoying especially when there were so many missed opportunities with drops on big plays that would have skipped the red zone all together.
The defense was very bend but don’t break last year and did seem to play better in the red zone.

So what are your big takeaways from Spring practices? Mine:

1. Jake Moretti being healthy enough to practice.

2. The emergence of Chris Miller at CB.

3. Alex Fontenot establishing himself as the #1 RB.
I thought it was a big deal that Akil Jones got an award for his improvement at LB. I was pretty negative on him not stepping up heading into fall camp last year because I'd counted on that depth. He's got the tools to be really good and we need him to take some of the strain off Gamboa & Lewis who both played way too many snaps last year.

Also that we are, once again, going to be banking on our WR group to be one of the tops in the country (hopefully this time it's for real).

Mustafa Johnson looks to be an early contributor, if not starter.

1. The pace of play and offensive creativity to get the ball in space to playmakers.

2. The hot mess that is the OL.

3. Mustafa, Lang, Landman, Falo and Miller.

Not buying into the Moretti thing at all, so far.

I thought it was a big deal that Akil Jones got an award for his improvement at LB. I was pretty negative on him not stepping up heading into fall camp last year because I'd counted on that depth. He's got the tools to be really good and we need him to take some of the strain off Gamboa & Lewis who both played way too many snaps last year.

My thing with Jones... who else was really going to get that award? I hope he is finally ready to be a contributor, but I am skeptical.

Also that we are, once again, going to be banking on our WR group to be one of the tops in the country (hopefully this time it's for real).

Mustafa Johnson looks to be an early contributor, if not starter.

Johnson definitely getting a lot of run. Good to see.

1. The pace of play and offensive creativity to get the ball in space to playmakers.

2. The hot mess that is the OL.

3. Mustafa, Lang, Landman, Falo and Miller.

Not buying into the Moretti thing at all, so far.

I agree with a lot of this... but what exactly do you mean about Moretti? Him being on the field and a regular participant is really all you need to "buy" at the moment.

Oversold in media and with MM for where he is. He does not dominate in my opinion, yet.

Still has physical limitations which may or may not fully heal.

For example shield block on play away. DL disengages. He can’t keep contact or balance with feet. Goes down.

I hope he plays. If he does, it’s a plus.

Oversold in media and with MM for where he is. He does not dominate in my opinion, yet.

Still has physical limitations which may or may not fully heal.

For example shield block on play away. DL disengages. He can’t keep contact or balance with feet. Goes down.

I hope he plays. If he does, it’s a plus.

No one has mentioned domination in regards to Moretti except you.

My biggest takeaway is that the ‘17 class can/will be truly special for us. We all knew Shenault, Landman, Nixon, Lang, and Chris Miller were seriously underrated talents that could contribute very early. But it’s the rest of the class stepping up that’s starting to put it over the top.

Callier, Poplawski, Sparaco, and Lytle are the next group of players who seem ready to contribute in some way. Encouraging news about Poplawski on 247 + it seems like Callier and Sparaco are constantly competing to become every down players (or at least contribute in some way). Lytle looked very good for a RS freshman on Saturday.

Sherman and Moretti were likely early contributors if everything went right and it looks like that may happen. Need Polley and Ray to get back to being 100% and there’s been some encouraging info about Paige moving around the OL as a backup. At the very least, I don’t think we will have as bad of an OL as we’ve had before with this grouping.

But it’s the lowest rated guys who are starting to get mentioned that has me pumped. Carson Wells made a nice play on Saturday and Jalen Sami has been getting some mentions this off-season as a beast. I didn’t notice Isaiah Lewis on Saturday but he’s impressed me before and he’s made a few plays this camp.

#CUin17 :)

Moretti is definitely #1... maybe even #2 as well. Miller emerging is big as well. Fonfenout at 3 doesn't make much sense to me as we have McMillian coming in. At 3 I would have "the Weight of Lang and Edwards." Lang went up and fixed up his massive build, Edwards went down and fixed up his massive build. I see the progression on the DL and the emergence of Landman to be the 3/4 biggest things.

My biggest takeaway is that the ‘17 class can/will be truly special for us. We all knew Shenault, Landman, Nixon, Lang, and Chris Miller were seriously underrated talents that could contribute very early. But it’s the rest of the class stepping up that’s starting to put it over the top.

Callier, Poplawski, Sparaco, and Lytle are the next group of players who seem ready to contribute in some way. Encouraging news about Poplawski on 247 + it seems like Callier and Sparaco are constantly competing to become every down players (or at least contribute in some way). Lytle looked very good for a RS freshman on Saturday.

Sherman and Moretti were likely early contributors if everything went right and it looks like that may happen. Need Polley and Ray to get back to being 100% and there’s been some encouraging info about Paige moving around the OL as a backup. At the very least, I don’t think we will have as bad of an OL as we’ve had before with this grouping.

But it’s the lowest rated guys who are starting to get mentioned that has me pumped. Carson Wells made a nice play on Saturday and Jalen Sami has been getting some mentions this off-season as a beast. I didn’t notice Isaiah Lewis on Saturday but he’s impressed me before and he’s made a few plays this camp.

#CUin17 :)

Definitely some positive signs. On the flip side, that 2016 class... yeesh.

Definitely some positive signs. On the flip side, that 2016 class... yeesh.
2016 class is marred in it's disappointments. Baham, Huntley, Julmisse and Maka are gone, Bisharat has a ways to go, Yuck!

But there will be some guys we are seriously relying on this year from that class

Winfree and Ento will tear it up
Pursell starting at Center
Udoffia and Blackmon will be in the rotation

and this class is providing some quality Depth
A. Jones, Noyer, Bisharat

It's still a little early to consider it an overall bust of a class.

It’s hard to take away much when the info coming out of camp is so guarded.

Moretti playing is a plus. I still hope to see a lot more from Sherman and Polley by the time Fall Camp finishes up. Those three are going to be very important to the progression of the OL for the next three years. Each seems to have his own set of issues that he needs to get through.

With McMillan coming in, Fontenot probably won’t get the majority of snaps at RB, but has at least shown the ability to step in and take over in spot duty.

Special teams always concern me, but I have to admit they’ve gotten progressively better since Nienas was shown the door. I hope we can continue that trend. We finally have a kicker we can depend on, which seems like a luxury. Increased speed and talent at the returner positions should help there, too.
Defense looks to be seriously improved over last year. It’s always hard to know if that’s due to ineptitude on offense, though.

Probably not the best place to put this but, for those of you like myself who have been wanting CU to join the 21st century on the social media front well here we go.

Does she report to Plati, MM or RG?

Back