What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recap of CU-Cal

Your recaps have been fantastic. Keep it up, and thanks as always for supporting CU on the road.

Will do. Repping CU on the road has gotten more enjoyable in bball. And our fans are always great to talk to. We might not be seen as ambassadors of the game, but we bring character and passion most teams are trying to emulate these days.

And I think the fan in the stands recap is better than anything we would read from Ringo, Henderson, etc. I always look for them after games before I check buffzone.

Will do. Repping CU on the road has gotten more enjoyable in bball. And our fans are always great to talk to. We might not be seen as ambassadors of the game, but we bring character and passion most teams are trying to emulate these days.

And I think the fan in the stands recap is better than anything we would read from Ringo, Henderson, etc. I always look for them after games before I check buffzone.

Hope our Buffs get put in Salt Lake, San Jose or Kansas City (minus having to play KU there), but if we do get sent to Lexington or Philadelphia, I'll be doing everything I can to make it to the games.

And yes, our fans have a lot to be proud of. There's room for improvement, but we're making giant strides. We've certainly impressed (and maybe shocked/pissed off) Pac-12 opponents when our fans show up in force and start making noise in their gyms. The Buff chants at Stanford drowning out their fans were audible throughout, and while Cal's fans are actually showing up in recent weeks, you could still hear some Buff chants at times. Impressive considering how poorly we played. You certainly wouldn't be hearing that in the reverse from opposing fans at the Keg these days. Add in the student support last year at the Pac-12 Tournament coupled with SoCal Buffs showing up in force, it made quite an impression. We'll no doubt have a sizable contingent in Vegas. And, it's easy to forget sometimes, this is a rebuilding year for us with one of the youngest groups in the country. Scary to think how good we're seemingly on the verge of becoming.

I must have missed it again, who's your rival? I mean they have to consider you one too, which obviously Nebraska doesn't. Do you have one? Just curious.

It's a bummer you don't have a rival. Huge part of college sports is having that intense rivalry. Each school looking forward to playing each other with equal ardor. Maybe you can develop one with Utah.

All I'm saying is thus far, there has yet to be a reason for me to exert any time. On a scale of witty trolling 1-10, he's scoring a 1.5. Sure, I could go into deep detail on Big 8 rivalries, Sal is Dead Go Big Red, Huskers and their continuing obsession with CU, CSU's delusions, geography, the history with Utah and where that stands, the other budding Pac-12 rivalries, the nature of the conference switch, and naturally, turn things back on Cal and laugh at you a little more for your epic failures in major sports. (but hey, I'm sure that fiery passion of those "Big Games" between 1-10 Cal and 2-9 Stanford involving 17,000 fans sitting on their hands eating arugula sure was one fiery, passionate rivalry! That's some big time athletics right there!) Btw, flukes, you incidentally crushed his own argument when he first started, by posting right after him and completely contradicting him. Clearly this thread has struck a nerve with little luxie. I genuinely fear he's honestly angry and upset, but his methods are barely above Husky or Duck trolling at this point.

I agree with you mostly CVille, but I have to admit, I think fiatlux is ADORABLE! He's trying really hard here and searching for that button that's gonna get us all riled up, and I think it's pretty stinking cute. I'm gonna dignify his attempts with a little bit of an answer. A teenie one just for funsies.

1. fiatlux, (so darn cute!), typically when a team leaves a conference, conference-mates don't say nice things about them. Ever. Nobody had a nice thing to say about nebraska when they left the Big XII either. Not a single one that I heard. aTm is still getting hate for leaving the Big XII and just the other day, even Dodds was piling on Mizzou in public. What possible incentive would there be to say something nice about a departing team?

2. A big part of the nebraska fan base's identity was explaining to anyone who would listen that we were not their rival. They were especially fond of explaining that one point--again and again--on our CU Fan sites and in the remarks sections of our Colorado newspapers. Their point was that the W/L was so lopsided (admittedly) that it couldn't be a real rivalry. Also (and I heard this one A LOT), they hated us too much to be our rivals. Think about that for a minute. They hated us too much to be our rivals.

3. Of course for a number of years Colorado and nebraska played the marques game, the Friday after Thanksgiving. Oh, and nebraska has torn down their goal posts more times following a victory against CU than against any other team (yeah, yeah, they got more chances...got it). Also, interestingly (as already pointed out) Oklahoma didn't really consider nebraska to be their rival. Nebraska talks about their rivalry with Oklahoma being built on respect (not hate), but I've never known a fan from Oklahoma to admit that he/she knew what the **** nebraska fans were talking about.

4. But here's where I get to my real point. You suggest that both teams have to agree to the rivalry. I disagree. That nebraska didn't consider it a rivalry (hint: they did, really) didn't diminish my gameday experience one bit. Because I believed it to be a rivalry. And I hated that self-congratulatory, obsequious, runza-fed fanbase with every ounce of my being (still do). Do they really have to reciprocate for it to matter? Or can I treat every Friday after Thanksgiving as my own personal Christmas without that emotion being validated by a bunch of red-polyester-wearing cadavers? I'd argue that the hate that lies in my heart requires no validation from anybody else--it's belongs to me--and even if I approach(ed) each nebraska game day like some retarded guy, who didn't know he was retarded, cheering quixotically in a rivalry that was unrequited, the emotion heightened my personal football experience and that is all that mattered.

5. Finally, thank you so much for stopping by and participating in the conversation, luxie. You're welcome here anytime. Next time it would be super if you posted pictures of your tits, though.

I'd argue that the hate that lies in my heart requires no validation from anybody else--it's belongs to me--and even if I approach(ed) each nebraska game day like some retarded guy, who didn't know he was retarded, cheering quixotically in a rivalry that was unrequited, the emotion heightened my personal football experience and that is all that mattered.

Wow! Well said, Orr. Repped!

I agree with you mostly CVille, but I have to admit, I think fiatlux is ADORABLE! He's trying really hard here and searching for that button that's gonna get us all riled up, and I think it's pretty stinking cute. I'm gonna dignify his attempts with a little bit of an answer. A teenie one just for funsies.

1. fiatlux, (so darn cute!), typically when a team leaves a conference, conference-mates don't say nice things about them. Ever. Nobody had a nice thing to say about nebraska when they left the Big XII either. Not a single one that I heard. aTm is still getting hate for leaving the Big XII and just the other day, even Dodds was piling on Mizzou in public. What possible incentive would there be to say something nice about a departing team?

2. A big part of the nebraska fan base's identity was explaining to anyone who would listen that we were not their rival. They were especially fond of explaining that one point--again and again--on our CU Fan sites and in the remarks sections of our Colorado newspapers. Their point was that the W/L was so lopsided (admittedly) that it couldn't be a real rivalry. Also (and I heard this one A LOT), they hated us too much to be our rivals. Think about that for a minute. They hated us too much to be our rivals.

3. Of course for a number of years Colorado and nebraska played the marques game, the Friday after Thanksgiving. Oh, and nebraska has torn down their goal posts more times following a victory against CU than against any other team (yeah, yeah, they got more chances...got it). Also, interestingly (as already pointed out) Oklahoma didn't really consider nebraska to be their rival. Nebraska talks about their rivalry with Oklahoma being built on respect (not hate), but I've never known a fan from Oklahoma to admit that he/she knew what the **** nebraska fans were talking about.

4. But here's where I get to my real point. You suggest that both teams have to agree to the rivalry. I disagree. That nebraska didn't consider it a rivalry (hint: they did, really) didn't diminish my gameday experience one bit. Because I believed it to be a rivalry. And I hated that self-congratulatory, obsequious, runza-fed fanbase with every ounce of my being (still do). Do they really have to reciprocate for it to matter? Or can I treat every Friday after Thanksgiving as my own personal Christmas without that emotion being validated by a bunch of red-polyester-wearing cadavers? I'd argue that the hate that lies in my heart requires no validation from anybody else--it's belongs to me--and even if I approach(ed) each nebraska game day like some retarded guy, who didn't know he was retarded, cheering quixotically in a rivalry that was unrequited, the emotion heightened my personal football experience and that is all that mattered.

5. Finally, thank you so much for stopping by and participating in the conversation, luxie. You're welcome here anytime. Next time it would be super if you posted pictures of your tits, though.

It's adorable... no that's not the word I'm looking for... It's sad and sort of pathetic, that's it... that you just can't answer the question probably because the question doesn't have an answer... I remember back in the 80s when Bill McCartney arbitrarily circled Nebraska on the schedule. That was actually cute, in a desperate way... you know "Hey look at us.. come on SOMEONE look at us..." LOL... oh my.

Like I said, now that Utah's not playing BYU anymore - now THAT was a great mountain states rivalry - maybe you can circle them on your calendar and get something going with them. That's my gift to you. You're welcome.

Okay, there's something else that's on my mind.

I want evidence of the intellectual superiority of the Cal grads. I admit to monitoring their "Sob. CU fans don't like us" thread on Bearinsider; it's mostly a lot of talk about academic rankings, but it lacks the clever insights that I would expect from the fans which graduated from the number one public university on the whole ****ing planet.

Look, if you log onto Shaggybevo (and I have spent a lot of time there) you are struck by three things. One, Texas fans are giant ****ing assholes. Two, Texas fans are giant ****ing assholes. And three, the posters on Shaggy are witty, insightful, funny and many are really ****ing smart on a variety of topics (and also they're assholes). It leaves me with the impression that UT is probably an excellent school.

But I'm not left with that impression on the Cal board so far. Granted, my sampling is pretty limited, but I would have thought that somebody who graduated from the number one ranked public university on the whole ****ing planet would have posted something that sounded smart by now.

Alright, I concede that Liverflukes does a pretty good job, but you have to remember that he was accepted to Stanford, so we all expect a little more from him.

And don't throw any of that "what have you ever posted that's so ****ing smart" nonsense at me. I graduated from the 42nd (tied with Central Arkansas Academy for Refrigerator Repair in Little Rock) ranked public university. At Allbuffs we only have to chew on rocks and piss ourselves to realize the destiny that was ordained the day we accepted our invitation to attend our safety school in Boulder.

Nope. The burden of proof is on Cal grads. So are any of you assholes gonna say something that sounds either smart or witty at any point?

It's adorable... no that's not the word I'm looking for... It's sad and sort of pathetic, that's it... that you just can't answer the question probably because the question doesn't have an answer... I remember back in the 80s when Bill McCartney arbitrarily circled Nebraska on the schedule. That was actually cute, in a desperate way... you know "Hey look at us.. come on SOMEONE look at us..." LOL... oh my.

Like I said, now that Utah's not playing BYU anymore - now THAT was a great mountain states rivalry - maybe you can circle them on your calendar and get something going with them. That's my gift to you. You're welcome.

Clearly the definition of "arbitrary" eludes you. We circled nebraska because they were the best, and that's what we wanted to be, and it worked. When McCartney was done, we challenged for the Big 8 crown every year.

Notice that we're in the Pac now, our big debate is whether to set our sights on USC, or Oregon or especially Stanford. Cal isn't really in that discussion.

Nothing sad or pathetic about it. In fact we've had many discussion on Allbuffs how nice it is to be in a conference where we don't have a lot of smoldering distaste for the other fan bases. Except for maybe Washington, they've all been great (okay, USC sucks, but hasn't really emerged on the boards yet). I really like the Pac experience and don't feel the need to contrive a rivalry with Utah to heighten that experience. Nebraska fans earned the hate. So far, nobody in the Pac had done that.

Oddly, I partial to Cal fans. You guys have a good group, even if a bit quirky about academic rankings. The Stanford guys were great too.

I like this fiatlux guy. I've always said "CU has no rival." It is refreshing to hear similar statements coming from someone with no loyalty to the program.

Thanks Fiat.

I also like that he choose his name just to piss off TBD.

Nope. The burden of proof is on Cal grads. So are any of you assholes gonna say something that sounds either smart or witty at any point?
We're not smart or witty enough for you? The burden of proof typically lies with the accuser does it not? So prove it and while you're at it bring me a sammitch and a beer. I'm busy running a company here and stewing on how my Bears are gonna rip Stanford and win at least a share of the Pac title. BTW, I got accepted into that expensive ass finishing school for little entitled beotches too.

We're not smart or witty enough for you? The burden of proof typically lies with the accuser does it not? So prove it and while you're at it bring me a sammitch and a beer. I'm busy running a company here and stewing on how my Bears are gonna rip Stanford and win at least a share of the Pac title. BTW, I got accepted into that expensive ass finishing school for little entitled beotches too.

Nobody expects us to be witty or smart, nor do we spend inordinate amounts of time discussing our relative academic rankings, so we've got nothing to prove.

Show me that million dollar intellect, 'cause I've got a pretty good idea about that five cent degree of yours.

Edit: You know that it makes it even funnier to CU fans that when Cal insecurities regarding Stanford are alleged, Cal fans immediately point out that they also got into Stanford.

Last edited:
Notice that we're in the Pac now, our big debate is whether to set our sights on USC, or Oregon or especially Stanford. Cal isn't really in that discussion.

This is actually cute.

I remember when we announced conference expansion and taking CU and Utah because we thought we'd be getting Texas too... and then when that didn't happen most people saying "Wait a second, now that Texas isn't a part of it we're still doing this?" But it's nice, people like Boulder and SLC for a road trip.

It's also cute that since you don't have a rival it's understandable you don't really know how they work best... see, because of conference alignment you don't play Oregon and Stanfurd every year, which makes it a little tough... but I like what you tried to do there. It's cute.

You keep working on the rivalry with SC... I'm sure they'll set aside us and UCLA and Stanford and Notre Dame to make room for you... oh man, I can't even type that without laughing.

Ah, you're fun... in a puppy nipping at the bottom of my pants sort of way. We see you down there. Now here's a treat.

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to post on our site as well as Cal boards. You seem really important but I am assuming that anyone that owns their own clown rape business would be important when you are not busy eating ****** sandwiches that ever asshole tourist that goes to new York eats or surfing the web.

This is actually cute.

I remember when we announced conference expansion and taking CU and Utah because we thought we'd be getting Texas too... and then when that didn't happen most people saying "Wait a second, now that Texas isn't a part of it we're still doing this?" But it's nice, people like Boulder and SLC for a road trip.

It's also cute that since you don't have a rival it's understandable you don't really know how they work best... see, because of conference alignment you don't play Oregon and Stanfurd every year, which makes it a little tough... but I like what you tried to do there. It's cute.

You keep working on the rivalry with SC... I'm sure they'll set aside us and UCLA and Stanford and Notre Dame to make room for you... oh man, I can't even type that without laughing.

Ah, you're fun... in a puppy nipping at the bottom of my pants sort of way. We see you down there. Now here's a treat.

You type "cute" way too much... and it's not cute

This is actually cute.

Believe it or not, you can strive to beat a team even if they're not your rival. Maybe that's conceptually where Cal has gone wrong over the years.

oh hey, thread. Interesting stuff here. Honestly, these whiny little cal fans have been pretty well handled so far. I've got nothing to add. Strange that the Stanford fans took more doing.

This is actually cute.

I like the move towards big-timing that usually gets CU fans going; unfortunately it only really works when you have a ton to big-time us on.

UCLA could do it in Basketball, Arizona too, although they've been nothing but great about the red-letter game with them, they want our best shot. In football at some point when we are not the worst we have ever been USC could do it well (right now though we are so terrible they'd just laugh). Nebraska though was real they were great when we were great, 2 top ten teams playing each other great, CU teams that lost no conference games in 3 years great, Nebraska teams that were arguably the best ever great. They may claim it wasnt a rivalry but nothing ruined their season more than a CU loss.

Cal on the other hand has: Baseball (we dont play it and your cross town rival is historically much better), Rugby (does anyone besides Cal give scholarships for this?), Swimming (very good of late, again we dont play, Stanford also very good), waterpolo (more of the same), this goes on.

Really the one place you have us is that you could big-time us is the academics thing, except that really doesn't work because a lot of us don't care, and for those that do all we have to say is "Furd" and you guys go into a tizzy.

Nobody expects us to be witty or smart, nor do we spend inordinate amounts of time discussing our relative academic rankings, so we've got nothing to prove.

Show me that million dollar intellect, 'cause I've got a pretty good idea about that five cent degree of yours.

Edit: You know that it makes it even funnier to CU fans that when Cal insecurities regarding Stanford are alleged, Cal fans immediately point out that they also got into Stanford.

So glad to see that you're living up to your low expectations you web warrior you. Read some more Anthony Bourdain. Really, your snarkiness might improve.

Sharp of you to avoid conversations about your relative academic ranking. If I were you, I would too. CU is a fine school with many smart graduates. It's just that NO CAL GRADUATE would ever have considered going to school there. That's fine, your town is a lovely place to smoke weed for four or five years in, if that's your thing.

Think we're insecure about our prestige relative to Stanford? Yes, some of are because we care about being better than our rival in everything. If you had one, you might understand.

And no. You have no idea about my degree and the pride, sense of accomplishment and prestige it brings me. You'd never understand how it feels when people stop me as I travel the world wearing my Cal gear and ask me in astonishment "Did you go to Cal?"

Academic smack talk works better when the conversation isn't so clearly one sided. Perhaps you can engage some Sun Devils on that topic?

So let's return to sports. Congratulations on your Pac 12 BB Championship last year. Congratulations also on your mythical Football National Championship back in 1990. Kudos on your one sided rivalry with Nebraska. Hang on to those. They're worth slightly more than the nickel you incorrectly valued my Cal degree at.

So glad to see that you're living up to your low expectations you web warrior you. Read some more Anthony Bourdain. Really, your snarkiness might improve.

Sharp of you to avoid conversations about your relative academic ranking. If I were you, I would too. CU is a fine school with many smart graduates. It's just that NO CAL GRADUATE would ever have considered going to school there. That's fine, your town is a lovely place to smoke weed for four or five years in, if that's your thing.

Think we're insecure about our prestige relative to Stanford? Yes, some of are because we care about being better than our rival in everything. If you had one, you might understand.

And no. You have no idea about my degree and the pride, sense of accomplishment and prestige it brings me. You'd never understand how it feels when people stop me as I travel the world wearing my Cal gear and ask me in astonishment "Did you go to Cal?"

Academic smack talk works better when the conversation isn't so clearly one sided. Perhaps you can engage some Sun Devils on that topic?

So let's return to sports. Congratulations on your Pac 12 BB Championship last year. Congratulations also on your mythical Football National Championship back in 1990. Kudos on your one sided rivalry with Nebraska. Hang on to those. They're worth slightly more than the nickel you incorrectly valued my Cal degree at.
Are you sure you are not misinterpreting this interaction?

The denial here runs pretty deep. Let's be honest, the Stanford degree is far more coveted in the work place than a Cal degree. The insecurity is real because public perception is Stanford > Cal. It's a rivalry for sure, and I can also see how you want to one up Stanford in everything they do, but it's also a rivalry where you guys come up short with regularity.

Oh, I am positive. I know it's hard for you to understand as the incredulous response is the one with which you may have experience with.
I get both, actually.

And only fools are positive. Especially if they go to a school with Cal's athletic history.

Edit: I feel like I need to explain the first line of my response. I doubt our Cal friends will get it. **** it. I'm lazy.

Last edited:
The denial here runs pretty deep. Let's be honest, the Stanford degree is far more coveted in the work place than a Cal degree. The insecurity is real because public perception is Stanford > Cal. It's a rivalry for sure, and I can also see how you want to one up Stanford in everything they do, but it's also a rivalry where you guys come up short with regularity.
As far as general perception is concerned, you are absolutely correct about Stanfurd having more prestige. It is a much smaller private school. The impact of the two degrees in the real world are similar though. That's where you are wrong but how would you know?

Listen, the one thing I'll grant you is that you've all been spot on with hitting that nerve amongst some Cal alums. I personally am sick of it. It's a tired old refrain.

Good chatting with you fellas. You're mostly good sports and I've enjoyed the repartee. Ciao, for now.

2010, 2011? are you a stalker?

I was dormant for a while, but somehow one of these fools called me out a month ago and for what reason? I'm good at reading when I'm on the ****ter, but typing is another level.

Also,to any buff from somewhere than Cal, 'fool' or 'foo' is a term of endearment.

To any Cal fans from somewhere other than Colorado, **** is a term of endearment.

Back