What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recruits say, Nebraska fans are the most annoying on twitter

Athlon ranked the Huskers the seventh most difficult game for Oregon this year.

One spot behind head coach Mike Riley's former team Oregon State, the same team that Athlon previewed with such optimism as "returning to a bowl game isn't an outlandish expectation."

7r1BZDU.gif

On a serious note, you have to admit the Mike Riley hire was so underwhelming to just about every Nub fan. I'm not sold on Gary Anderson without Dave Aranda running his defense, but Riley is meh.
Let's say that Nebraska actually goes 5-7 this year. Riley would be 20-18 in 3 years there after the previous guy was fired for only winning 9 games a season. I think his minimum is 8-4 if he wants to keep his job for next season.

Let's say that Nebraska actually goes 5-7 this year. Riley would be 20-18 in 3 years there after the previous guy was fired for only winning 9 games a season. I think his minimum is 8-4 if he wants to keep his job for next season.
Can never tell with Nebraska. Fired Solich after 6 seasons and averaging 9.6 wins/year. Fired Callahan after 4 seasons, going 27-22 (6.75 wins/year). Fired Pelini after 7 seasons, going 67-27 (9.5 wins/year). Even if Riley goes 6-6 this year and makes a bowl game (that they win), that puts him at 22-17 through 3 seasons, which would basically put him in the Callahan territory.... And that's after taking over a fairly talented 9 win team.

The problem is that Nebraska and their fans will always put them on the pedestal of being one of college football's blue bloods, which they haven't been for some time and will never be again. Fan and AD expectations have not slowed with reality.

Can never tell with Nebraska. Fired Solich after 6 seasons and averaging 9.6 wins/year. Fired Callahan after 4 seasons, going 27-22 (6.75 wins/year). Fired Pelini after 7 seasons, going 67-27 (9.5 wins/year). Even if Riley goes 6-6 this year and makes a bowl game (that they win), that puts him at 22-17 through 3 seasons, which would basically put him in the Callahan territory.... And that's after taking over a fairly talented 9 win team.

The problem is that Nebraska and their fans will always put them on the pedestal of being one of college football's blue bloods, which they haven't been for some time and will never be again. Fan and AD expectations have not slowed with reality.
Yep. In truth, the amazing thing with Nebraska is that Devaney was able to accomplish what he did and that they were able to land Osborne right after. Before Devaney, that was a program that won about 1/3 of its games.

On a serious note, you have to admit the Mike Riley hire was so underwhelming to just about every Nub fan. I'm not sold on Gary Anderson without Dave Aranda running his defense, but Riley is meh.
We'll see. I think it was a great hire though. Yes, in the beginning the hire seemed underwhelming to many. But after seeing what he is doing and the staff he is/has assembled, it looks to be a program now quickly going in the right direction.

Many outsiders don't know how bad the program was situated under Pelini, especially when it came to the talent of the players he was recruiting and signing on. He didn't really go after top rated players. Not sure why? It will take Riley a season or two for real progress to be made. Just look at how his recruiting is going so far this season. The class is only going to have 15-18 members, with the majority being strong 4**** recruits.

So throw trash talk towards the Husker program if you want. The real truth will be revealed beginning this season and into next.

We'll see. I think it was a great hire though. Yes, in the beginning the hire seemed underwhelming to many. But after seeing what he is doing and the staff he is/has assembled, it looks to be a program now quickly going in the right direction.

Many outsiders don't know how bad the program was situated under Pelini, especially when it came to the talent of the players he was recruiting and signing on. He didn't really go after top rated players. Not sure why? It will take Riley a season or two for real progress to be made. Just look at how his recruiting is going so far this season. The class is only going to have 15-18 members, with the majority being strong 4**** recruits.

So throw trash talk towards the Husker program if you want. The real truth will be revealed beginning this season and into next.
So the Nubs are on the 4-5 year program? That's cool, so was CU... The only difference is MacIntyre inherited a Mountain West team, while Riley inherited a team that won 9 games.

Enough people in the industry have complimented Riley for me to think he's a pretty solid head coach. No doubt he needs a specific system to finally start winning games in Lincoln, but I think it's a problem that his teams are soft AF. And the Big Ten keeps improving with coaching hires. Is Riley a top 5 coach in his conference (heck, in his division)? Clickbait Athlon has him 9th and I think it's very likely that Brohm is the real deal.

The staff he has now is ??? Diaco was a good hire, the Huskers paid him a lot of money to come to Lincoln. My only is question is how much time does he have? Riley needs Ws now - can they really change the scheme and win >7 games? Donte Williams is killing it in recruiting, that's all well and good, that's what he was hired for. But you're on a message board that would tell you that we wouldn't have considered any of Arizona's defensive staff an amazing hire. He also has to be able to coach otherwise you just become UCLA with NFL talent that gets toasted.

You guys want your OL, QB/OC, and RB coach fired lol. What an incredible staff!

Last edited:

Are we seriously getting the "We are gonna be good! You'll see!" from the Nubs? How far they have fallen.

Are we seriously getting the "We are gonna be good! You'll see!" from the Nubs? How far they have fallen.
Worse. It's to the point of: "Maybe not this year, but we're building toward something that should start breaking through and clicking at some point next season. And we're hoping it arrives early."

So far, the rumors had just been mostly guys who aren't super impactful. Not necessarily the worst attrition, but Huskers fans think they might not even be in the 80s when it comes to scholarship #s when it's all said and done. Seems like some pretty bad roster management and myopia. And then there's this:

My guy @Buffnik you really understand roster management and balance. According to this link, Nebraska currently sits at 79 players on scholarship for '17, with at least two more attrition candidates, and potentially one additional impactful one. They are also trying desperately to qualify two '17 recruits, one who looks doubtful, and one who was supposed to find out on June 10th if he qualified and there hasn't been any announcement yet.

Would 74-75 scholarship athletes be ideal? That seems bad but maybe the attrition really is necessary enough?

My guy @Buffnik you really understand roster management and balance. According to this link, Nebraska currently sits at 79 players on scholarship for '17, with at least two more attrition candidates, and potentially one additional impactful one. They are also trying desperately to qualify two '17 recruits, one who looks doubtful, and one who was supposed to find out on June 10th if he qualified and there hasn't been any announcement yet.

Would 74-75 scholarship athletes be ideal? That seems bad but maybe the attrition really is necessary enough?
Hard to build depth up quickly from 75. Just look at the struggles USC had with the NCAA sanctions. Nebraska won't have the same attrition as USC where a lot of talent goes pro after 3 years, but it's still tough. With class limits at 25, it takes 2-3 years to recover from that low of a number.

If they have a large senior class that could be trouble considering they could already be 10 scholarships short this year.
Exactly. They'd be better off with a very small Senior class in 2017. I'm too lazy to look into it.

Exactly. They'd be better off with a very small Senior class in 2017. I'm too lazy to look into it.
Correct the 2017 Senior class is very small in 2017. Perhaps about 10. The number in the class is due to the previous coach's roster management and attrition due to going to the NFL.

Back