What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ryan Day - Head Coach Ohio State Buckeyes

Ok I’m all in on this guy now.
”Ryan Day is a very brilliant offensive mind," Biddle said. "He is one of those guys when you talk to them, they just have that 'it' factor and you think, 'Okay, this guy is a future head coach.' He is a rising star."

I had forgotten he was hired the same year as Kevin Wilson (former Indiana HC and Oklahoma OC) and despite being 18 years younger with far less experience, Day is the one calling the offense. There are 3 assistants on that staff with head coaching experience in the Big10 yet 39 year old Day got the interim job when Meyer was suspended. And 2 of the 3 blue chip recruits mentioned in that article that Day currently has committed are a 5* WR from Texas and a top 5 pro-style QB in the 2020 class from Arizona.

This guy has everything you want from a young HC candidate. He’s going to be a HC somewhere and I’m totally on board with Day now - make it happen RG!

This conjecture has got me from six to midnight noon. I better not get blue balls before this Day is done.

Okay, okay. I can get on board with this, Meyer trusted him to run the team. I think this would be a good choice.

Serious question. Going back to what Ralphie Report said the other day. He doesn’t really have any ties to the west coast as far as I can see. But, as far as “waiting on urban to retire” seems like extreme speculation from their part. Any reason to believe this would be the case?

Well shoot, if we miss out on Day then it better be Lake... if no announcement tomorrow after the PAC12 Champ. game then either this source is wrong or we need to hold out for a surprise like Schiano or something. This process is certainly tiring!

I didn't open the link, but the only reason I think he'd stay is the promise of the HC job at tOSU. I'd rather have it that way then have him for a year or two, then lose him because that job is a clause in his contract that lets him out. I hope this source is wrong tho!

I didn't open the link, but the only reason I think he'd stay is the promise of the HC job at tOSU. I'd rather have it that way then have him for a year or two, then lose him because that job is a clause in his contract that lets him out. I hope this source is wrong tho!
I did open the link and that's essentially what it said. If true, I'm thinking OSU was holding out hope no one would be after him this year (idots) but when the heat got turned up, they are going to back up the Brinks truck again.
The one small flicker of hope I have from the article is there is no mention Day being connected to the CU job.

I did open the link and that's essentially what it said. If true, I'm thinking OSU was holding out hope no one would be after him this year (idots) but when the heat got turned up, they are going to back up the Brinks truck again.
The one small flicker of hope I have from the article is there is no mention Day being connected to the CU job.

How much more are they going to pay him?

For comparison
HCMM made 3.3mil, CU job likely offereing in the 3.5 - 4mil range
The top coordinator in the country, Aranda, makes 1.8mil
Day currently makes 1.5mil

For comparison
Yeah, it wouldn't be about money to keep him there. If Day stays in Columbus, it's because Urban is done after this season, or they have amended his contract to be HCIW in 2020. The last part would be really stupid, btw. They're Ohio State. They can get any coach in the country not named Saban or Dabo.

For comparison
This is a good point. Would he really turn down ~$2M/yr to stay at tOSU? I'm still holding out hope - perhaps the reports got a little too close to the truth the day before the BIG10 title game tomorrow and tOSU/Day camps had to put something out to keep everyone focused.

Yeah, it wouldn't be about money to keep him there. If Day stays in Columbus, it's because Urban is done after this season, or they have amended his contract to be HCIW in 2020. The last part would be really stupid, btw. They're Ohio State. They can get any coach in the country not named Saban or Dabo.
Just read elsewhere that the NCAA has an interesting rule that may hamper this whole thing for tOSU. If you are formally named HCIW, your are governed by the same recruiting rules as the HC.

By doing that, tOSU would be at a pretty significant recruiting disadvantage. Going to be very interesting to see what happens here.

For comparison
Well keep in mind it would only be for 1 year. I am almost sure they could bump him up to whatever CU is willing to pay for a year and then promote him to head coach. We will see.

Just read elsewhere that the NCAA has an interesting rule that may hamper this whole thing for tOSU. If you are formally named HCIW, your are governed by the same recruiting rules as the HC.

By doing that, tOSU would be at a pretty significant recruiting disadvantage. Going to be very interesting to see what happens here.
If he's staying I think it's likely Urban is retiring after this season and Day would be named HC for 2019, which obviously, we can't be too upset about losing our potential HC to Ohio State...

Back